Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Pappy's avatar

Fiji Fiji

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is my favorite fragrance. Also, its one that girls love. VERY classy and sexy.

supermarky's avatar

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

I wonder if the baron de charlus was speaking of the spezie room spray as well as the fragrance. the spezie room frag is so different from the cologne. It does smell very much of a medieval apocothary (sic). Very sweet. The cologne, going on, is almost sour by comparison. The dry down is similar to the sweet aura of the room spray with a big extra infusion of incense absent in the room spray. This is a beautiful room spray and quite a wonderful cologne as well, although I'm not really enamored of the opening and first hour of it, what's left behind is truly a source of subtle intoxication to wear as it wafts up from time to time, the sillage is quite strong and quite irresistable and the incense notes remind me of the incense notes of mark birley but here they are more forcefull and that's all to the good!

Tovah's avatar

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (new) by Bourjois

Apricot, Bergamot oil, Green Note, Peach, Violet,

Damascene Rose, Heliotrope, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Ylang-Ylang,

Amber, Cedar, Musk, Sandal, Vanilla

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Salty and watery. Actually, very salty. Great lasting power and projects itself very well. Dont think there's anything on the market like Kenzo PH... and if there is, I cant imagine it being done this well. It strives to smell like the sea, and it succeeds at doing so.

Orphée by Maxims

Watermelon at it's best! A much better version of Kenneth Cole's Reaction. Just take out the Sour Apple note and add 3-4 more hours of longevity and you have Orphee. A definite winner for the Summer months!

05th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2008)

Unbound for Men by Halston

Said to be a better version of Acqua di Gio. I dont agree, but it's certainly a steal for the price. Aquatic and fruity, I guess we all know what kind of reception that will draw around here, but somehow, Unbound is pretty well received in these parts. Even with it's many similarities to AdG... imagine that.

05th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 16th March, 2010)

Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I love Aqua di Roma. I realize it's everything that most BN'ers cant stand, but that usually means it's perfect for me. You get a big bag of overwhelming grapefruits to start out with. Followed by peppery spices not unlike what you'll find in Givenchy's Blue Label, with a little less ozone that makes this more of a citrus rather than an aquatic (despite it's moniker). You can acquire a 4.2 oz bottle for around 30 USD, now that's a steal!

05th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 16th March, 2010)

zenpiper's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I like this stuff. It is dark and mysterious and compelling and good. It draws me in again and again with its complexity. That said, this is not "me" any more than is driving around in a Ferrari. A Men is something I can appreciate and admire but I just can't get comfortable with it: what am I trying to prove? If I want power that is closer to "me" I'll go for either Boucheron or Creed Tabarome.

zztopp's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Notes:

Top: absinthe, angelica, blackcurrant
    Middle: anise, pepper, clove, nutmeg, and ginger, patchouli
    Base: pine, cistus, fir balsam.

Let me start off by saying that I wasnt expecting much from this fragrance. Hence, I was somewhat surprised to find Fou D'Absinthe (FDA) to be a well composed and wearable juice with decent longevity.

The fragrance is apparently constructed around the note of absinthe, an alcoholic herbal ingredient used in liquor. FDA certainly opens with a boozy alcoholy blast - this quickly recedes to make way for a sweet and herbal accord. The blackcurrants make their presence known at this point - theres that certain fruitiness abound. Thankfully, before the blackcurrant fruitiness has a chance to relegate this concoction to the generic "Kool Aid" category, the spices in the middle notes rescue it and usher it to the pine needle and fir balsam base. I would have liked the spices to stay around longer. The drydown is a sweet slightly boozy accord, which is pleasant enough. Being an EDP, FdA lasts longer than your average L'Artisan - ok, not THAT much longer, but you will be able to squeeze out 5 hours from one application. It doesnt project much, and stays close to skin.

FdA has a smorgasboard of interesting ingredients, but there seems to be something "Absinthe" (absent) from its overall construction. The boozy "absinthe" note doesnt last long enough, and the spicy middle notes make too brief an appearance. Ultimately, it settles quickly to a herbal-sweet accord which may not be to everyones liking. I would have liked something more in the drydown to spice it up...like a few spice notes. I dont think I will wear it often, but it is one of the more wearable and satisfying offerings from the house that Laporte found.

Topper's avatar

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I wonder if Jean LaPorte was chuckling while he created Roote du Vetiver. When I first smelled it, I thought a better name might be Root of All Evil. I obtained a small sample (No more is needed to unleash this beast!) this past summer, and immediately upon applying the slightest bit, I was overcome by a volatile reek! Blackcurrants? Vetiver? Perhaps if they’ve been dissolved in a vat of acetone! I challenge anyone who’s had the misfortune of becoming too familiar with the stench of this solvent not to be immediately transported back to whenever that familiarity was gained.

