Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

audrey's avatar

Germany Germany

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

It's one of Eleena's masterpieces:angelica, juniper berries, coriander,musk and cedar. Clear, fresh and aristocratic, it's almost too subtle and fades away very fast. But that's the only fault of this otherwise beautiful unisex fragrance.

czesc's avatar

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I understand the direction this fragrance is trying to take but I find it just doesn't get there. It is a bit too harsh and in your face, the edges seem jagged and its just barely holding itself together as one unified smell. The notes are however well matched (spices, fruits, woods). I believe with more refinement this could be a fine scent.

EnvYuS's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

It starts out Sweet and powdery with a hint of Lemon in there. There are less prominent wood notes but it dries down to a dry powerdy wood. There is a small amount of spice in there. It is quite amazing.

greedyboythomson's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Until I had encountered Givenchy PH I had favoured more marine or citrus related fragrances. This was the first spicey-wood fragrance I had found that I liked. It still has those citrus top-notes but dries down to a spicey base that has reasonable longevity. I'm now on my second bottle and also own the hair and body gel along with the deodorant spray (I've recently ordered the aftershave balm also!). When these are worn in combination the scent is perpetuated and there's no risk of products 'clashing'.

A good fragrance to try if you want to try and move away from the lighter citrus scents.

greedyboythomson's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

I recently tried a 1.5ml sample of Creed Original Santal, my first reaction was to check the reviews for comparisons to Joop! PH. It may have been around 6 years since I last owned a bottle of Joop!PH but on close inspection both fragrances share a top-note of Cinnamon and have base notes of Sandalwood, Tonka bean and Vanilla.
    To me the similarity is distinct. If there is a contrast to be found however I'd suggest it may be around the middle notes but having never compared the two directly I wouldn't want to be overly-assertive.

If others have found this to be the case then perhaps the popularity of Creed's Original Santal is a fore-warning of a wider 80's fragrance revival. Now, where is that bottle of Brut Aquatonic I had back in '89....

knize10's avatar

Monsieur Worth by Worth

Warm and rich woodsy fragrance. Housed in a solid and functional cruciform glass bottle topped by an equally elegant black lacquer like plastic stopper. I was lucky enough to discover a cache full of this now rare scent. My favourite along with Knize Ten, Chanel Cuir de Russie and Tabac Blond from Caron.

knize10's avatar

Quiproquo by Grès

A beautiful fresh lightly woodsy scent. Wears well all year round. Similar to other Eaux Fraiches launched in the 70's (Eau Folle from Guy Laroche, Eau Vive by Carven, Eau Fraiche from Leonard, Eau Fraiche by Durer)

MRV's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Very warm, lasts about 24 hours! Perfect!

MRV's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

At first it smells rather ok! In warmer days it starts smellings like sweaty feets after a couple of hours!

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I've been wondering how exactly I would describe the scent of ambre to someone who had never smelled it. Before I had tasted it, a friend of mine once described truffle to me as: "imagine the world's best chef took a stinky gym sock and somehow made it taste great." I guess the reality with ambre is that I would have to say: "imagine a sperm whale puked and somehow, months later someone found it and it smelled salty, dense, tar-like, and sweet but yet dry, and so they put it in a parfum with other stuff." Ambre is unique. In this scent, I think it is slightly sweet, verging on too sweet for me, but not quite there. I get lots of vanilla mixed with the ambre once this is dried. I also get maybe some nutmeg or a touch of cinnamon - light spices. It's pretty straightforward and yet rich and creamy. It's one of my favorite MPG's to date. Very nice and lasts a long time.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I just read this was made to smell like a woman, which is really ironic, because as I was smelling the dried down scent on my skin, I was strongly reminded of tanning bed smell. Not suntan lotion, but rather the sultry, salty, hot, sweaty, burnt smell of having been laying on a tanning bed getting fried. I'd imagine this would be pretty similar to a woman coming from the beach, so I can agree with the assessment. Overall, a dark, warm, burnt-creamy sort of scent. I like it, but won't be buying a bottle or wearing it myself.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Lots of spices and dried fruits. Sweet and gourmand. It kind of smells like a real chai tea (not that syrupy goo Starbucks serves) with some dates or figs, or something sweet and earthy. I definitely pick up a tea note in this too. Like many niche scents, I like it but cannot see where or when I would wear it, and so will not be buying a bottle for myself. Still, it's one of the better gourmand scents I have experienced.

