Fragrance Reviews from February 2006

benb's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

I think this is Baldessarini Concentrees disorderly not so well behaved cousin.
    benb

christykat's avatar

Still by Jennifer Lopez

I was really impressed with Glow, so I had high expectations when I tried this one. Still is a little spicier, and I don't like it quite as much, but it's still a nice fragrance... no pun intended. And, as usual, it gets a thumbs up from the boyfriend.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

First of all, I'll say it's one of my very favorite colognes and the first I bought. This cologne is quite potent, but as long as you don't overdo it, it's great. It's quite spicy and masculine, but not traditionally spicy - it has a unique spice note in it that it carries all the way through its life from just sprayed until even the dry down wears off. I should also mention that Egoiste Platinum has good lasting power as well. I really have not smelled anything like Egoiste Platinum, and that's a good thing, as none of us want to smell like every other guy. It is not sweet like it seems is all the rage these days (ex. Dunhill Desire, Chrome, possibly Allure). In a time of similar copycat colognes, Egoiste Platinum stands confidently alone. The description of it says it's recommended for daywear but if you are a man (25+ yrs.) and are dressed properly for it, it can be for daytime wear though I suppose. I think when to wear this one depends on if you are dressed appropriately for it... dress too casual (jeans and sweater) with it and it can ruin it by seeming out of place. Overall it’s an excellent fragrance and I recommend it.

gator's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

I like this. I love the dry down. The combo of musk and vanilla is fantasic. This lasts FOREVER on me.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

This fragrance comes very well packaged, and it's a good thing too...because that's about all the bang you're going to get for your buck with this scent. It's a slight citrus that is not distinctive and doesn't last. try a sample before you buy. Joshaugustt

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

Fresh, yet somewhat effiminate aquatic fragrance. Yet not bad for the fans of the genre.

Pasha by Cartier

Unusual interpretation af an Oriental scent, just a touch lighter, more floral, fresher than the
    usual Oriental mixture. Very mascline, a vibrant, plesantly subtle cologne in a very artistic bottle wich reminds of exclusive Cartier jewelry.

Pi by Givenchy

Classic yet daring and somewhat(in the good sense of the word) eccentric evening wear-scent.
    Classy and pricy exclusive Oriental notes mingled with warm woody and spicy features.

Theorema Uomo by Fendi

Retested this again and, while i will not change my rating, i must say that i found much more notes during my second try than just clean citrus and Mediterranean freshness. Now i also discover the warmth of Roma Uomo, Minotaure and Carlo Colucci and possibly even 1881 Amber. It has a serious touch of sensual amber and adds a distinguished, not overreacted note of discreet yet charm. So, fresh opening, still lighter than the obviously leathery Fendi, yet also the powdery touch i tended to overlook once, but at second glance and sniff i discovered as a balanced and logical conclusion to its initial freshness.

01st February, 2006 (Last Edited: 05 December, 2009)

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Unlike the chillingly, neutrally antiseptic watered-down Cool Water or the much too sweet balsamic notes of Good Life, Zino Davidoff is truly a fascinating male scent.
    Dark leathery notes, a hint of tobacco, a proper quantity of musk, vanilla and wood mingled with lighter touches of citrus and herbs. Carefully crafted robust evening scent, slightly heavy but well balanced after a few minutes. Exclusive partly chypre, partly Oriental mix of timelessly masculine notes somewhat reminding of lavishly costly Davidoff cigar. A true indulgence, especially if combined with an equally indulgent formal evening wear.

01st February, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 November, 2009)

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Reminds me of a slightly cheaper version of Boss Bottled. Not bad, but too much of a teenager scent, much too casual and far too sweet for my taste.

01st February, 2006 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2010)

Essential by Lacoste

This scent is the very statement of sporty, uncomplicated yet essentialy masculine elegance, just like the timelessly famous Lacoste poloshirt itsself. Crisp, uplifting freshness wich is perfectly matches with-what else-genuine Lacoste sportswear.
    A true modern classic, ideal as a summertime fragrance.

lloydy's avatar

Maybe Baby by Benefit

I'm not a fan of floral perfumes that smell like air freshener, nor do I like very rich spicy ones as they tend to overpower me a little. This however manages to combine the best elements of floral and spicy to produce a warm feminine scent, which apparently has a top note of apricot & white ginger, with a middle of fresh water blossoms of cyclamen, lychee & bergamot and a base note of white musk, Himalayan poppy & warm peach. The base notes linger long after and leave me smelling strange yet nice and mellow.

nattygold's avatar

Prada (new) by Prada

I knew Prada reminded me of another fragrance, Zino by Davidoff.They're both woody and contain bergamont,rose,sandalwood, tonka bean and vanilla.I like both but wish I had discovered this before I bought Prada since the eau de parfum intense cost me 3x as much as Zino. Zino even has more sillage than Prada intense, very agressive. As PaidFor This Name said,"Prada isn't the most inovative fragrance." It's nice.

pottlegirl's avatar

N'Aimez Que Moi by Caron

After it blooms on the skin, this is a lovely and classic sweetish floral chypre. The violet is creamy but a bit too candied for me--there's this almost too-sweet edge which rounds out the woods and spice and at times overbalances the composition for me. Nevertheless I appreciate this scent in principle and might on other people as well.

pottlegirl's avatar

X for Men by Clive Christian

I love the cardamon in this! It's what jumped out at me at first, balanced beautifully with earthy cinnamon and peppery spice layered over cedary woods. I didn't notice the bergamot much but to me it blended nicely with the prominent cardamon. On me it was not overly sweet or foody, but it is perhaps overpriced. OK very overpriced, which is why I don't yet own it. I need to sample it further before I could think of buying it retail. Good lasting power too.

