Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

rtamara41's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Thanks to Djuna, I now have a decant of this, and I agree with the descriptions of smoke, rubber and black tea...but I think that it should not be reserved for Batman only, how about L'Eau du Catwoman? It's soft enough for a woman.
    I also see how it could be a good layering fragrance.
    I like it very much!

thisbekevinn's avatar

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

Oh my lord this one smells fabulous!! One of my goodfriend owns a bottle of this and just ran out, it smells wonderful and the citrus isn't that plain onld Acqua Di Gio lemon scent but something new.

Ignore the ugly bottle and give this fragrance a try!!

Mikey Q's avatar

1881 by Cerruti

Very nice scent. Long lasting and primarily sweet. Fresh and somewhat lemony. Does have a bit of a sharpness to the drydown, but ultimately finishes to be a classy, warm fragrance.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I don't get the rubber - but certainly the tea and smoky wood - also a little touch of sweet. This is (so far) my favorite from house Bulgari, but I'm just having a hard time deciding when I would wear this. I'm sure office would be OK as would any casual occasion. I will call it cutting edge simply because I have never smelled ANYTHING like it. I give it thumbs up, maybe I will even buy a bottle when I run out of Armani Code. The two are not so much similar in fragrance notes, but I would wear either in similar circumstances (casual Fall comes to mind).

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

I like it, but then I also like Yang by Jaques Fath. The Bulgari version seems lighter - maybe a bit fresher - but they are similar. Yang has superior sillage (and longevity - always a problem on my skin). - My $.02

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I guess aquatics are just not my thing, I've compared the Bulgari Aqua with the original Bulgari PH (and the extreme version) I like the PH and extreme, but probably wouldn't buy them because they seem far too subtle on me. Same goes for the Aqua de Bulgari. All aquatics eventually lead me back to L'eau D'Issey, which I own, but am no longer very fond of. I will give Bulgari Aqua points for capturing the "seaside" salty note to a T, but if I want to smell like the ocean, I'll go to the beach and swim in it.

Corduroy by Zirh

Am I crazy, or is this the original DK Men by Donna Karan in an uglier bottle??? I get sweet, then a leather/wood drydown similar to John Varvatos, but the sweet seems to hang around through the entire drydown.
    I LOVED DK Men, and I really like Corduroy as well. I would say it is suited best to the under 30 crowd, and is a good all around casual/office scent. THUMBS UP!

Havok's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I bought this cologne on a whim because it was on sale, and I had heard such great things about it from other reviews. I really don't like this smell at all, in fact, I think it's disgusting. I really don't want to "bash" this cologne, since I rarely ever do, I can find the good things about almost any cologne, but this one, seriously, doesn't do it for me. Try it before you buy it!

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

I can totally understand why some people love this. I indeed loved the eventual dry down, after quite a few hours wear, the deep vanilla was mouthwateringly sexy! But the first hour or two were just awful to me - I now understand it when people compare a perfume to bug spray. It was so sharp and strong, I could never wear this myself but can enjoy iy (in moderation) on others - definitely not one to over-spray.

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I adore this scent, which is strange as usually I'm not the biggest fan of floral (particularly rose) scents. But VI is very beautiful - soft and feminine, and the rose does not feel old-fashioned at all (to me it is a million miles away from YSL Paris, which I can't stand). I can sense a green note in there too (maybe the star anise?) which keeps this fragrance slightly "fresh". I've owned this before, and am also planning to make this my signature fragrance of 2007

Rush by Gucci

No, no, no, no, noooooo... This totally doesn't work for me. Smells like hairspray on me, kinda chemically. The only fragrance that actually made me feel nauseous.

Stella by Stella McCartney

Stunning fragrance. Makes me feel so feminine, and for some reason it smells really English to me. I'm loving the tea rose. But the staying power is not so good...

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Love this scent but I can totally understand why many people detest it - it is very rich and can be so cloying! Saying that, to me it's delicious, not too sweet, and a very unique, one-of-a-kind scent. My boyfriend didn't like it - didn't hate it, but thought it was weird.

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I wore this exclusively for 4 years. It's very sweet (the grenadine?) and grapefruity - a very youthful scent. Light, feminine. Might be a bit sickly for me now. Packaging is so pretty and cute

Trouble by Boucheron

When I first tried this in Harrods, I fell totally in love with it - it seemed so soft and well-blended, the epitome of femininity, with awesome lasting power. I ended up caving in and buying a bottle when in Sephora in Paris. But now after owning this scent and wearing it daily for a few months, my love for it has declined. Suddenly I can pick up on a sharp note that I couldn't detect before. And the fragrance seems just too "mature" for me - I'm 22, and it somehow feels wrong on me. I won't repurchase.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I liked this when I was a teenager, bought this a while ago but didn't seem to remember why I liked it then. Seems there's a big difference between the EDP and the EDT, I bought the EDP and my memories were of the EDT which is much better and lighter. The EDP is way to strond to call it a light perfume. Basenotes schould make a difference between these two versions.

