Latest Perfume Reviews

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is an agreeable, powdery, fruity rose perfume. The opening reminds me of a clean baby, fresh from the bath with warm skin projecting baby bath products. As it develops, the powder fades, and it becomes a more mature fruity floral.

Corsica Furiosa by Parfum d'Empire

I bought Corsica Furiosa a couple of years ago in LA, when I was staying down the road from Scent Bar. After an extended session of looking for the perfect bottle, I got this. I was looking for something cold, or flinty, or green. Well, I got cool and green. I've since decided that my fantasy of a 'flinty' scent will probably remain in the realms of dreams.

CF has a green which is sharp and somehow wild or weedy. I've read a lot of reviews talking of tomato leaf but that's not exactly what I get - we had tomato plants in a sunny room when I was a child and I love and would recognise the smell anywhere. What I smell here is more like a waft of weeds or gorse (green not flowers) on a hot dry day carried by the wind. There's also a citrus note that I love - sharp but not sweet. It's listed as lime, and it's absolutely lovely to see it done justice and not appearing with coconut!

It's definitely and uncompromisingly green, and all day I've been getting hits of sharp dusty shrub.

Essential by Lacoste

This is an extremely "zesty" juice to my nose that works perfectly in the spring and summer. Geared towards a younger demo IMO. Would be good as a weekend or casual scent. Nothing overbearing to my nose and will last about 3 or 4 hours on the skin. For the price it's ok to blind buy but if you are looking for something a little longer lasting try Frapin Passion Boisee. The Frapin in more expensive but overall better done.

Sensuous Nude by Estée Lauder

A fruity opening - sweetish - with a slightly orangey undertone dominates the top notes.

The drydown some adds two main streams of development: (1) a floral side, with muguet being quite strong, combined with a bit of jasmine and a somewhat bland rose impression. (2) A concurrently developing coconut aroma, that gradually gains in exposure and lasts deep into the later phases. Both work quite well together.

The base adds - what a surprise! - vanilla again, which is not really a stroke of originality, combined with slightly honeyed woodsy accompaniments that fade out towards the end.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and eleven hours of longevity on my skin.

The major creative achievement of the spring scent is the unusual use of the coconut. The major drawback is the regrettably generic nature of the rather synthetic ingredients.

Nude? Certainly bare of any natural goodness. 2.5/5.

Joy by Jean Patou

The Patou fragrances I've tried, Pour Homme, Pour Homme Prive, Eau de Patou, 1000, and Joy, have been fantastic. Joy is a big floral with plenty of character. I think it comes from a combination of the flower concentrates and a dash of animalics. I'm sampling from a pre-2000 version, I believe.

Looking at the listed notes, peach, jasmine, tuberose, musk, and civet sound right to me.
21st May, 2017

Modern Muse Le Rouge by Estée Lauder

A loud, artificial candy-raspberry-cum-blackberry lolly impression greets me, and it is not of the very pleasant type. Very generic, very unimpressive.

The drydown, not unexpectedly, shifts to the floral range, and after expecting another onslaught of laboratory fumes I was pleasantly disappointed: whilst the rose I am getting is rather pale and anaemic, there is a triad of jasmine and magnolia, with whiffs of oleander on its tail, which are, whilst still somewhat generic, synthetic and pedestrian, much more convincing and lack the unbalanced features of the top notes.

The base develops a slightly spicy undertone with an ambery side - this time there are ultra-generic notes - and a vanilla aroma that is agreeable but rather trite indeed.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a impressive nine hours of longevity on my skin.

A spring scent that alters between bluntly biochemical laboratory fakeness and phases of unexciting pleasantness. Be-muse-ingly unamusing but just acceptable. 2.25/5.
21st May, 2017

The One for Men Eau de Parfum by Dolce & Gabbana

I find something in the formula of Dolce and Gabbana The One for Men, edt and edp, especially interesting, mostly in the top, but the bases are duds.

The edt may have more promise in the top, but more disappointment in the base. The edp seemed quieter in the top, but stayed interesting longer into the development. Overall, I think the edp improves on the edt. Something in the base of the edt seemed more objectionable.

Polo Blue Eau de Parfum by Ralph Lauren

To me, Polo Blue edt and now Polo Blue edp smell like what I think of as hedione, an interesting synthetic ingredient that can grow tiresome, and I was tired of it before I tested Polo Blue edp. It has come across of harsh and unpleasant, and difficult to wash off.

