Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Shycat's avatar

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I just can't get past the mental picture of thick, rich, honeyed rum, funneled by some prankster into the classroom pencil trimmer. I mean, who's gonna clean up that mess??
    I can't give it a thumbs down, though. The sweet richness brings Fumerie Turque to mind, and I suspect part of my Meh factor is just that its not going to be Fumerie Turque! Chene is guite a bit more masculine IMO.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Exotic smelling aquatic scent. Sharp and clean and gets you noticed in a hurry...And unlike inferior aquas, there is not a trace of soapyness to be found, only cool, crisp, distinct, and UNsoapy notes. Requires an extra spray for longevity, however.

Touch GrigioPerla by La Perla

An unknown gem that deserves more attention...I catch cinnamon, cedarwood, bergamot, but especially amber, musk, vanilla, and more amber in the bottom notes. It's actually very unique smelling. Not too loud once it settles in...I wish it would last a little longer, but it's still worth it.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Like others have said, wet roses and patchouli predominate, dovetail beautifully, though I can't really make out anything else (but my sense of smell isn't as refined as a lot of people here). That said, the rose note smells different than other rose notes in other parfumes (e.g.Iquitos)... voleur is more wet and more "real smelling(!?!)"

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

A very nostalgic, romantic and beautiful fragrance. A timeless flowery composition with noticeable rose and iris notes. Suitable for special moments in life of someone who's a bit old-fashioned (in a good way).

Modern by Banana Republic

Crisp, but at the same time sweet and nutty. Too bad I didn't buy it then, now can't find it anymore. Discontinued, maybe?

Eden by Cacharel

Same story - an instant headache, although it seemed really good in the bottle. Heavy on patchouli and pineapple.

Panthère de Cartier by Cartier

IMHO - a very cloying and tiring floriental, one that may easily leave you with a headache - and I love florientals. Definitely not a masterpiece.

Sonoma Valley by Crabtree & Evelyn

A very nice fragrance from C & E - quite unique in its refreshing and light mix of grapes, fig and mimosa. Perfect for spring/summer, daywear.
    Will smell best on a 15-35 old vivacious blonde.

Fidji by Guy Laroche

Fidji is a refreshing, greenish composition from the house of Guy Laroche. Like all truly French fragrances of a begone era, Fidji changes its character significantly from the moment you dabbed it ontj the skin to its complete evaporation. You will travel through luscious landscapes of the namesake island step by step. Serene, poised and really good (especially 'parfum', which I'm not sure they make anymore).

J'ai Osé by J'ai Osé

J'Ai Ose ('I dared' - in French) used to be a luxurious chypre by the house of Guy Laroche before it was downgraded to mass-market status. It was a dry, woodsy uttery elegant composition with hints of fruit. Beguiling, magic, a fragrance you wouldn't forget. Not sure it is as good today.

Nina (original) by Nina Ricci

A timeless floral, with notes of lily-of -the-valley and other gorgeous white flowers. Suitable for most romantic moments (i.e. your wedding) and - in form of eau de toilette - for daily life too. It's becoming impossible to find - and what a pity! Definitely one of the best white floral compositions, never cloying, always beautiful.

rapture2's avatar

Kouros Eau D'Ete by Yves Saint Laurent

(2006 version) Citrus (lemon?) and mint over top the traditional Kouros basenote. The result: a much lighter more modern Kouros that isnt cloying and still does not stray far from its heiritage. Great stuff.

robyogi's avatar

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a very intriguing scent. Right from the start it is somehow both entirely new and interesting, and completely familiar and boring. I've gone back and forth over whether it keeps my interest or not, and every time I have decided that it bores me, I get a whiff of something that pulls me back in. It's woodsy, earthy, sweet. It definitely has a strong note of hazelnut, in fact, on me the hazelnut is almost a dominant note. It does remind me of a forest, as many have pointed out. It's got an earthy sweetness to it, a little bit musky, but mostly earthy woods. I don't get the animal fur scent at all. Smelling this does bring to mind a fairy tale place where the big bad wolf would live...very cool effect. It's rich without being heavy or swampy. It's warm without being overly dark. I would even try this in the summer, though it seems better suited to the winter. The only downsides: it wears very close to my skin and does not last long at all.

