Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Sybernetic's avatar

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I would say this is at least unisex. If you're wanting to smell like a man, look somewhere else. I can imagine women wearing this.

28 December, 2006

Sybernetic's avatar

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

While it's not bad, it doesn't jump out as something unique. Smells like alot of other fragrances. It's clean.
    I'm just trying to figure out why hydroponic plum would make a better fragrance than an ordinary plum.

28 December, 2006

flathorn's avatar

Angélique Encens by Creed

This fragrance should be my HG. It has all the Piscean traits I love, BUT... I don't like it. Angelica is a complex essential oil that is transporting in the pure state, but I love it so much I only seem to want it straight up. I have never run across an Angelica-blend perfume I love yet. I want to have what other people describe with this fragrance, and was prepared to fall desperately in love, so it has been a disappointing experience. I will keep trying, and hopefully, one time I'll be transported to the Angelique Encens plane. My experience thus far has kept my feet on the ground.

28 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2013)

kewart's avatar

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

This is one gorgeous perfume!!Deep, velvety, bitter-orange overture with bergamot and mandarin ( an orange lover's dream!) then voluptuous vanilla,passionate patchouli,amazing amber and a suggestion of musk.
    Very sophisticated and ,yes, powdery in a peachy, downy sort of way "kissable cheek" way.

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I was really dissapointed by this one. I was expecting a really lovely and loud floral. All i was presented with was candy floss, it's sickeningly sweet and 'sticky' smelling. Not worth the price (about £50 for 50 mls over here in the UK). Fantastic bottle though!

Omnia by Bulgari

A beautiful, sort of "quiet" oriental, easy to wear, not sweet, more dry, and longlasting, too. The bodylotion is really good! There are more exiting orientals, but I really like this one, as it don´t effend the people around you, yet being a real oriental.

Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle by Agent Provocateur

What a pitty this is a limited edition! I am so glad for it, as I find Agent Provocateur a unique beautiful fraganse, but too strong for me. Eau Emotionelle is a lighter version, very wearable and quite longklasting on my skin, it lasts for about six-seven hours. I do hope AP reconsider this one, and let it be in the ordinary sortiment. If they don´t, I will miss it very much when I finished my bottle.

Intimately Beckham Women by Beckham

The first good thing with this perfume is the price, it is really price-worthy! The frag itself is really beautiful, too, flowery and with a lovely "twist" of personality. It is longlasting, too. It is an unusual welldone frag! I find it really great to create such a lovely frag for such a low price.

Guess Man by Guess

I noticed in a thread on the boards that someone said the new Guess Man is the same as the old Guess Men, only repackaged. No one argued with this there, and the thread is old, so I figured instead of replying to that thread, it might be more useful to post a review here and debunk this notion.

The old Guess Men and new Guess Man could not be more different - they are nothing alike. The old Guess Men, to my nose, is a far superior creation. It is smooth but sharp, warm, classy, sophisticated, and blended in a way that, if I were to smell it without knowing what it is, I may say it's an MPG scent, or possibly some long-lost Patou creation. It's distinctive and interesting, even if it smells a bit like an 80s scent. See Foetidus' excellent review of the original Guess Men to get a great description of that fragrance.

The newer Guess Man smells like so many other new designer scents. To this nose, they all smell the same: sweet, fruity, light and inoffensive, with a light androgynous musky drydown. Nothing that could be offensive to someone (even if that imagined someone has no taste), nothing that might be off-putting in the topnotes (even if it adds incredible depth or interest to the drydown), and nothing that might be perceived as challengining in any way.

In other words, they test well with focus groups in the 1-second paper strip test. Unfortunately that also means that they are boring, as nothing good has ever been created through the process of focus group testing, which tends to reduce everything to the lowest common denominator by removing all the interesting, if potentially challenging, aspects. (As an example, consider the Porsche 911. It would not even exist if its designer had used focus groups. Now that Porsche does use such data to design their cars, their vehicles have lost much of their original character.) In short, the new Guess Man has no character. Judging by the amounts of this already being liquidated on ebay, I guess that the Guess name alone is not selling this product. Maybe companies need to realize that taking a chance on offending some people with something interesting and distinctive is the only way to sell.

