Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Azzemour by Crabtree & Evelyn

My first love. As soon as I opened the box I was amazed at how spicy it is. The first thing you notice is spice, the wonderful floral undertones and finaly amber. It has top notes of African violet and Morrocan rose, with a middle of spices and bergamot, and base notes of amber and wood notes. Wonderful, its exotic, but seems like something a sexy french woman would wear.

26 December, 2006

fearful_symmetry's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Over the years, SMW has been the only consistent presence in my collection. My friends associate this scent with my very identity: it is my signature scent.

I personally think this is Creed's most distinctive scent. In contrast to what some others below have shared, I really can't smell the black currant. I definitely smell the tea note, but it serves in a rather complimentary role in the overall composition to the vanillish note and the infamous "ink note" that i always have a hard time articulating to others. While granting that i wear this cologne more often than any other, i would like to mention that it generates a lot of compliments.

Some others have mentioned the poor longevity. Creed intended for this to be a VERY light summer scent, lingering close to the skin rather than projecting lots of sillage (that is why the body wash is available in SMW). I myself like this smell far too much for it to rest light on my skin. My solution is to purchase the scent from (gasp) large online second-hand retailers. Ordinarily I would never recommend this, but I discovered that the older the bottle is, the longer it lasts and the greater the sillage. Compared to a fresh bottle, an older bottle will smell a little more deep in vanilla, tea, ink and ambergris, but otherwise not at all much different. Older bottles of Creed project more and last longer because the notes have had more time to mingle and settle (of course, true of most scents). While this can ruin certain scents, for my taste it amplifies what i love of SMW with little drawback. This way, SMW lasts 3 times as long and projects a hell of a lot more for me, keeping me very satisfied. For SMW, I always buy it at above mentioned bulk retailers, with the specific request that they send me their oldest bottle when possible. This is my tip (from a long satisfied fan) for those who love the smell but wish it lasted longer.

Midsummer Man by Oriflame

Refined vanilla, citrus and fruity notes. Both aquatic and solar fragrance, reminding of the two essential elements in any usual depiction of summer- sun and sea. Interesting balance between cool and hot, between fiery and watery, tough more inclined towards a northern depiction of a summer day: moderathe warmth while the more cooling notes tend to exceed, reminding far more of a pale sun with an elusive, almost mysteriously dim glitter. Also a sweet unisex quality making it quite similar to today's aquatic teenager scents, yet the drydown, the longer lasting impression is slightly more luxurious, as more classic and less synthetic ingredients of the woody and spicy kind are more obvious.

27 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2008)

Glacier by Oriflame

Fresh, but rather plain scent, not bad but clean and innofenssive in a neutral, nondescript, almost shallow way. The strong, green herbs are very easily recognizable, tarragon especially, giving this scent a very sporty, almost casual( in an unrefined, unstylish way) style. Rather ozonic and windy than watery. The ones( including me) who don't want to smell too casual, too generic should rather avoid this and move on to more refined creations.

Deep Woods by Oriflame

Powerful, but a little too generic woody fragrance. Long lasting, sweet notes towards the end- the least masculine part about this otherwise overtly, energetically virile potion, spicy notes but also a rather questionable woody quality. As it is not a classic, nor very precious, expensive or elaborate, it can get almost any rating between vile and good ( but not perfect) depending on the wearer's skin, time of the day, season, accessorizing with personal wardrobe and so on...

27 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2008)

Manderley's avatar

France France

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Ho Hang is the olfactory translation of the word "understatement" : it sparkles with refinement. Classic (and classy), effortlessly chic, appropriate under just about any circumstance... It is both fresh and sophisticated, perfectly clean yet somewhat "dirty", a little old-fashioned but sure never to go completely out of style : a magnificent scent, for those who know, and need not say more. Bravo !