robyogi's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

As many others have said, the topnotes on this one are very, very similar to Gucci PH. As it dries down however, a few hours in, it gets more of a powdery/soapy scent than Gucci PH. On me, it lasts longer than PH (though neither last all that long). Also, the basenotes in Gucci PH seem to have more caramel and burnt wood, whereas CDG 2 Man has a slightly more synthetic (probably intentionally synthetic) basenote scent. Someone said CDG Man 2 has a burnt plastic basenote...that might be it. Or maybe it's burnt treated lumber as opposed to PH's burnt cedar. I like it, just no need for it with PH in my collection. I like PH's clearer (read: non-soapy) dry down. PH is maybe classier, more "gentlemanly" whereas CDG is more urban, more hipster.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Lauren Style by Ralph Lauren

Notes include Kumquat, Lime, Tangerine, Bulgarian Rose, Nectarine Blossom, Orange Blossom, Violet Leaves, Gardenia, Jasmine, Tuberose, Hedione, Magnolia, Patchouli, Suede Note, Woods, Skin Musk 2000, Heliotrope, Benzoin and Vanilla.

Style's bottle is really cute and I love the girly pink of the perfume its self. Style smells good on my skin, but it doesn't last long at all. Plus, I don't find it as interesting in the dry down as it is when it's first spritzed on skin. Okay, but not interesting enough for a purchase of the full size.

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

Petite Cherie is a disappointment. I found it quite bitter. After applying this scent, I smelled like a extra dry vodka martini...not being a martini lover, I was totally put off. Would rather a margarita or glass of reisling.

This was my review, from a sample gone bad...I've since sampled a fresh bottle and find Petite Cherie to be a light, bright, fruity refresher! It is simple and youthful. Resonates at a high pitch. I still don't care to wear it, but am glad to have clarified my opinion.

01st March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Moschino Couture! by Moschino

This definitely has a fruity-peppery aura with a strong cedarwood base. Different! I don't care for it on myself, but on my daughter it's good.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Bulgari Black is an original - with a capital "O"! Black tea, wood notes and vanilla steam off of the sandalwood, amber, musky base. VERY SEXY! This scent is earthy and dry with a warm edgy feel. Not overpowering ~ strictly subtle. The bottle is also an original, and seems to be aimed more toward the men, although it has come to be known as a uni-sex fragrance. This is my favorite on my husband ~ I think he's on his fourth bottle! Undoubtedly worth a try!

Visormax's avatar

Magnetism by Escada

you want a delicious perfume, this is the one.
    Escada Magnetism is warm and floral at the same time. NO woman can resist it!

Visormax's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

BLV by Bulgari is fresh and elegant. just fantastic feelings will wrap you. the Ginger-Tobacco-Musk scaling combination is elegant.

bonni's avatar

Wish by Chopard

Tried this one because I got it in a package of mini perfumes. I would never have bought it on my own, mostly because the smell in the bottle is absolutely not to my taste at ALL.

The top notes are exceptionally sweet, very fruity, a bit like berries in syrup but (as someone else has noted) something like cough syrup.

The middle notes seem very.... bland to me. It's not a bland perfume, but the middle notes are very ordinary and almost predictible. I almost wish there was something a bit more spicy there, anything other than "more sweet stuff", and I've noticing that as the top notes ease off, there's a very, VERY sweet edge that smells for all the world like fairy floss (cotton candy).

The base notes are also sweet, the toffee fragrance is quite noticible on me, but at least the base isn't quite as sweet as the rest of the concoction (still too sweet, though).

Basically, this fragrace seems to be a sweet course for appetisers, a sweet course for main, and a sweet course for dessert, with no break at all in the sticky sweet, almost sugary confection notes.

If you actually like sweet on sweet on sweet, you may like this (there's no accounting for taste, including mine), but I'm glad I didn't buy this in a bigger bottle, and I'm going to have to see about offloading the bottle I do have onto someone who can appreciate it. I'm never going to wear this one again, I can guarantee it. Definitely NOT to my taste at ALL.

BrothaG's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I obtained a sample of this at the Hermes boutique and was pretty stunned. It reminds me of something I can't place. It really has that 'rough' sweetness yet with a 'light' touch to it, totally fits the description. Very earthy but not at all intoxicating, it was very 'lightly sweet' during my wearing. Absolutely pleasant and a great piece of art.

