Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

this stunning bottle is like a sphere of a fire opal. the perfume has a mouthwatering citrusy flower on top, and then softens to a milky amber, more layers than in most mainstream perfumes. i think it is an unheralded siren.
    unfortunately it is a little heavy on me and too 'perfumey', so it migrated onto my best friend...

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

the bottle is like a swaying sculpture silhouette of a slim willowlike dancer in a plum silk kimono. this fragrance was startling in its sophistication and indiviuality, then i became intoxicated. its woodsy cedar unfortunately made someone remark that it was more than the cedar of new pencils, more like a hampster cage! aaaggghhhh! i think its too elegant for typical american palette, save for a voyage to paris/morocco...

Angel by Thierry Mugler

its strong and seductive, worn by lolita temptresses of all ages. the bottle is ethereal but the scent is a provocative man-chaser! younger men in their 20s seem to like it on me...

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

stunning cobalt wrapped in silver violet disc,, a perfume of leathery incense, smoky mysterious sophisticated confident. i save it for special occasions. it reminds me of YSL's 'le smoking' fashions, a modern version of the 40s film noir stars who wore mens clothes and hair either falling over the eye or slicked back a la garconne...

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

i found this one to be soft and delicate, incense like spices merge with a purring amber base. i purchased it in a romantic alley one night venezia, and it has the qualities of a dark venetian night, stars reflecting on water, sensuality and seduction peering from behind masks...

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Hands down, THE sexiest scent I've ever had the pleasure to wear. Spray this on your clothes when you want them to ripped off, but make sure to get some on your body too so the effect still lingers after the clothes are gone. :)~

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

While at my local Barney's New York, this fragrance was referred to me by the very cute salesgirl. I expected a deep, beautiful wood, but was instead unpleasantly surprised by a harsh, sharp floral note - my nemesis, the tuberose. I sprayed some on my skin right before leaving the store, to see how it dried down and perhaps give it another try. The shrill tuberose note was present all the way through the drydown of the fragrance, and I never felt like the scent truly settled on my skin. I had to resist the urge to wash it off many times throughout the day. The name "Cedre" is highly misleading, as this is primarily a tuberose fragrance, albeit a very poorly done tuberose fragrance. If it's tuberose you're looking for, Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower is FAR superior.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I am normally not a fan of florals. I am especially not a fan of tuberose. But there's something about Carnal Flower that entices me to repeatedly smell my wrists, clothes, or anything else I may have sprayed it on. CF takes away everything unwearable about tuberose, which is IMO the harshest and most difficult to pull off of all flowers, especially for a male. The shrill, piercing quality so often attached to tuberose fragrances is all but missing, replaced instead by a soft, buttery quality. Carnal Flower excels in all the areas where Serge Lutens' Cedre failed.

fiskadoro's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Don't get me wrong - I love this stuff, but by god it stinks! When I first put this on, it's way too stinky and intenses, but give it some time and it dries down deliciously and lasts all day. You need to be ultra careful how much you use though, one tiny spray of this is all I need, otherwise I get very self-conscious of stinking to high heaven.

flee's avatar

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Starts off like burning hazelnuts then quickly calms down to a creamy hazelnut with a little honey smell. But it doesn't last long at all

flee's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Creepy. Thinking about old castles and churches and how would they smell. Like others described pde do bring that to mind. Well put together but it fade too quickly for me.

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A very clean and fresh interpretation of tuberose, and very wearable for men. Starts citrusy-spicy, then the tuberose appears and develops a smooth dominance; in the drydown a hint of musk. Quite linear, no surprising developments, just a very well-done, cool and sophisticated soliflore. Quite subtle, no big sillage, but it stays forever - detecteable even many hours after applying.

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

LouLou by Cacharel

Ahhh Lou Lou! Love the name, love the bottle, love the box it comes in... OHHH and do I ever love that luscious, sexy and magical scent of you! Lou Lou is like an elusive dream... it makes a very strong impression and yet it's so effervescent! So hard to comprehend or define, so exuberantly DIVAESQUE, so glamorous and so suggestively flamboyant!!! Lou Lou reminds me of something that Lili St. Cyr, the famous "Queen of Burlesque" would wear to entice ... I on the other hand feel like Bettie Page when I wear this ;) Mmmm just can't help myself but wave my curves suggesting flames with every step I take...

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Paul Smith London for Women by Paul Smith

The first time I sampled this ruby-red fragrance I was intoxicated by it's sexual charms and it's powerful bewitching appeal... So deep and sexy so alluring and inviting... I knew instantly that I had found the one... the most sexiest of the ruby-red fragrances made yet... There is something that is so provocative, so intriguing and so luscious about Paul Smith London that I just cannot resist it... and neither can the men in my presence when I wear it ;) Compliments just pour out... This is the BOMB!!! It's simply electrifying!!! It's creamy and lingers for a long, long, long time...

Here are the notes listed on OsMoZ.com:
    Top note : Lilac Leaves, Lime, Neroli, Anise
    Middle note : Patchouli, Jasmine, Seringa
    Base note : Green Woods, Vanilla, Heliotrope

Joel_Cairo's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

I liked the "warmed Gendarme" simplicity of the original Bvlgari PH, but found it to be a bit of a one-note-wonder: nothing but a soft clean musk with the slightest hint of tea. In keeping with the greatest elements of the Bvlgari tradition, PH Extreme remains understated, well-behaved and minimalist-feeling, but just adds a bit more body to the recipe, namely by upping the pepper. Not terribly different from the original, but to my nose, a bit better.
    and, to the best I can tell, there is no grape note here.