All earlier remarks concerning silage, projection and longevity are right on target. Silage? Like the Queen Mary! Projection? Infinity! Longevity? Forever! Essence of vetiver grasses and roots, blackcurrant, leafy green, bourbon vetiver, precious woods, jasmine, sandalwood and musk? If you say so. But all I get clearly is blackcurrant and the reek of solvent. The remainder does not remind me of vetivers I am familiar with from Creed or Guerlain. I don’t get moist soil or vegetation. In fact, if you take away this scent’s overwhelming volatility, its actual fragrance seems to me quite subtle, and even delicate.

I’ve sampled it again, now that the weather has grown cold, and must confess it’s not entirely without appeal in cold, dry conditions that minimize its volatility. Not something I’d choose to wear but perhaps not something that will immediately gag the minions either.

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

An initial blast of cumin and pepper left me confused. My experience with cumin has leaned toward negative, initiated by the unfortunate reformulatin of Rochas Femme. Cumin can be overpowering, and here it is coupled with a healthy dose of pepper, which is one of my favorite notes. The effect is unusual and, I must admit, similar to body odor--but in a good way. I find it attractive.
    It was much later that Kingdom truly won me over. A marvelous development took place on my skin. Apparently, copahu wood is responsible for the "pepper" note, and that may explain the "evergreen" scent that came into focus. At the same time, a hint of rose started to subtly creep in. Most importantly, the magic of sandalwood began to take over. Sandalwood is nothing short of a miracle on my skin. Invariably, when a fragrance goes from good to great on me, it is a result of high-quality sandalwood. (The same applies to patchouli.) Kingdom took on a sweetness, a diffuse, airy character, and improved steadily for four solid hours until I had to take a shower. Amazingly, it lasted through the shower, heating up and revealing its final note, a woody, dry/sweet, chypre-type rose. Not the average definition of beautiful, but undeniably beautiful indeed. Unique, remarkable, a must-try on the skin. Plus, the bottle is gorgeous.

Tabac Blond by Caron

After the initial slap of leather, the animalic notes recede and a spicy aroma combines with the leather. (I smell a bit of clove, which must actually be carnation.) This fragrance is gently enveloped by sweetness until it succumbs completely to that lovely Caron base. Naughty enough to turn heads, the tobacco and leather notes are nevertheless courteous and approachable, and yes, even feminine. Much more of a "real" leather scent than most that are marketed today. Totally enjoyable. Lovely, a must-try.

Calèche by Hermès

An old-fashioned floral perfume with a bit of a clean soapy presence. Hermes has a way of "owning" a fragrance, interjecting its signature and presenting it as unique and classy. With its lily and neroli notes, Caleche is cool, refined, and unusual by today's standards.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Unusual, fresh, green, dry, unsweet. Smells like citrusy lemongrass from the Thai grocery, with a little salty celery, and a bit of smoky, dusty cedar. Very refreshing. A good palate-cleanser from all other scents. Airy, not particularly long-lasting, but avoids harshness very well.

Heliotrope by Etro

Almond and vanilla--is this marzipan? I feared that this would become too dessert-like. Then an interesting development began to take place on my skin. This fragrance began to melt into my skin and turn COOL and smooth. It took on a sweet, chilly fragrance that was neither floral nor gourmand, merely cool and pure and unbelievably smooth.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

Narciso Rodriguez (EDP in the pink bottle) is one of the new "pink chypres," which is formulated without the "classic chypre" combination of bergamot + real oakmoss/treemoss + patchouli + labdanum and other, various assorted green, fruit, floral, and wood notes. This new genre is not as wild and untrammeled, nor as pungent and unpredictable as the classic chypres could sometimes be. However it succeeds in creating the delectible sweet/sour, salty/bitter, wet/dry contrasts that make a chypre so great . Narciso Rodriguez EDP is concocted of creative synthetic notes, but I smell rose, peach, vetiver, and musk. As a man-made scent, it retains its characteristics and stays true from start to finish. I am a fanatic for chypres and own and wear many, both new and old, well-known and niche. (See my wardrobe.) My teenage daughter thinks most of them smell too "old" for her, but she fell in love with a little pink tester of Narciso Rodrigurez (not the black bottle, which is a honey/orange blossom/musk and lacks the rose/peach note.) I think this is a fine introduction to chypres for the young generation. Good job.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love the smoke, I love the leather. I wish it were less sweet. If the honey were reduced by half, I would adore this. It smells like walking into a darkened smoking lounge, where men in business suits are sitting in overstuffed leather chairs and couches, reading newspapers beneath Tiffany lamps, smoking pipes and drinking rum. It conjures up dreamy, imaginative version of Men's Territory. It smells like snuggling into the suade vest of a man who has smoked a cigarette--how sensual. I wish the men weren't wearing so much sweet cologne, though. It detracts from the dryness of this scent.

