Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Inessa's avatar

Coeur de Vahiné by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Fruity and yummy, almost too girly, suitable for someone young, outgoing and flirty.

kewart's avatar

Héliotrope Blanc by Piver

I found a bottle of this in my local TKMaxx for a ridiculous price (£8.00). It was a revelation!! I already love the smell of heliotrope - warm and almondy, but this is also tinged, albeit very faintly, with ylang ylang and jasmine. The initial floral notes die down to a warm vanilla/almond/baby powder mixture. I love to wear this to work, as it is very subtle and not at all obtrusive. Doesn't last too long on me - a few hours, but at this price I can re-apply it often. All in all a gorgeous, feminine scent.

mamar's avatar

Cabotine by Grès

I bought it because i liked the bottle and find it very strong as well.When the top notes disappear, it really settles down, but it is a complicated fragrance to wear. Not for everyday.

mamar's avatar

Vétiver by Piver

A recent serendipitous find at Winners.It is the most wonderful clean and sexy scent I have ever owned.

MarkDavid's avatar

Eau du Coq by Guerlain

A very nice, comfortable smell that I feel really takes you back in time. Longevity is poor, but it is an Eau de Cologne so you have been warned.

MarkDavid's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Dior Homme was a big disappointment. Nothing terribly new or innovative from the brand that seems to take innovation to new heights. Started out ok, turned powdery too quickly and did not last long at all. After a while, it went very sour and I had to wash it off.

Musician's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

This is a state-of-art fragrance, typically Chanel.

I used to think that it's too strong and cloying when firstly applied, then got used to it and after several wearing, now it's one of my favorite... Also one of the best drydowns.
    Starts VERY fresh with an almost shampoo-like fragrance and dries down to a VERY woody and vanillic yet subtle scent plus a hint of pepper.
    It's young yet elegant. Good for winter and summer. :) Although this is an EDT, it has a EDP's strength and very good sillage so don't spray it crazily like you do with many light EDT.

When you are wearing this people know that you are not wearing some Armani Boss CK... ... but Chanel.

Alain Delon / AD by Alain Delon

When the actor Alain Delon, in his youthful prime the epitome of dark Latin good looks, sauntered forth upon the street exuding masculine sexuality, all the ladies would gaze at him admiringly. When Alain Delon's rich and florid uncle, patting his paunch and twirling his moustaches, accompanied him, exuding wealth, tobacco, lechery and spice, he would gaze admiringly at all the ladies gazing admiringly at his nephew. What Alain Delon was gazing at is none too clear - possibly at his own cologne.
    This rather fine scent somehow manages to capture all the olfactory possibilities of this complicated human saga.

Preferred Stock by Coty

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'I recall the time when I was a guest on the luxury yacht of Sir Alan Sugar, the celebrated entrepreneur and TV personality (or Sid as we used to call him for obvious reasons). He sold us each a bottle of Coty's Preferred Stock.
    "Look, de Charlus," snapped the Grandmaster of Commerce, "I don't like shmoozers and I don't like losers. I don't like posers and I don't like dozers. I don't like tossers and I don't like dossers. Personally I think you're all of those things but they tell me that when it comes to scent maybe you know your arse from your elbow. I need some business advice. I'm thinking of buying up Preferred Stock from Coty and re-marketing it under my brand. But should I call it 'Sugar Homme', 'Bottom Line Uomo', 'No Bullshit', 'Eau de Barrow Boy', 'President of the Board' or 'Lord Blimey'? Tell me, which one? Look sharp now or you're fired!"
    "My dear Sidney," I responded with a sigh, "you seem to forget that I am a guest on your yacht and not one of your apprentices or employees. You also forget that, as well as being Baron de Charlus, I am also Duc des Dunes, Prince de Laumes, Damoiseau de Meringuez and Seigneur de Savigney - the owner of vast estates who has little need of your employ. Nevertheless, I confirm that Preferred Stock might indeed constitute a signature scent for you and your ilk: it possesses just the right blending of crassness and gravitas, the elegant boardroom and the sharp street corner, masculine charm and mercenary over-emphasis. However, since the public at large mainly tolerate you on account of your uncanny resemblance to the much loved comic Sid James, my advice to you is that the ideal name for your fragrance should be 'Carry On, Chairman', 'Monsieur Sid', 'Lecher's Cackle' or possibly even 'PHWAAUGH!'. I require no consultancy fee."'

