Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

True Love by Elizabeth Arden

Hmm. Smells very tart and fruity to me, sweet-sour, tangy peach and raspberry. Something cool and water-like hiding beneath, and a not-too-warm, gently woody base. Overall a light scent, and yeah, young-ish. A good scent for a light mood.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

The aldehydes come out slightly soapy on me, and I adore the citrus-peach in the top - so bright and sunny. Overall a very clean, optimistic fragrance and I wore it faithfully through two consecutive whole bottles, an extraordinary level of devotion for me. :) I started smelling it on a lot of old women, though, and since I was so young I distanced myself from anything that appealed to the old. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Fendi (original) by Fendi

One of my all-time favorite scents. It feels "just right" to me, in the Goldilocks sense. When I wear it, I feel well put together and confident and totally at home.

Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica by Guerlain

At first, I was thinking "Where's the rose?" All I could smell was a burst of green. In about ten minutes the green settled down and virtually disappeared, leaving a pink or white tea rose, very young and sweet. This is what my six-year-old should wear when she wants to play dress-up; I think it's a little to young and spry for me. After a couple of hours it mellows into a silkier, more sophisticated rose fragrance but it's still definitely pink and white tea roses. Not rich enough to become a favorite of mine, but as with all the Aqua Allegorias, I enjoy the way that each "course" is served up, reveals itself and then moves gracefully aside for the next.

Xi'a Xi'ang by Revlon

I recall enjoying this a lot when I was in my mid-teens - it was among my first full-bottle purchases - but eventually I got tired of it. I remember that there was something about the scent that reminded me of freshly sharpened pencils, in a good way. I recently came upon a sample and now I can enjoy that flood of memories that come from scent. I like it - a floral oriental, but not rich especially, rather unobtrusive. A floriental that you can wear during the day, that doesn't take over a room. And the packaging is gorgeous, even better than I remembered.

Trouble by Revlon

I wish I could find the notes in this, because I really enjoy it! A very heady, almost narcotic floral with great staying power. It's the most intense level of floral that I can live with before the scales are tipped toward headache and nausea. This is a feminine, romantic fragrance, and darn it, I want to know what's in it!

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

One of my all-time favorites, since I was 18 years old when I first discovered it in a St. Thomas duty-free. It's clean, crisp, and utterly addictive. I breathe more deeply when I have it on, just can't get enough of it. A little will do you, and will last all day. Actually, it will last on your winter coat until next spring, should you happen to forget dry-cleaning before storage. ;)

Brut by Fabergé

My connotations of Brut are so badly tainted, I could never enjoy it again. I'm remembering a guy we traveled with, in a bus, from South Carolina to the border of Mexico one hot, hot summer. Instead of bathing, he just dabbed more Brut on the more offensive areas. The smell now reminds me of unbathed hippies far more than patchouli oil ever could.

bonni's avatar

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

I hated this in the bottle. I thought, "UGH, there's NO WAY I can wear that!" but then, wanting to be fair, I put a bit on my wrists to let it develop.

The immediate top notes are pretty "whiffy" (as my husband would say), but that settled down fairly quickly into a rather pleasant old-fashioned Oriental that reminds me very much of incense. As the fragrance develops, I'm finding that I do, indeed, like it.

It does smell like something you'd expect Elizabeth Taylor to wear. It's grand, a bit "big" (it was introduced in the 80s, after all, when big hair, big shoulders, big earrings, and big fragrances were in fashion), a little old-fashioned, but surprisingly chic. I think some would call this an "old lady" scent, and I can see why they would, but I'm finding it to be quite enjoyable, particularly as the top notes fade and the somewhat more floral heart notes start to become evident.

It's not a particularly original fragrance, and there are better Orientals, but this is a fragrance I happened to have (got it as a mini in a gift pack with some other Elizabeth Taylor fragrances) and it's probably something I'll wear now and then when I'm feeling in the mood for something a bit spicy and mysterious and out of my ordinary fragrance style.

I'm giving it a neutral because it's not very original (in my opinion) and it's not something I'd buy again, but it is a nicely made fragrance that I will wear (at least until the bottle I have is gone).

chaelaran1008's avatar

Vanille Coco by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Vanille Coco is soooo gorgeous!!! I had been looking out for a fragrance which utilised coconut (which I love the smell of) without smelling artificial, cloying or sugary and I am so glad I found this. On first spray, however, I did think it was too sweet but my opinion soon changed as it settled down to a warm, gentle blend of vanilla and coconut that stays true and wears close to my skin. I feel very comfortable wearing this fragrance, as if it's 'personality' resonates with my own somehow, but I would really hate anyone to know I was such a softy!!

chaelaran1008's avatar

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Love the fizz in this fragrance, keeps it energised and uplifting. The scent of Lovely reminds me of the Lush bath bomb 'Big Blue' which I adore also.

