Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

zztopp's avatar

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

Let me Play The Lion (LPTL - theres no way I am going to type that entire name again in this review) smells a lot like L'Artisan Fou D'Absinthe (FDA). I am guessing that the middle and basenotes are similar, with cedar replacing the absinthe heavy top of Fou D'Absinthe in LPTL.

Cedar is the first observable note, and is immediately followed by a not-so-roaring spicy sweet accord of spices and anise. Pine/Fir provide a tranquil frosty base to the spicy composition. Its not too hot, and its not too cold. It almost smells like a Moroccan spice market in winter (add some flacon loads of candied honey and sugar, and it would qualify as a Serge Lutens fragrance)

I think I prefer LPTL to FDA - while equally watery, it lacks the blackcurrant note which nearly ruined FDA for me. Its not intriguing enough for me to wear on a regular basis, and the name is too wordy and stupid for me to say it out loud in case I am complimented on it - for that reason alone, I might opt for FDA most of the times. Let This Be a Lesson for LesNez to Choose Less Doltish Names for its Fragrances (LTBLLCLDNF).

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Yuck! An old lady's heavily scented lotion or an old, cracked, pink guest soap. I just hate florals. This sure ain't worthy of Anaïs Nin, but it's very worthy of the yucky pastel coloured 80ies bottle design.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

LouLou by Cacharel

It starts out sweet and floral but then something happens. I get a distinct cumin note, almost naughty. Where did it come from? Is it the sandalwood and incense? It's spicy-sharp, almost soapy, but warm. I like it well enough but I don't think I would wear it. Very vintage.

tvlampboy's avatar

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

Rich, warm, gentlemanly. Still can't believe that Desprez would ever have yanked this lovely stuff off the shelves. Let us all pray litanies loud and long to the Great Perfume God/Goddess that he/she persuade the folks at Desprez to bring this gem back into production!

tvlampboy's avatar

Woods of Windsor for Men / Gentleman by Woods of Windsor

A tad stuffy and British for some, but very nice woody fragrance all around, IMHO. Can be had reasonably, too. Good silllage and longevity on this one, btw.

makor's avatar

Guess Man by Guess

Smells a bit like A*Men to me, only I can enjoy wearing this one. Pretty good longevity, 5+ hours for me.

La Senora's avatar

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

Can't believe I still have this. It's better with time. When first experienced this it was too sweet, even the dry down, Christmas-y and almost too young for me - in my Chanel No.5 and pearls period. with time it's aged (?) so that the spice I was afraid of, makes more sense now. first moments it's definately clovebud, cederwood and cinnamon but the drydown is warm,honey and earthy. it went from being "too much" to being autumnal and warm but also risky. with notes not usually attributable to women's scents. I love it now, wearing it with pearls & gold, sweaters and wool. Although,less is more here.

La Senora's avatar

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

i love it! Have fragrances that approach this drama but this does it for cozy evenings out. I do not wear it at the office. It is so provacative that my husband askes me to wear it when we have dinner in. Alone. defiantely grown up. I never thought I'd wear patchouli in any formula. yet here it is amidst ceder, vetiver, amber, musk. I find the iris and rose is lost on me upon drydown but that suits me just fine.

DalyRa's avatar

Magie Noire by Lancôme

Yet another parfum I wanted to love--I first took notice of the gorgeous parfum bottle, then loved the name, and truly still love the notes in this. Just not in this fragrance, though.

I do agree that this could easily be classified as a unisex fragrance--but then, for me: any fragrance that's "made for a man," I'll wear it if I like it's notes and how it "takes" with my chemistry. It's the fragrance, after all, that people notice--not what the bottle looks like.

I hope to find these same notes in a fragrance I can love! In the EdP: for me, this lacked complexity--it seemed linear from start to finish. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but I have to absolutely adore a fragrance if it's linear until drydown. Funny thing, though--in the EdP the longetivity on my skin was only about 4-5 hours, but then--not so bad since this frag didn't have the much desired effect I sought.

Tvlampboy gives a review of this as EXACTLY what I was hoping to find. Dark, mysterious, a bit dangerous--but not overpowering. Alas, my quest continues for just that fragrance.

Meanwhile: the bottle remains on my dressing table looking "dangerous," but the dust atop it remains far more so.

Nicolas V's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Smells just like Cool Water. Sure it came out first and lasts longer, but nobody will be able to tell the difference. Does it smell great? Of course. But if you want to fork over 100 dollars just to smell like a fragrance that sells for only 40, that is your choice.

