Fragrance Reviews from February 2006

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

There are those wonderful lavender and spice and rosewood notes in the citrus opening, and yet the opening remains remarkably citric — bright, sharp, and pleasing. This scent is a paradise made of citrus, spice, florals, and rosewood. Tuscany / Etruscan is an 80’s classic that has managed to remain current better than most of its 80’s competition. Tuscany is not nearly as aggressive as its siblings and there’s a certain clarity about it that served as a forerunner to more recent fragrances. But it isn’t a 90’s fragrance, either: There’s not a trace of conglomerate accords or glorification of synthetic notes. Tuscany is real and refined and pleasing. It retains its sharpness and clarity and full-bodiedness throughout its top and middle levels and then moves into a soft, classic dry down that caresses the skin. It’s short on duration, but it is an elegant Italian creation that is still excellent after twenty-three years

25 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2007)

Venezia Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Very nice classic bergamot / lavender opening—light, subdued, and well balanced. Already in the opening I smell the cedarwood rising from the base notes and I find this gives the fragrance a sort of a soft, subtle smoky or incense-like overlay: This is rather nice because the notes and the movements are quite clear and smooth and the bit of smoky ambiance add an additional layer of interest to the clean progression of the fragrance. The fern note in the middle is catchy and turns the fragrance greener, but at the same time I pick up an unpleasant and persistent bitter note close to the skin — this could be just my skin’s reaction, and the bitter note doesn’t project off my skin — so it’s not a huge problem. Venezia’s drydown fooled me the first two times I tried it. It is stronger that it seems at first. Five or six hours after applying, there is still a cedarwood / sandalwood accord hugging the skin. This is a good fragrance — the thumbs up is not enthusiastic, but it is appropriate...

25 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2008)

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Versace L’Homme is a wonderful '80s fragrance that has weathered old age quite well. Genuinely Italian, it opens with an superb basil / citrus opening—the basil is so strong that the citrus merely plays a supporting role. I love the opening—so fresh and aromatic—absolutely addictive: it is a bit 80’s, but it’s top of the class 80s. With the heart notes, the fragrance takes on more of a darkness. I imagine that it’s the patchouli, rose, and sandalwood that move it in that direction, and they do a good job of it. Here is also where it becomes obvious how complex this fragrance is. Poised against the dark patchouli / rose accord is the greenness of cedar and fern spiced up with cinnamon and carnation. The lonely jasmine provides what elements of smoothness there is in the middle. This is a serious turn the fragrance has taken. And the seriousness continues through the base. I don’t get much leather; thankfully. I get moss, musk, and incense; the amber, tonka, and vanilla provide only enough sweetness to make the darkness tolerable. In fact, on my skin, the incense dominates throughout the dry down. This is an impressive fragrance and I wonder why it doesn’t get the respect it deserves on the boards. This deserves its place right up there with Polo Green, Aramis, and Drakkar as a bellwether of the 80s. A masterpiece! (Edit of 25 February 2006 review.)

25 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2009)

Mauboussin Homme by Mauboussin

Mauboussin starts out nicely with a beautiful lavender, bergamot, rosemary accord — subtle and rich. It is an opening that reminds me a bit of Caron Pour Un Homme, but it is much more refined and smooth and elegant. This vibrant splash of lavender, rosemary, and bergamot dies down rather quickly to an attractive and much tamer spice and patchouli accord for the mid notes. The middle notes — herbal, spice, and patchouli—don’t quite have the superior elegance of the opening primarily because of the weakness of their sillage. The mid notes are a bit too transparent and just do not achieve enough presence in my opinion. The drydown is a gentle and subtle sandalwood / vanilla that sticks so close to the skin that it appears to disappear. It has even less presence, but is much nicer than even the close-to-the-skin drydown of Pour Un Homme. The accords of Mauboussin are well crafted and beautiful and there is not a trace of synthetics. This scent is elegance and refinement personified. I’ve learned to appreciate the transparent fragrances, and I have learned to admire Mauboussin for that reason and its quality and dependability. Anyone who likes the subtle fragrances should give this one a try—it is a quality fragrance, and it is a comfortable wear.

