Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Jon_Remy's avatar

Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent

Yes, I like this fragrance quit a bit; however, subsequently after smelling Addict by Christian Dior (which smells almost identical to Nu), I find myself leaning more towards the Addict. Although both are quite nice and long-lasting, the Addict has just an element about it that I find slightly more intriguing than Nu. I would consider both fragrances (Nu and Addict) unisex fragrances. In my opinion, I would save these fragrances for early autumn all the way through winter, but not into spring.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Definitely a winner in my book! It's sweet at first but never cloyingly sweet on me. I always wear it on my wrists in order to be able to sniff it all day (lasts a long time). I realize that people either love it or hate it which was true for my sister. Of course, that just meant that I was the lucky recipient of a new .8 Fl. oz bottle.

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is my absolute number 1 favorite (so far it's the third one I've tested) of the SL collection. The anise is very strong at first but it turns into a scent both sweet and spicy. It's not like anything I've ever worn before. I get a lot of compliments when I wear it.

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I bought this fragrance because I am a sandalwood FIEND but was disappointed with this one. Too woody and bitter on my skin.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Issey is a nice but common fragrance. It's nothing but a combination of citrus mixed with some sweet notes (very light) and a woody base.It's a bit marine too, maybe because of its salty smell. Medium longevity here.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

There's nothing Black in this Polo, It should have been named Polo Orange! Starts with a delightful mango/green smell that fades after some minutes and gives place to a refined orange smell, just a little bit powdery (as in the dry down of Paris Hilton). Reminds me of Davidoff's Echo without the "white suede" sweetness. That orange/tangy smell is also present in Polo Black.
    Great casual scent!!

sands1974's avatar

Fabulous by Jan Moran

Actually a very very good perfume. I had mistaken it for something ordinary, but as with most perfumes, if you give them enough time they will show you something special :)
    The notes were detailed, along with the perfume's story of creation, on www.fabulousfragrances.com. This is Jan Moran, the perfume author's, first creation. My palette is limited, but I can sense a flowery bouquet over a sort of vetiver and musk, a powdery feel.
    Michael Edwards classifies this as a Floral Oriental, and the spices are faint but apparent.
    Glorious, elegant, refined, ladylike/feminine,
    a true gem to own, and the bottle is my mind's take on Beverly Hills Chic, which is Cool.

Tovah's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

An iconic classic, which has become the supreme tuberose fragrance, by which all other tuberose fragrances are compared. It's confident, lush, and daring; a heady pungent tuberose with a strange woody-mossy drydown. It seems like a happy scent when first sprayed, with bright citrus, and orange blossom notes. This is deceptive, though, because Fracas quickly becomes a bolder, dark fragrance, that can be downright disturbing. It's like the DeChirico painting, Melancholy and Mystery of a Street, where the carefree girl is unaware of the dark shadow that is about to cover her. Don't expect Fracas to be pleasing to others at work, and when wearing it, don't expect to be stopped in the street and complimented for how clean and fresh you smell. It's not going to happen. But do expect Fracas to add drama to your life, and make your moments wearing it, into adventures. Everything is intensified within the bizarre and hypnotic atmosphere created by Fracas!

19 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2008)

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta

This Oscar is a garden bouquet sweet and spicy, actually peppery! The peppery part dries down more on the powdery side...nicely orchestrated fragrance! Just a sniff off the bottle sends me back in time - during the late 70's & early 80's there wasn't a woman around who hadn't tried this one for herself. This perfume is my favorite of all the De La Renta's.

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

My daughter wore this for about 1 week - thankfully she stopped! Too much EVERYTHING for me - very potent. Also seems 'unnatural'.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Lovely is fantastic! The individual notes of this blend are all very subtle. I might say it's casually sophisticated. Appropriate for ANY occasion, I find this to be wearable by the masses. (Women & Men) Delicate fruit notes blend effortlessly into muted florals - which include lavender - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - drydown elicits the slightest patchouli layered with the perfect notes of musk and cedarwood. Not a single note is overdone - the entire evolution is clean & clear. BTW I have not detected any vanilla in this arrangement. Exquisitely done!

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Unfortunately, my personal chemistry makes sweet fragrances go VERY sweet (with a few exceptions). I cannot wear Chopard Wish at all, I've never tried Angel (because I know for sure I won't be able to wear it), and, to be honest, I don't really like sweet fragrances all that much (again, with a few exceptions).

This one, though, is actually kind of nice. The opening is a bit too sweet for me, but it doesn't take long before it settles in and the anise/licorice really kicks in with a nice spicy sort of sweet instead of just the sugary/syrupy sweet that I so dislike.

I love the licorice/anise note(s). I think that's what gives this fragrance depth and character, and it's what kept me from dismissing it as yet another sweety-sweet candy sugar fragrance.

As the fragrance developed, I really got to where I liked it, which is a bit shocking as it is quite sweet and outside my usual perfume style. It really becomes quite delicious as it goes on.

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'll buy this in a full bottle. I may have to test it a couple more times to decide. But in any event, I don't hate it, and I'm actually pretty impressed with the depth and character, which is saying a lot from me, who generally hates sweet perfumes.

Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours by Guerlain

This is a most extraordinary fragrance. It's surprisingly complex in development, going from a bright initial blast of lavender through the lavender and woody notes like a beautiful tune. On my skin it's very slightly spicy. Absolutely delicious, what a shame they've discontinued it!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is one fine, superb and very complex fragrance - woody, spicy, musky, mint all in one. Very long lasting, and when you are in good restaurant and well dressed, you feel like millionaire. Goes on a bit strong but mellows out after a while into a very pleasant smelling and long lasting cologne. Don't spray it in the neck - it's a bit too powerful so close to the nose. Personally I find it smells better on other person which is a good reason for wearing it if you want to attract some attention. When it settles on the skin it's a great aphrodisiac. So far I haven't come across a scent from Yves St Laurent that I didn't like. This is a classic that remains sensual even after 20 years in the market and should always be part of any real man's collection. If you don't want to smell like other guys - use Kouros!

Jivago 7 Elements by Jivago

Fabulous oriental fragrance; starts out pretty sharp but dries down to a nice woody and luscious vanilla aroma. Nicely powered and sharp oriental fragrance from this not-so-popular fragrance designer Jivago. Smells very similar to Jaipur by Boucheron and Gucci Envy for Men with its sharp, oriental and kind of powdery feel. This fragrance is a good money-savings if you're into the likes of Boucheron and Gucci.

greedyboythomson's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Initially it smells like the hot lemon towels they serve after dinner at an Indian restaurant close to where I live! A citrusy scent for warm breezy days.

Markymark's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

Escada PH is no doubt in my top 3 faves! There is something about this frag that does it for me and the people I am around - warm, boozey, a bit oriental and simply luscious. It's always a crowd pleaser and is very unique, classy and will stand out from all the trendy water/green scents. I wear it in all 4 seasons, office and all. I am simply in love with Escada PH. A winner with great longevity but not in your face. It sits well on my skin and clothes with decent sillage. "Yummy" was the word from a female friend that recently smelled this on me. I agree! :)

Musician's avatar

Nazareno Gabrielli pour Homme by Nazareno Gabrielli

Absolutely HORRIBLE, smells like some cheap supermarket buscuits + honey... way too sweet and not in a good way... makes you want to puke after a while.

OlfaOmega's avatar

G Sunny by Gansonne

Test1 Test1 Test1 Test1 Test1

Riverwide's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I really like this one. I usually find citrus scents a little dull and "disinfectant" smelling(if you know what I mean) but this has a lovely base of patchouli, or at least that's what it smells like to me. Settles down beautifully to a lovely warm, but strong earthy scent. Definite thumbs up!

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

Another lovely old friend wrecked. The new version is horrible. The old White Shoulders made by Evyan, who've been out of business for years now (White Shoulders is made by some other company now), was absolutely gorgeous. It was a signature fragrance for me. The new White Shoulders is a sad disappointment. I've had to move on.

p.s. Evyan's "Most Precious" was very nice back in the day, too, and similar to White Shoulders. I understand Long Lost Perfumes makes a version of it, but I haven't tried it.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Many years ago I wore L'air du Temps pretty much exclusively, in all of its formulations. It was my signature scent - before I became this fragrance lunatic that had to experience multitudinous fragrances. I received compliments on L'air du Temps just about everywhere I went. It suited my chemistry to a "T" and dried down soft, lovely, slightly musky, spicy and floral. Can't quite describe the scent but it was haunting. I understand the formula has been tweaked, so I'm afraid to revisit my old love. I'd rather have fond memories than see another old love ruined for me.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

Someone very kindly sent me a sample of this a a long time ago. I honestly didn't see what the big deal was about. It's a sweet, thick floral. Lately, though, after revisiting my little decant, I've decided that I love this fragrance. It really does make me feel sexy and boudoir'ish in my private domain here -- like I should be sitting here at the computer in marabou mules and sexy lingerie (rather than the jeans, socks & pseudo-birkenstocks I'm really wearing, lol!). I'm addicted to the sweeties lately -- what is that ultra-sweet note, the viburnum? It weaves through the composition like a vine. I hope it smells as good ON me as it does TO me.

bmcnich's avatar

Style In Play by Lacoste

Nice sporty smell, very light and unique. The biggest problem is that it doesn't seem to last more than 2 or 3 hours. Definetly better for daywear and for younger people.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

Delicious fragrance. Very different sort of lush floral, really has a unique character.

I own a lot of floral fragrances and it takes a really special one to make me consider adding a new floral to my collection, but by gosh, I think this might just be one that I'm going to have to acquire.

Gorgeous perfume, clean, fresh, really interesting, and not a "like all the others" scent. Fantastic.

Sparkling White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

I was extremely surprised by this fragrance. It's really very pretty, surprisingly fresh, and the citrus (neroli) top notes are delicious.

It's nicely balanced and very, very feminine and pretty. It's a little strong, so it should probably be applied with a light hand, but I really like it and find it very elegant.

flee's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

I can't see a man wearing this, and I've smelled better scents on women. To me the scent is confused with itself. Very different, but I guess that's cdg's motto. As with odour 53, I don't give it thumbs down because I can't understand it or know the path its taking. I will use up my sample and if I don't feel it then I will walk away from it.

flee's avatar

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

Good 1. When I'm on the last wearing of my sample, it impresses me. From neutral to thumbs up. Still a different approach with this 1, with this house.

21st March, 2006 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2006)

Xeryus by Givenchy

I found this to be a very intriguing, rich and very masculine scent. I don't know what's in this scent, but it certainly smells way better than a whole lot of highly-touted colognes. Unlike Xeryus Rouge and Pi, which are most suited to special occasions, Xeryus is well for any occasion. I truly love this scintillating scent. It's very versatile and powerful, so spray cautiously and lightly. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Isaac_Enrique's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I like the L'instant de Guerlain pour homme EDP one! Smells damn good, too good to be true! My favourite!!!