Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

pongodarling's avatar
    pongodarling

Superfragrance for Men by Etienne Aigner

This fragrance was an absolute must for me back in mid eighties at that time Harrods stocked it then it was withdrawn never to return does anyone know anyhting as to where I can get it now where stocked etc???????

Rashkae's avatar
    Rashkae

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Man this stuff is great. It's a slightly smoky vanilla-like scent with a hint of rubber, like a formula1 car driving through a vanilla patch.

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Sweet, somewhat powdery, and floral. Maybe unisex, but to me it's leaning toward being a feminine scent. I like it enough - it's crisp, clean, and light - to maybe try this one on a hot, humid day. Still, it seems very soft and floral to me and I may not be brave enough to wear it out.

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

My favorite citrus scent to this point in my life. It's very balanced, right from the start, which is not the case with other Neroli scents I have tried. It's got a very strong orange smell at first, which despite being so strong is not bitter at all. The amber and sandalwood really smooth out all the citrus. The first two hours are a love affair. My only gripe is that it does not last. 3 hours in and it fades, almost completely gone (but that's 2 hours more than I get with Czech and Speake's Neroli).

Royal Water by Creed

I don't get peaches at all, and while it does have some floral notes, I don't find it to be overly floral or too feminine. In fact, if anything, I'd say the citrus dominates early on and then as that dries away (hours into it!) I'm left with some floral notes, but they are balanced by the musk and background herbal notes, and possibly even a marine note not unlike Erolfa. I like it - it's refreshing. Creed's website says it's "uplifting," and in this case, I find myself agreeing with them. I'd imagine this would be really nice for a hot summer day.

scentemental's avatar
    scentemental

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

*Dior Homme*, a well-mannered, immaculately groomed, impeccably dressed svelte Frenchman in a modish, sharp, well-fitted, light grey wool suit and the lightest of pink shirts, open neck, of course. A Frenchman you could spend the whole day with and never be at cross-purposes over anything. You would marvel at the the civility, the élan, the assuredness, the intellectuality, and you would say to yourself, "Ah Christian!, what a friend to have, indeed."

15 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2009)

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I keep trying this one because other people have smelled so great wearing it...on me it just keeps a cloying rose note followed by a heavy (and I mean HEAVY - like grandma's fruit cake) patchouli. Overwhelming in a bad, bad way. The only way I'll enjoy this potion is on some passer-by.

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

Reminds me of a spa. Cool, refreshing, relaxing...For me, this is a spring/summer scent. The green tea note is very prominent.

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

quite average....not bad but not distinct at all. the after shave is nice.

Cool Water by Davidoff

This is one of the most common colognes out there. Now is it now one of the cheapest ones too. Never the less its still gives that refreshing aroma. Buy it if u want a tried and tested formula that probably one in 10 men have.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

A bit of an antique really. Still spicies up the mood....but not for everone

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Like weymouthuk i too throught the scent was a lil strange at fisrt, but it grow on you. the rum is no really strong but just enough. Perfect for the sporty type going to a night out.

Crave by Calvin Klein

hahaha no wonder it has been discountued....smells terrible. if u like the gernal scent i much recommend TOMMY by Tommy Hilfiger or BVLGARI POUR HOMME by Bulgari. much much better then this.

Echo by Davidoff

I disagree that this is aim at older people then Cool Water. Quiet the opposite. I think it would suit the tendy teen or Uni studnet.

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar
    AlthaeaSoaps

Aoud Lime by Montale

I could just swamp myself in this fragrance...the oudh is very strong here, and i just want to drink it,almost. the smell reminds me of the scent of dried, crushed pine needles, and of the sharp odor that all the world has after you have fried your nose with bleach. but no, it's gorgeous! these are just the closest approximations to help explain what that sharp-yet-ethereal woodiness is like. the big drawback? unfortunately, it reminds me way too much of the odor of Deep Woods Off! bug repellant. I know it's probably something to do with the cedar-like nature of the woodiness, combined with the lime. it's actually an incredibly beautiful scent, but with the unfortunate association i have with bug repellant, i couldn't wear it daily without being uncomfortable.

aubrgene's avatar
    aubrgene

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love Vetivers and have tried several of them. The first time I smelled this fragrance, it immediately set a different standard and quality. Claire, the staff at Edition Frederic Malle in Paris made it clear that it has 25 percent more vetiver and I'm hooked. I bought the shower gel and the fragrance. This Vetiver Extraordinaire is on the top of my vetiver list!

Eggberj's avatar
    Eggberj

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

It's fragrances like this one that really make you appreciate the artistry of perfumery. The use of high quality natural ingredients to create something that smells synthetic is astounding. Normally, the reverse is true. And while I can appreciate the artistry of this scent, I could NEVER wear it. There's something so gaudy and unnatural about it. I'm reminded of an episode of "America's Next Top Model" I saw where the girls had to do a photoshoot dressed as 1920's pin-up girls, complete with too-red lipstick and loads of powder and rouge. This is exactly what I envision them smelling like.