25 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2008)

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

At first, because of all the hype, I was reluctant to try this scent out but once I spritzed it, it smelt wonderful! Fruity and different is the best word to describe this though the scent does border on smelling like rotten fruit. The dry down keeps getting better and better as the scent gets sweeter to me and to top it all off, the lasting power is great! This is certainly one to try.

Princesse Muscat / Coeur de Raisin by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I'ld like to give this half a thumbs up because it's only the dry down I like. One of the top notes here give me a headache. Apart from that one note, the top layer smells like a very sweet blend of mangoes, berries and grapes. But if you for this to evaporate then it starts smelling truely delicious! It becomes a little powdery, sweeter and fruiter as the grapes and berries become more prominant. You have to smell it for yourself. For me it's well worth the wait.

Sentiment by Escada

This one is extrememly sweet and romantic. The to notes consist of strong florals and an almost cotton candy like base. This makes me drowsy when worn in large quantities (i.e. when it's sprayed more then 4 times). I find myself liking the beautiful bottle more then the scent itself.

Pleasures Intense by Estée Lauder

This smells just like rotting flowers. The top notes don't smell particularly pleasent- too sweet, too powdery, it gives me a headache. But if you wait for the top notes to evaporate then you're left with a rather ok to nice sweet but lighter version. Personally, I don't recommend this as I've only ever found one other person who remotely likes it.

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

At first I wasn't willing to try this out because of the bottle. It looked so tacky and plastic and the design was weird. But don't let that fool you, the juice inside smells wonderful. The top notes smell just like a mixture of grapefruit and lemon with a hint of orange. It's sweet and citrus, a combination which makes me feel so alive, awake and happy- literally the feeling I feel when I'm in love! It's name suits it well.

Incanto Dream by Salvatore Ferragamo

WOW! I love this one. It's a lovely fruity sweet scent that smells like apples. It's name should have "Delicious" in it. This can be compared to Escada's limited editions with the closest one being Island Kiss however I find this scent to be more sophisticated. Too bad it doesn't last long at all in cold weather, I really wish this came in a long lasting EDP form..

jasong9573's avatar

Gendarme by Gendarme

One of the best! This smells like a nice, soap scent. If you want something not offensive; get this. I remember smelling it on a guy and actually having to ask what he was wearing! I never do that! But this smelled too good not to. Worth the price in staying power too. I can smell it the next day...after a shower!

leonard's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Pleasant lasting scent. Not to be be applied strongly though. Fragrance for all seasons, women fall for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

M's avatar

Summer Limes by Floris

stunningly fresh citrus blast, which - unlike other citric scents - seems to last a decent time. The base is "soft woods" to my nose, much weaker than, say, NS by Creed.
    Good office scent for hot summers!
    If you get the chance: Try the shower gel, too, as it is the most refreshing one I have EVER tried!

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Rykiel Woman by Sonia Rykiel

A charming, really cozy fragance! It has great personallity! I have seen it classified as an Oriental-Spicey. At Internet I have found these notes:

Top: Pink Pepper, Violet, Date.
    Heart: Jasmine Petals, Solar Flowers, Bulgarian Rose, Black Pepper.
    Base: Olibanum, Agarwood, Leather, Amber.

It's not so very strong, so it's easy to wear, and it's always right. Longlasting, too, and the bottle is pretty fun!

English Lavender by Atkinsons

A dry, astringent lavender scent with something of the old fashioned feel of Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender. Quite long-lasting and definitely pleasant, especially in its mellower later developments.