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

A boozy, almost wine-like (makes sense, huh?) scent with a sweet, warm, smooth drydown of vanilla, woods, and a suede-like leather. I like 1270, but something about it, maybe the over-ripe fruit, makes it lean a tad to the feminine side, sort of the way the plum note in 10 Corso Como shifts that one from the truly unisex column for me. Frapin 1270 is definitely interesting, unique, and multi-faceted, and well worth checking out if you like sweet, boozy, quasi-foody scents. The woodsiness and suede notes keep it from being too sweet or flubby, and make it a wearable and comforting scent. Pretty good, maybe just not for me.

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Spicy, boozy, woody, warm, and dark, but not really a comfort scent - to my nose, this is more of a social scent. It opens with a prominent whiskey note, which is sweetened just enough to balance the very dry woodsiness underneath. As it dries, the spices come forward, the whiskey fades, but the slight sweetness remains. Going into the base, it's the wood and sweetness that still linger, with maybe just a touch of vetiver. Toward the base, it reminds me a tiny bit of Timbuktu, probably because of the dry, smoky wood note (really though, on the whole, they don't smell much alike).

I don't mean to suggest this is an overly sweet scent - it's not. It's boozy while avoiding those overripe fruit notes that can sometimes be off-putting, often reminding people of urine or puke. This scent has none of that. Idole is airier (that Giacobetti signature touch, as others have put it) than Le Dandy, Ambre Russe, or Frank no.2, all I which I also consider to be "boozy" scents. It's not as sweet as Le Dandy or Ambre Russe. It's smoother and more refined than Frank no. 2, and less overtly "masculine." Idole, because of it's "airy" and modern touch, is also more versatile than any of the other "boozy" scents I listed - I could see wearing this for a special dinner, a night out, a day at the office, or a house party. It's sort of a classy party scent, if that makes sense. And it lasts surprisingly long. After I put it on and it dries, it seems to disappear totally when the whiskey fades, but then I catch whiffs of it again throughout the day. It smells wonderful on my shirt at the end of the day.

I have not yet had to buy a bottle of this because for some reason I keep on receiveing spray samples of it from Lubin! Once those are gone though, I may need to find a bottle of this. Each time I wear it, I like it a bit more and enjoy its versatility. Obviously, I am thumbs-up on this one.

Orris by Tauer

This is probably the most atypical iris scent I've tried. Usually, I find iris to be cold and aloof, with a dustiness that I don't particularly care for. It seems it can add a three-dimensionality, a lushness, to scents that use it judiciously, but normally, I don't find it to be a "pretty" or "sexy" note. Here though, the iris smells more like violets than it does in any other iris scent I've tested. In fact, if it were not named Orris, or if I were testing it blind, I probably would have guessed this was a voilet scent, not an iris scent.

That said, I'm still not sure I would call this scent "pretty." It's more a mysterious and sexy scent than a pretty one. If LesNez's The Unicorn Spell is a violet scent that brings to mind a woman's romanticized memories of her childhood room and the dreams she had there, then Orris is the scent of that same woman, all grown up, dressed to kill, and exuding an air of mystery and confidence. In other words, I find Orris to be a sexy, feminine, grown-up scent.

The Tauer touch is there in the form of a dark, smoky, woodsy base that calls to mind a lighter version of Lonestar Memories. There is also a medicinal quality to this that adds the exoticism and mysteriousness I keep mentioning...probably the agarwood. Like all the other Tauer scents, this just doesn't last that long on me - I get a few good hours out of it. But for those few hours, it's a distinctive and interesting ride. In this case, it's the warmest, sexiest, iris scent I've tried. I probably wouldn't wear it, but I'd love to smell it on a woman.

