Fragrance Reviews from February 2006

talish's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

an exceptional perfume, maybe the best in my collection, it carries with it the spirit of the desert. complex and rich, elegant and precious, yet not only for special occasions.
    almost the absolute best.

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I wanted this one to be good on me so badly. It's nice, but not the lyrically dirty musc that I read about. My body chemistry must be the problem: all I get is a floral. Oh well, I still have Chene and Borneo (as well as Daim Blond) as Lutens that really work on me.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The firsts Lutens I ever smelled. It has a wonderful dry-down on me, but has an odd burst of cherry cough-syrup at first that while not unpleasant, is a bit odd. It can pop back up on me as I wear it. As I wrote, it's not unpleasant (I find it compelling, myself), but you might want to get a sample of it before committing.

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The other SL that had me hooked (with Borneo). Hot woods and spices dry down to oak, honey and rum, with Luten's (Or Sheldrake's) uncanny scent of tanned flesh. Love it!

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This was the fragrance that made fall in love with SL- I liked Daim Blond, but this one knocked it out of the park: as a matter of fact, this is the first patchouli I have ever liked enough to own: the warm patchouli on me is perfectly balanced by the slightly bitter cacao and backed up by a faint whiff of camphor and cardamom. Truly beautiful.

aquilaclaudia's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Prada (new) by Prada

I always consider myself as an oriental lover cause I love quite a lots of heavy and heady classic orientals such as Chanel Coco, Guerlain Samsara, YSL Opium and even some more latest such as Gucci EDP, Cartier Le Baiser Du Dragon, and many others of these kinds. However, I was not impressed when I tried this one in a department store. It smells rather light and has an elusively sweet hint of orange companied with a seemly complex base note. However, it seems to lack an astonishing power to mesmerize me instantly as many others that I adore. I agree that it does have some sorts of classic charms but overall it is very much like just an excerpt derived from some more complex and dark oriental compositions, which is just not enough for me.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

I love this one, from top notes to bottom. I find it very indulgent and lush, and more interestingly complex than a lot of florals. There's one point in the development that I find almost intoxicating, but, really I completely adore this one from start to finish. I do suspect that with this one a lot depends on individual chemistry and how much you like florals, but if you do like them, by all means test this one and see how it goes. I was totally blown away by this first time I tested it, and the love affair hasn't subsided.

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

I like this one, which happens to be a Fifi Award winner, and it's one of my staples. It's a nice light, spunky, cheerful fragrance, very sunny. The fruity top notes are very appealing to me, and then the middle floral notes develop nicely into the warm, less-overtly floral base notes. I've recently given this fragrance as a gift to two people, one in her mid-40s and one in her early 20s, and they both liked it and now wear it regularly.

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

Well, I never would have thought that rhubarb and celery would be nice notes in a perfume, but this fragrance is deliciously clean, fresh, and enticingly "green", and I was surprised, but I genuinely like it. It's a great break from the usual heavier florals I tend to wear, and it's just great as a light casual.

Sensi by Giorgio Armani

The top notes on this are a real wow for me, very fresh and light and spunky, and then the fragrance settles down into something a little sweeter, with a final note of a delicious vanilla (and musk?) that's sweet, but not too sweet. This one is perfect for a great many occasions, because it's subtle but distinctive, and definitely feminine. Very nicely designed fragrance, and one of my regulars.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

If I could wear only one fragrance for the rest of my life (persish that thought, but for the sake of argument), it would be this one. Tresor is sophisticated, lushly floral, and just gorgeous. I love the subtle fruity notes in this, such a wonderful complement to the florals. I love the long, sensual drydown on this one!

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

I started wearing Charlie in the late 70s when I was young and didn't have a very clear idea of who I was or what worked for me. At some point, I discovered other, more sophsticated (and expensive) fragrances and Charlie got edged out in favor of those, but recently, I was given a bottle of Charlie as a gift and I was surprised by how much I still like it. It does remind me of the 70s (hey, EVERYone was wearing it!), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The fragrance is still spunky and quite pleasasnt, and I actually do wear it now, although not all that often. It's a great casual classic, and I'm glad I've rediscovered it.

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

I like this one. It's fresh, and masculine, but not, as we say in Australia, blokey. The opening notes are particularly fresh and pleasant, but its the heart notes that really get me (love the coffee and the wood together!).

Paradise for Women by Alfred Sung

Alfred Sung: "The inspiration for Alfred Sung Paradise fragrance comes from a very special place in my heart. It is a personal interpretation of an idyllic escape, transporting one's thoughts to a peaceful and tranquil setting. It is a place that brings one complete happiness." Well, I don't know that this brings complete happiness, but it does make me happy. It's a smooth, green, cool floral, with a lovely tropical flavor. This fragrance really does make me think of tropical islands where the weather is warm and the jungle is cool and fragrant and filled with delicious fruits. It's a very nice change from the somwehat heavier fragrances I tend to wear. I find Paradise to be refreshing, subtle, silky, and surprisingly enticing.

flee's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I wanted to say no completely only because its sooo popular..I use to wear it back around 2000 until I was at a mall and I smelled it around a group of teenagers. And that's when I said its time to move on. Bottom line is that its a nice scent but for the younger croud and if you wanna smell like everybody else, hey I bought my 15 year old nephew a bottle this past christmas. And he loves it in fact those girls are going crazy over him in school and aqua plays a part in that...

kewart's avatar

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

I adore the scent of almonds so this is nectar to my nose! Very sexy, warm and comforting. I detect honey,dates,rose, vanilla and a woodiness there too. What an amazing combination!! This could be the one I've been waiting for....
    Edit (update) I have now tried the Eau Poudree version of Loukhoum and love it even more than the original.
    It is all pink, fluffy goodness - a totally pampering, comforting scent that will have people fighting to hug you!
    Wear it with pink marabou slippers and a pink silk dressing gown.

