Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

in england you cant easily get ahold of this stuff which was given to me a few years ago by a friend following his visit to Canada..but it was great..strong lively tones,lush citrusy top notes and a sensual base note..perfect for evenings in my case..good stuff

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

formal and floral for the fast forgetful. its powderfresh..you'll feel like an 18th century dandy wearing this and the older ladies will compliment you forever...it was a gift from my mother but i cant help wondering if she intended it for my father..

Weekend for Men by Burberry

it last all of 4minutes 42 seconds on my skin..lovely,fresh,summery and full of promise but fails to deliver..nice packaging initally attracted me but the scent wears for such a short while that its not worth the money..but then its not particularly expensive..freshness,freshness,freshness..and then its gone..

What About Adam by Joop!

this smells bubblegummy and is far too potent..made my head swirl..it hits you with an extremely synthetic feel..not at all pleasant..

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

a good scent but nothing more..not outstanding but pleasant to my own nose. the bergamot and grapefruit shine through initially but i rarely experienced the base notes for long..so staying power is not a strength..not bad though..

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Tommy Summer Cologne 2005 by Tommy Hilfiger

Whoa, this is very lemony with plenty of veviter and a nice masculine marine accord. This smells great on a man with the right chemistry for it. If you don't have the right chemistry you'd smell like a big plastic lemon.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Tommy Girl Summer Cologne 2005 by Tommy Hilfiger

To me this smells like a rosy white floral which opens up crisp and synthetic. Not bad, but not very good either. Sorry, I just am not awed on this one. On the plus side, the bottle is cute.

totalparfumlove's avatar

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

My uncy wears this and I LOVE IT!!! It takes on such a sweet masculine smell! It's really nice in my opinion. I think it's one of those scents though where you have to have a distinctive style for it. Because I mean, my uncle may be able to wear this scent, but I definitely could NEVER see my boyfriend wearing this at all! It's just a little to sensitive for his sporty personality. I think that personally it smells the best when you wear it sparingly because then the scent doesn't just stay with you, it becomes a totally wonderful experience as if you've never smelt it before, or it's like smelling it after years and years. It's a fabulous scent and I love it dearly. I think it's great for just certain personalities though, but overall, very wearable!

Trasker's avatar

L'Homme Sage by Divine

Probably one of the most seductive scents I've ever tried. Perfectly blended! I will always own this.

Eternity by Calvin Klein

This scent is pungent & unnatural to my senses. I've tried it a few different times but am always disappointed.

Elysium by Clarins

Clarins produces some of the best natural skin care products I've tried. I also have enjoyed their Eau Dynamisante treatment fragrance...sooooo I was all set to love elysium, but it wasn't meant to be. A seemingly innocent fruity floral that went rotten with my chemistry. I ended up smelling like an over-ripe honeydew trying to cover my stench with musk...yuk! I am giving this scent a neutral because I truly believe this fragrance will fare better on most other people - and my sad experience is probably unique. No love connection here!

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I love the bottle, I love the ads with Liv Tyler, I love the name...BUT...when I spray it on, it was a big zero. For me, very blase'. Also, faded quickly.

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

I find Tommy Girl to be bright and lively, but there's also something sharp - almost biting to my senses. Among it's many fragrance notes, I am unable to distinguish the specific offender...I much prefer to notice this scent on someone else.

Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein

Chinese pink peony is one of the listed fragrance notes for Eternity Moment - and I think that's what attracted me to it. Quite a different flower note. Wore this one for a couple of months and then suddenly did'nt care for it any longer. I'd advise obtaining a sample on this one and wear it a few times before purchasing - as the "moment" might fade.

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

First off I need to vent my frustration at the name Dior Addict 2 - this scent is NOTHING like the original Dior Addict. Since it is completely different, why not a different name? Am I the only one irritated?!?! Enough of my rant...let's get to the juice. Breaking down this mix was fairly simple for my formally uneducated nose. First drops on the skin were citrus and bergamot...then we got to the florals - freesia and waterlily. Finally, a powdered sandalwood underneath it all. My personal taste finds it very young, even 'playful'. Wearing this fragrance gives me the same feeling as Tommy Girl. It's not really what I want to wear. My daughter likes this one very much though, so I guess it's Addict for me and Addict 2 for her!

BOUNTIFULTREASURES's avatar

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

I read the other reviews and i agree and disagree with them all. I have worn this fragrance since day one of its release. It is my absolute favorite for every day and casual evenings. Tomuch is to much but to litttle is not good either. Body chemistry will change this fragrance. With the right chemistry it is a nose stopper. Compliments galore i have recieved over the years and just as many compliments as what is that fragrance you're wearing. Age has nothing to do with perfumes ladies. If you have the right chemistry, attitude, & body you can pull off any fragrance. It's all on you. Have fun with this fragrance and watch the gentlemen of all ages swoon.

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

An honour to start the reviews on this brilliant new fragrance made by Jean Claude Ellena for Hermes. I just tried it recently and the first impression was the wave of orange/grapefruit with ceder and vetiver earthy-mineral freshness which dries down so very nicely and gives it and exotic though still familiar touch that makes one feel comfortable.
    It probably has some similarities to Eau de Rochas for Men but I am not sure. In some way it just reminded me to that fragrance. This one is much richer and more sophisticated though. Warm, delicate with very clear lines. The drydown hides a special surprise: you can actually smell gunpowder in there. You really can. If to describe using colours it would actually fit the Hermes orange with brown and green tones added as well. A nice, well balanced masterpiece fitting into the precious Hermes heritage.

