Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

arabesque's avatar
    arabesque

Gold by Donna Karan

Very nice, smells great. Still, nothing outstanding or original. A good anonymous fragrance, good for everyday wear or at the office. Soft, floral, grown-up. For a woman with modern taste, in her 30's.

gregmech26's avatar
    gregmech26

Pi by Givenchy

This is the only cologne I wear. Givenchy PI has a unique "sweet-vanilla-sugar" smell. I wish I could find something else like it.

szada's avatar
    szada
    Monaco Monaco

Mediterráneo by Antonio Banderas

I think it's a good scent. I heard from girls that it's very interesting and sexy... My girlfriend liked it very much on me!

LeMâle's avatar
    LeMâle

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

After previously giving this one a thumbs down, I have finally come around to appreciating the delicate scent that this is. It is yet another Jean-Claude Ellena fragrance that is somewhat muted and less in your face that I can truly appreciate for the beauty that is L'eau D'hiver.

27 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2012)

LeMâle's avatar
    LeMâle

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is one of those that one day I will love and then the next I'll hate. I love how this smells after a few hours, it is an amazing gourmand. I do however occasionally dislike the top notes, I find them a bit of a let down for something as great as Angel Men. The drydown however makes up for the opening, and makes this one smell incredibly delicious, I would never hesitate to wear this granted I had a few minutes to allow the opening to die down.

27 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2012)

Mario Justiniani's avatar
    Mario Justiniani
    Cuba Cuba

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The only reason I could think for wearing this is to freak out all the Yatagan users, especially if you go to steakhouses for dinner and they order their meat rare--stand on the table, and yell at the waiter to bring in a live cow and a sharp knife.

Pass on this, yes even in minute quantities. Pass on A*men in minute quantities, How about layering one with--never mind, let's keep or food down . . .

absynthium's avatar
    absynthium

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

i ve tested it yesterday and actually i 've to say this is a totally bewitching fragrance ,absolutely the best mainstream fragrance of the year

Manderley's avatar
    Manderley
    France France

Derby by Guerlain

Derby is one of the fragrances I cherish the most. I actually almost never wear it because I am just rarely in the mood for it, but I like to know it is <i>right there</i>. It is the only true male "perfume" in my opinion : it exudes serene luxury and utmost refinement in an exclusive, distinctive and uncompromising sort of way, like the smell of a world that's almost gone. For all those moments when you need to feel like you're worth a million dollars ! ;)

28 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2009)

rach2jlc's avatar
    rach2jlc

Epicéa by Creed

If you like pine, this is one you simply must have. It is clean, fresh, crisp (thanks to some mint), and yet quite warm and inviting.

If you don't like pine, however, this one isn't for you. There are certainly more things going on other than pine, but I can smell it easily all the way through to the drydown. Longevity was pretty good for me, as well (unlike many Creed's), and my only other caveat would be that this may be a hard one for younger guys to wear easily. In many cultures, pine trees are symbols of age and experience, and I think that this scent lends a bit of that maturity as well.

rach2jlc's avatar
    rach2jlc

Himalaya by Creed

If you are like me and like odd niche scents (like Rose Poivrée or Cologne Bigarade), then it may take you a few wearings to get used to Himalaya. When I first tried it, I thought it was too safe, too sweet, too conventional, and like far too many other scents on the market obtainable for 1/4 the price. But, after letting it run its course over three or four wearings, I really found this one to be quite pleasant. It is clean, fresh, crisp, but with class to spare. It works very well for daywear, especially for meetings or at work (where, unfortunately, stinky roses or Malle's sweaty oranges just won't cut it). If you try it only once in a store, I don't think it will be enough. Give it three or four full wearings and I think you can "warm up" to Himalaya.

supermarky's avatar
    supermarky

Ten by Intense by 10 Percent Consumer Products

I hvaen't tried it but, puhleez. Anything marketed at gayz called "10 percent"...

the_good_life's avatar
    the_good_life
    Germany Germany

Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

The most meditative fragrance I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Perhaps as close to a holy grail as I will ever come, and this quite literally: warm, comforting, tempering, fortifying, Sandalo is virtually a pocket-size religion. The spiritual dimension and ritualistic importance of several key ingredients support this bold claim. I find the sandalwood to be an immediate presence here and the oils grouped around it serve to emphasize its calmly uplifting woody sweetness rather than the harsher, pungent aspects equally latent in this mysterious Mysore wonder. You will find very different sandalwoods, but none better than Villoresi's intellectual and emotional masterpiece.

wicozani's avatar
    wicozani

MCM Success by MCM

My assistant hadn't even seen me turn the corner yet, but my whereabouts apparently preceded me.

"Sir, donning the old smoking jacket so early in the morning?"