Rev. Nathan's avatar

OS Signature by Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Picked this one up at Rite-Aid for $10. While a little more costly than its orignal recipe, signature has a new-aged jazz to it that makes the price-point hard to resist. For the $9.49 plus tax, I got a 1.0oz bottle of spray cologne, and a 2.5oz tube of shower gel. This makes it a nifty little set that just about anyone, cologne snob or not, can find as a bargain.

While if it were a full-priced cologne, or even double the price, I would give it a neutral rating, it ranks I feel highest in its catergory (mashed up between Brut Revolution and Axe Labs... the others in this new genre or value-priced cologne).

h_len's avatar

Israel Israel

DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan

it smells and looks like cranberry juice. what can be better than cranberry juice, sometimes? :)

treazurekitten's avatar

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

This smell is from the natural spray perfume mist, white horse enamel bottle. Opens with a minty lightly herbal lavender with heady jasmine tuberose combo. The jasmine tuberose is joined by lemony rose. Only later in the drydown do I smell orange along with mildly fatty, sweetish sandalwood. The lavender is present throughout, although by the end it has more softness like hay. A light floral with herb tea like notes.

tropbelle's avatar

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

Someone who prefers very sweet cocktails and dessert wines to drier drinks might not find Petite Cherie sweet enough but straight up vodka is a poor analogy; it is closer to a flute of chilled prosecco or a Bellini. It smells of pear nectar with hints of honeydew (to me). The fruity top has a natural sweetness to it, rounded out with rose, vanilla and a shade of green.

tropbelle's avatar

Coeur de Vahiné by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Simple and sweet, Hawaiian Punch without the red dye. I first encountered Coeur under its original name: Les Enfants du Soleil. I detected an orange flavor to it, as well as caramelized milk, which I may have imagined. (When I sought it a few years later, it was hard to find: I only remembered "babies on a beach.") The word "enfants" may have put milk on my mind, but I probably sprayed it too close to the spot of Lait Sucre already on my arm.

Solytis by Lomani

I got it as a gift from my dad. It included a deodorant, also with the exact fragrance. I got a big version at eBay. I want to get another deodorant of this fragrance.

Régine's by Régine's

Regines design house launched Regines for women in 1989its a woody, oriental scent blending notes of vanilla, amber, fruits and oriental floral. It is suggested for eveningwear.
    I received as a gift from my dad some years ago, it came with a deodorant, soap and a mini bottle for purse. I used it on special ocassions, when I used to date, and now that I am married I use it to seduce my husband. I have found it at Perfumania, also at Sports Arena Swap Meet in San Diego, California, also at the Alley in Los Angeles, California.

Le Roy Soleil by Salvador Dali

It is soft. It certaily smells excellent. I got it as a gift from my parents some years ago. I have just a few mililiters from this bottle. I told my dad and then he gave me another one as a gift this christmas 2006. He found it at "Price Center", its an enclosed swap meet at Calexico, California.

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

There is a certain sharp, crisp quality about this scent, flavours with a rather cooling than warm or sweet touch, but also with a slight antiseptic, almost medicine- like quality, but also woody and green. Like mixing the most cooling and the most potent herbs in someone's kitchen or laboratory and obtaining a both long lasting, spicy but also very cold, icy fresh smelling effect. Therefore, ozonic and almost watery( but rather water as ice, not as liquid too) making it both suitable for wearing it at the seaside, but even better somewhere in a mountain resort, as, in my opinion, it has all the smells and the poetic meanings of a winter's day- a pale, moderate warmth, rich wintery aromatic notes, even a certain grassy( but rather the dry and restitant grasses that last troughout the winter), humid moss partly or totally covered in snow and ice, conipherous, piney woods and resins.

Santos by Cartier

Alongside Declaration, this one is one of the best masculine scents by Cartier. It is named after Santos Dumont a dandy and aviator who lived at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century and truly smells like conservative elegance. Stylish chypre scent with citrus and green notes. Starts floral and herbal, especially with a touch of lavender including all the chracteristic sweetness and warmth of this note, then it tends to end in a very leathery way, but inspite of the drydown, the citrus( almost lemony, Mediterranean note) is still very powerful, but mixes perfectly with the more potent, woodyand chypre ingredients. Literaly an old-school and old-world scent, luxurious and discreet, designed as if someone had the refined and elaborate pleasures of the Parisian dandy or the high-end resorts of the French Riviera in mind. Being a fan of citrus and chypre scents- as it is easy to notice- i truly was impressed by this one.

