Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

rach2jlc's avatar

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

It's hard to add upon what foetidus and toadkings have said, but I only add and say that this one just doesn't work on me. As a fragrance, I would put it in the same realm as Rykiel Homme, Gaultier le male, or Philosophy Amen, but this one has an odd note (something particularly synthetic) that makes the sweetness have a slight bitterness over time that isn't very pleasant. I think I see what Moschino was trying to do with this one, but also think that it is done better elsewhere (I like any of those mentioned above much better).

rach2jlc's avatar

Amen by Philosophy

This is certainly not the manliest scent I know, but it definitely isn't quite what I'd call "teenage girl" (as the review below). It is definitely unisex, but also light, fresh, sweet, a little fruity, and in the same family as scents like Moschino Uomo, Rykiel Homme, and even Gaultier le Male. It's fairly reasonably priced, which is good, but unfortunately doesn't last too long on the skin. Nevertheless, a good scent that gives a light atmosphere without being as ubiquitous as AdG or Miyake.

Tajsmellsgood's avatar

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

I sprayed on Axe Kilo, nothing special for the days work ahead. I jumped into my co-workers truck, heading to our work site for the day. I kept getting a sniff of a wonderful scent. The Axe I had on was a nice smell, but I knew it couldnt be me. Finally, I asked my co-worker if he had on cologne. He said, "Cuba". O.K., I had the name. I had seen the cigar shaped fragrance before and passed it off as cheap without testing it. Coming to this site, I discovered there are a number of Cuba fragrances in a variety of colors. My co-worker only said, "Cuba", so initially I wasnt sure which one it was. Viewing the posts, I came to the conclusion this was the one since LeMale did come to mind. Good to know I have a decent scent of smell. This stuff smells damn good. The cheapest ever for a great scent.

Lemon Sugar by Fresh

Synthetic notes of lemon combined with a strong 'alcohol' base, this blend is not even worthy of being called a fragrance. Yuk!

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - does tea notes like Bulgari!!! I'm always pleased, if not completely satisfied, with the high quality & smoothly orchestrated elixirs created by this fragrance house. Au the Rouge is satisfying and very unique as well. Tangy overtones perfectly balance the sweet fig and dry tea notes here...and yes, there is a nutty finish as well! I'd say this blend is very wearable by men or women. I'm lovin' this one!

04th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

Affection by Mary Kay

After a thorough test run of Affection, it still comes off as an Angel rip-off...after only about 45 minutes on the skin, it fades into your basic barely there powdery base I've experienced in dozens of cheap perfumes. I must still turn my thumb downward on this one.

04th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2009)

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Oliban by Keiko Mecheri

I can't really pick out any notes in Oliban, except maybe the tobacco. It's just a warm and sweet and rich presence Perhaps a tad "perfumey" - as in a well-blended, classical scent with notes like rose and tobacco, rather than a modern, original scent with a jumble of notes. The reason I don't give it thumbs up is that I'm honestly not wild about it, I merely enjoy it, and there are many scents with a similar comforting aura.

colormechris's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I've always loved the original Opium,and even though it's for women, I've always thought there was something very sexually "male" about it. But I was too chicken-s*** to wear it. When it was announced that Yves was bringing out "Opium for Men" I was truly excited.
    At last I could get my Opium mojo on and not feel like a girly-man. I even bought it blind from one of those department store bill envelope offers (without the benefit of a test strip). That's how much I wanted it. I just knew it was going to be a MANLY version of the original. And I just knew it was going to be great!
    As I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new purchase through the mail, I was driving along in my car one day when a bus pulled up next to me. I turned and who was pouting out at me from the ad on the side of the bus but a naked and coy Rupert Everett. Eccch!
    And OHMIGOD he's pushing opium--I mean Opium for Men. Now I was worried. This was not a good omen. I mean, who could be more insincere and full of themselves than him. Who could be more of a girlyman? This did not bode well for the cologne.
    My Opium for Men finally arrived and now, with some reservation, I opened the box. I smelled the juice. "Gee," I thought, "This doesn't smell anything like the original." It wasn't bad though. I decided to give it a go. And at first I really liked it. But as the minutes progressed into hours and the hours turned into an evening, I began to hate it. I mean, I could tell what they were going for but...Gadzooks it was sweet! And nothing to temper that sweetness. I used to work next to a candy factory and you could tell what they were making on certain days because the smell would envelope the neighborhood like an atomic cloud. Opium for Men smelled like the candy factory was making Toffifay or one of those other candies that old people love (even though they usually pour them into a candy dish and then never touch them for a couple of years until they have to chisel the candy out and throw it away...but I digress).
    Suffice to say, my Dad, who was 3000 miles away at the time, got an entire 3.3 ounce bottle of cologne for his birthday. And I bought a mini of Opium for Women and started wearing it around the house. Maybe someday this girlyman will grow a pair and take it outside.

