Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

mobyv's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I was so excited to try this one! I can't believe how rank it was after putting it on the skin...never have I found something so offensive that I had to wash it off. Give me anything else, including a glade plug-in, over this

Rashkae's avatar

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

As many have mentioned before, it's not really an "Aqua" scent. Boss Elements Aqua is *much* better in that regard. But it is a nice, slightly floral yet masculine oriental. Not bad at all, but not outstanding or unique. I got a good deal on a bundle, so I'm not regretting my purchase. It won't be high on my rotation list though.

Rockford's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

I love the way New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 smells when it is sprayed on a card. It is just so mouth-wateringly delicious with notes of coffee, cedar, vanilla, lavender, and bergamot. On the card, it’s a wonderful gourmand; some would even argue that it is the best gourmand ever. But eventually, I sprayed New Haarlem on my skin, and then it was a completely different story, and the fragrance was not at all attractive. I also realized that although I greatly appreciated New Haarlem’s gourmand fragrance, I did not particularly want my person to smell like a vanilla cappuccino. I have never had this kind of my reaction to any other fragrance. This fragrance is absolutely fantastic….until it is applied to my skin. Somebody else will have to buy and wear New Haarlem, because it won’t be me.

Ronald's avatar

Eau Sublime by Rancé

Outstanding. This is something like a female version of Creed Erolfa! An extremely worthy addition to any lady's wardrobe, but particularly those who live in warmer climes. The ingredient list includes: Mandarin, Lily of the Valley, White Musk, Neroli, Lilac, Myrtle, Florence Iris, Hyacinth, and Lime. Great stuff!

sands1974's avatar

Fidji by Guy Laroche

tropical blossoms, what smells like the glassiness of aldehydes, curling straight up into my nose's "yellow spot" and bringing me to faraway places, sandy beaches with cool clear azure water, mmmmm my first perfume from the roaring sixties and a meaty muscled stunner at that. has just that hint of the conservative fifties that boosts what i can only describe as a booming splash-up of notes that literally seem to spring from the base. josephine catapano is the perfumer that supported sophia grojsman in her early years, and somehow i can imagine that the woman who created fidji could inspire and nurture the woman who would later create tresor.
    michael edwards' perfume legends describes the notes composing this sixties wonder this way:
    top notes, galbanum and ylang-ylang, heart notes, bulgarian rose, clove (carnation), jasmine, tuberose, iris and spices, base notes, ambergris, balsam, musk, patchouli, and sandalwood (oh how sixties!). The top notes were revolutionary, in true sixties style, leafy-green galbanum and ylang-ylang combine to produce the effect of "the airy beauty of breezes in flowers"...A South Seas Island indeed: for about 35 dollars/30 euros I have been given a holiday the likes of which I am probably only going to be in state to enjoy in 20 years or so, and in this regard this little semi-ignored gem is prescient for me, and bringing me just a little bit of languid paradise in the last cold days of Dutch winter...

scenteur7's avatar

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

One of my favorites from the early 90's. I remember this coming out around the same time as Egoiste Platinum, yet I vastly preferred XS. Light, fresh and easy to wear, the drudown is a wonderful and aromatic woods.

If you like Creed Himalaya, skip the expensive price tag and try this great juniper-focused scen!

scenteur7's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

God I love this stuff...To me it smells like strawberries and patchouli. Absolutely nothing like the original, and I have a hard time picking out any of the notes in the composition. True, the lasting power is average, and sillage is minimal. But I don't care, I love it and can't really think of anything else that quite compares!

shadowlt's avatar

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

A beautiful fragrance! It has the ability to work in many different settings and situations. It evolves without ever losing it's inital impression while at the same time adding new aspects. It is not as sweet as Allure or as medicinal as Egoiste. As far as reactions from the fairer sex,.... I have never met a woman that didn't like something with the words "Tiffany" on the box.

