Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ridiculosly expensive yet justfified up to the last cent. Timeless chypre classic, maybe a little heavy but certainly a symbol of sophistication and exclusive lifestyle.

MadScientist's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Rose, citrus, sandalwood, fire & brimstone...magnificent. It fits Ozzy Osbourne perfectly. This is what I would imagine he'd smell like. Me? I can't possibly wear this stuff. I don't have the attitude, presence, or (clothing) wardrobe to do it justice. It's just too wicked.

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Insolence is so very much Guerlain!!! It speaks with the same voice as the old Guerlain-classics, but sings in a new, joyfull and happy tone. Insolence is best compared to L´Heure Bleu from 1919, IMO. On my skin, these two fragances are very much alike. Insolence is also as longlasting as L´Heure Bleu.

My compliments to Guerlain, for making a modern fragance in the same concept as their oldest classics! I would give Insolence two thumbs up, if it was possible!

ordai's avatar

Finland Finland

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I have always taught that Kenzo scents are waterlike, light, florals.
    I got one small testtube of this one, and get suprissed. Its sweet, some vanilj, mysk and flowers. But this is´nt pure flowerscent.
    Remainds me of Paul Smith, London.
    I ad it to my wishlist right a way.

rach2jlc's avatar

Byblos Uomo (original) by Byblos

I'm with chris-p on this one. It's not a terrible scent, but smells very synthetic and all blends together to smell like metallic floor cleaner. Not sad that it is discontinued; there are any number of "designer" scents out there that give a spicy, fresh, citrus scent better and don't have the odd note attached.

rach2jlc's avatar

Mare by Beth Terry Creative Universe

If I'm ever in a position to rub elbows in June with people who live on the Hamptons, this is what I imagine they'll smell like. MARE is fresh, clean, classy, and full of sea salt. And, like the Hamptons, relaxed yet reeking of money. Unfortunately, I'm a teacher in the Midwest, so it is actually a fairly hard scent for me to pull off wearing well. At the right occasion, it would be great, but as it is, it is just a little TOO much like the beach.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Brit for Men by Burberry

Well, I don't think It's an unique fragrance: seemed too close to Gucci Envy. But Envy presents a balanced combination of sweetness with a pleasant green smell and just a bit of powder while Brit is more thick and too powdery and its sweetness is feminine and nauseating as if the perfumer had exceeded the right quantity of each note... It's luxurious but too strong for me. My girlfriend loved it though.

zztopp's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Top note: Orange, Lemon, Mandarin, Orange Blossom
    Middle note: Mint, Papaya, Mango
    Base notes: Patchouli, Oakmoss

Eau D'Orange Verte (EDC) is a classic citrus scent which exhibits characteristics typical of such scents: its fresh, its tangy, its fun, and it suffers from poor longevity. It has also been offered as part of a gift package in various airlines to cure passengers of air sickness and smelly co-passengers.

The lemon and orange top provides an inviting opening - its a bitter citrus blast but is not bitter citrus. Rather its a top quality citrus note punctuated with lemon edges to give an aromatic and bitter but still refreshing aroma. From there the scent unravels into a "smelling the fruit and the whole tree with twigs and all" phase.. the mango and papaya salsa comes forth with a light fruity vegetal freshness to temper the bitter citrus opening but in the background the march of mossy undertones can be heard. And it stays that way .. quite distant. The alluring moss and patchouli combo never increases in intensity; instead, Orange Verte silently peters away to a very light mossy drydown which wont be perceptible unless you splash 1/4 of the bottle on your head. Which you should anyways, considering how refreshing and wonderful it feels. That said, it does share some characteristics with Chanels pour monsieur, which is more dense, spicy and mossy. Eitherways, splash on a bottle and jump out into the 98 degree heat...let your body heat conjure the wonderful aromatic-mossy aroma of Orange Verte.

Rating: 8.0/10

03 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Gourmandises by Keiko Mecheri

Roses and sweets. Not "juicy" and shocking pink like celebrity perfumes, a bit more subtle and powdery, more like baby pink, but still far too sweet and soft and girly for me. I even get a hint of salty play-doh. It doesn't smell bad but doesn't smell its price.

tvlampboy's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

Marvelous fig scent -- can't really believe that I like this one so much! (Aside from Philosykos, I normally hate fig notes, esp. as embodied in Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme.)