SniffQ's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

First sniff out of the bottle is dry, but not brittle. Spice--is that a hint of mastic?--coriander,something stoney, but just blowing by on a dry, rich breeze. Dry and woody at mid-note, with incense. I long for complex, rich orientals and can't wear them. I smell like an old harlot. This, however, is complex enough to suit me and interesting enough to draw my attention. Probably a man's scent, but I'm frequently comfortable there.

Porcepic's avatar

It for Men by Peter Thomas Roth

Nothing special, but certainly not offensive. Lots of citrus plus some woodsy spice. It smells a great deal like everything else out there. Poor longevity and sillage. I wear it to bed or after a shower when I do not plan on leaving the house.

ifconfig's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

This is really good! I'd expected a fragrance produced for the 1960s market to be a bit passe, but BaV is anything but. It is a bit heavy on some oft-used notes but that is most definitely not a detriment. I can see why BaV was a success; a classic, for sure.

TDDanae's avatar

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I was so impressed with this that I went home and got rid of some of my other perfumes. I love this so much that it is now a toss up with Le Baiser Du Dragon as being my favorite, but the two fragrances are nothing alike. It would certainly not be for everyone, for it is very, very, sweet. It is a mix of several Hawaiian fruits with a vanilla that I have only smelled by CSP. If Heaven came in a bottle this would be it. Since Le Baiser, I have not fallen so much in love with any fragrance.

TDDanae's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

Maybe I should try this again from the looks of the reviews, but I really was not impressed. I guess I expected more from a Guerlain. It was not a bad smell at all, I just found it to be so, so, nothing special. It just seemed so mainstream,the usual.

Metropolitan's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Metropolis by Estée Lauder

I agree with Sofia Esteves. Metropolis is the best men's fragrance of all time. I started using it on 1988 and people used to know I was around after five minutes. A friend once told me it was unforgetable, unique and distinct. If I only have the knowledge to decant fragrances...

mochi227's avatar

Vanilla Vanille by Body Shop

This is way too fume-y and heady for me. It is overwhelmingly sweet and somewhat cloying. It must be applied at least a half-hour before coming into contact with another human being. This doesn't have the warmth that I associate with vanilla; this is more like a vanilla scream.

Society by Society Parfums

I agree! Loved it and it's ashame they've discontinued this fragrance!

Chance by Chanel

To me, this is a great fragrance! It reminds of Versace's Versus for women because it is fresh but at the same time oriental and warm. It's like you've been using two different scents at the same time. I really don't think you can put an age on fragrance users, it depends on how your personality is. I always liked heavier scents, for example: my first perfume at the age of 15 was Samsara, a couple of years later n°5 and now I'm 29 and I love Amber Nude... .
    About Chance, this is a great fragrance for every day wear or at the office because it's not overwhelming at all and still lasts allday.

Chipie by Chipie

I used to have this some years ago, still have some bottles though. I really loved this one, since it was a very flowery-fresh perfume. It wasn't from a big perfume or fashion house, here in Belgium and France it was sold in retail stores. I don't think they still make it, haven't seen any lately. Still hope to find a smell-alike sometimes... . I'll send an image later.

