Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

today, d&g is so popular. it truly is a very good juice. that tobacco note is sooo nice. when people can tell you what you're wearing then its time to put it up for a little while

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

my very first powerhouse frag.a true throwback and a classic standing the test of time.great sillage and longevity .body heat activates sweetness in obsession, understand what I'm talkin bout.

Santa Fe for Men by Aladdin Fragrances

I like this one.I would like to find a similar frag lasting longer and ties everything together better.a must try, very cheap price too

colormechris's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Tweed seems to have become a cult of sorts in the world of fragrance. So much so that I was tempted to buy it blind. Join a cult? What the heck! But a hundred bucks? Then I was at the mall and stumbled upon a little fragrance kiosk. I was perusing the men's scents and then was shocked to see it sitting there. With a trembling finger I pointed to it and asked the girl if I could try it. She said "Sure..." and proceeded to get the box. She was so non-chalant about it. Did she not know what she was holding in her hand? The Rosetta Stone of scent? The Gutenberg Bible of fragrance? The Holy Grail of the Art of Perfumerie?
    She handed me the elegant bottle and I sprayed the scent on my wrist. I was about to enter the mysterious House of Creed! I was prepared to be nothing less that transported to the rolling hills of Ireland and beyond...Beyond Hibernian Bliss to some other realm that was perhaps an outer chamber of Heaven!
    I drew my wrist to my nose and after an unbearable pause, inhaled. I did not soar. I crashed and burned and woke up to find myself in a mall. "Thank you" I meekly croaked to the girl and stumbled away. I sniffed again. Is that all there is? What does this have to do with Ireland? What does it have to do with the venerable textile? Is it even Green, for that matter?
    I was distraught and confused. I sat down at a table in the food court and regained my composure. Now that I knew what Green Irish Tweed wasn't, I wanted to know what Green Irish Tweed was.
    I smelled again. There was indeed a green overture, but it was a sickly green. Like those clots of grass that clog the underside of a lawnmower and have to be scraped out. Or more precisely like when the autumn leaves first start decaying in the gutter at the end of October. Not a good start. Eventually, this went away and there was a generic light green scent that could've been a weak cousin of Brut by Faberge. And that was it.
    Thank goodness I didn't blow a hundred bucks on it. I'd rather wear the Brut.
    I do, however, bet it smells pretty good on Quincy Jones. But then, probably everything smells good on Quincy Jones.

colormechris's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Undeniably an "instant classic" from the very first sniff. Thanks Tom Ford for having the nuts to create a REAL fragrance! Speaking of which, this captures the "essence of manhood" from down around that general area after all the cedar and incense dissipates. Much like the original Rive Gauche captured the "essence of womanhood" in the 1970's. A 70's theme here? Definitely a 70's vibe from Gucci Pour Homme (what I guess is what President Ford wanted and he's gotten, Big Time!)
    This one seems to evoke a lot of memory response in people. For me, my immediate thought was: "Sex in a church!" Not that that is an actual memory of mine...maybe a fantasy?
    Even the bottle looks like a low-ball glass from that era, brimming with Chivas Regal.
    My only criticism...too much cedar for too long a time...otherwise fragrance Heaven.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

This smells absolutely joyful. I think I remember someone saying that this is what people in heaven would smell like, and I simply have to agree. This fragrance, with its lemon batter scent, does it for me everytime.

Thumbs way, way up!

Cool Water by Davidoff

I had many a night spent in olfactory agony in the early 90s at college parties at which the boys had gone a bit crazy with the application of Cool Water. I had a pronounced recoil to this one for years afterwards.

Then I bought a 5ml bottle on a whim at Wal-Mart and I am completely turned around on CW. This is a GREAT fragrance, one of the best in my collection. It smells absolutely wonderful, and that "chromatic blue" smell is terrific. I think this one well deserves the title of "Modern Classic".

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

This just simply has to be a thumbs up for me. I'd started my experience with The Third Man on a bit of a wrong footing. The initial, and long-lasting blast of Lavendar was a tad offputting.

After allowing it to settle however, what a fanstastic scent. The drydown is heavenly and I just love smelling myself as I take off my shirt in the evening after work.

Highly recommended. For knowledgeable noses only!

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

For what it is--a middle-of-the-road, inoffensive fragrance--I think it deserves a thumbs up, but the construction itself and the tiresome citrus and (for me), the fact it's a Kenneth Cole, turns that thumb partway down.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Brit is definitely a sensual perfume. I was lucky enough to get this at a bargain price and I felt like I'd just found gold.