There's a citrus note here that's incredibly balancing to the sweetness of the fig, and a crispness that's usually overpowered by a cloying quality. Very nice stuff, indeed, and well worth every penny.

colormechris's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Perhaps the most wonderful thing about fragrance is that it both creates and recalls memories. Unfortunately, some memories can be unpleasant.
    I cannot be objective about Angel because I cannot smell it or even think about it without remembering the first time I (for lack of a better word) experienced it.
    I was working at an editing house in Hollywood that specialized in "adult entertainment". One of the clients was a thoroughly loathsome person. The type who smoked cigars not because he enjoyed them, but because he thought he looked "cool" smoking them. The first time I met him, he arrived in a cloud of the strongest cologne I had ever smelled. You couldn't not comment on his "scent". "Don't you just love it!" he would say. "It's called Angel Men by this fabulous designer named Thierry Mugler!" A name dropper through and through. Then he would billow out some foul cigar smoke and the three (him, his Angel Men, and his cigar smoke) would compete for what little oxygen was left in the cramped office.
    You could always tell when he was coming as his Angel cloud would arrive ten minutes before he did, and we were on the twelfth floor!
    Several years passed and I attempted to reassess Angel Men for myself, but I couldn't divorce this person from the scent. Was it because of him I thought the scent was obnoxious, over the top, cloying, insincere, and trying way too hard to be amazing? Or was it just these things on it's own?
    From other peoples comments I've read here, I have to conclude that it is indeed those things on it's own. Minus the cigar smoke top-note.
    But, I will give credit where credit is due. Angel Men is an amazing creation. Absolutely an animal unto itself, albeit one that should be caged. A first of its kind that has created a whole new category of scents. Perhaps, an important fragrance in the history of fragrance. There are certain things about it that I admire, but as the old Paco ad says..."What is remembered is up to you."

colormechris's avatar

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Paco Rabanne's best men's fragrance since his original 1973 masterpiece. Truly unique and unto itself, this one almost defies description. It must be experienced on the skin. Highly unusual, perhaps a bit too heavy, none the less an amazing and (I think) highly underrated creation.
    I can only put it in the category of "weird"; but good weird. Not bad weird, like Angel for men. Why is Angel so wildly popular and this one not? I think Ultraviolet is what Angel ought to be...of course, that doesn't make any sense, but neither does this type of fragrance. I love it, but I don't own it. Why? Because I wouldn't even begin to know when it was appropriate to wear it. Maybe just every now and then out of the bottle or to bed.

ifconfig's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chergui. What a name! What a fragrance! I searched high and low as, for some reason, it is now scarce, but the effort was worth it.

Chergui starts out beatific, and ends, hours later, even more so. There is simply no part of the Chergui perfume experience that I can disparage. It is perfection, the paragon of Orientals. It's sunshine on a warm Summer day, bottled. It is a smile on a beautiful girl's face.

Chegui is beyond good, it is scintillating.

xplode's avatar

Denmark Denmark

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

That harsh lemon stench disgusts me.
    I really havent smelt it after the drydown, mostly because i wouldnt be capable of standing the lemon stench until it had dried down.
    Dont buy this fragrance!

linnea's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I LOVE THIS SCENT! This is one of my favorite scents. My twin sister introduced me to it, and I love it because it reminds me of her. It's so rich, complex, and intriguing. I always keep at least two bottles because I never want to run out.

linnea's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I love this fragrance. It is so gorgeous and intriguing. The notes of honey and solar musk are to die for.

Ojay's avatar

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I hate to put this frag down but I found this smells JUST LIKE the photocopier toner in Xerox machines at my school in the 70's and 80's.
    The initial alcohol blast never seems to leave. Sorry but not for me.

unregistered's avatar

Rochas Femme (original) by Rochas

As the parfum is vintage, it is difficult to find a bottle that has not gone off, at least in the top notes. Bergamot and lemon do not tend to sparkle much after 30 or more years on the shelf, and the floral heart seems to have become bitter and odd, too. First applied, there is the realization of "Wow, this is some old juice"; however, once it dries, the base notes of my old parfum bottle have melded into a warm, leathery, spicy/musky prune scent. The clove, orris, and oakmoss are particularly evident, making for a dry, powdery, but not-too-sweet finish on the skin. In its day, it must've been a stunner, but until someone steals the recipe and creates the original anew, classic Femme is shadow of what it must have been when fresh.