American Crew Classic Fragrance by American Crew

subtle, spicy, clean, masculine. i agree with those. i find it a teeeeeeny tad talcy, could be wrong, but very nice. it seems to me to be an in between scent - it's not sporty fresh like those aimed at teens and twentys+, young guys, and older man like brut or old spice. my girlfriend commented finds it masculine. For some bizarre reason, i cannot shake off an association with Indiana Jones! He's very masculine, and i imagine that if he had a cologne or aftershave that he'd go for something like this. Just imagine white dinner jacket, lots of baby snakes coming out or giant mother snake.. (was it a mother snake, or were they stuffed into it? don't snakes lay eggs? was it a mistake on the film-makers part? does it matter??) anyway, yeah, nice scent. i like it, girls like it. Dr Jones, i presume, would like it!

Black Jeans by Versace

deep, evening or winter scent. it smells to me a bit like fresh paint, but in a good way. i don't know why, but i simply can't shake off the association. i know such a comparison would probably invite rebuke and disagreement from other basenoters, but that's what what i get. very clean. Deep. you might wear it out to dinner or for formal/semi-formal occasions. could be worn daily if you liked it enough. why not. i dont wear it often. perhaps it would compliment a black shirt, or even black jeans...

Blue Jeans by Versace

A classic. Again, i cannot discern individual notes but find this scent is unique, has character and prescence (people notice it.) It's beautiful, kinda floral, almost feminine, but not too much so to deter me. Beautiful tin and bottle too..

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

Desperation may be the world's worst cologne, but this scent vies for the title. I find it disgusting - on a par, or even worst than, the likes of Brut and Old Spice. It's in the same talcy league. I bought this scent a few years ago by accident, thinking I was purchasing diesel white, and was greatly disappointed. I think I gave it to my dad - most of his stuff is musky. I can't give some eloquent speech about all the things the scent does for me, so i'll sum up my perception of it: Nasty, overbearing, cheap smelling, puke, cherries, talcum powder, warm, sickly. Like a strong waft of those dehydrated cherries you get on top of buns and VERY VERY TALCY.

Extract of West Indian Limes by Geo F Trumper

Juicy, fresh, very limey- i dont get anything else, except perhaps maybe lemon. citrus freshness. zingy. REALLY doesnt last on me. pity, cos it's a nice scent.

Green Jeans by Versace

This is probably my favourite scent. I Love pine and i love green, and for me this scent well expresses my favourite colour. it is beautiful, fresh and very unique to me. Gorgeous. lasts well on my skin, and the bottle is a work of art. i had two minis of this a few years ago, and upon reading the basenotes review of it, decided to take a look for it online. i was pleasently surprised at how well it kept (it's apparently been out of production for a while) and at first waft thought it somewhat like lemon and cinnamon. i only hope that they either re-release it, or that Pino Silvestre is an ample substitute, as a very active revier has likend the two. My girlfriend loves it too :) Two thumbs up!!

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

I love this scent, it is one of my favourites. i can't discern the individual smells that compose this scent, except to say that it is very fresh and clean. And a hit with the ladies. if i'm not very much mistaken, i heard that it's supposed to contain phermones. i've found that girls LOVE it. I've even wondered if it's true, and felt like i'm somehow 'cheating' this way, LOL! **I've noticed through reading the reviews that some guys on this site seem to be trying to use these scents to get girls. i tried that too when i was younger, but remember though, young fellas, if you're relying on a scent to attract a girl, you're way off the mark. the scent is meant to compliment you, not the other way around. the girl's gotta like you in the first place, and you have to be YOU, not 'you.' if you know what i mean. And be comfortable in yourself. that, more than any scent, is attractive. remember that desperation is the world's worst cologne, even to the extent of overpowering the most beautiful of scents, such as this one!

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

Polo mints and pine. that's what it first smelt like to me, and that's the association that i've had ever since. unique, adventurous scent, i think. it's beautiful, though perhaps more of a winter one. i think it lasts on me. gorgeous smell, a classic. i hope they don't discontinue it. ps i didnt notice the brandy smell until once, before i brought it, when i was at the im a poor student and cant afford it maybe illl get it at christmas stage, wherin i sniffed at a card, deliberating over whether or not it was worth getting. i did spray it on cards maybe twice before i bought it. the smell seemed to last on the card for a good while, and days later, i thought i could smell the brandy...

imaginativa's avatar

Emporio Armani She by Giorgio Armani

This is a perfectly femenine fragrance. Romantic. I just wish I could find the body spray again.

iMaverick's avatar

Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estée Lauder

Geez, where to start...reminds me much of Original Egoiste and Cartier Baiser du Dragon, dripping with sensuality. I find the rose note very close to the real thing, plush with a powdery and incense like nature and its clarity supported by a note of vetiver. There's chocolate, but not overpowering or confectionary but just lends a hand at making the base rounded and sensual. And just when you think it's over, there's at last 4 hours on my skin a whisper of the original Youth Dew...a musky warm spicy ambery base that wears close to the skin that drives me off the edge. This is off the chain with super sillage in the cooler air. There's a fanbase of men who feel right wearing the original Youth Dew, but I'm not one of them. Amber Nude on the other hand, is sex in a bottle that both genders can share!

Joshaugustt's avatar

Serge Nancel for Him by Serge Nancel

This was a very operpowering scent, for me. All of the individual ingredients, I like. But together, this is a very musky, heavy unpleasant scent. I'd skip this one. Joshaugustt

kewart's avatar

Casaque by Long Lost Perfume

This was originally by Jean d'Albret, and was the first perfume I fell in love with, when I spent a year in france as an Assistante. I remembered it as very feminine and floral with an aura about it that made me feel special. Long lost perfumes has almost captured the original scent, but the magic wasn't there for me and the bottles they use are boring! Still a lovely, flowery scent, but not like the first time for me.

22nd March, 2006 (Last Edited: 08th April, 2008)

Legends's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Wow. Its nice and definantly masculine but it reminds me too much of Kourous