Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

John's avatar

Candie's Men by Candie's

I received a compliment from this literally a minute after I applied it, and I have received plenty more since that time. While I personally like it, anyone I come in contact with absolutely loves it. It requires some reserve as to where it can be worn, so that has been the only drawback, but it is perfect for casual encounters - especially in the heat. Very likable, good longevity, and plenty of projecting sillage make this my Claiborne. Excellent!

MarkDavid's avatar

Pal Zileri Classic by Pal Zileri

Terribly generic. Nothing that makes it stand apart. It's certainly pleasant enough, but not what I'm after in a fragrance.

MarkDavid's avatar

Dia Man by Amouage

More so than even Gold, this is the one fragrance that makes me feel like a king. Gold is nice too, but this one is really bang on what I want in a fragrance.

Adolfo Dominguez by Adolfo Dominguez

Woody base! Reminds a little of JF of Floris

Elite by Floris

Perfect fresh fragrance of green things like lemon/veyver/bergamot ... and and and...!

Not one of this hectoliter-fragrances!

Town & Country by Crown Perfumery

I will say: a look-a-like of "Blenheim Bouquet" by Penhaligo's

ramin's avatar

Apparition Homme by Ungaro

I expected more from ungaro. This is a scent which does not leave an impression and has little charactor of its own. Yhe woman's version was a great scent but this one is forgettable.

ramin's avatar

Gigli Man by Romeo Gigli

A light and wonderful fragrance. I have not smelled anything quite like it and yet it smells so simple. The word to describe it is wonderfully uplifting and yet subtle.

robyogi's avatar

Xeryus by Givenchy

Xeryus starts off okay for me - smells like a lot of other fragrances out there (or maybe they smell like Xeryus, since this is 20 years old now), which leads me to agree that it's "in the middle." It smells pleasant enough in the beginning, then it dries down to very dry and faint woodsy scent on me. I don't get amber at all. It disappears rather quickly too. Finally, there is something about it that irritates my eyes, so I don't feel I can be completely fair in my evaluation. All-in-all it's nothing special and even without the slight allergy to one of its components, I doubt I would find occasion to wear it often.

shifts's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Mystery of Agatha by Agatha Brown

There is a decayed grass feeling about this one, a bit like wet hay. That accord feels pretty unique too me, can't really pinpoint it down at all. I sure haven't made up my mind about this one, but I find it intruiging and that is always a positive thing.

Tender Touch by Burberry

Well, I've yet to find a Burberry fragrance that I like. Tender Touch is better than the rest of the Burberry line I've tried, but it really is very light and nondescript. Smells like a zillion other light watery florals. Very boring (to me anyway).

273 Rodeo Drive by Fred Hayman

Wow, is this stuff heady! I would like it better, but this gives me a horrible headache. I don't know what flower it is perhaps, tuberose, in this that I'm allergic to? Wish I wasn't allergic to this one.

Connexion by Lancôme

No offense, but Connexion was so sweet & heady on me that it was actually gag-inducing. Similar to those candy hearts you get on Valentines day mixed with pure maple syrup. Yuck!

Spark Seduction for Women by Liz Claiborne

Spark Seduction is very chemical and synthetic smelling. I can't smell any floral notes in this. It's supposed to have magnolia and tuberose. Not even a hint of the sweetness of the original Spark. This really reminds me of oven cleaner or Aqua Net hairspray. Upon drydown just more of the same synthetic stench.

Par Amour Toujours by Clarins

On me Par Amour smells like rosy cotton candy in the heat. I'm envious of what other reviewers said it smells like on them. Due to my experience, I'd never buy this. It's way too syrupy and sweet.

Nude by Bill Blass

Ladylonestar and calchic have both written accurate reviews of this underrated treasure. This scent somehow reminds me of YSL's Rive Gauche ~ probably the aldehydes ~ although the drydown is just ever so slightly sweet and very crisp. VERY fresh and clean. The staying power is incredible as well. Mossy but not green. I wore this for many years. Close friends and family members thought 'I just always smelled nice'. (As if my own chemistry could smell so good!!!) They never new it was NUDE until I switched fragrances!!! Suddenly they said 'you smell different...' My point being: Nude is a potion that compliments one's own personal chemistry. It is sort of "all American" in the clean & fresh genre. If you have the opportunity to try this one, please do.

No. 5 by Chanel

This masterpiece has had so much written about it over the years...I can only add that I love it. Chanel made a Number 5 Voile in the early 90's that was so light and lovely - especially for the summers' heat - I wish it was still available. Everyone should experience the 'Number 5' legend for themselves!