Etienne Aigner No. 2 by Etienne Aigner

This was the lecture that the Baron de Charlus delivered to the Society of Perfumes in Paris concerning Aigner No. 2: 'Messieurs and mesdames, consider this comportment of mysterious lemon, powder and spices with its distinctly old fashioned feel. Clearly of exquisite breeding and blending, it must surely acknowledge its affinities with Fragonard's Zizanie, D'Orsay's Etiquette Bleue, and, above all, with Rochas' Moustache. You will note that the estimable Monsieur Joshua d'Augustt (like myself an epicure of rare and non-obvious scents) has already given it his approval - a judgement that it would ill afford us to ignore. Let us therefore follow him into this mysterious salon, this masked ball, this lost domain of old world charm, uttering, as with Moustache, our slightly muted felicitations.'

Ghibli by Atkinsons

A rather mysterious scent: mysterious name, mysterious brown triangular bottle, mysterious liquid inside - and mysteriously hard to obtain. A quiet opening, which put me in mind slightly of a slow stream tinged with lavender, lemon and peat. A development that seems to belong to the same territory as that sometimes explored by niche houses like Etro: a beige or brown aura that is slight, mild and reserved. Then a stronger edge of earth and tobacco. At the risk of sounding distinctly weird, it is imaginatively a bit like visiting the lair of some rather civilized and friendly underground animal. There is almost a smell of warm, sleeping puppies about it. Thumbs up for strangeness.

Hunter by Atkinsons

About as green as it gets. The middle of the forest, acres of ferns, sun on hot stone. Heap big wilderness scent. Pleasant.

Lancetti Monsieur by Lancetti

I thought that this scent reminded me strongly of another scent and so it does: it is like a milder version of Adolfo Dominguez' blunt, green and earthy Vetiver Hombre. If you like the one, you will probably like the other. Personally I don't care for either very much.

Rockford by Atkinsons

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'I recall the time when I was a house guest at the trailer home of Jim Rockford, the celebrated private investigator. He gave me a bottle of Atkinson's Rockford cologne.
    "De Charlus, old buddy," inquired the amiable if somewhat world-weary detective, "whaddya think of this cologne which I guess the folks at Atkinsons must have named after me. Do ya figure it hits the spot?"
    "My dear James," I replied, "please excuse my bluntness but honesty impels me to inform you that this cologne does not so much hit the spot as shit the pot. It is truly abysmal. When you consider the rest of Atkinson's line of male fragrances - the wonderful Gold Medal, the dry but acceptable English Lavender, the mysterious Ghibli, the hearty green Hunter, the delicate green Hurlingham, the somewhat imitative but pleasant Executive and Executive Original Dry, even the vaguely oriental Duke - then you cannot help but wonder what insanity possessed the Atkinson noses to produce this execrable scent and its still more offensive companion, Rockford Ice. Were the philosopher Plato in search of a cologne to embody the Ideal Form of Cheap and Nasty, he would need to look no further than these two fragrances. Sweet Corrinja, Dark and Ugly Goddess of the Divine Cringe, how your vile vapours infect these two perfumes!"'

Rockford Ice by Atkinsons

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'It was, sadly, in a small town in Alabama that I first encountered Atkinson's Rockford Ice. My nostrils somewhat jaded by a surfeit of exquisite and expensive fragrances, I wandered into a dime store and became unaacountably enamoured of this cheap minty monstrosity. After a liberal application, I handed over a paltry sum and walked out with a bottle of the stuff.
    I was no sooner in the street when a couple of policemen, noses twitching in horror, pounced on me and put me in a restraint hold. They demanded that I assume the position while they searched me for weaponry. Discovering the bottle of Rockford Ice in my pocket, they understandably placed me under arrest for possession of a deadly weapon and read me my rights, informing me that I had the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney but that anything I said could be used in a coht of loh.
    Blushing deeply with shame, I wisely chose to remain silent, fully aware that it was the fairest of fair cops.'