moondeva's avatar

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Personally I have found this one of the sexiest scents known to man. I prefer my men clean shaven, witty, professional, and preppy and Paco Rabanne XS pour homme is perfect on this type of male. It starts out all sharp herbaceous citrus - perfect for the office or going about your business, but eventually the softer, smoother, animalic (leather, musk) ambery wood (cedar, sandal) base notes begin to come into play and then I find it very hard to keep my mind on business when I am around a man wearing this EDT. XS pour homme is masculine from beginning to end and sexy as h*ll with it! It is so geared to bringing out the best in masculine chemistry that not even I (who can carry off such masculine 'heavies' as YSL M7, Halston Z-14, Crown Perfumery Crown Fougere, Chanel Egoiste, Crown Perfumery Town & Country, etc) can wear it. I just smell like I have been making out heavily with a gorgeous smelling guy. A true classic and a definite member in the 'scents that send women weak at the knees' hall of fame...

Top: Bergamot, Fruit Notes, Galbanum, Green Note, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary, Tarragon, Violet
    Heart: Geranium, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Ozone, Rose

Base note : Sandal, Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla
    (from osmoz.com)

Quixotiq's avatar

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I hated this with a passion at first, but now, I TOTALLY adore the candied orange peel, clove, patchouli combo in this.

27 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2009)

rach2jlc's avatar

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Along with Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, this one is one of my favorite non-sweet, deeply green scents. As others have mentioned, it is very grassy and crisp, but with no florals. I enjoy it in spring and summer best, but also sometimes on a winter day when I want to be reminded of nicer weather. My only complaint is that it doesn't last longer on me (it disappears too quickly), but while it's there it is wonderful.

rach2jlc's avatar

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

This is the best of the crisp, spicy citrus fragrances, but is quite similar to several others on the market (although this one is by far the classiest). My only issue is that I think one could get Eau Sauvage, Eau d'orange verte, or even Eau de Rochas Homme and not find the differences so much as to warrant paying 2.5x's more for the Creed. Nevertheless, it is still a classy, fresh fragrance that smells great in spring and summer.

Scenturio's avatar

Numero Uno by Carthusia

There are so many similarities to the classical Aqua di Parma, that in my view it would be sufficent for a collector of italian scent classics to own just one of them. I would prefer Numero Uno, for its mellower, somehow a little darker basenotes. Anyway a very mediterranean scent, probably recommended for darker skin types, let's say 'latin lover'-models.

steveharrisonmc's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Having had the chance to wear the fragrance 2x. Here are my thoughts. First I think this thing has a rather annoying opening. It's not bad it's just so boring and played out. It smells like orange cleaner. However the key is in the dry down. Once the olive and tonka/wood come out this thing becomes a new fragrance. It has good sillage. It isn't over bearing but it will give just a hint to anyone close by. I love that effect. Love the drydown and squeezed at least a good 7 or 8 hours out of this one.

steveharrisonmc's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

I took a spray on my left wrist. Sillage was poor, the top note was a clear citrus fruit note (tangerine?). I checked back in 2 hours. Nothing. Gone. Granted I had been working out for an hour. However this is supposedly a summer time fragrance. I sweat far less in the gym with AC then in the 90 degree heat of the south. VERY DISSAPOINTING. No real dry down, nothing. Just gone after 2 hours. I expected better from Sean Combs. I guess his fragrance is like his music.

LeMâle's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I have to say this was one of the bigger let downs for me. I was expecting this to be the holy grail of scents, sadly I was mistaken. This opens up with a very strong licorice note, black licorice at that. From there it got better, though it did take two hours. I cannot imagine spending the money for this however.

ifconfig's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Intriguing scent, smelling as it does of dirt, at once dry and wet. And heat, yes, shimmering heat off the desert floor. Strange, but lovely, a definite must-buy.

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

Ok, so some people think it's dirty, but dirty can be good... There aren't enough positive reviews here and it is a good, complex perfume.
    I got really strong cinammon and obviously the undeniable cumin, drying down to ambery, leather and sandlewood combination. Very warm and comes across more floral than you'd expect. Although this is coming from someone who likes the smell of body odour.. ha

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

What? I've been wearing this for the past week -another unsuccessful christmas present, (why do people buy you random fragrance when it's such a personal thing!?)It just smells of acetone on me, maybe a bit like Elnett hairspray after a while, but definitely not floral at all. I have to say, after I'd sprayed it on my friends to get rid of some of the stuff, they thought it was nice on them, and they thought it was a floral. I guess it's just me that's not an Addict 2. I don't think it changed at all after the dry down but still Try before you buy!