J'Adore by Christian Dior

This fragrance leaves me flat...nothing special here. Begining Middle and End ~ Blah Blah Blah. There are many other scents with distinct personalities, Ja'dore is mediocre at best.

Wild Musk by Coty

Coty Wild Musk is IMO the nicest musk available! It is warm and ever so slightly sweet. I find Jovan's musk to turn 'a little gamey' on me, but Coty's stays soft and sexy! Next time you're in the drugstore, check your pockets for some loose bills and give this musk a go - it's an inexpensive but unbeatable retro treat!

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Light Blue by D & G is definitely a citrus-cedar scent. I can't believe it's not marketed as unisex - as I would much prefer this fragrance on my husband! The lemony top notes drydown to a lovely cedarwood base. Not heavy in any way. The name for this one is very appropriate!

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I can only describe this fragrance as:

Dr. Scholls Footpowder

Sorry.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

Tresor is truly one of my most favorite perfumes of all time. In an interview with Sophia Grojsman (the nose behind this treasure) she mentions her main idea/notes of Tresor as being Rose and Apricot; which is quite obvious at first sniff of this juice. The rose is somewhat spicy as well as silky, like rose petals. The apricot sweet & a bit musky, creating the essence of Tresor which remains throughout the entire evolution of this fragrance. What's in the middle is not readily obvious, but essential to the magnificent progression and drydown. Muguet, or Lily of The Valley, lends a palate cleansing quality to this blend. The touch of green imparted by this delicate flower is ever so slight, but a key element in the balancing act. Lilac of course is a highly sweet floral, which I believe adds the 'kick it up a notch' sweetness - moreso than the gerneralized 'peach note' I've read so many reviewers comment about. Apricot Blossom ~ now here's an element contributing to that sparkling quality! Along with lovely Heliotrope and powdery Iris, this triple treat actually carbonates Tresor. For me, it's like champagne bubbles! Without that signature sparkling effervesence Tresor would be nothing more than plain old kool-aid.

Sillage & longevity of Tresor are remarkable. The tenacity of this composition, and the prolonged drydown are utterly and captivatingly sensual. Romantic, in an emotional manner. Not the emotions of adolesence though...more worldly and experienced. When you finally get to the roots of this blend, you'll be rewarded with a close wearing, sexy finish. The base is simply the most gorgeous blend of Amber, Musk, Sandalwood and Vanilla I've ever experienced. As CALCHIC wrote; the drydown of my dreams! So true!

13 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2007)

Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

Curve for women is very consumer popular and it is sold almost everywhere! I'm not one to 'poo-poo' any scent ~ even the most mass marketed drugstore brands! So, I tried it. Curve (on me) smells like windex. I've admired it on a friend, but on me it's not the same. When I read the list of fragrance notes I was very suprised; as I don't detect any complexity or much harmonic blending in this scent. On a more positive note - I also tried "Curve Crush" and LOVED IT! Crush has a very dominant lavender/vanilla note that I find very lovely! Claiborne has created several versions/spin-offs of Curve - Including a scent for the men - there might be one just right for you, basically inexpensive, so go ahead and try them! {By the way, Claiborne's packaging is so 1990's, and the script on the bottle is catchy!}

Diva by Ungaro

Thank you Calchic ~ your reviews are always premium quality! The only things I can add are: The staying power of Diva is excellent and the packaging is simply elegant!

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

This scent is sooooo dry, whenever I smell it, I need a big glass of water!

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

This 'treatment fragrance' is refreshing. The patchouli base is slight - only enough to bind the citrus and herbs together. I've found it matures differently on me depending on the weather - sometimes the green essenses win out over the citrus and vice versa - but I've never found it offensive in any way. Very much a unisex product. * I've tried the shower gel and don't care for it much.

JHL by Aramis

JHL is one of my all time favorites ~ Any man interested in wearing a floral frag, or interested in a note of cinnamon, JHL is it! I interpret it as the male version of Cinnabar.

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Whenever I've smelled this scent, on anyone, it has always been overbearing! Just being near someone wearing it leaves me with the smell & taste of this wretched cologne for hours. Hideous!

zenpiper's avatar

Signoricci 2 by Nina Ricci

This is really amazingly good, and unlike the Signoricci I have. There is a warmth and complexity here that just draws one in and I get something different each time, always terrific. It has a raffish formality; playful and yet refined. Oh boy!

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

A very light, simple white floral with negligible staying power and sillage. The reason why it intrigues me enough to give it shelf space is that every time I smell it, my nose expects to find coconut there - but never does. Why is this? No idea, but it's a neat enough trick for me to keep it there for an occasional sniff.

14 March, 2006