Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Casran by Chopard

The most futile thing is to try to describe this scent. I can't begin to describe this one, it's just so unique. It's one of those ethereal things that words can't describe. The bergamot note is pronounced and the high notes of licorice and rum are just heaven. I also believe there's Moroccan Geranium in this very complex, elegant and unmistakable cologne. The scent lasts very well. It's a subtle scent to begin with, but has staying power. Winter or summer, casual or formal, this is the ultimate scent. If you have an addictive personality, do not buy this. You'll lock yourself in a room and do nothing but smell it. If you like classy and sophisticated fragrances you'll love it but if you prefer cheap and tawdry, you probably won't. And the bottle, what can I say? Attractive. This is a magical, mystical fragrance; truly unique and wonderful!

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This stuff is pungent and assaults the olfactory senses head-on. I must say this is by far the worst I have smelled. It is strong, overpowering, piercing and not masculine; very overwhelming and not recommended for close encounters or day wear. Its smell closely resembles a car odor on Saturday morning after a night where two of your friends vomited, and you tried to cover up the smell with cheap air freshener. This is the most invasive, disgraceful and persistent scent I have smelled... awfull!.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

This scent is strange… Not that the scent itself is awful but this stuff doesn't last and is too soft and weak and is most suitable for women in the spring and summer months. The first notes not harmonious, later the scent appears. It smells like grass, wet lawn grass with a hint of rose bushes and ferns. It smells like a plant alright. Refreshing, but the dry down are gross and last only a few minutes. Not bad smell, but nothing impressive... there are a lot of better fragrances. Keep your money and look for other stuff! This is just a green and fresh fragrance...

Fujiyama Homme by Succès de Paris

This is L'Eau D'Issey but without the high cost and doesn't last as long (this last for all of five minutes). Both smell very similar and I could care less for either one of them.

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I give a neutral decision thus far because retesting is needed. It use to induce headache on me. Recently, I smelled it on a gentleman and I asked what his fragrance was, becuase it smelled good and green. He said it was eternity. I was stunned. So, at my next trip to the mall, I will be testing this!

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

I love this and is my fav Armani scent. I hope it stays in production forever! Mania excites me as much as my beloved Green Irish Tween does and I think I might even start to lean towrads this on certain days! WOW! Longevity is superb. One spray lasts all day one me. Huge thumbs up to Mr. Armani for t his one!

John's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Starts out fresh, but then gets smokey and musky in a bad sort of way. Imagine old ladies and cigarettes around the holidays. You don't need to buy the cologne in order to get the smell - just go to a bingo instead.

's avatar

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

very versatile and enjoyable fragrance. As with most red scents, there is a sweetness about Xeryus Rouge. What sets this one apart from other red fragrances in my opinion is the balance. It's sweet and warm and manages somehow to be light. This one can be worn during the day or for romantic evenings out. This was the first fragrance I fell in love with, and it is still a staple in my wardrobe. Great sillage, excellent longevity. For anyone who likes sweet scents but is put off by the cloying nature of some of the stronger gourmands, might I suggest this one as an alternative.

nitehawk550's avatar

JHL by Aramis

I joined this site just to say please bring JHL back, it was the only scent that felt like it belonged to me. It's either JHL or nothing. I don't think I would even care if they upped the price. By the way, I see it on a bidding site and was wondering if anybody can tell me how long it stays good for. My open bottle only lasted around 3 years before it started to go bad.

Quarry's avatar

Eau de Camille by Annick Goutal

My husband and I both smell apple on my wrists, and then I get pear, or, more accurately, the juice of canned pears. Nice lasting power for such a delicate scent. I want to serve this to a very young lady. Doesn't suit big, ole me, but I applaud its quality. I should also mention it has that soapy element that I sensed in the other two AG frags I've sampled, as well as in Alfred Sung's scents. I can imagine why someone would like a soap note, but I feel like I'm tasting soap--not a good thing.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh yeah. Hail to the king! Man, this is one of those fragrances that need a "walk through the mist" application, but by god it gets the girls drooling! Just be careful how much you apply... I really can understand the people who say it smells like piss or urinal cakes, but if you squirt this from a distance you'll be fine

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Lovely scent for an evening out at a formal restaurant... It just oozes class. :)

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

I love the original Kouros for it's blatant in-your-face sexuality... Kouros Cologne Sport turns it into a gentle, fresh seduction.

273 Rodeo Drive by Fred Hayman

I agree that 273 is very 80's. Yes, it's quite potent and heady, but it has some warmth to it, too, with a warm woodiness (sandalwood?) on the bottom. I don't often wear mine, I prefer other heady scents to this one. But it's not bad at all in small amounts.

Champs-Elysées Too Much by Guerlain

I bought a bottle of Too Much several years ago at Marshall's. I suppose it bombed sales-wise, ergo the bargain bin. I like it. Too Much is very similar to the first Champs Elysees (which I've also worn and liked) but it's different in that it's more effervescent, and to my nose it isn't greener but rather fruitier (tart) than CE. It's sunnier. It lasts a long time on me, too.