Replay by Replay

If you know Timberline, in the Dana English Leather range, then Replay has quite a lot in common with it. A similar dominant note pervades both scents through all their phases. What is it like? In some ways, like the smell of a factory where some unusual but pleasant chemical mixing process is in operation: a smell that is both industrial and poetic, woods and spices entering into its strange composition. Oddly evocative - but, to wear, it can become oppressive after a while. Timberline, being of a weaker concentration, is less so.

rjrober22's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

Reminiscent of Farenheit...but different (Better IMO) It starts out fresh and minty (like others have said) I feel the musky vanilla drydown mixed in with the green mint is what makes this a very different but enjoyable frag. I do wish it lasted a bit longer...But I get 5-6 good hrs out of it.

robyogi's avatar

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

This is not one for the young-uns. The smell is something like an old leather chair pulled out of an exclusive club, soaked with years of cigar smoke, and freshened occasionally with some sort of leather polishing cleaner. It is a tad dated smelling, and yet somehow still works, especially if you are going to be smoking cigars. Really, it's one of Creed's best. Give it some time to grow on you though.

02nd March, 2006 (Last Edited: 06th April, 2008)

SadieShade's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I bought this unsniffed in the EdP concentration after reading about it. The concept is very "me." I must admit that I love the idea of smelling like a whip-cracking, ball-busting pirate queen. The man who sold me the bottle looked at me funny when I asked for it and said, "Are you sure? This one is pretty strong. And it's older than you are!" This pretty much sealed the deal. I'm a perverse kind of girl.

I ripped the packaging off in an alley on the way to meet my bartender friend at her job, where she was working a noon shift. Sprayed it on my wrists and rubbed my wrists behind my ears. Walked towards the bar, sniffing. After a few steps, though, I realized that I didn't have to sniff my wrist to smell the perfume... it WAS strong! And kinda... old-ladyish. God, I hate it when the people in charge are right about things. I smelled so strongly of strong old lady perfume that I started feeling a bit self-conscious, which is unlike me. I suppose this is what is referred to as the "green monster" opening. I got the green stuff, but mostly it was old-lady flowers mixed with some acrid baby powder.

When I got to the bar, I made my friend smell me. "Ripe old lady," is what she said. "Shut up, I like it," I pouted, hating her. I ordered a beer and kept sniffing my wrist. I noticed that the initial potency of the perfume was calming down a little bit, getting less sharp and more powdery. "#&$% this perfume," I said, settling into my beer and my friend's conversation.

By the time I'd finished my third beer, I was in love with my arm. "Smell it again," I commanded my friend, but she refused. Her loss. Bandit had mellowed into an intimate, indescribable softness that smelled both like the back of a boyfriend's neck and a soft, old leather thriftstore handbag. I got a little tobacco, a little patchouli, but mostly it was this beautiful waft of something close, treasured, and sleepy.

The pirate-queen perfume made me feel kind of... maternal, actually.

Oh, well. I AM a perverse kind of girl. My only problem with Bandit now is finding a place to wear it. The last time I put it on, I went gambling in AC in my fake leopard-fur coat, and it was perfect. But how often does that happen? I suppose there are worse fates than to plot one's life around occasions to wear Bandit.

SadieShade's avatar

French Connection Bathroom by French Connection

It doesn't surprise me that this is discontinued. Pretty much, this fragrance smelled like cheap gin mixed with country-time lemonade. I wore it at the beach in high school; none of the lifeguards wanted to make out with me.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I immediately fell in love with this one...it melded into my skin instantly, as if it was part of my own DNA. The blend of notes is smooth and refined. Most definitely a classic masterpiece by Guerlain! Although my olfactory was completely satisfied with Mitsouko, I don't feel it was an accurate expression of my personality. I will wear it on occasion, but not on an everyday basis.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This blend of sweet spices and floral - AND vetiver - is magic! Not typical by any means. I must disagree with some of the previous comments ~ the anise and licorice notes are amazingly good. It comes off less sweet than Angel ~ not trying to be a 'clone' ~ and it's very wearable. What an ingenious blend! I've tried it several times now and grow to love it more with each application. This one is worth the full bottle. Which by the way is a treasure all it's own!

02nd March, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2008)

Romance by Ralph Lauren

I wore this fragrance during my last pregnancy. It was the only scent that didn't sicken me. I found it very fresh and lasting. I think the marigold and lychee gave it a nice tang and kept the top & heart notes from being overly sweet and flowery. About a month or so after my son was born, I put some Romance on and was totally repulsed. It was waaaaaaaay too overpowering and went completely acidic on my skin. Boy oh boy, chemistry is everything! I enjoyed it for about 7 months.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Old Spice is user friendly. I find it's a blend that can be enjoyed by many, especially young men first venturing into the world of fragrance. For me, it will always be the scent of my grandpa - as he never wore any other.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch is obviously the product of a marketing whiz. The scent itself is basic; you will probably either love it or hate it. So what's the deal?

