Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain

Opens with a burst of citrus with the lime taking prominence. It’s very refreshing—fresher even than regular Vetiver. The middle is a pleasant combination of pepper and neroli, and the vetiver steps in along with the tonka for the dry down. There is a soapy-powdery feel to this fragrance. Guerlain Vetiver Frozen certainly sparkles with freshness. A thoroughly pleasant fragrance, but its longevity leaves a lot to be desired—two hours at the most on my skin.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

The “bleue” word turned me off, so I delayed trying it for a year and a half. I was pleasantly surprised when I tested it. This is an excellent fragrance! It has a strong aromatic (with touch of wood) opening which holds solid for a good while. Then an unusual floral / spicy middle eases the scent to more typical potencies while still maintaining a firm grip on “edgy.” I think the highlight of the heart notes is the nasturtium. (I’ve always liked the peppery smell [and taste] of this plant and flower.) Nasturtium moves this scent a little toward vegetable gourmandism. When the middle florals finally settle down, the base—a light, sweet, warm amber / wood / moss emerges, and holds on for a very respectable length of time. I’m impressed.

Krysia's avatar

Hiris by Hermès

Hiris does indeed work for women. It is a "sweet and sour" fragrance. The hay note adds an unusual dimension to the orange (neroli) I think and makes for a nicely sour aspect. The vanilla, almond and orris are sweet but don't become cloying. The rose seems to weave the sweet and sour together as it is neither. Hiris is "sweet and sour" with a beautiful powdery drydown that still has a whisper of the sour. I don't wear it everyday but when I do I find it unique. I do not like overly sweet and syrupy fragrances and Hiris avoids that.

MuZI's avatar

Very Sexy for Him 2 by Victoria's Secret

It smells very nice but only lasts for about 3-5 minutes on me.

newtrane's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Eva by Santa Maria Novella

This is an amazing unisex fragrance. Balance of citrus top notes and earthy undertones. Clean, elegant bergamot and lemon create a lively freshness, while woodsy pepper and cedar evoke a musky sensuality. This is an incredible fragrance that is just springtime in a bottle.

plumeria's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Light, lilting, lemony and lovely. This is one of the very rare fragrances that has been a repeat buy for me. Once in a while I get tired of it, but I know this is one that I will come back to again and again. To me it's refreshing and relaxing, even though that sounds like a contradiction. The body creme is just amazing, but so expensive. I had received a nice sized sample of it and of course now I want to buy a tube. I also want to try the EDP at some point. Maybe in the future, but at the moment I have plenty of the EDT on hand and too many other fragrances to justify such extravagant purchases. I guess it's a pretty simple fragrance, but that's one of the reasons I like it. The citrus notes stay after the drydown, but is joined by light woods that give it a refined quality. I feel comfortable wearing this anywhere. It's great for the office, for a leisurely stroll outdoors, for meeting friends for dinner, and for countless other occasions.

Renaissance_Man's avatar

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Absolutely agree that it's very similar to Clinique's AE, perhaps not as sharp. 900 is dry yet has a hint of florals. It has a soft feminie quality to it which I'm somehow comfortable with. The citrus note stays fresh and carries down to the base without being "lemon pledgy." There, it works great with the vetiver. I don't get much of the moss or the patchouli--a good thing for me. This is a great herbal/dry/earthy fragrance. It would work well in any weather but if you want to feel clean, fresh and dry in hot weather, this is it!

Renaissance_Man's avatar

Devin by Aramis

I find this one to be quite understated for a fragarance with a leathery base. It is somewhat dry and earthy herbal/green plus a softness that I find almost feminine (but which I'm comfortable with!). In that respect, some elements here remind me of Aramis 900--also a favorite of mine. Unlike many scents, this would be good for any weather. After years, I've gone back to it and I'm enjoying it in cold rainy weather. And because the warmer notes aren't so dominant, I know that I'll easily enjoy its other facets during the summer months. Devin is elegant and classsy yet casual enough. Not something you smell on every other person. Also, I have always found this scent to be similar to Caron's Yatagan, except CY is bolder and sharper with more animal notes in it. You will not offend others with this one.

scentemental's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

*Kouros*, is named after, and the bottle is model on, a specific kind of statue that began to appear in ancient Greece and was the original form on which all subsequent forms of classical Greek sculpture took as a point of departure. The kouroi appeared out of nowhere, a development in the plastic arts that could have never been anticipated from what came before. *Kouros* is exactly like its sculptured namesake, a monument of originality, coming out of nowhere, and, like the Kouros itself, it strides determindedly forward, muscular, unapologetic, unyielding, a force to be reckoned with. If ever there was a more aptly, thoughtfully named fragrance, I’d like to know.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