knightstorme's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I never thought about wearing this cologne until about a year ago when I got it for Xmas. I was kind of scared to try it. I got a lot of compliments on it. On the ladies love scale from 1-10 I give it a 8.2

knightstorme's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

I bought this cologne when it was first introduced. I it the first time I smelled it. It seems to last all day on me and it's not to strong. I have repeatedly received comments from ladies about how good it smells. This is one of the few colognes I have bought twice when I ran out. On the ladies love scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest, I give it a 9.2.

maidm's avatar

Rush by Gucci

I love it my all time favourite!

maidm's avatar

Brit Red by Burberry

Have tried this a couple of times and it's growing on me more and more. Bought the original Brit on ebay but it wasn't me sold to a friend who loves it. My favourite is Gucci Rush and it's hard to find another to top it!

mariostill's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

i just tried it yesterday and it was really amazing and clearly masculine ... it deserve trial

Blue Jeans by Versace

Well I keep hearing people say this is a very young persons fragrance well Im 26 be 27 in a few months. I don't know if that mekes me or my friends all around the same age young but we all love this one, and all the girls Ive met wearing this one from as young as 15 to as old as my grandmother love it. It seems to be one of those frags that has something that appeals to almost everyone its sweet its spicy young yet old school not to stong not to light and seems to last a long time on me and my friends anyway. I would recomend this one to everyone it casual enough to be worn on a Tshirt and jeans day yet formal enough for those Shirt and tie days and everything in between. The most versatile fragrence Ive ever owned!!!!!! So if you like an anytime frag get this one I think you'll enjoy it.

cK one by Calvin Klein

Wore It a lot in High School.....seems everyone did not a bad cologne very light and non offensive to most people. I can really smell almost a baby powder sent in it although I'm pretty sure theres no babypowder in it. It does seem to last a long time on me which is a pleasant surprise for such a soft light cologne. Anyway worth a purchase if you like soft smelling colognes.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Nothing special about this one just like the name says its a kinda cool crisp smelling cologne and thats whats so good about it. It makes no promises other then that and it lives up to it. Smells great last fairly long and for some reason even after all the years women still go crazy over it!

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I rewally like this one seems to have an ability to be casual or formal its good for almost any occasion ..... from just relaxing around the house to being at the most formal Shirt and Tie affair. I will say this don't overdo er shes strong and long lasting!!!!

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I don't really like this one but everytime I wear it I get nothing but complaments from almost every woman I come into contact with...Seems to be a real pleaser to the oposite sex and for that reason alone I'm giving it a thumbs up and the only reason I will continue to wear it!!!!!!!CHICKS DIG IT BROTHER!!!!

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I don't unerstand why so many people hate this one. I usually can see why some people wouldn't like a certain type of fragrance...but for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would hate this one except for the fact its diffrent then anything else out there, there is absolutly nothing simillar to it.And whats wrong with that? I don't wanna smell like eveyone else all the time I mean think about it every now and then it's ok to be diffrent.I will say its a very deceptive fragrance. When I first used it i put a couple of sprays on couldn't smell it so put a couple more then a couple more it was a good 8 sprays before i could get a little sent to my nose and thought this was the weakest cologne i've ever wore...... man was i wrong. Everyone could smell me coming from a mile away. I was so embarased I left school and went home that day. I still couldn't smell it on me on the walk home and didn't understand why so many people could. Then when I got undressed to get in the shower and threw my clothes on the floor and took a couple of steps away iy hit me WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems to have an aura(for lack of a better word) that doesn't have a sent for a few feet then once you pass that line its a very stong fragrance so trust me when I say 1 or 2 sprays is more then enough so theres a word of advise for anyone getting this one for the first time learn from my shame and embarasment don't over do it!!!!!!!!! It smells great(in moderation) last a long time and will make people notice you in a good way!!!!

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

I not gonna say much on this one except It smells bad and last way to long. It just stinks thats it.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I will admit this one is a bit dated and very very stong(DO NOT PUT TO MUCH ON!!!!!!!!!!) with this one the old saying has never been more true "less is more" I think that may be the reason a lot of people seem to dislike this one they either over sprayed it or know someone who did/does. But its not bad not for everyday casual use but great for special all dressed up occasions and yeah it does smell a whole lot like Christmas....don't know if a holiday can have a smell but if it can this would be it it's like Christmas in a bottle and I love that. What could be better then smelling like the best day of the year!!!!? It also has a lot of nostalgia going for it most people my age(in there 20's) remember this from the late 80's and early 90"s as the only cologne a boy should have and it really brings you back to them carefree days of youth and all that inteals. Its great get a bottle and relive all your best preteen and teen memories dances girls school oh Polo how you take me back LOL.

OP Blend by Ocean Pacific

Well its bottle looks cool anyway thats a plus. Seriously tho its not that bad of a frag. Smeels like Liquorish(or some other candy) to me. Which is weird cause I don't see any liquorish or candy notes in it....hmmmmm.....But thats the main problem with this one at least on me it smells like liquorish when its first applied and stays that way the whole time its on. Now most fragrances have diffrent smeels during the drydown not this one just one smell the whole time, it's not a big deal cause its a kinda cool nice smell just needs to be a little more interesting I guess. All in all its an OK frag very simple yet pleasing. I'll recomend it to people who dont mind smelling like a old timey candy store.

rikspector's avatar

GFT by Geo F Trumper

I finally got a bottle of GFT after having initially tried a small sample.
    I noticed similarities between it and Bowling Green. Both have strong citrusy top notes, but while GFT's is sharper,more like Lemons, Bowling Green's is sweeter with a heavier
    scent, possibly more toward orange.

It's the dry down that really emphasizes the differences, although they both become more subtle and sophisticated.
    Yes, there is something smooth and almost powdery,but it is more complex than Bowling Green.
    I find it too be quite long lasting,just not intense.
    A very comfortable scent indeed, and with a little web searching available from private sources.
    A worthy addition to anyones wardrobe.