If you really want to wear Creed, go for another fragrance, like Bois du Portugal. You will smell like a million bucks and like no one else.

ghotio's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

I love this scent. Smells like Danielle by Danielle Steel but better. Very sweet, strawberry, flowery and it manages to smell expensive and classy so it's suitable for the young and old alike. My friend who also wears smells a bit sour sometimes.

ghotio's avatar

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

I like the sparkling grapefruit scent on this one but it can be a bit pungent/overwhelming. The musky drydown is also very nice. The silliage is very strong on me. I don't use it very much now. My brother on the other hand says it smells like medicine.

luckylouie's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

When I was younger this was one of my all time favourites, but I have become much more floral with age. However I still have a bottle and these days I tend to layer it with a touch of jasmine.

I find the deep woods and fresh, sweaty musk notes compliment the indole compounds in jasmine absolute and leave me with a fragrance that is perfect for a night of slow dancing with my love.

On my skin this fragrance is never overpowering, and if worn without the extra jasmine, it is perfectly acceptable for daytime wear.

For those people who like a dry chypre perfume, but find AE a little too strong, have a spray of Tweed. There are considerable similarities between them, and I sometimes layer Tweed with musk oil to give it extra staying power.

luckylouie's avatar

Splendor by Elizabeth Arden

Clean, soapy and unutterably bland. An extremely dull white floral that is more boring than the cheapest of pharmacy perfumes. Luckily it wears off quickly.

Cat Whitehouse's avatar

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I strongly dislike Paris - it's just too floral and old-fashioned to my nose, smells like expensive soap you get in a hotel or something. It IS very feminine, and quite romantic I think, I can (kind of) understand the appeal for others - but it's def not for me!

baubo's avatar

Ginger by Gorilla Perfume

No, not ginger oil - I've tried that!
    The ginger note is warmer, more balanced with the juniper berry and rose.

zoop's avatar

Finland Finland

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

A peculiar one, and the first niche fragrance I ever tried. First impression out of the tester: how can a perfume smell so *dry*? Smelling it was not completely unlike inhaling dust or sand. Desert indeed! And yet, at the same time, there was this smooth, warm, sweet presence. Honey? Incense? Sweetness was what it eventually dried down to as well. A comfortable experience so far, but nothing overwhelming. Time will tell.

Gilturko's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought M7 years ago, when it was launched. At first sniff I was amazed, I was looking for amber notes and unusual male perfume. It worked wenough well, even if it wasn't the perfect fragrance. But something changed after sometimes, perhaps my skin, perhaps my nose or the perfume itself... M7 on my skin turned into a disgusting medical smell :( I have a semi filled bottle on my shelf and I use it to give a good fragrance to the air around me. It works better than on my skin!

Words's avatar

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Simple, fresh, and bright. Smells like Orange Juice from beginning to end, not much change. Lasts a good while for a citrus scent. I've been looking for a frag that closely resembles the smell of oranges and I finally found it. Thank you, Moschino Friends!

30th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 12th February, 2013)

Anthodesmi's avatar

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

I discern a bit of confusion in these reviews - a light floral this perfume ain't! Perhaps people are thinking of eau de parfum II which is much lighter.
    Gucci Eau de Parfum (I), the amber-coloured one, is a spicy oriental with top notes of orange blossom and cumin,
    middles notes of iris, and base notes of cedar, vanilla and musk. It's dark and refined rather than vanilla-sweet, with a beautiful mix of spice. A lovely evening scent, and quite unisex in my view.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Basically, a scent which is ,made to puzzle, fascinate and intrigue. First, it begins like some synthetic( pinkie, oversexed, but at the same time androgynous, fairy, almost queer style) creation, just with a burst of sporty and fruity( and I mean by that a real big "queer as a bedbug"- style
    "fruit"), but just as the expectations of any "true" perfume lover reach the utmost low point, surprise strikes again. Because the drydown is ( maybe only as strictly subjective experience) sooo different from the first impression, taking its wearer trough the high and lows, " do's" and
    " don't-s", authetic high class and purest camp, style and kitsch of fragrance. A truly mulilayered and psychedelic trip trough paradise and inferno of the perfume world, both " retro" and deeply retrosexual, but also soo metrosexual and essentially 2003...It ends in a feeling which, far from evading the metrosexual, almost synthetic dominant note, childishly( or yothfully) evades into something far more... puristic and conservative. Truly, the drydown is remiding somewhere in between the ( unusually) cool, icy, almost intellectual of tobacco and leather found in Very Valentino and the compelling, both magnetic and elusivally untochable powdery, almost feminine drydown of Roma Uomo or Endymion( and the list might go on...). Strange, but bedazling combination and/ or unity of two gloriously mismatched,
    inadvertend, interptretation
    extremes. I wish-therefore only neutral rating- the perfume maker, maybe Tom Ford...- would have made up his mind, or maybe, to be more precise, this is where this scent's charm lies: controversial, overtly postmodern and idiosyncratic, daring yet partly usual and clean, unsurprising. The perfect recipe towards an almost- masterpiece...

