Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

omniray's avatar
    omniray

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

this stuff is horrible !! : hairspray+plastic and some bubble gum, very cheap smell... no Armani, go to bed !

plumeria's avatar
    plumeria

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

On my skin I get a soft, slightly powdery vanilla fragrance with a hint of a sharp, almost metallic note running through it. Although it is not really foody, it is really delicious. I can understand why this is described as a smoky fragrance, but to me it's more like vapor. It's subtle and never becomes cloying like some other vanilla fragrances get on my skin. The lasting power is not great though.

Stuffman's avatar
    Stuffman

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Oh boy... another Curve. What's new about this one? Not much, other than a disproportionate increase in price to the added depth, complexity, and lasting power of the original Curve. I wasn't a fan of the original, so it's so surprise I'm not a fan of this one either. It is, however, better than the original, though not by much. It's a bit more refined with a more solid base, but unless you are a huge Curve fan, you're not missing anything.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar
    takemyhusbandplz

Prada (new) by Prada

When I looked at the notes listed here, I couldn't believe it! Patchouli and Benzoin listed as some of the ingredients. I never thought I'd be writing that I like a perfume with these notes!

Personally I love this. The bergamot is the strongest note upon my skin. It combines beautifully with the mimosa and sandalwood amongst other notes. I'm going to try this a second day before I commit to purchasing a full size, but some far I'm impressed. Prada in my opinion is similar to the skin feel of Gucci EDP, but with a lot more spice and sillage. Just lovely!

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

This is a good scent. I just don't wear it that much for some reason. It's interesting with its sweet gingery spicy powdery notes, but i just have no overwhelming desire to put it on. It the scent to wear if you want to fade into the background. Plus it doesn't really last.

Higher by Christian Dior

I love the bottle, but the notes are average at best. It's pretty unique, but i'm just not sure i like pear. When it dries, its a light musky woody smell, but it still has that weird spiced pear thing going. It does last though.

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh yes, my namesake! I also do play jazz music on occasion, so I didn't name myself completely after this nice little fragrance. Still, I must speak on its behalf.

This was my first YSL...the scent that introduced me to this edgy and unique house. It's one heck of a fresh fragrance. The grapefruit/mint to coriander/rhubarb evolution is just great. To this day, I have not smelled anything quite like it. The accords are bracing and sour, like a snappy little slap in the face before a more relaxing drydown with just the faintest whiff of dry vanilla with a more ample helping of wood (ambergris? I don't know about that...). I highly recommend it as a summer fragrance if you're looking for a very dry, sharp citrus with distinctive notes.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 September, 2009)

Metal Jeans Men by Versace

Smells ok out of the bottle, but in about 10 minutes is annoying and sour. And then its gone. The end. Don't get it.

Pi Fraiche by Givenchy

[EDIT]: Just wanted to clarify that I do not own this anymore. As my tastes progressed, my tolerance for the sweet synthetics of this one evaporated, and I eventually got rid of it. However, at the time it really did seem very pleasant. This would be ideal for the non-enthusiast who can't distinguish synthetic sweetness and wouldn't care as long as the chicks dig it. Because they did.

I won't give it a thumbs down. It's one of those pleasant-but-flawed fragrances. You could do a lot worse in this market niche.

Original review from March 2006:
    I probably wear this more than anything. It's sweet and and rather fruity out of the bottle. The sweetness stays with it until it fades (which is a really long time). Every female i've asked adores it for some reason. Overall it's great but DO NOT OVERSPRAY. 3 at the most. It creates a really nice aura, but everyone will flee from you if you have too much on.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 15 December, 2009)

Présence by Mont Blanc

For a short while i liked it. Then it seemed too peppery. Then it seemed too sweet. Now it just smells rotten and last time i wore it, it actually made me ill. It never struck me as complex of well-made. It's just not good stuff.

Visit by Azzaro

Review update. There's too much nutmeg in this. I've started to feel that it dominates the scent for too long. The drydown is still nice, but i've grown tired of the nutmeg. Make sure you like nutmeg before you consider buying this.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 20th September, 2006)

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

It reminds me of Dr. Pepper right when its sprayed, and for about the first hour, it smells really "thick" and medicinal. It put me off at first, but its so unique you almost have to like it. The drydown is just great. Warm and unique and intense. Pretty much has to be worn at night...no way around that. I always feel really suave when i wear it.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

I'm usually not a big musk fan, but i like this. The tea balances with the musk and pepper and makes it totally unique. Awesome alternative to aquatic summer frags. It just plain smells good.

Individuel by Mont Blanc

WOOOAAAHHH this is not for me. Sweet and synthetic and annoying. Doesn't dry into anything nice. Lasts when you don't want it to.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I will be very blunt:

Other than Kenzo PH, this is the most authentic smelling marine fragrace on the market in this price category. If you like very oceanic, bitter, authentic marines, get it. If not, aviod it. Simple as that.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2007)

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Yes, the opening smells of grape soda with a metallic twang. This is not an entirely pleasant top accord, but you have to give it points for being quite unique in the modern fragrance environment.

Luckily, the opening fades quickly enough and is replaced with a steadily growing melange of spices, musk and leather. The drydown really is quite sexy (and a little animalic!). Bottom line: while the opening puts Magnetism dangerously close to cheap-teeny-fruit-punch territory, the unusually interesting and attractive development keeps it safe.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

tmp's avatar
    tmp

Sables by Annick Goutal

One that I didn't really "get" the first time I smelled it, at first I thought it was overly heavy: I smelled tobacco and caramel and something like cognac and it was a bit much. But that soon evaporated into a fantastic, creamy sandlewood. Not easily found in the US anymore, I have a bottle hoarded.