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

Pleasant enough, an immediate, almost acerbic blast of lavender gives way to a powdery lavender shadow. It's light and somewhat powdery, pleasant, but short-lived (on me, very short). And honestly, for my money, MPG makes better lavender-heavy scents.

Cologne Bigarade by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I'm commenting on Cologne Bigarade, not the concentrated version. It starts off incredibly well: a very nice, rich, non-bitter yet sparkling, almost steely, refreshing citrus scent. Then, like magic, it disappears. I mean completely, utterly gone in less than an hour. It's probably the shortest duration scent I've ever tried on. I have to give it a thumbs-down because I can't even comment on the "dry-down," since it wasn't really there long enough to dry down. I'd love to try the Concentree version, as it has the potential to be a go-to summer scent if it can last long enough.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Pretty amazing - they bottled circus stink. Seriously, it smells like a circus or a county fair. I swear I can even smell the elephants. I get cotton candy, something like hay or sawdust (or both), and something a little funky, to be honest. I'm not sure I get vanilla on the dry down - to me it seems sweeter than that, almost candied, and so, like so many other artistic scents, not one I would wear. In the end, I give it thumbs-up for creativity and ambitiousness. Who would have thought to do this outside of the niche world?

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

I get tons of patchouli at first, then as it dries down I get a scent not unlike a Downy dryer sheet that's been rubbed in patchouli and carnations. It's kind of feminine once it dries down. I do not like this one at all on my skin. Maybe it's great on others, but not me. A disappointment, as I wanted to like at least one Bond no 9 scent.

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

I get smoky tobacco with a fairly linear development. It is also a relatively long lasting scent on me. If I have to place it, I would place it somewhere between new Tabarome and Vintage Tabarome. Less soapy than the vintage, and also more modern feeling in some way that I can't pinpoint. That said, on me it is smokier than new Tabarome. I like it just fine, but I like new Tabarome better. On me new Tabarome lasts longer, has a more interesting development, and throughout, has more "pop" or liveliness, probably due to the much-maligned ginger note, which I actually find crisp, refreshing, and a nice balance to the butteriness and smoothness of tobacco. For those reasons, I can't imagine buying a bottle of Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac, despite my liking it more than most scents I have tested. I doubt I would often reach for it over my new Tabarome.

Schlomo22's avatar

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

At first I was skeptical of this cologne. The first few days I was wondering if I actually liked it or not. In about a week or so, BAM! I thought to myself "I really enjoy this cologne." And it was true. It is similar to AdG but a bit more spicey and lasts longer. Overall, this cologne deserves more respect. Not to mention I've received numerous compliments already... which is a plus!

sherrie11's avatar

Chaz by Revlon

What a blast from the past! My mom received Chaz in a gift bag back in the 70's when she went to some party. I started wearing it because I thought it smelled nice, but I can't for the life of me remember what it actually smelled like. It's been a million years since then. Was it the male equivalent of Charlie? I wore that, too. I would love to be able to sample it somewhere, just for the memories it would evoke. I wish I knew Italian, so I could understand Mark's review. :-)

sherrie11's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

I agree with FroFro in that Miss Dior Cherie is more chic than sensual. I love it, it does have a sweet candy quality and the strawberry note is charming I think, but the drydown is elegant. It's a classy fragrance in my opinion not just a candy bomb. I really like it and it's on my wish list for this summer.

snikersprincess's avatar

Red Roses by Jo Malone

This smells so true to life it is scarey. I got this perfume initially because I read "Emporor of Scent" by Chandler Burr and it said that Jo Malone had an "astonishing" rose extraction. One of the best around. I bought it sight unseen!
    So I sprayed it on and I did not get actual complements. Lots of people said "Wow! You smell like roses!" But no one said "Wow! You smell good!".

In short, if you want to smell like actual roses, try this one. It you want to smell like a person with a lovely fragrance- try something else.

snikersprincess's avatar

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

Just got this one in the mail. When I sprayed it on my freind wrinkled her nose and asked, "Are you sure this is'nt a man's cologne?". It is not femanine at all, but it is true to life. It is very "fig-y".
    Jo Malone discribes this as being warm and "sun-ripened", but it is actually very green and sharp. Not a warm, soft scent at all.
    However, I did like it. It is quintessentially woody. It's not the best fig out there, but it's a good one.