This review if for the Alyssa Ashley Musk perfume oil: I received this as an extra in a fragrance swap. Musk isn't anything I would purchase for myself as musks and I usually don't get along well. This musk was a pleasant surprise. I was surprised that this musk is quite lively with lots of personality. It's very clean, crisp and comfortable. It's what I'd call a skin but, better scent. Yet AA has a sensual edge. Think freshly showered and wrapped in a lush terry robe. I wouldn't purchase this but AA is excellent for a musk. I'm sure this would be great for layering over a softer floral too. Very nice sillage too.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Osmanthus by Keiko Mecheri

This is soft and unoffense, but totally uninteresting and without depth (at least on my skin). If you have the right chemistry is might be lovely. The lasting power is nil too. Next!

Tovah's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The is The Perfect Honey-Tobacco-Incense-Amber fragrance. It knocks Luctor et Emergo and Ginestet Botrytis off the top of this category's list for me, and I've both of these for several years. Chergui is sweet, rich, warm, woodsy, and, best of all, slightly mysterious. It has a lot of character and many moods. It'sfascinating, and a masterpiece, in my opinion!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein takes alot of flack regarding their fragrances, and I'm certainly not one of their biggest fans...BUT...I do like Euphoria. The name doesn't click for me. I think it should have been called 'Angel Obsession'! Why you ask? Simply because it has the very best notes from Mugler's Angel and Klein's Obsession blended together in this single fragrance. At first spritz it's totally Angel. During drydown it morphs into a 21st century Obsession. I really like this one! With such mixed reviews, you need to try Euphoria for yourself.

universalperfumes's avatar

Burberry London by Burberry

Got in the new Burberry London. Packaging is really good and a very nice modern twist to the classic London fragrance. Felt just a tad slight bit fresher with some sort of citrusy fruity slant on the top but still maintains that delicious warmth from the orignal London. Impressed.

universalperfumes's avatar

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

Just got in some Armani Code for Ladies. Don't think its launched in US Markets yet but we have stock on it nevertheless. Really impressed with the fragrance. Hit me up for info if you would like a bottle: 212-696-0341. www.almayaperfumes.com

Fuel for Men / DK Men by Donna Karan

Kapow! It hits you right in the nose. This is a man’s scent— powerful and virile. Leather and tobacco, you say—Bring ‘em on. Yes, and throw some gasoline in it, while you’re at it.
    When it hits, you know you’ve been hit. You can’t doubt what it’s about: It’s about pride and testosterone. And it’s about ease and confidence.

Not that there’s mega-sillage—there isn’t. Not that there’s all bare knuckles fist fighting—there’s some of the softer side in there, too. What there is, is attitude. Addictive attitude. Attitude laid on so thick it’s impossible to doubt…

Almonds, pineapple, you say? Bring ‘em on...

12th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 07th December, 2010)

Sand & Sable by Coty

I loved this when I was younger - such an intensely feminine fragrance. And then, one day, I realized something: it smells like Spic & Span cleaner! Oh, no! Now I can't enjoy it anymore.

Aqua Allegoria Ylang & Vanille by Guerlain

It is ylang, and it is a warm-ish vanilla. Pleasant to wear, feels comfortable all day and is polite enough not to overpower you, but there's not a single thing about it that's breaking new ground.

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum by Paloma Picasso

Rich Old Lady, eh? :) Well, I've loved this scent since I was in my early twenties. I get what you mean, though. Paloma Picasso, Fendi and Raffinee are the scents that I want to wear when I'm donning Great-Grandmother's old crocheted lace collars with a fitted velvet skirt. Formal and put-together, a real wardrobe fragrance rather than a mood fragrance. I love them, they smell like old money, good breeding and class to me.

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

I felt that the mint overpowered the other notes. I have this strange obsession with the Aqua Allegoria fragrances, I seem to be compelled to try them all even though most of them so far have missed the mark.

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

I really enjoy Pamplelune, and there seems to be an almost animalic hint somewhere in there...matter of fact, the drydown reminds me quite a lot of the scent of my pet bird's feathers. That said, a few of my friends visibly flinched when encountering the sharp, completely un-sweet grapefruit topnotes of Pamplelune and disliked it immediately, so wear with caution...or at least, be prepared to have a mixed reception.

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain

Pine Trees! But then, finally, far into the drydown is a wonderful warm, sweet vanilla with a touch of resinous sparkle. I like this better on my husband than on myself, and I'm also fond of it as a room fragrance. One spray in a water-filled simmer pot lasts all day. In other words, it's an enjoyable scent, but not something I want on my person. What *is* this obsession with the Allegorias that I seem to have? It's like a sickness.

