Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Legends's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Well, its warm and classy. It just plain smells nice and it dosent offend. However, i prefer platinum just because i guess it has more kick. Or, maybe its just because the scent appeals to me more. Just be sure to try them both first before choosing one.

OlfaOmega's avatar

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A very zesty, edgy citrus. Does not strike me as femine at all. I get a subtle herbal note when it finally dries down.

sherrie11's avatar

Ambra by Etro

Someone decanted a sample of Etro Ambra for me to try. I don't care for it. I don't hate it, but it's just not my type of scent. It's too mannish for me. I wouldn't recommend it to my husband either. It reminds me of a too sweet incense I used to have years ago. I prefer subtler more complex fragrances, for both women and men.

sherrie11's avatar

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

I was surprised when I first tried Cinema because I was expecting something with a bit more personality from YSL, especially given the name and dramatic bottle. The fragrance itself was anti-climactic. But after I gave it a try I liked it. It's soft, very wearable, and there isn't much by YSL that I dislike anyway. It's almondy on me, and faint and clean. I'm giving it a thumbs up because while it's not my favorite YSL it's still a lovely fragrance. I was waffling between Cinema and the new Burberry in the gold plaid bottle at Christmas for my mother, and I ended up buying the Burberry because it had more of a punch. She would have been bored by Cinema. Cinema is easily eclipsed by more forceful fragrances, and my mother likes to make a statement with her fragrance. This is one for those who like a subtle, soft fragrance. If I owned this I would probably wear it anytime as an everyday all-purpose go-anywhere fragrance. I can't see how anybody in the immediate vicinity could take offense to it.

Black Label by Mayfair

My first scent ever. A confirmation gift of my father given to me with my first shaving kit (there wasn't much to shave then, yet). A very 60s scent, gentleman-like and British, yet not too heavy on the lavender. Unfortunately, not availale anymore in Germany but sometimes I can get samples of it at Ebay. 13 out of 15 points.

Etienne Aigner No. 2 by Etienne Aigner

One of my all time favourites, first aquired in 1984. A magic enchantement of clary sage and lavender. Whenever I smell it I feel uplifted. A true olfactoric mood enhancer. 14 out of 15 points.

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

One of my all time favourites. I first bought it in 1981 and came back to it again and again. A powdery, yet very masculine long lasting scent. Very much 80s; a reminder of times of more taste and sophistication. 14 out of 15 points.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

When first sampling Fantasy EDP, I could instantly smell yellow cake with thick sweet white icing- yummy! After you wear Fantasy for awhile the sweet yellow cake smell subsides and it smells a bit like lightly scented talcum powder (orris roots), with a touch of white chocolate. Surprisingly, my husband commented that I smelled very nice when wearing Fantasy. Note, that this was after wearing Fantasy for 2 hours, so this has good lasting power and sillage. Fantasy reminds me a little of Avon's Extraordinary and they share many of the same notes, tho Fantasy has that orchid note that gives it a good edge in my book. Plus the lasting power of the EDP is good, about 5-6 hours. The bottle design of Fantasy isn't any worse than many I've saw lately. Not great, but not bad!
    Upon further testing of Fantasy, I've gotten many compliments on how wonderful I smell. I'm still undecided as to purchasing a full size bottle.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Abercrombie & Fitch by Abercrombie & Fitch

This casual scent is watery and sharp. It is simple and straight forward, bearing no complexity or depth. Smells fresh scrubbed and squeaky clean. If you're looking to purchase a gift for a girl aged 12-17 this might be just right.

22 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Strange Accord's avatar

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

To my nose the top notes are problematic. I experience them as bergamot & lavendar; sour, bitter, turpentine, with a little sweetening. The combination always puts me off. I wonder if anyone else experiences top notes like that in this fragrance. I find that many men's fragrances have this citrus & lavender character. After the top notes dissappear, there is an oriental wood fragrance "tainted" with residual top notes.

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

Orient Extreme by Montale

I really expected to love this one, since Orientals are my thing as a rule, but no. This smelled, I kid you not, like the *unfinished base* of an Oriental perfume that I make for myself on a regular basis. It smells like there's stuff missing. Like, heart and top notes. Really, it smells like someone dropped the labdanum bottle into the perfume vat and decided to use it anyway. I like labdanum, but yeesh. There was not a drop of sweetness to this, it was all dry resin and wood. So dry that it almost had a musty, mousy odor about it. It was so unpleasant that I was considering doctoring up my arms and neck with a few drops of rose oil when I realized that it had dissipated, halfway through the day. I'm finding myself surprised that one of the florals is turning out to be my favorite Montale so far, because everything else I have tried makes me choose between beauty and longevity.

bonni's avatar

Estée Super by Estée Lauder

My grandmother was a fan of Estee Lauder products and would buy me a big bottle of perfume every year for Christmas from the time I was in my middle teens. One year it was Estee, another it was White Linen, and so on. My mother would get Cinnabar or Youth Dew (and my grandmother wore Estee, herself).

Anyway, I wore Estee regularly throughout my teens and well into my twenties, not only because I always had some on hand, but also because I genuinely liked it. After my grandmother died, I stopped wearing all but the least expensive perfumes for a long time (mostly due to lack of funds!), but now I'm collecting perfumes again and have recently revisited this once-beloved fragrance of mine.

I find that it opens with a very strong blast of florals and, I rather suspect, aldehydes (my husband didn't like the in-your-face florals much), but that settles down into a very nicely balanced, full-blown, smooth floral. It seems to be quite linear now that I try it again (something I wouldn't have noticed in my teens, heh). The only real changes I've noted are the notes fading (as top notes do).

Revisiting this fragrance is like reuniting with a long lost beloved friend. This is entirely emotional on my part, as it reminds me very much of my grandmother, but emotions aside, the fragrance is extremely nice, very classy, definitely classic.