Ardenbeauty by Elizabeth Arden

Reminds me of Avon-soap, lily-perfumed. This one stays in the middle, not outstanding, something anyone could wear without being noticed. I smell citrus in it, which is not in the notes though, and a lot of lily. The topnotes are the best of this perfume, the rest is very plain.

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I always love the smell when I walk into a perfume store (I guess everyone here does) and this smells just like it! It's like a melange of all kinds of good odeurs. A keeper!

Miracle by Lancôme

I always got good comments on this one ('You smell gorgeous). Every guy wanted to know what I was wearing, seems that it's a very sexy fragrance (and they have to tell us).

212 On Ice (2004) by Carolina Herrera

This one reminds me of Promesse by Cacharel, although I find this better because it has less floral notes. It's fresher and less nose-tickling then Promesse. A real summer fragrance which you can spray thoroughly without being it too much... .

Beautiful Sheer by Estée Lauder

Like this one to, reminds me of Tommy Hilfiger

Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estée Lauder

I love this one! Never tried the original though, but this one really does it for me. The only problem is, that I don't know when to wear it, it's certainly not on office-perfume as many people dislike it.

Promesse by Cacharel

I loved it and bought a bottle of it, but now I can't remember why. Probably because it's fresh and floral and I thought it would be appropriate for summer. I don't like the woody base though, it's like the only thing I smell after 5 minute wearing Promesse together with a smell of cheap soap. Not outstanding at all, this doesn't tell anything about one's personality. As a mather of fact there's something tickling my nose everytime I smell it, way to artificial.

zhaocan's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

i can't agree with takemyhusbandpiz any more!they are completely identical.

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

One of my favourite fragrances - albeit not entirely on account of its scent alone, but also because of the memories that go along with it.

It is surprisingly tricky to describe Ivoire, or its effect. Overall, it has a fascinating personality, somewhat reminiscent of a fresh yet discreet and modest "good girl" who goes on to reveal an undercurrent of subtle (and fun) anarchy.
    It reminds one (personality-wise) of a typical "English rose", perhaps transplanted to other climates.

It is for women who are "forever young". Subtle fun, feminine freshness, and a soft but unyielding personal dignity are its main decriptors, in my opinion (obviously).

L'Origan by Coty

A very (in)famous femme fatale of the olden days used this one: the countess Maria Tarnowska.

Did she wear it mostly because it was fashionable (it came out two years before she was arrested), or did it really complement her apparently irresistible person?

I guess we'll never know... ;)
    And I would love to smell it again.

Givenchy III by Givenchy

Extremely classy - one of the most elegant scents of the 20th century. Sober yet fresh; airy yet substantial, it exudes a VERY feminine elegance.

Unfortunately, it has the life span of a fruit-fly... ;(

Mitsouko by Guerlain

For some reason, this delightfully mysterious scent always reminded me of tincture of Valerian. ;) Even so, it is certainly distinctive, and for me nothing is more important than that.

I also find it to be one of the most "treacherous" fragrances there are. By that I mean that its reaction with an individual's skin tends to be even more unpredictable than usually. (Which is actually a good thing, at least in my book, but it does require a lot of patient testing.)

Joy by Jean Patou

It's funny - but not really surprising - to find all these reviews of people who "wanted to enjoy it", but simply couldn't...

The very same thing happened to me.
    I ordered it for my mom when I was fifteen, mostly out of curiosity - OK, and also out of pure, undiluted teenager snobbery ;).
    Anyway, I was already turning into a serious collector, and so I was prepared to sniff the most gorgeous perfume on Earth (or at least the most expensive one).

What a surprise... To me (and to my mom, by the way), it smelled like some hotel soap, made with synthetic flower essences.

And it still does. Many years later, I still don't "get" it.

It must be the chemistry, of course.
    (Mine is such that even vinegar would start smelling like heady violets on my skin, after it dried down..:))
    But I can't really rate it positively, so I'd rather give it the benefit of doubt and rate it "neutrally".

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

Gorgeous fun!
    Yes, fun, too, can be "gorgeous" - and it's called "Scherrer". ;)

There is nothing like a drop of "Scherrer" on a woman to light up a dull, foggy, late autumn day. To me and others who love it (surprisingly few are really aware of it), it is one of the most powerful "pick-me-up" scents: thorougly modern, cheerful, dynamic, confident - and oh-so feminine.

Love it!