rach2jlc's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

An interesting scent, but a little too sweet for me. I was surprised to see it came out in 2005, as it feels like one of the classy, sweet, barber shop lavender scents of the 1930's, not unlike Caron pour un homme (not that they smell alike or that this one even has lavender in it, but it gives me a similar "mood.") Amongst contemporary fragrances, I'd put it in the same family as Prada Amber Pour homme, but sweeter and a little less refined. A definite alternative to the everyday, "clean" and fresh detergent fragrances. It is often obtainable at deep discount, so I'd saw it is worth a try if you want something new but want to stand out from the crowd.

zztopp's avatar

L'Antimatière by LesNez

Thou shall not cheat the customer with a misleading headnote, say LesNez. How about "Thou shall not cheat the customer selling a perfume concoction which skimps on notes and passing it off as an example of sophisticated niche minimalism", eh LesNez ?

The LesNez perfumer has been working on L'Anitimatiere (The Anti-matter) for 10 years....TEN years !! And this is the end result ? A faint alcohol opening, followed by a mineral water smell (i.e., nothing), before settling 20 minutes later into a trifling musk base which is barely perceptible 2 hours later.

I like the concept of anti-matter: from Wikipedia "Antimatter is not found naturally on Earth, except very briefly and in vanishingly small quantities (as the result of radioactive decay or cosmic rays). This is because antimatter which comes to exist on Earth outside the confines of a suitably equipped physics laboratory would inevitably come into contact with the ordinary matter that Earth is made of, and be annihilated." However, uninteresting minimalism demonstrations like L'Antimatiere deployed using basic notes like alcohol and musk are *not* interesting. Skip this alcohol + water + musk travesty and try Gendarme: minimalism done with panache, quality, and longevity. Heres a physics lesson for LesNez - after this one bombs, their lofty hot air ambitions will come down to earth.

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

25 years ago, if I encountered someone wearing Youth Dew I would have to leave the room IMMEDIATELY, else vomit within a few minutes. I am not making a joke, I actually vomited TWICE from someone wearing this fragrance. Later on, I found I could actually wear it, but VERY, VERY sparingly....just the TEENIEST drop, wrists ONLY. I don't love it and I don't wear it, but at least it doesn't make me vomit any longer!

Pleasures Intense by Estée Lauder

I like this fragrance MUCH better than the regular Pleasures, which I used to think was the best of any of their fragrance line. Estee Lauder fragrances smell cheap and tend to be ...well, cloying, for the most part. This one actually smells like a fragrance of a fine perfume house so I give it a thumbs up for Estee Lauder. Finally! It states it is "Intense" but it is probably the very least intense of all their fragrances and actually dries down nicely.(Estee fragrances usually NEVER dry down which gives me a headache.) Still, I recommend ....use it sparingly.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This reminds me of a subtle version the "Angel" type scents and all its copies. Dries to smell like real baby powder, so it gets an A+++ from me!

Lemon Sugar by Fresh

Probably the better of all the "Fresh" fragrances...there is an underlying similarity with EVERY Fresh fragrance that is less annoying with Lemon Sugar than the rest of them...not worth the $75 in my book

Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estée Lauder

I like this MUCH better than the regular Youth Dew (I am a huge fan of amber), but I have to tell you a LIFETIME supply would be about 5 ml. I love Amber, but it is SO STRONG that you have to be extremely careful how you use it. This is not a fragrance for the timid and should only be worn at night in winter and on the wrists only.

Stella In Two - Amber by Stella McCartney

They say "wear this by itself or with Peony" but by itself, it smells REALLY bad. With Peony, it is probably the best of all the Stella fragrances because you control the mix. Thumbs up ONLY with Peony. By itself....ick.

Stella In Two - Peony by Stella McCartney

Unlike its Amber counterpart, you CAN wear this alone, albeit it is a little flowery for my tastes. Add the Amber and it's very nice and warm.