It is one of my fragrances I find is never wrong to wear, never out of place.

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

The notes in Chez Bond are, in a word, terrific! Of the Bond no.9s I've tried (Riverside Drive, New Haarlem, and Bleecker Street), CB takes the cake.

To those who denigrate it for being a copy of GIT, I say: so what if it is? It's a wonderful, heady fragrance that instantly provokes the idea of wealth and class!

Highly recommended.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

i ordered a sample due to the responses i read. i even posted a community blog to ask ladies which fragrances for men they like on themselves. I thought i'd give eau sauvage a try.

i put it on my skin and a strong citrus scent was present. vey lemony... then it dried down to a faint smell, and very quiclky. in about 10 to 15 minutes, i had a faint soapy smell on me that soon disappeared completely. I would say overall, if that last scent remained on my skin, the scent would not have been so bad, but it was truly gone, nothing.

Gendarme by Gendarme

I was looking for clean and i love men scents. Gendarmen was recommended in a posting for a clean, coapy men's frag.

the lady behind the counter sprayed it and i immediately thought i smelled familiar.
    It was not what i was looking for. I did not smell clean, it smelled floral and sweet, flowers. that afternoon, i got back home and went on to base notes because i had figured out what it smelled like. i own the philosophy, grace perfume, and that is what gendarme smelled like to me. i typed philosophy in and behold, someone else had posted the same opinion.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I have read many posts on basenotes and vetiver was a reoccoring theme. i went out to try it. i drove an hour and a half to a bloomingdales and tried it out.
    i first sprayed the card. I kept smelling the card nad after a while thought this one is wrist worthy. At first, it is citrusy. I was looking for soapy. I didn;t really get that, but vetiver quickly lost the citrus smell and i could smell the vetiver (faintly) and spices. Maybe the coriander, perhaps the nutmeg.
    in the end it leaves a spicy-clean smell on my skin. i don't have any fragrances that do that. I bought a bottle online ( much cheaper that bloomingdales) and i have worn it for about a week. i haven't received any compliments yet, but i like the originaliy of the smell and i think it will do just fine in my fragrance rotation.
    unfortunately, it doe not last long on my skin (to me), but if i wash my hands, or rewet the fragrance in some way, it pops back to life.

Angel Schlesser Homme by Angel Schlesser

I tried angel out because it was recommendeed for someone who was looking for clean and soapy.
    i did not get that. i got sweet and foodish. My guess is i am smelling a pepper and sweet rice smell.
    imo it would be a good scent if you like those angel A por homme smells that are "food" like in scent.

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

Simply put ladies, this is sex in a bottle (at least to my sensitive nose).
    It is appropriate ONLY in the bedroom. Women who wear this as a daytime/office scent are sadistic!
    Ten out of Ten!

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

This is a classic fragrance that anyone, male or female, over 35 should appreciate. I rarely smell this on women these days, but when I do, it leaves a memorable, and nostalgic, impression. They don't make them like this anymore. If I could choose only two women's fragrances for the woman in my life, it would be Lauren for daytime, and Dolce & Gabbana for night/romance.
    Lauren has great staying power and is complex and sophisticated, yet feminine and sweet -- very UN-unisex. If you are a girly-girl, or just want to pretend, this is a great fragrance. --Just one 40 year old manly man's opinion.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This is a love it or hate it scent. If you like it, try flowerbomb or Miss Dior Cheri. Angel is heavy and long lasting, but there are better examples of the style. Angel is heavy on the food/chocolate scent. I like it, but flowerbomb is more subtle and possibly longer lasting. Sillage is excellent on Angel as well as FB and MDC.

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I recently sampled this at Nordstrom's on a female customer's wrist. It's very similar (but a bit less "foody") than Angel. The two are very similar, but I think FB is more feminine, and has greater mass appeal, than Angel. Viktor and Rolf claim 16+ hours longevity, and sillage is excellent. Of the two, FB is superior to Angel IMO, and is more suited to the more discreet and discriminating 30+ woman. If you are into gourmand (edible) fragrances you can't go wrong with this one. It is expensive, but also exclusive. If you like the candy style but want to stand out from the crowd, this is the one to buy.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

This is elegant, effervescent, and sweet, with a definite candy overtone- reminds me of the (now discontinued) Byblos Cielo. It exudes innocence more than seduction, and is like a quarter-strength V&R Flowerbomb. It's appropriate for everyday office wear. I think it's being marketed to teens, but I just bought a bottle for my 35+ wife because it is so YUMMY!