Bottega Veneta pour Homme Parfum by Bottega Profumiera

This is called a "parfum" but it's and eau de parfum. Better than the EDT, it's spicy leather scent. The leather/tonka is the best part of this scent. It wears well and long, but it's not a sillage monster. I also like the women's version with its plum/violet with leather.

Not a good blind buy as it's a hit-or-miss scent.

Trying this is a must.

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

Review of the Eau de Parfum

The opening begins with a white floral impression, a lovely hyacinth that is given additional fresh touches by a bright citrus undertone. There is a green, nigh grassy undertone present that enhances the feeling of an certain crispness.

Heading towards the drydown the emphasis shifts to the downwards floral side, adding jasmine, narcissus and transient whiffs of geranium in addtion to a very light touch of a restrained bright rose impression in the background. Later on a woodsy pine note is evident, a very dry and refinedly herbaceous pine without any sweetness, and quite different from the traditional Pino-Silvestre-style heavier pine compositions.

A very soft amber leads into the base notes, paired with a restrained mossy undertone, whose subtle tartness is not standing out - this is no Gucci Nobile - but blending in with the rest quite inconspicuously. At times the oak moss is possibly a bit too perfunctory. This is rounded off by a somewhat generic white muskiness - at times veering to a stronger gold musk character, which is thinly draped over the other notes like a gossamer veil without any civety components whatsoever on my skin. Echoes of the earlier floral potpourri follow on into the base, mixing with the rest superbly and harmoniously and forming a round, rich and sophisticated floral-chypre architecture that very gradually vanishes towards the end.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

This is on the whole a beautiful creation for spring evenings; mature, confident, rich, and mostly composed of ingredients of the finest quality, supremely blended whilst maintaining excellent structure. One of Estée Lauder's best works. 4/5.

Oudh Infini by Parfums Dusita

My first reaction on spraying this on was pure horror. “I smell like a $hitty nappy!” was my first thought, but that didn’t seem right, then it hit me – I smelled like the cattle pavilion at the Ekka, but still with that pooey indolic note, and I desperately wanted to race straight back into the shower and scrub like hell. I almost did, almost, but I made myself wait. I’m so glad I did, because after a couple of minutes, it started to settle and the other notes started to peek out. And after three hours, I’m getting it all – rose and sandalwood and soft creamy vanilla, with a touch of earthy skank from the civet, and wafts of smoke and leather. The Oudh in this is amazing – rich, woody, sumptuous. There is something cosy and comforting about this, which isn’t something I’d associate with such a blatantly animalic scent, but there is. I keep burying my nose in my elbow to hoover up the scent – it’s lovely and quite addictive.

And it sure got the attention of my cat, who has a bit of a thing for the skanky animalic scents. I went to pat him and his head shot up and he started frantically sniffing my hands. I’d just washed them and thought it was the soap, then realized what must have caught his attention, so I let him smell my wrist, and it went something like this: sniff sniff sniff sniff, funny look up at me. Head down, more sniffing, then a deeply suspicious, slightly accusing look. Then he fell back asleep.

It’s not a scent for the faint-hearted, and given the price (somewhat hair -raising for a 50ml bottle) definitely try before you buy, because this is a scent that you will either love or loathe. I’m well on the way to falling in love with this one. A big thank you to purecaramel for the sample!
kupgup Show all reviews

Novacaine by Tokyo Milk

Mmmmmmmmmm. This is a favorite. Spicy--as in ginger and nutmeg, and also as in hot peppers. There's prominent incense notes, and just enough floral to give it a hint of sweetness. It's warm and sultry and gothy.
kupgup Show all reviews

Notting Hill for Her by English Laundry

It's . . . nice. Like something a nice person would wear in nice company while having a nice conversation over a nice cup of tea.

I get zero citrus off of it, nor peppercorn. It's pretty much just flowers, sweet and inoffensive and bland. It's got a smiling-and-nodding vibe.

But I can't hate it, though. I just can't! Despite being a sarcastic grump about everything, and a pretty big hater of floral notes that rub me the wrong way. It's just too gosh-darned gentle and mild-mannered to hate.

And I also have to give it props (and ultimately the thumbs up rating) because--despite being insufferably bland to my nose--it sparked my interest in fragrances.

I've spent most of my life sniffing toiletries and going "eeeeewwwwwwww," recoiling when people near me whip out bottles of lotion, being miserable when I have to visit the laundry soap aisle, and generally seeking out products that are unscented or have minimal smells. I was sure I hated basically all fragrances and scented things (candles, lotion, whatever), simply because I'd mostly only noticed ones I found hateful.