Eggberj's avatar

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

It really took me a few days to appreciate this scent. I got a small sample of it from the sales girl with my recent Frederic Malle purchase. I told her that I don't wear florals (not that they aren't great - they just aren't ME) but she insisted I try it anyways. Upon first application, I hated it. I had to resist the urge to wash it right off. But after a while, I forgot about it, and would occasionally catch a whiff of something in the air. "What IS that wonderful smell?" I thought. Then I realized it was me. I wore Iris Poudre again the next day and fell in love. This truly is a work of art. And completely wearable my a male, I might add.

Eggberj's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I hate Vetiver. I've tried again and again to incorporate a Vetiver based fragrance into my collection, but I could never find one that I liked, or was even tolerable. VE is the exception. It has an incredibly high concentration of Vetiver in it, the highest in modern perfumery, I believe, and yet, it isn't harsh or astringent in the least. It's just a beautiful green scent that is pleasant from application to drydown. I imagine, that if you are a Vetiver fan, you will absolutely love this fragrance, as it was able to convert one so anti-vetiver as myself.

expecto_patronum's avatar

Raw Vanilla by Coty

This was the very first scent I ever owned. I was 13 years old when I bought it at a Walmart...haha. At the time, I knew absolutely nothing about fragrances at all -- save for that this was one I loved. I wore it everyday until I turned 15 and couldn't find it anymore. I can't remember any of the specific notes, but I just remember always feeling warm and smooth when I wore it, and I received sooooooo many compliments! I'd love to find a bottle again, just to see if it still holds up!

fakepurseninja's avatar

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Very very nice Citrus Scent with a bit of ginger and vetiver. Very versatile imho, any season, any age, any occasion (save a funeral or something like that..). Longevity seems to be a problem for some people, especially in colder weather, maybe put some on your clothes too in the winter. A definitive recommendation anyway, very original scent, I asked for alternatives several times at several places, and not one of those shown to me was even close to M7 Fresh.

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Individuel by Montblanc

Individuel smells too spicy, strongly flowerish and sickingly sweet for a man. Mont Blanc could market this stuff as a women product because I can't imagine a real man wearing this crap. May be wearable by women or “men” but not real men. Mont Blanc it's an excellent company making pens and I recommend that they still doing so and let perfumes to industry professionals.

Giò by Giorgio Armani

I hated smelling this on other people, but loved it on me. It smells like honey to me.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This is one of my favorites and most complimented next to Angel. I love it.

Prada (new) by Prada

This is one of THE most beautiful amber scents I've ever smelled.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I detest this scent on many people. It smells delicious if you have the right chemistry and I love it on me. I get so many compliments on this perfume, mostly from men.

In Love Again by Yves Saint Laurent

This smells like grapefruit and blackcurrants.

Baby Doll / Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

This scent is very similar to YSL's In Love Again. I didn't buy it because I already owned the similar scent.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I wear this scent, even though I'm a woman. It smells like that powdered orange drink, TANG.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I'm a girl and I wear this scent all the time. To me it smells like apple pie, and I'm not the only person who has commented on that.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

INCENSE! Just like in church. I would be all over a man wearing this.

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

Vanilla Vanille by Body Shop

Sweet. This scent is extremely sweet! It doesn't smell much like real vanilla, more like corn syrup and honey with a slight hint of florals. So unsuprisingly this scent becomes cloying and overly sweet when it's on your skin for more then an hour. The lasting power of this is not very good either. It only lasts 3 and a half hours on me and I have oily olive skin which is supposed to retain fragrances the best.

In general, I do like this scent it's rather foody but only in small doses. I recommend the body lotion or shower gel instead.

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I personally love this although thus far I have only smelled it once on a card. The cocoa is not overdone and is merely peeking aroung the corner at the iris, leather, and woods. It is the perfect fragrance for those who do not like gourmnads like myself because as I said, the cocoa is hardly noticeable but just enough to add some sexiness. The slight powder note is not overdone either. Overall, the fragrance is classy, elegant, and comforting. I think I will order some today.

JoeJoe81's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Great anytime cologne, great smell, very cheap, and women enjoy it's presence

Jon_Remy's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

I've changed my mind! I now LOVE Corduroy. I think I like it better than DK Men. Now, some years later, I find that it has that rich suede-like note similar to Ralph Lauren't Purple Label (in the old Monogram bottle). Yes, it is a winter fragrance in my opinion, but can be worn year round. Very unoffensive, yet very appealing. I equally like Nicole Miller for Men (which is very similar to Minotaure by Paloma Picasso).

14th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 04th September, 2010)