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

I really wanted to like this but all i got was lemon, really before it disappeared completely. Might hve to try it again but it did irritate my skin too.

Scentsibility's avatar

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Put me firmly in the predictable, linear drydown camp. I blind-sprayed my new sample on a blustery, overcast, winter morning. It wrapped me in its light and fragrant warmth like a cashmere blanket. It is rich and distinctive, but fairly subtle - exactly what I look for in a versatile everyday frag. I can't imagine it offending your coworkers either. As an office frag, it fits the bill far better than MPG Santal Noble, which I find cloying in comparison. These are the only two sandalwoods I have tried, but I intend to sample as many as I can find now, thanks to Tam Dao.

Scentsibility's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

WOW! This one kinda' jumped up and stabbed me in the neck if you know what I mean... That birchtar note is VERY pungent! However, after an hour or two, I like it better than Cuiron (sampled the two side by side). It's not as versatile, but is a definite head-turner. It dries down to an almost "smoke and birchtar gourmand" (what a strange concept), with hints of leather, and a slight medicinal quality (probably that birchtar again).

This is not for the office, or everyday wear, but is a marvelous distinctive scent that everyone should sample at least once in a lifetime.

Femme's avatar

Slovenia Slovenia

Intimate by Revlon

This scent as originally produced by Revlon, the house that was once able to produce very classy and distinctive scents at a very available price (like "Charlie", the original).

It was a lovely, unforgettable, very "Old World" chypre, with a wonderful dry-down. Two of its peculiarities were that the dry-down was practically the same as its initial notes (which is a definite plus in this case) and that it quickly subsided into a very subtle fragrance which then lingered for at least 10-12 hours, sometimes even longer.

At some point "Intimate" was discontinued, but was later resuscitated by the house of Jean Philippe. The smell doesn't seem to have changed, and the bottle is even lovelier now.

This is a definite keeper!

Noa by Cacharel

My sister wore this. Its elegant, soft. Smells mostly of white musk and light floral. A very nice fragrance. Not terribly original or sexy, but wonderful smelling. Perfect for a young woman with a taste for light-airy slightly powdery perfumes.

No. 5 by Chanel

My Grandmother wore this. This might be why it smells so old-ladyish to me. However, I tend to prefer classic, older fragrances, Shalimar and Guerlain parfums in particular. Chanel No. 5 smells bitter and chemically to me... Kind of like bugspray.

Poison by Christian Dior

My mom always wore this. It's so exotic and soft. Under the awesome floral and woody- notes it smells like a grape popsickle, in a good way. (Without being overly sweet.) I love it.

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

This is a soft, lovely scent. I can see a mom wearing it. It just smells good. It's simple, not complex. Not very sexy or mysterious, but classy and calming.

White Musk by Body Shop

My sister wears this. Despite it's unisex rating, it is very feminine. Soft, light, musky. It seems to linger and follow the person who wears it. Nice, but unoriginal. More of a scent than a real perfume. For women who just want to smell "nice."

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I hate it. It does everything a perfume shouldnt. If someones wearing it, the whole room can smell it. It's way too strong, suffocating. It is also juvenile. For teenage girls trying to be sexy, not for women who are confidently sexy.

Crystal Noir by Versace

Great dark, sexy fragrance. Spicy-oriental perfumes are by far my favorite. Great for evening. When I wear it, I can't help but sniff myself. My current favorite, I can see it becoming my "signature" fragrance.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Sour, gross, and overly complex. A million different florals hitting you at once. Kind of old-ladyish, in a bugspray, not classic way.

Betsey Johnson Parfum by Betsey Johnson

Absolutly horrible! It's overly sweet and syrupy, it smells really strongly of Grapefruit, then a sick floral blend (lillies, in parfum?) knocks you over. Smells like some cheap perfume a trashy teenage girl would wear.