04th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 15th April, 2008)

Sunny Frutti by Escada

I used this several years ago, my husband adored it. To me it rather smelled like an air fresher they use in toilets... . Way to fresh and fruity for my taste.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

Love this one, it reminds me of Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker. The EDP is more fruitier then the EDT, love the EDP version more because the fresher notes seem to stay longer.
    It may occur strange but I often use this one in combination with Cristalle... everyone wants to know what I'm wearing because it's gorgeous!!

Armani Mania for Women by Giorgio Armani

I like it, although it doesn't seem to last on my skin. I had to search for the smell on the place where I've sprayed it. Too bad, I like the head notes and on a friend of mine it smells great! A little too floral for my taste though.

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

From the first scent on I recognize Alchimie from Rochas, which is from the year 1999. Is very similar to this, but I guess they didn't threw as much money on advertising this perfume, so it never got as famous... . You should give it a try (if you still can find Alchimie) you will agree!
    I like Cinéma though, I use it often. Especially for winter time. The eau de toilette version is available in Europe since a couple of weeks.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Love this one and wish to obtain it very soon! Wanted to say that it's similar to Narcisso Rodriguez but I've seen that Ayala allready remarked this. Lovely though!

Mélodie by Fragonard

This is a copy of Beautiful by Estee Lauder, went to the Fragonard factory in Paris en they make their perfume similar as famous brands of commercial perfumes. Loved the original Beautiful more though.

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

A refreshing orange accord for the opening coupled with various orange notes that continue all the way to the end — Little Italy smells remarkably like actual oranges and mandarins: It has wonderfully captured of the essence of orange. As with all of the Bond #9 fragrances, it’s well made of top quality ingredients, and it doesn’t even seem be a rip-off of any other fragrance that I know of. Little Italy is quite linear, and in this case, I think that is a negative: It gets a bit boring. It is a very well done fragrance, and, for anyone looking for a straight up orange fragrance, this should definitely be checked out.

04th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 05th December, 2010)

annachristine's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

I don't like powder, white flowers, or fruity sweetness. I LOVE Bulgari's tea notes, and White Tea is my favorite scent, period. It starts fresh and peppery, but stays warm and sensual the whole way through. Intimate and lovely.

annachristine's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

I was badly surprised by how sharp the initial notes are - acrid and one-dimensional. After those burn off, though, this settles into a beautiful mild fruity rooibos tea note, not too sweet, with a very nice light musk. When I wear it I apply it early, before I leave the house, since those first notes are so very sharp on me. The longevity isn't terrible but it stays very close to the body.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Eau du Coq by Guerlain

Another beautiful and superb Eau from guerlain. It has survived over a hundred years because of its simple, elegant excellent quality. It has the classic combination of bright, light, dry, crisp top/middle notes of lemon, bergamot, a little lavender and rosemary over a gentle and very subtle tonka.

Uplifting, airy and always appropriate.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Endymion by Penhaligon's

