Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

The cardamom middle notes really make this fragrance stand out. The vetiver basenote is well balanced (not too earthy) and there is a certain spicy quality to it that I can't quite place. When I smell it on others, (or on clothes) I find it original and pleasant, but on my own skin it seems to have a different personality.

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

Nautica Competition is the most surprising frangrance in my collection. Surprising because it is so inexpensive, but well balanced. I bought it initially as a travel or extra fragrance when I didn't want to use my more unique (read expensive) ones, but now find that I end up choosing it fairly often. I think the bergamot topnote and the sandalwood basenote are classic and simple, and there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

This fragrance reminds me a little of Issey Miyake's Bleu (maybe it's the creamy quality it possesses...) but more subtle and refined. Although I probably wouldn't appreciate this on someone else, the fact that it wears close to the skin makes it a plus in my opinion. I also find that the woodish/patchouli basenotes are neither overly masculine nor feminine.

kewart's avatar

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

This lovely fragrance comes in a beautiful bottle shaped like a roman column and is a tribute to Laura Biagiotti's home town of Rome.
    It begins with uplifting notes of mint, bergamot and blackcurrant bud which are soon joined by floral notes (Lily of the valley, Jasmine, Rose)
    before mingling with a definite note of balsam (reminiscent of the hills behind the city). Base notes include patchouli, musk and sandalwood. The sillage is excellent and this perfume will get you loads of compliments. Not everybody will be wearing it either, despite it's reasonable price.

newtrane's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This fragrance is definitely a classic. It is not suitable for young consumers, because of its refined quality which can only be understood with time.

pokerface's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

You know, this sure does remind me of Millesime Imperial by Creed. Nice splash of freshness. About as long lasting as Millesime Imperial too....that being almost nothing to even comment about. But if you like the Creed, you might like this one for les $$$.

Renaissance_Man's avatar

Paco by Paco Rabanne

I received this as a gift when it was first launched so I did use it. I would never buy this type of a fragrance myself and would never wear it again. Whether it's considered a rip off of CKone or not doesn't matter. Both (and all their "fresh" and unisex clones) are generic and uninspired.

shij421's avatar

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Absolute fav of mine! VERY long lasting, not to mention an Awesome! scent.. I also have Cool Water Frozen, Allure Sport, SA Altitude, and M7. XS is no doubt my favorite, very unique. Gotta try it

Somedude's avatar

Lomani by Lomani

If you are (extremely)low on cash, this should be fine. Not too bad, but seems pretty plain.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

When first applied Addict I was immediately overpowered by acidy musk and by brassy incense. An instant painful sinus headache plagued me the rest of the morning.

Many people swear by Addict EDP, but I think it smells like that cheap Opium air freshener that graces the dollar store shelves. Addict is quite sharp and heady IMO.

After drydown Addict softened quite a bit. Still Addict has that dusty, musty incense note that I just cannot take. On the plus side if you like this, it lasts a long time on the skin

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Eau des Merveilles on me is faint peppery orange and an overload on the veviter! To me I think veviter and citrus mixes to become a bit sour and very manly. In my opinion this would smell much better as a man's cologne. VERY MASCULINE is how I'd describe Eau des Merveilles. I do give Eau des Merveilles credit for unbelieveable lasting power and the beautiful unique bottle it comes in. Tho, sadly this is the first Hermes' scent that I've disliked and won't be purchasing!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Fleurs de Bulgarie (new) by Creed

Creed is one fragrance house I've not had any luck with. I WANT TO find a great Creed scent for myself but my search must continue...Fleurs de Bulgarie begins with the most incredibly authentic bularian rose note but it quickly fades, becoming acidic and causing gag reflex. Just to make sure it wasn't me, I asked my daughter to take a whiff of my wrist and she said ~ "EWWWWWWWWW, what is that? It's disgusting!" Sorry.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Armani Mania for Women by Giorgio Armani

The review by RoseAmber hits this fragrance square on! My daughter has worn it throughout the winter, and it's just terrific on her...not cloying or heavy at all. The warm woodsiness lasts. The bottle is very plain - streamlined - but should compliment any type of decor!

zenpiper's avatar

Havana by Aramis

This is a great fragrance, though the opening reminds me of Herrera (of which I am not fond). But then it becomes a wonderful, elegant experience. To me, this is a formal or semi-formal fragrance, or maybe for the office or an important meeting. Not to wear to the grocery store. Oh wait. Anyhow, it's one of the best I ever experienced. The noses at Lauder (who also make Aramis and Tuscany) have some savvy and sense. Too bad this is discontinued, but, as we know, that happens all too frequently with things we cherish.

abimanyu's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Heady,sweet to the point of stuffiness. Smells exactly like Lacoste PH albeit with a much better dry down. Too stuffy for tropical,hot and humid climates. Now, where is my Kouros?

abimanyu's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Bracing,Uplifting,Refreshing akin to walking across a field of cut lemon field! This scent takes you to places, perhaps innocent days gone by?

Alice49's avatar

Fleurs de Citronnier by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

While this might not be the most interesting fragrance in this line, it is one that I keep sampling. This may well be my first, and perhaps only, SL bottle purchase.

bonni's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Husband tried this one on a whim as we passed through the perfume section of a big department store.