Silvestre by Victor

This definitely lives in the same forest camp, if not exactly in the same tent, as those other sylvan soldiers Acqua di Selva, Pino Silvestre and Agua Brava. My provisional ranking: Acqua di Selva: Captain Calm; Victor's Silvestre: Lieutenant Worthy; Agua Brava: Sergeant Strange; Pino Silvestre: Private Dull but Brave.

Ungaro III by Ungaro

It would be hard to better Ken Russell's tremendous review of this fragrance (see below). As also with his fine review of Roma, he really does have the nose and the prose to evoke the poetic essence of a fragrance. That being said, I have always felt rather neutral about Ungaro III for some reason.

Gian Marco Venturi Uomo by Gian Marco Venturi

A peculiar dream: two streets in a town in Italy. In the first, dominated by a statue of their founding father, Azzaro Pour Homme, live a number of mature, silver-haired, silk-suited gentlemen of distinction: Gianmarco Venturi Uomo, Borsalino, Sergio Tacchini, Mila Schon Uomo, Basile Uomo, Francesco Smalto. For some reason, they all put me in mind of Vittorio da Sica, that handsome, elegant Italian actor and film director. Their essential colours are silver and grey, their essential themes, sophistication and abstract elegance.
    In an adjoining street, the tougher end of the Italian trade: Krizia Uomo, Pancaldi, Sergio Soldano Black, Krizia Moods Uomo: smoky and spicy, bold and slighly menacing.
    Moving easily between these two streets, Jacomo de Jacomo, whose pungent, smoky opening unfolds into a development that is smooth and silver-grey.

Fresco by Victor

Very nice light, fresh, refined, smooth citrus. Fresh and light opening, smooth and calm development, citrus always predominating. I really think that this fragrance could give some of the citrus productions of the so-called niche houses a run for their money.

Allure Homme by Chanel

As an ugly brother of my beautiful sister I developed once quite a keen interest in feminine fragrances. I wouldn't serve as an expert. Many, many... many years later it occurred that apparently I was not so ugly after all, and another beautiful woman messed up my mind up. That very moment my interest shifted towards masculine scents. Just to become more attractive. Unfortunately, masculine fragrances seemed all alike. Probably in the very same manner, as faces of Asian people to European eyes. All but Allure. That one I liked on instant. Allure is the very first fragrance I put on myself. I am gentle giant kind of a guy. Allure is neither aggressive, nor arrogant. It does not convey self-confidence. It is just soft and gentle. Perfect smell for tough guys, that dare wearing soft fragrance on them.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Failed being very analytic on that one. It falls into the category of good scents I'd rather not wear myself. Yet I have imagined such a situation. Sea shore, one washes off the sea salt; it's getting trembling cold. One packs the beach set, and, just before putting a casual shirt on, one applies a mist of BdP to the chest and perhaps shoulders. The way back home will be accompanied by a classy warmth of rich notes. A mystery in such a setting. Is that formal?

Le Roy Soleil Homme by Salvador Dali

I have just read the review of Ken Russel, which makes so little room for me... Anyway, the scent tastes well, very well in fact, and is "easy to wear", as noted before. Dynamic. Not to be well defined... My favourite notes in it are the warm and floral ones. Is it, however, warm and floral scent? Far more than that!

Sandalo by Etro

Tried to combine it with other scents from Etro. Nice to play with. A note od Etro Lemon Sorbet + little bit of Etro Ambra... I kinda liked it that way (in fact I loved it). As my nose is probably not to be trusted I give thumbs up to the Sandalo pure. Lovely scent!

Original Vetiver by Creed

It is one of the scents I keep smelling on myself. My nose is ceaselessly attracted to the sources of it; throughout the course of the day. At first there is not much vetiver itself into it - just happy green grass thing. Soapy? In a way yes. The day gets tired, my clothes saturated with all the scents I had contact with... Usually not a particularly satisfying mix. Yet my shirts remain reminiscent of the morning bathroom labour. The note of the house of Creed still there. Be it soapy or not, I still like it.