Papyrus's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Truth Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein

Truth Sensual Bedtime Fragrance is my current favourite perfume. When I smell it from the bottle it doesn't smell good at all: it seems to me like a combiation of glue and something else that I can't define, but it's nauseating. But after a few hours on my skin it transforms into a gentle and sensual woody scent that blends with the skin perfectly. It's discreet and lovely.

Laz's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This fragrance smells heavenly on Persian and Armenian women. Must be body chemistry.

cK be by Calvin Klein

I love this and CK1. They are the best CK fragrances by far. CK Be has such a nice clean smell to it, it is almost addictive. I think it's time for a new bottle soon.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Well I just love this fragrance, it is my favourite by far. Be gentle though, it might become a little over powering. I'm on my second bottle and if used sparingly will last forever.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

I used to like this, but lately I find it a little sweet and fluffy. My bottle is almost empty so is a good time to move on.

XS Extrême pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I liked this fragrance (I can't find it anywhere in South Africa anymore) It is basically just an updated version of the original XS, but I liked it as much as the original.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

It was a strange smell to get used to. I loved the old XS and XS Extreme, so bought this when it came out, but did not like it much at first. Now it is fine, but still a little overpowering and too sweet. It settles nicely and dries to a powdery smell which is not unpleasant at all.

Test this before you buy it though.

Marbert Homme by Marbert

Picked this up at a ridiculously low cost and was pleased... Aromatic and powerful, but less of an old men's scent than Marbert Man, this one being darker, leaning towards a more Oriental and Gothic side, with several notes so strong and oily almost on the verge of being unbearable. However, applied sparingly ( cause even two drops of it can almost outlast a day and be felt from a long distance), the smell surprises with musky sweetness and rich, deep woody notes. Long and almost difficult dry-down, but bearing unexpected delights after a firstly almost painful encounter with harsh, heavy and stuffy notes.

03 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2011)

Halston Z-14 by Halston

A both yummy and distinguished scent combining youthful ease and energy with mature, clean-cut, high-end, conservative cult for sophistication and refined, understated but also slightly dandystic elegance. A true aromatic rush of herbal anjd spicy notes and a very puristic, flawless chypre ending. Complex, a collection of very different and very well assorted notes, precious, lavish and classy without seeming artificial. Rich, charismatic and masculine in a tasteful way, cypress notes with outlandish Oriental and exotic hints. Good lasting power as well; while the bottle reminds a bit of Dali's daring creations that shrouded his exquisite fragrances, yet slightly more puristic and functional, energetically and elegantly masculine, capable to adorn both a very conservative marble bath or a boudoir filled with antique furniture, but also a very minimalistic, excessively technical and functional contemporary form of housing and inner architecture.

03 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2011)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Ladies, I do understand how many women can feel wrapped in a soothing blanket of comfort with this one on a cold, rainy day. Especially if they've od'd on cutesy " upbeat " florals.

But can a man wear this?
    Short answer: Thumbs down!

Long answer: Well, yes. Provided:

1. He doesn't mind making the cats sneeze.

2. He's never been pepper-sprayed by a cop. Otherwise it'll conjure unpleasant memories.

3. Never been trapped at church during High Mass by a berserk deacon with an incense fetish, nor ever worked for CdG.

4. Loves sprinkling cinnammon on top of yellow rice. Loves cooking with saffron.

Pass.

04 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Good summer frag. Reminded me of about half of the Geo F Trumpers, Florises, (Flori? )Penhaligons and other good Brit scents that I like but don't really love. Not terribly exciting.
    Yes, it is refined, mature and you'll smell as if you've got dough.

There are better offerings along the same lines, imho. Some from the same houses. Overall, at the pain of repetition, a good summer frag.
    Good light sparkling citrus with fair longevity. Like Gendfarme, it won't offend.

04 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Tribù by Benetton

Nice scent—peach, raspberry, rose, jasmine, violet, sandalwood. It’s not intriguing but it is quite interesting. With as many notes as it has, the accord does not get muddied: The notes are surprisingly individually identifiable and they also appear to form shifting accords. I don’t know whether to call Tribù strong or weak—it has definite body to it, but it doesn’t seem to project very much. It is non-offensive. As to whether it is feminine or not, it’s hard to tell. It doesn’t strike me as exactly feminine, but I don’t find it very masculine, either; regardless, it is an interesting scent.

04 December, 2006