It's nice. The citrus opening notes are extremely pleasant but all too fleeting, and after that it turns into a light, boring, smells-like-everyone type of fragrance.

It's okay, but only okay. We'll pass.

bonni's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

This is a very beautifully designed musk which starts out strong and then develops into a nice, lingering, creamy, soft, sensual scent. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes musk-based fragrances, as this is a really good one.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

Beautiful fragrance. A definite favourite, I'd say it was happiness in a bottle because whenever I wear it I feel uplifted and mellow at the same time. One note 'mood' fragrances don't do it for me, I much prefer a fragrance with layers and depth and this is one of the best. Serene but with a bit of fizz, gorgeous!

Ghost Serenity by Ghost

Bought this on a whim, never a good idea for me.
    Notes of bergamot, peony, lily of the valley. Too strong with the lily this fragrance is powdery and dare I say it, 'old ladyish' to my 'not so young' nose! I guess I don't like it then!

Montana Parfum de Peau by Montana

Funnily enough like the previous reviewer of this fragrance I was an art student too in the mid eighties when I fell totally for Montana parfum de peau. I loved everything about it: fragrance, packaging, the advertising campaign and the fact that it was from the Montana design house. To me, then, this was the perfect scent - unique, sophisticated , not at all 'girly', a statement frag for sure which was at its best when worn with leather. I hadn't worn Montana for many years when I recently bought a new bottle to see if I still liked it. The current frag suffers from a distinct lack of the original fruity (most notably peach) and floral notes which lifted this perfume and made it so special. Now there is the barest trace of the original scent which I am pretty sure is down to the fact that some of the original ingredients are missing. Oh well, the bottle still looks wonderful!!! Thumbs up are for the original and the memories!!!

Antaeus by Chanel

I first bought Antaeus for my husband about ten years ago. I wanted to buy him a Chanel and this was my favourite because it had a beautiful sweetness to it but was still a totally masculine scent. Fortunately he loved it then and still wears it today. Trends in fragrance have changed and there are other fragrances that hubby wears too but I will make sure he always has a bottle of this classic in his collection!

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

There is just something about this fragrance that is incredibly sexy. It is very light yet grounded too. To be perfectly honest I find it difficult to pick out any one note so I think it must be the blend which makes this fragrance so attractive. A relaxed fragrance for creative types I would guess.

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

Thumbs down from me too I'm afraid. Received this as a gift at Christmas but I will never wear it. Watery, bland, and insipid are words which come to mind for Provocative Woman. Creating a great fragrance was obviously not a priority but the clue was in the name - it's a stinker.

Cherish by Ghost

I liked this one straight away - thought at last I had succeeded in my quest for a light, fresh, floral scent which would a)suit me and b)not bore me after a few wears. Strongest notes I get are freesia, grapefruit and violet.These do not change in the dry down which is o.k but after a few weeks I did get bored with Cherish. Actually I think one of the 'Vaseline' deodorant sprays is very similar to this scent. Oh well, the search for a floral goes on!

Choco's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

It's too light and really lack of longervity. I recomend guerlain's Vetiver instead.

eidolon's avatar

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Starts out with an extremely harsh and strong pepper that is overwhelming to my nose. After that it dries down to a warmer pepper with a hint of vanilla.

Best of Chevignon by Chevignon

The Best of Chevignon is a very pleasant scent. It begins with an agreeable citrus / ozonic accord—light, smooth, youthfully attractive. The middle continues the citrus theme with the addition of an attractive bourbon geranium note to enrich the heart. Even this heart of the scent is refreshing and clean, although it is a little bland. Somewhere between the mid notes and the base, the scent turns a little soapy. The base is wood, wood, and more wood—but this is not a heavy base—it is actually quite light and comfortable. Again, the airiness and clarity of the scent predominates. This is a good scent for someone who wants an enjoyable and long-lasting citrus with a light wood base. I agree with Russlan that it is quite youthful and is actually a unisex fragrance.

12 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

A beautifully smooth and elegant fragrance — from its beginning it speaks of sophisticated Mediterranean culture and passion. It opens with a citrus blast which very quickly morphs to a complex citrus / herbal / aldehydic / wood accord: As complex as the opening accord is, it is so smoothly balanced with rosewood, verbena, and citrus notes… the whole augmented by a judicious use of aldehydes. It’s balanced, bitter-sweet, rich, a bit retro, and fulfilling. This opening has excellent lasting ability and it’s difficult for me to identify the movement to the floral / spicy middle, where I get a floral, masculine geranium and the cool spices of clove or allspice (I can’t really tell the difference between the two spices). The floral / spicy mid notes slowly transition into an ambery / woody / mossy base where, every once in a while an excellent civet note shows up with an elementally sensual addition to the accord. The base accord is only a bit retro but much less retro than many of the fragrances for Romeo Gigli’s per Uomo’s 1991 era. This is a sensual, classically constructed Oriental with dynamic Mediterranean accords, somewhat strong sillage (easily controlled through thoughtful application), and good longevity… Traditional elegant, and sensual masculinity at its best. (Edit of 12 March 2006 review.)

12 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2010)