Some folks, I'm sure, would call this an "old lady" perfume, and I can see that it certainly could be if applied a bit too liberally, but if you like a nice, strong, well-balanced full-on floral with unique and distinct character, definitely check this out.

Oh, and don't let the name "cologne" fool you. This fragrance has extremely good staying power, no matter what they're calling the dilution (I understand that many American perfumes such as this have very strong fixitives in the base in order to make them last a very long time; I don't know if that's the case with this, but it definitely LASTS).

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

I love Chanel pour Monsieur. The topnotes remind me of those old Hungary Water preparations (rosemary and bitter orange) but it's really the basenotes I like most. It's chic and uncomplicated but never boring. If you are wearing Pour Monsieur while shopping for a new fragrance, you will comeback empty handed, as modern compositions smell so unrefined and synthetic compaired to this timeless classy cologne. Pour Monsieur would be the ultimate cologne would the edt have a better lasting power, the concentrée version is almost an entirely different composion (not as good)IMHO.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I agree, one of the best of 2005.
    Though I don't find the name "Lovely" to match the composition very well. It's much more "Daring" than sweet and lovely. It has this rose-patchouli note which reminds me of L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses but also the musky rose from Maroc by Ultima II.
    Quite daring too for Coty to have chosen a chypre composition for a product with a mainstream target.
    Lovely is the best celebrity fragrance with Elizabeth Taylor's Passion (Yes! I can see your eyes rolling) IMHO.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

Sorry this is terrible.
    This must have been marketed to tweens, "I'm not a (little) girl not yet a woman". There was a time when such cheap compositions were sold only in drugstores (though drugstores also have little gems). How Elizabeth Arden dares to make something so cheap, from juice to bottle, and let people pay departement store prices for it I don't understand. It's me that must be crazy, as Fantasy sells very well...

Brit Gold by Burberry

The best in the Brit series. This one is all about basenotes, the top and heart notes are just here for decoration. Lot, lots... lots of sandelwood, add some iris and vanilla and you get a very powdery finale. KenzoFlower Oriental, Bulgari Blu Notte Woman and MyQueen lovers might also like this.
    Very good for something produced by Inter-Parfums, their creations are usually not very interesting IMHO.

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

One of my favorites. A wonderful combination of cedar, amber and pepper make this a distinctive, long-lasting scent. Perhaps a little better for winter, but truly wears well year-round.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

In the same vein of Claiborne Spark and Marc Jacobs. Not distinctive enough to make it a great scent (although I like it more than those two). Reminds me of old furniture — perhaps mahogany?

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

A definite summer scent. While unlike Burberry Brit, it strikes me in the same way, in that the wearer must be confident in the ability to wear SMW without raising an eyebrow. Could almost be considered a unisex fragrance.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Sweet and powdery. One that takes confidence to wear. I would say that it's a cologne for someone who is extremely self-aware of his wardrobe. Not quite sure why.....

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci Pour Homme is, hands-down, my favorite winter cologne. I tested Azzaro Visit today, and while it is very pleasant, it didn't have quite the depth of GPH. Actually, Azzaro Visit reminds me of a combination of GPH and Gucci Rush. Another close one is Tommy Bahama, which is reminiscent of GPH with a slight tropical angle. If anyone is familiar with the fragrance of burning piñon wood, GPH bears a striking resemblance. I live in the Southwest, where it is burned often during the winter months. When traveling in Santa Fe, you'll smell it in the air. GPH is a fantastic, distinctive, masculine fragrance.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Masculine. Woody with tobacco and slightly medicinal overtones. A very nice scent. To someone pondering M7, I would recommend trying Gucci Pour Homme first. I wear these two in winter, and find myself turning to GPH much more frequently.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

The initial spray of Marc Jacobs is pleasant, but is incredibly dull after a few short minutes. Indistinctive.

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

Reminds me of rum and raisins. Like some bizarre, indistinctive Christmas dessert.

Concord's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Scandal by Lanvin

Rich flowers on a base of the smoothest leather imaginable. Jasmine and rose with hints of spicy carnation makes up the floral bouquet, later on joined by the softness of orris. The genius of this fragrance lies in it's masterful blending. The isobutyl quinoline that makes up most of the leather note is never sharp or rubber-like as it can be in many other perfumes. I would hesitate to put Bandit in the leather chypre family. To me it's more of a floral leather. Rich, warm and sensual.

If you ever get the chance to smell this long gone masterpiece, do not hesitate. It's a crime that Scandal was discontinued.

Nude by Bill Blass

accurate descriptions so far: at first i didnt like the artificiality but it then enticed me, and seduced others! definitely modern and feminine, a liquid quality. its the preserred seduction tool of two gorgeous songstresses i know.

Coco by Chanel

a sophisticated and sensual perfume, with qualities of spice i associate with autumn and christmas time. i would imagine it on a french film star,with dark hair and red lips. actually i heard that catherine zeta jones wore it, and thats a good match.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

i didnt think i would like this, based on the description and the bottle which i found too 'old lady-ish', but it had a surprising woodsy warmth which is what i look for in a fragrance. however, like all the perfumes i like it is now harder to find ...

Chaos by Donna Karan

i am one of those who fell in love with with mysterious incense of chaos, it was soft but not too smoky and dry. incredible bottle and travel bottle that looked like a sliver in crystal. so disappointed that they made this and discontinued so soon, and its unaffordable to track down online... i am saving up what is left in my bottle, but worried it might go 'off' if i keep saving it...

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

this one is charming yet carnal,,, wet and dewy spring flowers, . a favorite among my ballerina freinds when we were young, and we usually had to go to paris to track it down.