Lulu Guinness by Lulu Guinness

Lulu Guinness is very pretty, nothing at all wrong with it, but after wearing it a few times I found myself bored by it. I'm a floral lover, maybe even a fanatic, but this one just isn't all that distinctive on me. It's just eh, rather bland. Life is too short to wear fragrances you aren't gaga over.

Polo Sport Woman by Ralph Lauren

It doesn't remind me of L'eau d'Issey but it does remind me a bit of Tommy Girl, though nicer than TG I think. I detect a little fresh mint in it, which I enjoy. It's citrussy on top and dries down fresh and clean on me. It's an inoffensive fresh after-shower fragrance. Doesn't last long. Not a bombshell and obviously wasn't intended to be. I own a small bottle of it. It's pleasant enough.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Fracas is one of my top ten favorites. It's not bombshell at all on me, not siren, not diva, not any of that, though I do find it intoxicating and breathtaking. Of the tuberoses I've tried, this one is my favorite so far. The notes all hang together nicely on me, is the only way I can explain it. It dries down quite fresh and clean on my skin. I receive compliments when I wear it - and from close up, not from across the room, lol! :-) It works well with my chemistry.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I've fallen in and out of love with Angel over the years. At the moment, I'm in love with it again. I've been wearing just the tiniest dab of the edp lately and have been receiving compliments. Maybe people apply too much and that's why so many hate it - because a little goes a very long way. I guess I'm just in the mood for this again.

17 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 25 August, 2006)

Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours by Guerlain

Oops, I made a mistake buying this one without trying it first. I tried it three times. At first I thought I might like it better in the summer when drier scents seem to suit. But I don't think I will ever like it. Each time I try it I try to give it time to develop, but then I have to scrub it off. It makes me feel nauseated. Very few fragrances affect me in such a way. I've never met a Guerlain I couldn't at least stomach, even if it wasn't for me. This one smells like a mix of lavender, iodine and baby powder. The lavender part is nice. I love lavender. I'm not wild about the baby powder but it's not horrible. The iodine -- is godawful. I don't know what the "iodine" is, that's just my name for whatever it is. Oh well.

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

Inexpensive musk oils are one of my guilty little pleasures. I feel like I have to sneak them because when I was a teenager my parents couldn't stand my musk oil perfume and said I smelled like a cheap tart, etc. So I still have that tarty association with them, notwithstanding all the trendiness of musk again and the very many "nice" musks that are available now. I wear the cheapies just for myself when the mood strikes me. I bought Alyssa Ashley musk oil a while ago, and I swear I can't even smell anything at all. When I was a kid they used to say that you can't smell musk on yourself but others can -- maybe this is one of those cases. I like to smell my own perfume.

360 Degrees White For Women by Perry Ellis

This was another impulse bargain buy at Marshalls. I'm reserving judgment until summer because I might like it better in hot weather. Right now, it smells very syrupy, tropical, a bit coconutty too. Just at odds with cold weather here in the north. I don't know...I might wind up liking it. It might be a little too cheesy, though. We'll see.

Tovah's avatar

Kai by Kai

When wearing Kai, I close my eyes, inhale, and then I'm transported to paradise. Kai is an incredibly pure gardenia that's shockingly beautiful. Its lasting power is outstanding. Kai is a precious fragrance treasure.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Happy by Clinique

I have two friends who wear this fragrance exclusively ~ and they always smell fresh, clean and sweet. I put it on and it's 'instant headache.' The citrus top notes are juicy and bright as sunshine. The drydown is basically a non-event...but leaves a trail of light floral freshness. I've tried to enjoy this scent but I'm only happy when wearing something else!

zenpiper's avatar

Lime by Caswell-Massey

This is about Caswell-Massey's "Lemony Lime" since there was no category for it. The Lemony-Lime starts off with a blast, similar to Royall Lime - fresh citrus with a whiff of hard candy flavor. But that quickly dries off and what is left is a very charming, subtle fragrance. As with many of C-M's fragrances, this is barely a whisper on the skin, but it's great. Also, there are the subtler, warmer notes of C-M's Number 6 in the bottom register and the provide good balance to this nice warm-weather scent.

laroche's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Would compliment Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo.

17 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2010)

aanthony's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

I don't think this is like farenheit at all. This demonstrates all the green of Silver Mountain Water. But Silver Mountain Water is so complete, this scent is almost unecessary. How ever it does smell good and is a good green spring scent in my opinion.

aanthony's avatar

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

A classic for only the most sophisticated set. Not an everyday fragrance but the best boardroom scent on the block bar none. Paper chase in a bottle. It just murders new tabarome. New tabarome is just a modern version with stronger tobacco.

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

Wood & Spices by Montale

The drydown on this is gorgeous, just gorgeous. Unfortunately, you have to go through a long phase where this happens to smell just like Carpet Fresh before you get there. :\

aubrgene's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love this one. It's my favorite Musk scent so far. Starts out heavy but subsides into a wonderful mixture of lavander, bergamot and vanilla. I sprayed it on before I went to sleep and put a smile on my face. A must for musk lovers!!