MCM Success is a powerhouse 80s fragrance, yet worn cautiously it remains quite pertinent even today, and I find it a real treat to wear! While there are some floral elements to the top- and mid-notes, the dominant notes to my nose are tobacco and leather. In this vein, it is similar to Creed's Tabarome, though not quite so dry as that classic scent. The earthiness of patchouli is also present in MCM Success, along with vetiver and moss. It is a very masculine scent, and I should definitely wear it more often.

Wicozani

Zenobia's avatar
    Zenobia

Carrìerre by Gendarme

Carriere smells of fresh clean laundry straight after you bring it in from the garden on a sunny day. It's ideal for sport and exercise because you smell very clean and fresh the whole time. Not 'perfumey' but quite aromatic. Lasting power is not bad.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

oozes class, very fresh and inviting. Nice lasting power and sillage

Candie's Men by Candie's

I like this stuff - its long lasting, has some nice sillage, and is refreshing. I luv the watemelon. Good summer frag!

Cold by Benetton

Refreshing summer sent, similar to rykiell ph, but weaker and not sos irritating, Sillage and lasting power r ok

Rochas Man by Rochas

Smooth, and creamy and very sexy. Long lasting and exellent sillage

Rykiel Homme by Sonia Rykiel

I disagree with the majority - this is long lasting, and strong sillage (esp rarer edp version) but it just feels 2 irritating to my nose - also smells very similar to Benneton cold

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Providing that you dont overspray, u get a smooth, creamy leather scent with good lasting power

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Easily one of the best Orientals for men on the market today.

If you're going to get it, though, spend the extra $ and get the EdP version -- you won't regret it.

The heliotrope topnotes are intoxicating, and the ambery rich vanilla drydown is one of the best I've ever encountered, no doubt about it.

treazurekitten's avatar
    treazurekitten

Orgia by Myrurgia

This perfume has a nice strong golden orange color. It is a warm scent, not sweet, but soft and slightly oily/salty. It is musky, but clean musky, a little soapy. Stays close to the skin. Very natural, I think, like someone with good smelling skin. It's ok, but I like fragrances with more to them.

Stelios_X_opa's avatar
    Stelios_X_opa

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

my uncle has a insecticide shop in Greece...pesticides..insecticides.. all that kind of stuff..

i smelled l'bleue and thought... thio kostas shop!!!...

now...the "eau fraiche" LIGHTER more FRESH version, is AMAZING! it isnt listen on here though...

ghotio's avatar
    ghotio

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

My friend got this for me. Smells masculine like a lighter version of Cool Water for man. The scent didn't last too long on me maybe a few hours but the good thing was that it didn't give me a headache like some perfumes. My brother likes it and says it was nice (something he didn't say with the perfumes I liked) but he likes to wear Cool Water for men. Personally it's not for me.

Hoody's avatar
    Hoody

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I'm among those who have not been fans of Vetiver fragrances typically, but this one works very well for me. I received a couple of samples when I purchased Musc Ravageur while in NYC and boy, did I make them last! It has a real freshness to it without smelling like a mass-market clone (not that it should at this price point, granted). I find it vibrant, earthy and masculine without any of the "sour" quality I've experienced while wearing other Vetivers which shall remain nameless. And the longevity for me is almost unmatched. Between this and Terre d'Hermes, do I need any other daytime mainstays? Not for now anyway...Bravo!

mochi227's avatar
    mochi227

Patchouly by Profumum

This is the dirtiest patchouli I've ever smelled. Patchouli's not exactly the cleanest scent, but this is like patchouli encrusted in wet dirt. There's some smokiness here that's present right from first application, and to me the sandalwood smells more "woody" than "sandalwood" to me. Although I'm not a huge fan of patchouli, this one scores points for being different than most. This potent scent clings to the skin. Nuetral because it's not for me, but I can respect it standing apart from a typical patchouli. Longevity is outstanding. I woke up with this still going rather strong on my wrists.

sanatik's avatar
    sanatik
    Germany Germany

Puma Man by Puma

For Evening, Sweet, Oriental, Dynamik.
    Cheap.

Kopfnote
    japanische Sugi-Nadel und Birkenblätter mit geeisten Zitrusnoten wie Bergamotte, Grapefruit und Zitrone

Herznote
    Muskatnuss, Thymian und Minze

Fond
    weißem Moschus, Zedernholz und Eichenmoos

y19mike77's avatar
    y19mike77

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Great stuff. I get kinda a cola with lemon added.

Sybernetic's avatar
    Sybernetic

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I'm not impressed by the scent. I think Herrera by Carolina Herrera is better.

Sybernetic's avatar
    Sybernetic

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This fragrance is genius. It is the essence of what a real man should smell like - the residues of hard work.