Index Galbanum Patchouli by Fresh

One that I was given by a friend- I didn't think I'd like it, since I am not usually a huge fan of patchouli. But the spicy, woody Galbanum works against the Patchouli in much the same way (but ot very different effect) and Borneo 1823's nore shocking burnt cocao accord does.

Another great one from Fresh!

Index Red Currant Basil by Fresh

My first foray into Fresh's Index line: I was instanly hooked. A perpetual summer classic for me; one I never fail to be complimented upon. But be warned: Fresh's scents tend to have quite a bit of sillage, far more than you would think. Go sparingly.

Index Cucumber Baie by Fresh

A classic for hot summer days. Tthere is the initial bright blast of grapefruit and galbanum that travel through to the long lasting middle of cucumber until the base notes of velvety amber come through. Like most of Fresh's Index line, there is a deceptive amount of sillage from this seemingly light scent, so use a light hand. Having written that, I've never received anything but raves over this scent.

totalparfumlove's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

I don't really understand how this is classic. Don't get me wrong, I love florals and sweet smells but there was something in this perfume that was just TOO sweet. It made me really disappointed because my mom always said, "It doesn't matter if you have the crappiest scents ever made.... but if you say you own No.5, you simply seem like a upper class citizen! You don't even have to wear it!!!" I thought for sure the scent would be good if it was one you never had to wear but would be loved and adored if you owned it. I've smelt it on some people and it has smelt very good. But on me, it just is way to sweet for my own good!!!

totalparfumlove's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

god oh GOD! This smelt dreadful! I like a lot of Chanel scents, or at least think they're okay (I've recently started warming up to Chance), but when I tried this I expected something sort of different but still very feminine. It was crazy though! I put it on me and I smelt like grass and leaves! IT WAS HORRIBLE! I don't really recommend it at all...it was just a downright disappointment!

Love's Baby Soft by Love's

At the tender age of 12, this was my first fragrance purchase. All my own! My girlfriends were given Avon's Sweet Honesty by their sisters, mothers, aunts and what have you...but I never liked the smell of that one. Love's Baby Soft ended up scenting my dresser drawer liners, stationary, and anything else I could 'mark' with 'my scent'! After this one, I graduated to Love's Fresh Lemon and then to Heaven Sent. Each has truly claimed a place within me and I'm instantly transported there again and again by a mere whiff!

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli

One of the few times I've hated a scent which includes carnation...I wish I could rescue that poor unfortunate carnation from this musky mess! Sorry. Every bit of floral, fruit, green and musk in this creation rubs against my grain. I honestly don't know how it has sold even a single bottle.

Sandalwood by Caswell-Massey

Caswell-Massey produces this fine fragrance in a wide array of products - each one as lovely as the next! I particularly enjoy the soap or shower gel in the summer months, and recommend the lotion too! This makes a fantastic vacationers scent - perfect on a man OR woman ~ or even a little tyke! Takes the heat well, and is suprisingly refreshing.

Island Kiss by Escada

Tropical fruit, sweet and juicy! (Not a personal fave but I can certainly appreciate the fine skills used to devise such a scent.) Top notes are bright and fresh. Authentic fruit aroma. The drydown brings a soapiness that sends this fragrance into the "shampoo" category. If this one comes in a shower gel it would be wonderful! I would love it as a body wash. As for a personal fragrance - I'll pass.

14 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Should have added carmel, vanilla and almond to the apple note (instead of all those flowers) ~ now THAT would Be Delicious!!! I've smelled this on some younger women, and it's fresh & fruity - just not very distinctive.

14 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

robyogi's avatar

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Okay, somewhat of a change of heart review. The very raw coffee note in here, smoky as it is, is incredibly addictive. This is the stronger and longer lasting version of L'Eau du Navigateur. Manly stuff, tons of sillage, but still there's something about it that overpowers my sinuses. Still, the pleasure of its scent is almost good enough to endure the pain. Almost but not quite...maybe in time...