Shycat's avatar

Kai by Kai

I find the Kai perfume oil to be a delightful, fresh, green gardenia scent. It's the only perfume oil I own. but I suppose I'll try more now. It manages to be smellable, with a bit of sillage at first, yet not cloying like almost every other gardenia I have ever tried. Then it sinks into my skin so softly. I don't think what a lovely fragrance, I think WOW my skin smells awesome! Perhaps because of the green notes, I don't get a perfumey note at all, just fresh, moist, and beautiful. I sniff my wrist throughout the day and the scent is always fresh and alive, as though I had the actual potted plant sitting on my desk, with blooms constantly producing fresh oils just for me! It makes me smile, and I can buy it in a tiny bottle and carry it in my pocket.
    What a concept!!!

Cofthe3's avatar

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

Absolutely repulsive. The lemon and 'masculine' elements repel each other. Ewww.

flee's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Its a nice scent. Flowers and orange in it. A summer scent and one that a female should not wear regularly imo.

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

I have no idea why this particular scent would have the Latin name of the Greek epic hero. It is not heroic and it certainly isn’t epic. The citrus / floral opening is its best thing going on: It is clean, sweet, and bright. I don’t smell the nutmeg in the center, but the florals come through strongly—if a little muddled. The base dries down to a powdery sweet musk. It doesn’t last long on my skin, and the whole movement seems rather feminine: Is this a fragrance for the blinder of Cyclopes? Hardly! Had Ulysses worn this, Calypso wouldn’t have given him a second sniff, and Penelope?—well, she wouldn’t have spent her nights unraveling.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

When this fragrance first came out, I bought it and enjoyed it for a while. Within one month, the 90% full bottle was already in my bottom drawer with the rest of the scents I no longer wished to wear. The opening floral accord is pleasant and synthetic. This particular synthetic note is one that I find more interesting than annoying at first, but it hangs on and on with little amelioration. The longer it’s there, the more annoying it becomes because of an unpleasant greenish note in it. As for the rest of the fragrance: I don’t see Un Jardin en Méditerranée as either “garden” or “Mediterranean” — I lose any citrus notes within a few minutes, and the artificial floral notes overwhelm. To my nose there really is not much more to the fragrance than those inferior floral renditions. This is one of those fragrances that give me that plastic taste in my mouth when I am exposed to it for longer than a half hour. It dries down into a fig / wood base that is uninspiring and has rather poor longevity.

02 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2008)

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I was expecting a lot from B*men because it is by Thierry Mugler; I found it didn’t deliver as much as I would have liked, but it is still a very good fragrance. The Rhubarb note that opens B*men is nice — rhubarb is such an excellent note that should be used more IMO. The slight note of chocolate that hovers in the background centers the scent and provides suggestions of its relationship to A*men. With the chocolate and the rhubarb, the famous A*men top notes are both expanded and diminished. I find it interesting how the rhubarb replaces the lavender of A*men — hard to believe, but rhubarb actually makes a safer, less pushy fragrance. The top notes hold on for a very long time — well into the middle notes. The conifer notes with the spices are nice, but the combination does not meet the criteria established by the opening — or else the purpose is to almost completely reduce the gourmand-ness of B*man. Then again, the rhubarb and chocolate and vanilla of the top notes have already lasted through most of the mid level. The aspect that I loved most about A*men was its drydown. I can’t make the same statement for B*men. It wimps out — I don’t think the amber / vetiver combination is intense or deep enough to complete the progression of the scent. But then, I don’t suppose it would it would have been acceptable to put A*men’s drydown on B*men — it would make them too similar. I have come to like this scent — I doubt that I will ever love it, but it’s a very good scent.

02 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2008)

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

Wonderful casual semi-spicy/woody aroma that is great for any occasion, day or night and has some good longevity. It smells very original, sensual, elegant, fresh, warm, sweet yet masculine, just so complex and refined. Seriously though I love the sweet scent of the drydown on my skin and make me feel good, smells damn good! Another good thing is that there's nothing out there that really resembles its scent. I also love Miracle L'Aquatonic. In fact I love it even more, but so far I've only seen it in 4.2 oz bottles, so it's a bit pricey. This is not a party boy scent. If you want to go to a club and pick up 18 year olds chicks with this don't bother. This fragrance is better recommended for males in early 30's or late 20's. Overall, Miracle Homme it's a very nice fragrance and highly recommended to true gentlemen only!