Eggberj's avatar
    Eggberj

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Normally, I shy away from citrus scents, as I find them one-dimensional and fleeting. Not worth spending my hard-earned money on, IMO. Bigarage Concentree is the exception, and I've learned to expect nothing less from Frederic Malle. BC is sparkling and fresh, without being soapy or sweet, and actually has fantastic staying power for a citrus-based scent. It also doesn't hurt that Jean-Claude Ellena is one of my favorite perfumers, and I find it very hard to dislike any of his work. With summer fast approaching, I imagine this will be one of my staples.

F_Frez's avatar
    F_Frez

LouLou by Cacharel

Two weeks ago I met in a dinner with 3 girls, friends from the University, and one of them had a mini bottle of LouLou she never dare to use. I smelled it and remembered those years at the University... a girl who usually sat in front of me (or I sat behind her?, I don't remember) used this fragrance: an intense aroma of sensual flowers, animal instincts and lust around her. Well... maybe this is a fragrance aimed just for atracting men (like Herrera for Men or Egoiste Platinum, that I personally hate but women loves it), as other of my friend also smelled it and said it was like vomit, a cheap fragrance she remembered from the University times... the same girl???

Francoise_Papiran's avatar
    Francoise_Papiran

Montana pour Homme by Montana

I didn't like Montana first notes, since I thought it smelled a bit like an old man's cologne. Then, to my surprise, after some minutes it changed to a nice soapy, powdery like fragrance and I couldn't stop smelling. It is important to wait some minutes to discover the true beauty of this fragrance. I guess that in the same way that some fragrances because horrible after the first notes disappear, others, like Montana, become a lot better once the dry down has started. It's a unique mixture between floral, spicy and musky notes and has an absolutely erotic, oriental and irresistible karma. This is great for people who like soapy powdery fragrances.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

This was the most unpleasant scent I ever smelled. It was a gift from a client and it literally smelled like Raid. I gave it to my sister to use as bathroom spray.

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

This was my FIRST perfume. I stole it from my mom and I adored it. I still love scents like it to this day.

Vanille Coco by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This is a great summer scent if you love the smell of coconut tanning oil. It's one of my staples.

Héritage by Guerlain

CEO-ish powerhouse from this ancient french house. Similar in character to Bois du Portugal & Azzaro Ph but smelling very different from these. Heritage is a dark, mature, masculine juice with the classic Guerlinade-mix clearly pronounced. This can make the initial perception somewhat "sour", but this quicly fades in favour of cinnamon, vanilla and a massive amount of dry woods. Like many Guerlains, Heritage is available in many different concentrations. I prefer the Eau de Toilette.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Like Scenteur7, this was my new years scent 2005-06. And it performed well, although I was somewhat dissapointed in the sillage department - where I expected wonders I received decent at best. Rochas Man is the most similar thing on the market IMO, and they both mainly feel like warm ground coffee/vanilla mixes. I wouldn't say New Harleem is a complex scent, but rather a well balanced one. The base-patchouli anchors the composition with a well needed semi-bitter earthiness so essential in the middle of all the sweetness. Overall I'd say it might not be worth hard retail cash, but e-bay deals etc should facilitate the plunge for interested people.

Sandalwood by Floris

I don't like my sandalwoods harsh at all, so Santal Noble really doesn't do the trick for me. Others like Tam Dao - where cedar compliments very well, and Santal from this house - where spices and sweetness balance the blend, are much more appealing. And this sandalwood is perhaps the best on the market for the pure ones, perfectly mellow and soft. Wears close to the skin all day and is definitely more to the masculine side. Also smells very timeless and I was surprised to see how late it was lauched.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Very dissapointed in this one. It really feels more like a Drakkar Noir for the new millenium, than a great and original niche offering. Mossy, green, some citrus and a generic marine accord unfortunately don't add up to something worthy of this price range. Get the excellent sweet, green and pleasantly floral Central Park instead.

Pink Grapefruit by Floris

Brilliant in it's naive simplicity. A super-clean, fizzy cologne based on the lovely aroma of freshly squeezed pink grapefruits. I also think the longevity isn't half as bad as many say, easily lasts 6 hours, which is a lot considering it's carefree citrus anatomy. One of the most feelgood juices out there, sparkling and playful ingenuity. I don't think anyone could dislike this.

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Although I think the Creed-plagiarism that Bond is often accused of is somewhat exxagerated, this one really confirms some of the conspiratoric thoughts. Hamptons is simply a blatant ripoff of Silver Mountain Water. It does have some own merits, BUT overall inferior and most of all I must question the pyramid since it doesn't even mention tea and blackcurrant which are obviously very present in the juice. Get the original instead, afterall the price difference isn't that big.

Original Santal by Creed

Original Santal comes across as a hybrid between Chanel's Allure for men and Joop!, and thereby continuing the unfortunate recent trend of unoriginality. As much as I like Original Vetiver, the similarity to Mugler's cologne is even harder to get over in the light of this release. The fragrance itself is really well done and boosts exceptional longevity for this house. A sweet blend with woods, vanilla and red berries, but just like with OV the name-note is hardly present. If you're into sugary scents with massive staying power and a youthful overall vibe this might be for you.

BUT the subtle warnings of plagiarism are increasingly disturbing. Wouldn't suprise me if the next launch will be called Original Patchouli and smell like mix of Monsier de Givenchy and A*Men. Shape up guys.