Savvy_Nose's avatar

Feuilles Vertes by Creed

I am extremely fortunate to be one of the few people in the world to have smelled FEUILLE VERTE, a one-time, limited-edition scent, which I can confirm has arrived in the U.S. in one hundred 250-ml flacons signed by Mr. CREED. The scent is fresh, virile, vernal and clearly evokes a life of a country gentlemen scented by green fields, shady trees, clear streams, fine wooden houses, thick forest and a paddock of fresh horses. It reminds me of the smell of the woods after the rain. It is extraordinary. Lucky will be the fathers who receive this scent on Father's Day.

scenteur7's avatar

Oyédo by Diptyque

Yuck...smells like a lefesaver. Absolutely did not work for me and even on a test strip, this is nothing that I want to smell like.

absynthium's avatar

Do Son by Diptyque

this is a beautiful blend dominated primarily by tubereuse ,although isnt one of my prefered flower cos is often rendered heavy in perfumery, it was love at first smell with this last diptyque work of art,if you want to feed your souls smelling as dew drenched blossoms in the spring ,let yourself unchain by this fairy fragrance full of smoldering sensuality

fowler's avatar

Aigner pour Homme by Etienne Aigner

Fantasic scent. I've got 1ml left in my bottle that I can't bring myself to use. The ladies love it.

fowler's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

What a great fragrance. This is something I would never buy for myself, but my girlfriend bought it for me and I wear it all of the time now. I agree witht the other comments that it's a very invigorating scent. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it, but now it's my favorite. Hell, I've been wearing it all winter (but it doesn't get that cold in SC). I also have to agree with the strawberry comment. I think it smells like a strawberry fruit rollup. Who knew fruit rollup scents were so good.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Uuuuuuhhhhhh… Nooo!!! This water with light floral is definitely not sexy and not for me! This cologne smells like some old chemical that will nauseate everyone you and everyone around you. I've smelled cleaning solvents that smell better than this. Wear it with caution. Although it's a very popular name in the men cologne industry, I think this light floral water is overrated for what it is and definitely not worth the money. This fragrance has to be one of the vilest and worst ever.

Pasha by Cartier

This is the best "mint" fragrance I have ever smelled! A very, very classy scent... It’s pure, refreshing and highly coveted! It is very rare to smell this scent… like wearing a Cartier watch... not so many wear it!!! Wear it and you will be unique, the crowd will be far away from you....

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Another sexy, hardcore, unique powerhouse oriental cologne that is relatively unknown and hard to find. This is a very good scent, warm and lively; is somewhat sweet with notes of orange, maybe a bit too much patchouli and clove… Smells very similar to Minotaure and Chanel Allure. It has a very sharp captivating scent when it goes on wet and for the middle notes. It finishes very weak as it fades away and doesn't last long. But colognes don’t have to last long to be considered a good or great scent. It's how they make you feel and if they exhilarate your senses that counts. This does both so I recommend. A definite purchase for 2006.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Armani Black Code smells strongly powdery with a touch of vanilla and roasted nuts. Not the worst stuff I ever tried, but I think Burberry Brit is similar and works better on me. It’s average, nothing special or new and it has a familiar scent and you can tell its Armani. Like other Armani fragrances, has very short staying power (+/- 20 minutes) and you need to apply it at least six times for good sillage.

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

This smells a little like Kenneth Cole Reaction, only its a lot more fruitier, strong and totally unprofessional. Should be worn by kids or used as Air Freshner, because it smells just like that.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Baldessarini Del Mar is a great, sporty, sexy, cool and crisp fragrance from what I can tell so far. Has a distinct aquatic scent which subsequently presents a mildly sweet, underlying scent after being on the skin for a while. This fragrance has strong staying power which is a plus. Best aquatic out there right now! Very relaxing and sensual ocean breeze that refreshes the mind and cleanses the soul.

Ma Griffe by Carven

Adore this fragrance. If something isn't broken, don't fix it. Unfortunately, very rarely found nowadays, but a very classic, very sophisticated, very wearable scent. One of the oldies but goodies.

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

One of the better Dior fragrances, but the "Miss" is not accidental. Had no problems wearing it when I was younger (19-22), but recently tried it and it just didn't go with the exterior (tee-hee). Which doens't change the fact that it's a very well put-together scent.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

This was my mother's signature scent when I was growing up; needless to say, I had to have it. It's funny, but it smells completely different on me, even thought the notes remain the same. The all-powerful lily-of-the-valley will forever be one of the most appealing fragrances.

But try before you buy. I've found few people can get away with wearing something so classic, yet remain modernly chic. And certainly not a fragrance for young girls - one needs to reach a certain level of maturity to pull this off.