Tovah's avatar

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

Boudoir is one of my all time favorite fragrances. The Viburnum note is so sensual and bewitching. I wish I could find other Viburnum fragrances! I sniff the Viburnum in my yard so that I can get a hint of Boudoir for a "pick-me-up." On my skin, Boudoir is a very rich scent, heavy with rose, marigold, orange blossom, and a touch of tobacco. I find it to be more of sweet floral rather than an evertly sexual Oriental like Opium. I categorize Boudoir among fragrances like Nanadebary Pink, Fifi Chachnil,L'Heure Magique, Tresor, and Samsara. Boudoir has outstanding lasting power and a sillage that's perfect for romantic memories.

Vanilla Fields by Coty

Eh, rather bland and inoffensive. Sugar-sweet and very mild, no staying power, minimum sillage, but then with something so weak in personality, you wouldn't want it chasing you across the room and standing on your chest, anyway. A nice, quiet scent to wear when you're not wanting to call attention to yourself, perhaps, or when you want to avoid anything controversial about your person.

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi

I just want to add that I applied this in the morning and now, at 10:47 at night, it's still hugely strong. I feel like I've been punished all day with this horrible stuff.

19th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2006)

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

I can't really wear this, too many elderly women I know wear it and it just makes me feel like a grandma. However, the interesting thing about the powder in this is the salty aspect. Many powders are sugar-sweet or floral-sweet, but the powder here is not sweet at all. It's almost...mineral. The florals maintain their own character separate from the powder, rather than playing second-fiddle to it. It's almost like two separate melodies playing at once, complimentary and cooperative but independent. I'm holding onto my bottle for a decade or so...perhaps I will have grown into it by then, or perhaps my mindset will have changed enough to allow me to feel good in it. It's certainly a beautiful fragrance, despite the cultural insinuations.

bonni's avatar

Romance by Ralph Lauren

It's not pink, but the box is. This seems to be one of the first of the many "pink floral" fragrances that came out on the market around the same time.

It's a pleasant fragrance, light, a bit sweet, definitely very floral. Nothing really distinguishes it for me, though. "Nice but nothing special" is how I'd characterise this one.

Shycat's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Whoa ho! I agree with these other reveiws but these are exactly the facets that have made me insane for this fragrance. It is sweet, creamy, coconutty, floral, with a hint of herbal spice that reminds me of my favorite Thai restaurant. No, it's not fresh, no it's not clean and soapy, yes it's got vanilla, and yes there is a bitter note twining in the dessert for contrast.
    I can't claim it's a masterpiece of development. It is what it is, full-on, full-blown, immediate gratification. It lasts forever so I get delayed gratification as well. I absolutely grunt with satisfaction when I catch my own sillage later in the day.
    So was it worth 110 dollars for my way cute 1.7 oz bottle? You betcha!!!!!

CyberAthlete's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Summer 2006 by Issey Miyake

My favorite cologne for Summer 2006 (compared to everything else in my wardrobe as of March 19, 2006). Key note is Lime and it's a sweet citrus smell that is extremely pleasant. I have received numerous compliments on this one. It also lasts a good 4-6 hours on my skin (and that's in cold weather right now) so I can't wait for summer to kick in and let the heat really bring out all the scents that are locked up in this beauty. Sensational fragrance.

The scent doesn't change much from when it is applied to the dry down, so it's pretty one dimensional nonetheless absolutely wonderful at the same time. 2 thumbs up.

I love this frag so much that i was obligated to write a review (this being my first).

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Very interesting opening: the sage and lavender contrast—almost conflict—with each other, but they work it out, and, helped by the iris and bergamot, settle into a nicely structured delicate accord. I’m not yet sure what to make of these top notes—I find them original, and I like them for that reason alone, but I suspect I will soon come to love the opening for its own sake. By the time the middle notes open up fully with the iris, cocoa, and amber, I’m totally loving it. These heart notes are superb (if not original)—they are rich, warm, and sensual—the iris is stellar. The iris and cocoa are gradually reduced as the scent moves into its base. There is a subtle transition to a long lasting base of leather, patchouli, and vetiver that is fully equal in quality to the rest of the fragrance. Rich, full, somewhat edgy accords in an elegantly structured fragrance, I hope Dior Homme foreshadows what is to come in designer offerings.