30th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 April, 2008)

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Dark, overdone spicy and peppery, yet not truly aromatic. Just a combination of way too heavy, but also mismatched spices thrown around in a combination of almost choking, but paradoxically, at the same time, far too vapid notes. After a while tough, it becomes more tolerable, but adds nothing to the bulk of usual Oriental fragrances.

L'Eau de Gouverneur / L'Homme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I really like this one and find it very versatile. It is warm and spicy enough for cooler weather, but soft and fresh enough for warmer weather. It's also quite light, which makes it easy to wear in the daytime. All around, a nice scent that won't get too many negative reactions from others but is still distinct enough to keep you from melting into a sea of Allure Homme Sport.

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I remember reading once in a review of the original Versace Versus Uomo that it was a scent that smelled like a lumberjack. Well, if that is the case, then this one smells like the lumberjack bosses boss. The comparison might seem strange, but nevertheless this one reminds me of a less sweet, classier, less cloying Versus Uomo. Both have that dark, woodsy/piney, slightly sweet feel about them that is nevertheless extremely manly (in a bear-like sort of way). Definitely worth a try.

Sultan Safran / Safranier by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

As the name suggests, there's a discernible saffron note all the way through. If you like saffron, this one does it well (with a nice woodsy, citrus feel), but if you don't, then you probably want to avoid this one. Unfortunately, it appears that this one is discontinued, but if you can find a bottle, it is definitely worth the buy and a nice, soft, yet distinctive scent for daywear.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

L'Eau d'Hadrien is guilty by association, a tragic victim of the contextual nature of scent perception. That overpowering, bitter cedrat and lemon oil scent has become so typical of "natural oil"-embellished household cleaners, detergents, furniture polishes and what have you, that the first whiff alone is enough to remind me of duties around the house I am little enamored of. Just what I need in a luxury fragrance. If we should ever be able to afford a cleaning lady, she'll be getting this for Christmas.

Words's avatar

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

It's creamy, warm, and salty all at the same time. I think it works wonderfully on a man, as a couple of my lady friends agreed. It's very different and if you're looking to stand out from the crowd, look for Merveilles.

zenpiper's avatar

Royall Bay Rhum by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

A fine, sturdy and well-balanced fragrance. The Royall perfumers know how to make great stuff (except for the Mandarin which, to me, reeks). But the Bay Rhum, the Lyme and the Spice are unique and finely-crafted. You just can't miss.

zztopp's avatar

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

The Unicorn Spell was designed around the concept of “frostiness, violet, moonlight and transparency." To me it smells anything but transparent or frosty. Vegetal and very green, it should have been named The Unicorn Breath instead.

Violet flower forms the main heart of the fragrance. Its all about raw vegetal violets. The opening smells like salty cold cucumbers lying on a dinner plate in a hot and humid room. I dont know how this is supposed to convey frostiness and transparency. I doubt you will smell anything like this at the Himalayas or the North Pole. A floral (berry?) heart provides much needed sapidity to the droning violet accord, and the drydown introduces a pleasant but muted tea note. Longevity is 5-6 hours.

The Unicorn Spell fails to live up to its original flowery (no pun intended) description. Judged solely on its composition, I dont find it to be a particularly appealing violet fragrance either. If you are looking for a fragrance which highlights the vegetal dirtiness of violet, this might be worth investigating. I would recommend you try the classic Green Irish Tweed first, a fragrance which not only showcases the vegetal side of violet extremely well, but flanks it with notes of lemon verbana and sandalwood to form a very compelling potion. If you are on a budget, look no further than the excellent Grey Flannel - a superbly blended fragrance which is a must for violet lovers.