20th February, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2010)

kewart's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond / Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

This is a lovely,pampering scent with notes of vanilla, cedar wood, bergamot, lavender and almond. It has a calming effect as soon as you spay it on and contains a variety of essential oils renowned fo their ability to relax. It is subtle and gorgeous in a gentle way.

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

I think this is comme des garcons highest selling perfume, and I love their other scents so much, but something about this one has yet to captivate me. Hmmm. Strange. I try the sample every once in a while, and seem to like it a little more each time. I like their original and #3 better.

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

Designed by Rei Kawakubo & a robot --This is the perfume that made me change my mind from hating perfume to becoming completly obscessed with perfume. Totally incredible. But I can see why some people wouldn't like it, because it is so different than anything else out there. I, on the other hand, love it.

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

The bottle is really cool, looked up the notes and it sounded nice.. But the perfume smells like pure, putrid OAKMOSS -- the cheapest perfume ingrident. HORRIBLE! I wanted to like it and I am glad I didn't buy it. Oh, well. Maybe I am just hypersensitive.

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

This is the most incredible perfume I have ever smelled. It is incredible. It's also incredibley expensive. Me and 3 friends split a bottle, we are now all totally obscessed.

Markymark's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros is my number one compliment getter of all time. One word to describe it would be memorable. Monster thumbs up and it's one of the biggest sellers in Europe. It's very strong as a little goes a long ways, sillage and all. Kouros is nothing like the popular aquatic scents of today. Women love it.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Aspen for Men by Coty

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'I recall the time when I was a house guest at the Western ranch of Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, the hearty, rough-riding President of the United States. He gave us each a bottle of Aspen for Men cologne.
    "De Charlus, you old dudey-boy," roared the President, "what in tarnation do you think of this bully cologne? Is it the finest two-fisted scenteroo known to man? Better than any old Frenchy frilly-dilly, what the hey?!"
    Now, I knew that the President, a lover of the great outdoors and of all things wild and western, had already commissioned a number of fragrances for his own exclusive use. They went by such names as Cactus Jack, Texas Tumbleweed, Leather 'n' Lariat, and so forth, and they all smelled roughly the same: a blend of saddle sweat, gunsmoke, and horse manure. It was therefore with some relief that I was able to inform him that Aspen for Men by Coty was a by no means execrable scent: a citrus opening as sharp as a stetson's brim, with a development, bully if somewhat blatant, as crisp and piercing as dawn in the land of the lonesome pines, as hearty and direct as sunlight on the happy mountain trails.
    The President, highly delighted, proceeded to slap his thigh and to bellow: "Bully for you, Charley boy! You're a genuine darned poet of the frontier! And, remember, like I always say, speak softly and carry a big stick!"
    "A possible strategy, my dear Teddy," I replied, "but personally, like yourself, I usually prefer to talk loudly and carry a small bottle of cologne."'

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

A clean, light, refreshing lavender scent that still retains a masculine edge.

I only wish it lasted a bit longer and had better sillage, but the quality/price ratio is tough to beat - a winner anyway you slice it.

Catalyst for Men by Halston

Along with Tuscany, a default fall/winter scent that's always a pleasure to wear. The Christmas imagery is right on target - the cloves and citrus suggest sipping hot cider by the tree on a cold evening with a roaring fire going.

A warm, cozy, affordable casual scent that exudes class, character, romance and peace of mind. The sort of fragrance I want to wear when a woman leans on my shoulder as we stare at the moon on a clear, cold winter night and she whispers how she doesn't want the night to end.

Epicéa by Creed

The best pine scent I've encountered. As much as I enjoy Pino Silvestre (only one spray at a time though), this is much classier and quite a bit drier - no musk or amber as far as I can tell.

Bookended by very light citrus notes in the intro and an understated spice coming more into play on the drydown, this is fresh in a way most scentheads today seem to have forgotten about (if they knew at all). Awesome stuff.

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

A solid pine scent that's not as chemical or medicinal on me as on others, but ONLY if it's taken one spray at a time. If I overdo it the lower notes can overwhelm the dry, spicy pine and make it seem cloying, at least on my skin.

Compared to Epicea it leaves much to be desired, although both seem short-acting on me. In moderation it's refreshing and uncommon, at least among my age group.

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I can see why some people may not appreciate it so much, but I'll always dig the way this combines attitude and class, albeit in a rather dated way. Classic without being costly, not to mention assertive without being boorish.

Word to the wise: one spray goes a long way.

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Old-school in the best possible way. Floral, warm, natural and spicy all in equal measure, widely available but made with a nose for quality, long-lasting but not overpowering, always noticeable and interesting.

Definitely different than a lot of what's around now, and that's a very good thing.

Also, the manufacturer knows how to create a product line around a scent - too bad I can't say the same for some of my other favorites.

Another one I can't go wrong with, although I prefer this one in the colder months.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

A fail-safe fall/winter scent that always smells good. Ideal match with my skin, somewhat linear albeit interesting drydown, all class.

In my book, a classic that's beyond reproach. Every man owes it to himself to at least sample this one.