Being the mother of a trend loving, hormones raging, fashion forward 17 year old daughter I have learned first hand about Fierce. A&F employees (all late teens - early 20's) liberally spray Fierce throughout the entire store. (A corporate directive.) This creates a 'conditioning' of association. When you smell Fierce - Abercrombie pops into your brain. Along with their loud hyper-bass repeating soundtrack and 'I'm so hot but a little too cool for you' attitude...their image is created, in fact, indelibly etched into your senses. You see, the more senses involved in your shopping experience, the better chance consumers will remember that shop with the blue awnings! It works. In fact, as my daughter and I were shopping in Bloomingdales ~ an attractive young man passed by. My daughter took a deep breath and declared "MMMMMMMMMMMMM, he smells like Abercrombie!"

I say if you need a gift for a 17-24 year old guy, fierce would probably be a safe choice! If you are wondering what this frangrance actually smells like - head for your nearest mall and walk by the A&F doorway, inhale, you'll know immediately!

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I've tried to like this, but I just can't. It's ugly (I know, that's shallow of me, but it's brown, and it gives new meaning to the concept of "toilet water"), it's far too strong and much too... much.

I do find Estee Lauder fragrances to be fairly hit or miss, and this is one I'm happy to miss!

White Linen by Estée Lauder

I used to wear this quite a lot, and I always got compliments when I did. Nice, crisp, balanced, well-constructed, feminine fragrance, this one.

Haven't worn it in a long time, because my tastes and preferences changed, but I might resurrect it soon. I've got a mini bottle of it in my perfume drawer, and who knows? My fondness for this fragrance may be rekindled (sometimes you do go back to an old love, even after a breakup because you drifted apart...)

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

Well, I happen to really like honeysuckle and jasmine, so this fragrance really works for me. It develops beautifully on me, and the honeysuckle note that I like so much lasts pretty much throughout.

I used to wear a lot of Estee Lauder, particularly White Linen (but also Estee and Beautiful), but I got out of the habit and when I went back, I found them to be a bit too heavy and not really to my taste any more for whatever reason. This fragrance, however, has brought me back into Estee's loving arms again. I do like this one (and I admit that I even quite like the bottle which is, yes, corny and a bit silly, but why do perfume bottles have to be serious, anyway?)

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

My grandmother, a fan of perfumes, started wearing this in the early-mid 80s. Now whenever I smell it, I'm reminded of her. The scent therefore has pleasant associations for me, but I normally don't wear it, myself.

Still, today I put some on (borrowed from my mother-in-law, for whom I bought the fragrance) and I'm finding it quite pleasant just on its own merit.

I haven't got a list of the notes and I'm too lazy to go and find them, but the top notes struck me as fruity and floral, and then it settled into a floral heart that seems to be jasmine-based. Basenotes are floral but a bit muskier, perhaps with some sandalwood in there. Very nice, I must say.

Giorgio smells so very 80s to me now, I just keep thinking big shoulders, big hair, big earrings... And this is a big fragrance to go with all of that. It can be extremely strong, so apply with caution. It does seem to stand the test of time, at least to my nose. I might just have to wear this one a bit more often now that I'm experiencing it again. It's quite nice.

d4's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

Fruit punch. The red kind in the gallon-sized plastic bottle.

encarnacion's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

I can't talk more about this perfume 'cause I'm a man (though I tried it to know it). It is a very good fragance, isn't overpowering although long-lasting, the drydown smells like vanilla with a bit of chocolate(with a little of cotton candy) very well for spring/summer. Besides, the box and bottle are spectacular. !I recommended!

encarnacion's avatar

Vivid by Liz Claiborne

Although it is a litlle bit difficult for me to speak about women perfumes, I cannot resist give good news...and Vivid is a very good news. It is a 90s very good fragance, luxurious and femenine (too much femenine really) flowery n' elegant (perfect for a romantic date). It is the perfume that reminds to that woman who wants to be romantically reminded "Seems taht I like this fragance" !of course! Like a man I recommended it.

Dalimix by Salvador Dali

Not so good. Strange, almost tainted fruity scent, which does not make me impress. An unisex scent? I don't think so; it is too feminine for even my taste. Also I think that bottle has an unsuccessful design. Nice melon note but lasting power it's very short, between 15 minutes and one hour. Try it before you buy.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This is a good fragrance that can be worn during the day at the office. I just don't think it stays as long as I would expect it on my skin. A mild citrus smell makes it intriguing and mysterious. It is too expensive in my opinion and… Why would I pay so much for a cologne when there are better similar scents for half the price? I won't!

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This is a very different and mysterious smelling fragrance. It's an arid scent with aquatic notes if you can imagine that. I liked it on the test paper, but I didn't like it on me at all. The iris note is very pronounced; it's too strong, weird smell, well.... smell like cheap perfumes... sorry but I'm not crazy about this one.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This one smells way too heavy, smells like chinese medicine or a toxic spray... and sooo much wood it's just disgusting... I have never in my life been so offended by a smell. This stuff is indescribably horrific smelling. I really wanted to like it but I'll pass on this one!