Then along came a Notting Hill sample in a subscription box. I gave it a chance just for laughs, because that was the point of getting the box, and what else was I going to do with it?

I didn't like it at first.

But it grew on me over the next hour or so. And then I wore it a few days later. And then I wore it again. Before this I would have told you I flat-out hated conventional smelling flowery perfumes, all of them, full stop. And this really does fall into my brain's "conventional smelling flowery perfume" category, even after some more experience.

. . . But it's just so insufferably nice, that after a few wears I decided to go take some chances sampling other things too. And soon I was finding other things that I found wearable, even things I actively enjoyed (much more than Notting Hill). And I realized that fragrance is actually a pretty interesting thing, even if I don't enjoy everything ever.

So, good job Notting Hill, you sweet little goody two-shoes, you. Could you pass the scones, dear?

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

This has the most refreshing opening I've had in ages. Pepper and mint, with some anise and clove. So it's spicy, but the mint makes it cool as well and a lovely wake up call. I cannot stand the smell of aniseed, probably due to Pernod and cider cocktails in my youth (sometimes I wonder how I made it this far...), and even the smell of anis or the taste of aniseed chewing gum sets me on edge. But when it's well blended in a perfume I've come to love it! And this is great - all of the components work together in a contrasting almost clashing burst. And it stays good, with some amber sweetening the clove. I'm still getting little bursts of peppery spice hours later. I find this one gives me the mind clearing space I often look for in more incensey scents.

It works so well on a sunny day that I'm very curious on how it will be in the middle of winter - I could be looking at this year's Christmas present to self!

Sirène by Vicky Tiel

I always have a bottle of this, in my collection. It is my "go-to" sweet to dark, powdery scent. It contains some of my favorite notes of rose, peony, and violet. I favor this on summer evenings.

A little goes a long way. Lingering sillage. Very girly-girl gift for Valentine's Day.

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

A fig fragrance that to me, is not overly cloying. Just enough citrus to make it clean and refreshing. A delightful summer scent. Reminds me of warm, sunny days, with not "a care in the world" type, happiness. More feminine than masculine IMO. Moderate longevity.

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

I finally got around to purchasing this. It has been on my radar since the early 90's. Why it took so long is beyond me. It is everything I'd hoped for, in a fragrance from the 80's.

Very well orchestrated. It is a genius combination of notes. Rich, full-bodied like a fine cognac. A libation for the soul of a goddess!

To me, no ingredient over-powers another. A classic "oriental".

Sensuous Noir by Estée Lauder

The floral-vs-spicy dichotomy defines the first half if this creation: a medium dark rose with a lighter touch at times, and a pleasant jasmine, and a peppery touch - just to add a bit of spice, but initially in the background.

The heart notes add an agreeable violet with whiffs of fruitiness, but with time the spicy elements move into the foreground- never heavy, rich or dark though, but gradually developing an ever so discreet balsamic touch.

The base grows sweeter, with a lightly ambery vanilla and sweet honey, but not actually stronger in intensity. Carried on a carpet of acceptably restrained benzoin, is vanishes gracefully towards the end.

The sillage is moderate, the projection excellent and the longevity nine ours on me.

A pleasant winter scent with a nicely balanced floral-spice theme, a bit generic at times, and with a base concept that is rather predictable, but overall nice work and well-blended. 3.25/5

Aqua Celestia by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A very simple freshie that is a light clean floral musk that would be a killer laundry detergent and this is why I like it. Wearing this, I smell clean - very pure and natural. The first aroma to hit the nose is soft floral that reminds me of magnolia wafting through a lush green cooling garden but is evidently mimosa flower which is a gentler floral and absorbs its green flavor from lime citrus. In fact this fragrance reminds me greatly of Atelier Sud Magnolia which also contains blackcurrant musk but lacks the mint and green quality of A. Celestia. I have never smelled mimosa before and doubt I could identify it - nice! This soft yellow & green floral has a touch of lime and a slightest hint of mint which dance crisply against a blackcurrant musk clean but dry stopping point. Celestia is similar in character and charm to M. Kurkdjian's Aqua Universalis but slightly less innocent and is missing the narcotic jasmine found in Aqua Universalis Forte. Of these three MFK freshie florals Aqua Celestia is my favorite.

Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella

Tabacco Toscano comes off as a soft interpretation of tobacco rather than a full scale exploration as one had hoped it would be. Tobacco is laced with an accord of amber-vanilla. To me - this is a not so interesting tobacco twist on a straightforward amber fragrance. Leather would have perhaps given it a nice spin, but I hardly get any. The amber accord does add a nice rich brightness to the tobacco, but still it is not interesting or compelling. Good quality materials are employed, but it could have been more distinctive - like Acqua di Cuba as an example.

2.5/5

Azurée by Estée Lauder

Wow! The harshness of the initial aldehyde blast is nigh breathtaking and made me feel that this is quite umplesant, but soon the freshness of the bergamot becomes more evident and the top notes finish of much better.

The drydown - in a somewhat predictable pattern - enters a floral phase, with jasmin, not infrequently found in the heart notes of this house, and an unusually subdued ylang-ylang, which displays limited sweetness and is not the creamy and intensive variety, but is more of the lighter and slimmer type. Orris, cyclamen, and a crisp patchouli- both on the terse side - ensure that the tartness of the opening is not lost throughout the later phases of the development on this olfactory journey.

The base peters out in the aroma of a somewhat stolid white musk impression, a weak amber and a somewhat perfunctory oak moss, but - unlike in many other of Lauder's creations - remains on the hasher side, just the harsh side is attenuated with time.

A fresh, and times unpleasantly synthetic spring composition, which for long stretches is not bad and quite stimulating in its crispness. At times predictable and at times solidly executed, it is just between mediocre and positive in the score - the good performance carries the day here. 3/5.

Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Great patchouli! Very clean for a patchouli (birch tar/leather/cinnamon), unlike the Le Labo. The dry down on my skin gets a hint of funk after 6 hours, which I recently discovered and like. I had always thought of this as a linear fragrance.

Once I'm through with the 15 ml, I'll definitely level up to the larger. I think it's the best fragrance of the Malle line.

Rose Privée by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Dancers in Pink by Edgar Degas

Bentley for Men Absolute by Bentley

Unlike my mediocre feelings towards Bentley for Men Intense, I really love this one.

As many before me have already noted this is a very similar fragrance to Gucci Pour Homme 1; but there are some subtle differences. For one, while this has very respectable longevity on my skin (especially in today's market) it doesn't match the sheer magnitude of the 24 hour plus longevity I still get from the Gucci. That said, this is by no means lacking in longevity. I still get a good 7 or 8 hours out of the Bentley.

The scent itself has already been described in great detail, so I will just say that I agree that it is predominantly a woody incense scent with a touch of sweetness (but not as much as the Gucci).

Armani Code Colonia by Giorgio Armani

This is TERRIBLE! I was expecting a classy restrained Colonia (cologne) style scent -- lemon and herbs.
This is a god-awful melange of sugar and vanilla and very brash, loud synthetic notes.
Absolutely NO redeeming features.

Platinum Collection : Bergamot by Commodity

Quite a bright, citrusy bergamot. Clean and refreshing note. Hint of tea leaves. The patchouli and vetiver are very restrained. A pleasant scent, inoffensive and kind of sunny.

Platinum Collection : Vetiver by Commodity

Smoky, somewhat leathery vetiver. Hints of incense. A bit too sweet for my taste. A bit thin in construction. But, approachable and will appeal to a mainstream market.

Samsara by Guerlain

My mother always had a bottle of this. Now I know why. It is spectacular! This one slipped by my radar. I probably plucked this from mom's dresser, trying it on, but never really noticed its charm. More than likely I was already wearing some other fragrance so that this, was co-mingling with my scent.

Samsara to me, is an oriental with something else veiled within its notes. I get a waft of a creamy-wood vibe, whenever I move. Perhaps it is the blend of Tonka, orris, and musk...

I believe I must always have this perfume in my collection. If for no other reason, to honor my dearly departed mother.

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

An interesting scent. It is not what I would expect from Chanel; I've only ever known their older perfumes such as No 5, 19, and 22.

I like this blend of woodsy notes, in that it isn't like so many others I have tried in more recent days. I get the vetiver, tobacco, juniper, cypress, and pepper notes. The violet note comes later on, for me. I do not detect any aldehydes or sandalwood. That is unusual for me. I can nearly always pick out those. Very well made!

I may have to try Chanel's other exclusifs...

Infusion d'Iris Eau de Parfum Absolue by Prada

High quality from Prada. Ethereal, feminine, and intoxicating. This is the best iris concoction in my collection. It is probably one of the best out there.

The vanilla and musk soften the iris. It is deep, with out drowning you. Overall it is very pretty, for lack of a better word.
17th May, 2017