Aoud Damascus by Montale

I have a small bottle of pure Bulgarian rose oil, and a bottle of Aoud Damascus. Both of them are the epitome of what is beautiful about a rose, to me. There is such depth, from the first hint of crushed green leaves all the way to the lightly waxy, honeylike but clean ending. They just transport me. with the Aoud Damascus, the difference is that where the Bulgarian rose oil eventually fades away to nothing, the Montale scent just gives and gives. I can't keep my nose away from my wrist, and I cannot stop the reflexive utterings of "Mmmm!" every time my nose catches a whiff of it. This will undoubtedly be my first Montale full-bottle purchase. Or perhaps it should go on the birthday list...

Powder Flowers by Montale

Okay, I take it back: upon further review, I really like this one. It grew on me. Sure, it's powder...but compared to so many other powder essences out there, this is really, really high quality. It lasts and lasts, and it has a skin-warmth to it, a sensuality and a sleekness that keep it mature and inviting, instead of just "scrubbed and powdered" like many. The more I smell it, the more I'm reminded of a higher-quality rendition of Pavi Elle, an old fragrance by Avon. Very similar, but kicked up a few notches. I thought that Aoud Damascus was my favorite Montale at first, but my mind is beginning to change.

13th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 19th March, 2006)

bonni's avatar

Still by Jennifer Lopez

Nice. Not remarkable, not fantastic, but a nice, sweetish floral. Nothing about it makes me want to own it, but I can see that some folks would quite like it. It's pleasant enough. Perhaps on some women it's fabulous (perhaps on JLo, herself, who know?)

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

Except for a little mandarin in the topnotes and touch synthetic honeysuckle, it's all warm and delicious. Hot is a gourmand but, like in Un Bois Vanille, the sweetness is balanced with drier, somewhat powdery, woody notes. Like all Ralph Lauren creations it's still very wearable, there is nothing heavy about Hot.
    The best in all of the Ralphs series.

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Anucci Man by Anucci

Anucci for Men is definitely different if you are looking for something unique for yourself. You notice how all guy colognes smell the same after a while? Well, this is different and it is also my favorite floral fragrance. It's subtle enough that people's noses won't fall off, and if you are trying to impress those ladies... you've just found your magic potion. A great smelling fragrance that's unique, luxurious, clean, sophisticated and can be worn anytime of day to give you that finishing touch. Very sweet and long lasting all day at least 12 hrs. This fabulous fragrance is bursting with sweet floral notes and it's the best among floral-type colognes I've ever smelled. Worth every penny of its small price and one of the best if not THE BEST men's floral fragrance out there. Super sexy and sensual smell that will put me in the mood all the time and every man should try this smell out. If you're tired of usual, heavy "Drakkar-like" fragrances, you'll really appreciate the uniqueness of Anucci; a classic floral cologne that also blows away the overrated, nauseating and overwhelming L'Eau D' Issey.

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Capucci pour Homme by Roberto Capucci

If you like Dior's EAU SAUVAGE, you will like this CAPUCCI for Men! It's a very similar scent. A clean and spicy lemon-scent for men. Long-lasting and "old-fashioned" in a very nice way.

greyhueofdoubt's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

This could be a very clean, fresh scent if it had less of a fruity beginning. After the initial blast of apples and melon, it settles down into the more mellow sandalwood notes mixed with patchouli/musk. It's not a fragrance that will get compliments often, as it stays close to the skin (nice way of saying that it doesn't last long); however, I would wear this if I needed an inoffensive, inconspicuous fragrance for indoor events.
    I find that the sandalwood and apple notes combine to create a subtle licorice/anise alloy that is very nice, but no one will notice but the person wearing it.

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

First of all I'ld like to say this perfume bottle is the most original and one of the most beautiful out there.

When I first sniffed Angel, it didn't strike me as being anything fantastic, though I could appreicate how others had come to admire it. The top notes were a fine blend of spices, Bergamot, patchouli and other notes which give Angel it's rich and complex top layer aroma. But this kind of scent wasn't quite my taste.

But when I sniffed this a few hours ago the middle and base notes came out and WOW! This perfume has thee most delicous chocolate note I've ever smelt. It genuinely does make me want to eat chocolate and it seems to last for days (2 and a half so far). The lasting power is great and it would look beautiful on any dressing table.

But in spite all this I'ld only get a mini or sample because it's expensive, it's also commonly worn and this one is also bad for my diet. ;)