Update: Okay, the transformation is complete. Addictive stuff, I love this now. Spice and coffee with floral notes and dry, almost bitter, woody base notes make this like the smell of sitting near a fire outdoors in an island locale eating some exotic fare while the light breezes waft hints of the flowering trees and shrubs all around you. BTW, this is the old bottle. I've not smelled the new stuff, but hope they haven't changed it too much.

14 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 01st January, 2011)

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

My boyfriend bought me lilies for Valentine's Day this year, and this scent smells almost exactly like them. I mean, the natural scent given off by freshly cut lilies, right from a garden! It's amazing. However... I'd say this fragrance is a tad to feminine for a male to pull off.

14 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2013)

audrey's avatar

Germany Germany

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

As it was released earlier, it clears the question of who copied. I find that the 2005 Moschino Cheap&Chic I love love is very very similar to Eclat. Doesn't make me cry, for both are gorgeous clear musky florals with green citrucy note on top.Eclat is slightly lilac, and ILL is more grapefruit.

benb's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I use to love this one. I dont know what happened.I guess i just changed my taste. This days I usually find it a bit to cloying when I try it.
    benb

benb's avatar

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

I can't deside whether I like this one or not. There is something in i that I both like and hate at the same time.
    benb

chaelaran1008's avatar

Cavalli by Roberto Cavalli

The first time I tried Cavalli Woman I got a real shock! This fragrance immediately connected in a strong, emotional way with memories of my grandmother but it took me a long time to figure out what the association was. I had to replay in my mind bits of memory from many years ago until eventually the puzzle was solved: the block where she lived had beautiful gardens in front which were very well tended and were wonderfully fragrant in summertime. I can't explain this from the notes credited as being part of the frag but somehow Cavalli Woman smells exactly like the mix of these garden blooms. I don't therefore find this fragrance to be achingly hip and trendy, but it is special to me as an olfactory snapshot of a lovely part of my childhood. I love the way that trying new fragrances can sometimes surprise me. Cavalli Woman is a light, creamy floral scent with notes as follows:
    Top: Elemi, Magnolia, Red Apple
    Middle: Diastella, Wild Orchid,
    Atlas Cedarwood.
    Base: Indian Sandalwood, Amber, Musk.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Yes, cotton candy for sure. This scent is cotton candy at the cotton candy-making machine. There is a slight burnt sugar feel, and a synthetic hot plastic undertone. It's not cloying, but rather warmly and deeply sweet, and unobtrusive. That sounds awful as I read it back to myself, but actually I find it interesting and a nice balance to the sugar. I wouldn't confine it to summer, as a matter of fact, I think it might be better in fall.

7 Sinful Scents: Sloth by Gendarme

Pleasant. I get a simple grapefruit impression, at odds with the name, that hangs in there for at least an hour. After that, I lose track of everything and sense a lightly citrus musk.

7 Sinful Scents: Excess by Gendarme

Hmmm. Chocolate, patchouli, and vanilla--and jasmine, so it should be a bit different from all the Angels. But it still just strikes me as such a typical gourmand, and it's good for what it is, but it is just so predictable. The jasmine is buried in the stronger foody notes, and the spice and rum makes it seem quite masculine. Now, if I imagine smelling it on my date's neck at the movies--hey, that's a bit better. But only a bit. The patchouli is overwhelming, and over rich with vanilla.

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Green and fresh, yet soft and beautiful at the same time, a perfect balance between the two. It truly does smell like sopping wet live plant matter. And as sexy as that doesn't sound... it is. My only complaint is that it is quite fleeting, fading to a very soft skin scent within about 2 hours. One can only hope for a concentree version of this delightful scent.

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Color me unimpressed. I should hope I never run into a wild Cassie flower, if this is what they actually smell like. Also, I suppose luckily, this scent was almost undetectable on my after about an hour.

Farix's avatar

Nautica Classic by Nautica

The initial blast reeks of alcohol and stays that way for a good 15 minutes. The dry down is pretty good although not long lasting for me. A pleasant smell but with a bad introduction and a short powdery life on my skin.