Nahéma by Guerlain

One of the most beautiful rose fragrances, ever. It makes a symphony from the scent of roses, juicy peahces, and incredible, clear balsam. Nahema possesses the mysterious beauty of a Victorian mansion, elegant, ornate, and haunted.

So New York by Bond No. 9

I've tried most of the Bond No. 9 fragrances, and So New York is my favorite of them all. This is a fun, warm chocolate-coffee-patchouli fragrance that soothes me on cold days. Unfortunately, the lasting power is terrible on my skin. If it weren't for the lasting power, I'd buy a bottle in a heartbeat, but for now I'll stick to Blv Notte when I need a chocolate fix.

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

Broadway Nite is an extremely potent diva of a fragrance on me, with heavy-duty aldehydes and pungent florals. Although there are times when these notes are enjoyable, and even fun, in Broadway Nite they miss the mark with my chemistry. Broadway Nite has 1980s sillage + 1920s aldehydes. Elegant and classy, yes. Intimate and subtle, no.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2008)

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

The notes tell me I should love it, but my skin refuses to believe them. Chinatown is very pretty, but it's not as fresh as it sounds like it will be. There's an undertone to it that reminds me of cooked vegetables. It smells like a dining room that has fresh flowers on the table, but the smells of food sneak through the florals. I think the note that goes off for me is probably the cardamom, which is a favorite flavor to eat, but not to wear. The bottle is beautiful.

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

I find the fast-paced stimulation of large cities to be comforting. I know that's unusual. Atmospheres typically considered to be "comforting" give me anxiety attacks. I had one sitting on a beach on Maui, staring at the ocean... After that trip, when my plane landed at LAX, I felt like kissing the asphalt in the gritty parking lot. My last trip was more my speed (pun intended). I visited the city that's been my lifelong favorite - New York. I was inspired to give Eau de New York another try, and I'm glad I did. Eau de New York doesn't smell like New York. It smells citrusy, clean, and bright; all notes which I find to be energizing and stimulating. So, for me, Eau de New York is a comforting fragrance, even though the notes do not connote a specific olfactory memory.And I love that fabulous bottle.

16 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2007)

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is the fragrance of carefree happiness and joy. It's so bright and uplifting I want to bathe in it. I wish it had better lasting power, but I must own this, even if I have to pickle myself in it to make it last. It's bright, fun, cheerful, and so pretty!

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Alliage by Estée Lauder

I have real mixed feelings here. The peach and jasmine combined with pine are not good at all. It starts out just plain stinky for me. However, after the drydown - about 20-30 minutes after - I'm loving the vetiver & oakmoss combo! The greens really melt down to a mild essence that is outdoor fresh. This fragrance is very unisex - in fact, I think I might prefer it on a man!!!

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

K de Krizia by Krizia

K de Krizia is deep with an abundance of moss. The lighter floral topnotes succomb to the moss and amber...leaving a very dry somewhat powdery feeling. Slight traces of vanilla are detectable in this mix. I might also call it a warm fragrance. It is unique, though I prefer to admire it from afar as it's tonality doesn't represent "me".

baron's avatar
    baron

Antaeus by Chanel

Brilliant scent. Dry and leathery chypre with a distinctive honey (beeswax?) note. Elegant yet quietly brutal.

bonni's avatar
    bonni

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

I was very surprised by this. I was really expecting to dislike it, or at least be neutral toward it, but I found it to be very pleasant, indeed.

It does start off very "loudly" with a big blast of floral, whew! But that settles in pretty quickly to the very nice heart notes, which are sweet but not terribly so. There doesn't appear to be a gardenia note in this, but the middle notes do remind me of gardenias, maybe they "evoke" the scent of a gardenia more than smell like it? In any case, it's a nice bouquet to my nose and with my chemistry.

This is a fragrance that I can't imagine too many young women wearing, and even a somwehat older woman (35+ I'd say) probably should apply with caution (as has been noted by another reviewer) because I think a little too much of this would be a lot too much.

Still, a nice fragrance and I'll certainly be wearing it again. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a reasonably sophsticated floral bouquet perfume. It's well worth trying.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

Another one of my top 10 list of woman fragrances, it smells well on almost everybody: on my best friend, on an executive at a project I was a couple of years ago... and on my mother-in-law!!! Mainly vanilla and maybe amber, it have very sweet notes I guess maybe fruits. A winter parfum, as it may be so strong in summer and in overspray cases.

Eden by Cacharel

Eden is one of those fragrances which varies a lot depending the kind of skin. Remember it smelled very well in one girl at the University (not the one using LouLou!) and in one of my wife's friend, but when I convinced my wife (before we married) to test if... ugggg!!!! like dead flowers!... and the salesman said he never had before a case where a fragrance smelled so bad. It was enought to ruin the rest of the evening and return back home to wash her hands and her sweater. Maybe good, but not for all the skins.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

A fragrance with personality, sweet and very distinctive, with main notes of peach and some flower I can't remember. I smelled it on women in range 30-40+ at colder seasons, fitting very well on them. I don't think abut Tresor as a tennage girl fragrance... it's for classic women, part romantic, part office (although a bit strong). Common in the late '90, I've not smelled it in the last years. Still in my top 10 list of best fragrances for women.