While being first appalled during the first try, perceiving it as far too sweet and powdery, up to the point of being repulsive and sickening, the more it interacted with my skin, the more i loved it. Yes, it is sweet, beyond any doubt, but it exhales that refined, moderate, extremely lightful, sparking, blissfull, cutting-edge sweetness, like few other male scents- among whom Roma Uomo, Uomo by Moschino, Escada, Ungaro III, JPG Le Male or Dali's Roy Soleil- were capable to capture. Needless to say, it's beyond any doubt a few degrees more exquisite and high-class than most or all of these scents. <br>Iconic for the notion of winter and/or evening scent- its complex aromatic drydown reminding of the olfactory joys various winter spices can bring. The name stands for British high-end sophistication, reminescent of Keats's literary work about a strangely, innaccessibly beautiful youth. While Blenheim Bouquet stands for the robust, middle-aged, socially, intellectually, personally fulfilled, almost age-and timeless dandy which already has achieved an unquestionable perfection, Endymion is the far younger, more androgynous, effeminate, ever changing and unpredictable dandy. It really smells effeminate like a glam rock superstar, but so stylish and little common, that, while it sparingly reminds of goth or metrosexual elemets, it's so many steps and classes beyond these to youth cultures, that it renders them primitive like parasites compared to an exotic, nearly extinct noble species, or a simple, average Joe-human compared to the Superhuman. It embodies both the British cult for effeminate manhood, dating back to the Elizabethan age, reaching it's peak during romanticism, decadentism and sybolism, and still being carried on by mods, glam-rockers or even today, but also in the showy yet exquisite display of rich and above all costly essences, seasoning, fragrant and edible ingredients dating back to the age when Britain was the flagship of colonial power, importing only the best of the best of the world's riches in order to suit the tastes of a continously eccentric and pleasure-seeking upper class. So, daring in its off-beat, revolutionary ( or rather evolutionare towards the supreme flagship and superhuman of the fragrance world) avant-garde but, for at least two reasons, deeply rooted in British tradition. Tradition and modernity at their best, perfectly combined: tradition opened to modern elements, modernity dwelling on the most worthy traditional values. <br>Endymion is a combination of all contrasts: carnal and provocative like a permanently aroused pubescent, yet more distant than an unnatainable star or diva, elusive and restrained not due to shyness but to a cunning and manipulative way, delicate but domieering and undoutedly superior and impossible to grasp or predict, yet never bossy or arrogant, it exhales the cold, dim yet hauting light of diamonds, demons, stars and the wintertime sun- it sparkles in a cold, distant, yet truogh it's mystery, also challenging, provocative way( the unique, cool but glittering spark of genius and immortality). A youth more mysterious than a Romantic poet, more cruel than Cesare Borgia, more outlandish than Ziggy Stardust, more seductive than Valmont or Sade, more ambitious than Julien Sorel and, above all this, more abstract and idealized than the most non-figurative religion, work of art or philosophical concept. After disscussing the - apperantly redundant, but extremely versatile and relevant- cultural, aesthetic, immaterial subtexts, i feel that the actual fragrance notes only confirm these statements. Uncommon, never too cheap or offensive sweetness, powdery drydown that never smells musty, dirty dusty, stuffy or cluttered. Refined spicy warmth, tough a moderate, armotaic touch of rare essences, exhaling that cold, wintery sparkle of demonic beauty and brilliant intellect mentioned above. These aromatic notes have a subtle, almost ozonic, oothing drydown, reminding of vanilla and other traditional winter spices, also slight touch of wood, but also a moderately bitter and dry edible note- coffee and cocoa combined, yet nothing nearto many mass market scents capitalizing on edible notes: here i never actually smelled a faithfull, 100% percent imitation of coffee, cocoa or vanilla deserts, i just guessed a very discreet hint of raw, unprocessed essence of the most expensive, precious, luxurious vanilla, cocoa or coffee. Also, a certain touch, yet only marginally edible-style of toffee, combined or increased by musky tones, and, as uncommon it might seem ( for this is a usually overtly masculine, sometimes rugged and potent ingredient), touches of leather, but, from the leathery note, only a mild, mellow, full-bodied sweetness and an effusive, but never too strong or heavy, just distant, unnatainable sensation of warmth being kept. The spicy notes also include woody and almost incense-like notes of pepper and other winter spices, which, however, are never too pungent or excessively aromatic, as their are combined into a softer, more balanced background correcting, neutralizing every excessive or overspiced note- it all seems to melt down into a bath of aloe vera, Neroli or lavender, adding a certain aquatic softness to the otherwise to harsh display of too spicy notes- indeed some cooling, watery, airy and almost neutral base. <br>Basically, this scent is also a more modern, more daring, yet never watered down-version( unlike many "eau" or "acqua" versions of established scents, chiefly extremely watered down and synthetic parodies, distorsions of exquisite classics) of Hammam Bouquet or Opus 1870- while it's never a cheap copy of these two, not even a lighter, more casual re-enactement. The similarities don't go further that all the three scents include, in different combinations and differently concentrated sveral sweet, leathery and aromatic notes, but , in my opinion, in Endymion they are at their best and show fragrance notes beyond the most daring, but also beyond the most elitist achievements of perfume-making.

05th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2008)

Pappy's avatar

Fiji Fiji

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Lemony. Will make you smell rich and refined.