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

This is just watered down L'eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake. L'eau is a bit potent for the office - this might be a nice substitute if you like L'eau D'Issey.
    Just another generic citrus/aquatic with no staying power. I think it lasted about an hour on me. If you like this frag, try the real thing. Issey Miyake lasts for about 12 hours and a spritz is all you need.

Burberry London by Burberry

Can you say honeysuckle? I bought this as a Christmas gift for my wife because we both love honeysuckle. I think there may be some jasmine thrown in for good measure. It is a very feminine, somewhat sweet, and alluring floral. I can't speak for the longevity yet, but I LOVED IT when my wife sampled it. It reminded me a bit of Beautiful, but much more toned down.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Heavy cotton candy note from the get- go. It fades gradually, but doesn't change much on the way down. I think this last about 3 hours with good sillage, probably more like 6 hours up close. I like this alot, but it is very simple. If you like this scent, you will like Fantasy by Brittany Spears, and probably Angel by Thierry Mulger and Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf. Angel and FB will last FOREVER -- 10+ hours each. Pink Sugar is more of a teenage scent, but who doesn't want to feel young now and then??? It is a playful and capricious scent that will draw compliments, probably along the lines of, "you smell good enough to eat"!

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Wanted to love it, well, at least like it. I bought it on the cheap, while traveling or was I travelling on the cheap? Anyways, these days, the powers that be love to take things away randomly at the aiport security check-in, so I wasn't taking any chances with my Serge Lutens or Creed bottles. I bought a 1.6 Fl. Oz. bottle at T.J. Maxx for $16 bucks.
    To me it's one of those 80's fresh fragrances that can be mistaken for a disinfectant. A total non-sexual scent. It's not unpleasant and the drydown is in-offensive, but I would rather a splash of Eau Savauge any day. Way to hospital for me.

charlotte's avatar

Emporio Armani Remix She by Giorgio Armani

The first time I've tried it I really fell in love!! So fruity and tat the same time very glamourous!!!

linnea's avatar

Marc Jacobs Essence by Marc Jacobs

I found this fragrance to be a gorgeous, lush bouquet of gardenia. It is so well done and just lovely. Unfortunately, it does not work well with my skin chemistry. I wish I could wear it.

linnea's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Muscs Koublaï Khän is my new favorite scent. I opened my decant and was initially shocked at how soft and sweet-smelling it seemed. I put it on and at first it was very light and unassuming, and then once it warmed on my skin, a humongous cumin note exploded. When the fragrance started opening up I thought, "Oh God...I can never wear this to work!" I smelled the cumin and was afraid that I would get a ton of funky cumin-type odor.

However, the scent has changed a lot on my skin after 20 minutes. Since then it's gotten richer and richer. There's a definite incense note on my skin, and the scent is just fabulous. It's not funky or musty at all, just sexy, spicy, and very exotic.

Someone here on basenotes posted something about, "Men smell like this all the time, but I think a woman might be embarrassed to smell like this." On me, it smells very nice. I am very pleased because I've got an entire bell jar of this stuff coming in the post, so I'm thrilled that it seems to work with my skin chemistry!

The drydown on MKK is really spectacular. It's almost caramelly-sweet musk that makes me feel like the most desirable woman on the planet! The fragrance just keeps blossoming and getting better and better on my skin. I feel VERY sorry for the folks whose skin chemistry made it smell like a urinal. On me, this fragrance is delightful and I wear Muscs Koublaï Khän every day.

Ojay's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Well, I have been testing this, trying to like it.
    It is by no means offensive but reminds me
    too much of cotton candy. Not a bad frag, I'm sure works well with some people.

Silvergirl's avatar

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

Im about 30 minutes into testing this, and I have to disagree with the 'ripped-off hypnotic poison' comparison. They're in the same neighborhood, but definetely not neighbors. Ange ou Demon is more floral, and less potent. Can't speak yet for the full development, but so far this is a charming, sweet, relatively simple, well-blended fragrance. Don't think the name quite fits though... to me this is definetely 'Ange', with no 'Demon'. ***/*****

vawallpa's avatar

Rush for Men by Gucci

After trying the classic Gucci Pour Homme for men I decided to see what else Gucci had to offer and gave this one a go. I was very disappointed. It overpowers you with a woody/leaves autumn smell that I couldn't get off my clothes. You have been warned.