Song of Songs by Ayala Moriel

I rarely find a fragrance that smells so familiar, yet none of the notes listed are responsible for what I am smelling. My guess? Beeswax, a big hunk on a wooden frame. Wild honey, unpredictable in its fragrance, sweet and sour, flavored by the random plants from which the bees have gathered nectar. The only reason I can offer for my guess is that it smells like church--the frankincense and the little beeswax candles that we light. Innocent, clean, meditative scent.

Guilt by Ayala Moriel

Orange and chocolate--what's not to love? This smells exactly like one of my favorite candies of all time: Sticks of jellied orange candy dipped in dark chocolate. This perfume is a perfect olfactory imitation of that confectionary. This is why I cannot wear gourmand fragrances. I want to eat my arm. I see that there are florals in here, mimosa, frangipani, jasmine, and rose, but I do not smell them. For safety reasons, I would advise self-restraint when wearing this one. It could very well cause you to blow your diet. If you are a gourmand lover, go for it.

L'Écume des Jours by Ayala Moriel

Enchanting, fresh, green floral. The flowers are cool and aquatic, as if floating serenely in an emerald pool, surrounded by the scent of growing plants. The Boronia is exquisite. It has a clean, spicy presence. Ayala Moriel's other green fragrance, Grin, has boronia and is a favorite of mine. This ingredient in combination with green pepper imparts a spicy "live plant" fragrance. Seaweed in the base gives the whole fragrance a unique and compelling wild and "freshly-watered" aroma. Add lotus flowers, and you can imagine this lively but peaceful fragrance.

05th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 25th April, 2008)

Finjan by Ayala Moriel

Coffee, tastefully light-handed, with cinnamon and a touch of orange and clove, all of which smells just right in the cool weather. I am not the right person to review gourmand scents because I do not wear them. I have a terrible sweet tooth. They make me too hungry. I literally had to get up and fix myself a cup of hot, spiced coffee, this is so realistic.

Indigo by Ayala Moriel

I used to consider anise and terragon "off limits" notes, this perfume has changed my mind. I try to test perfumes "blind," not knowing their ingredients, which is good because I would have imposed my prejudices here. Instead, I wondered, "What is that camphorous, slightly sweet, almost woody aroma?" It developed nicely on my skin, never becoming candylike, but expanding and unfolding in a serious, restrained manner. I was surprised when I read the list of notes. Cedar is a brilliant choice as a base note here. Surprising, lovely, airy, unique, impressive.

Duncan's avatar

UDV for Men (new) by Ulric de Varens

I received a sample of this with a recent online order. This fragrance is virtually indistinguishable from Davidoff's Cool Water. OK if you like Cool Water I guess, but I imagine UDC is more pricey.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

I enjoy the black pepper and wood notes, I'm less fond of the dill, fennel and peppermint that I think get more prominent with time altough they're listed as topnotes. I'd say the pepper is actually the topnote and I'm sad to see it go. I wish there were more pepper perfumes, if there were, I might not have to keep this despite its flaws.

intheplace2b's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

If there ever was a scent which defined "fresh" Mugler Cologne would have to be it. Absolutely perfect scent that lasts and lasts, perfect for a warm summer day. I find a light spray of this just brings a smile to my face. I can't rate this highly enough.

TaoLady's avatar

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'm with Robyogi...and I'd add "sexy".

vampixi's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

There's no point comparing it to Angel, it was never going to be like it after being called alien was it? I can't stand Angel anyway, I agree this is so much like Dior's poison. Really dry, long lasting, a bit acetone-y. Men seem to like it. It has warmth and a coldness at the same time- very intiguing....

machula's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

i loved it when i was a teenager, as calchic wrote, it is exactly the smell of the colour yeallow has in my imagination. i liked that it conveys an unmistakeable feeling of happines, sunrays, and i adored the cantaloup component in it. hm, having said that, i think i should revisit it...

Endymion's avatar

Hungary Hungary

L'Uomo Trussardi by Trussardi

this was a great creation. it reminded me of jazz but with warmth. elegant, easy and comforting. don't understand why it was unpopular that they had 2 discontinue it's production :(

Endymion's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Kenzoair by Kenzo

i absolutely cannot sense a thing... :( is there really a scent?