Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

rikspector's avatar

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

I compared it to GFT by Trumper and am somewhere in the middle between ramin and levente in regard to it's scent.
    It was one of the first colognes I purchased and find it useful day or evening.
    For a scent that is discontinued,it is still readily available on many websites, out of production or not.

robyogi's avatar

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

This is one unique scent. I'm not even sure how to describe it. It starts off as a very strong spice (tons of spice in the topnotes) and mossy woods scent, not sweet but not overly dry either. I might get a little of the honey and caramel notes listed, which serve to give this some "thickness," but I wouldn't call this a honey or caramel scent. As it dries the incense base becomes more and more apparent until it is mostly incense slightly sweetened or rounded out by just the right amount of vanilla. Reading the notes I would have guessed that this might be a sweet (honey, caramel, and vanilla), almost gourmand scent, but it does not come off that way at all. I really like this scent. It's dark but not angry, sad, or brooding; it's more intellectual and classy, sophisticated, reflective, thoughtful. This is perfect for a night out at the theatre or opera house, or a nice dinner at an exclusive restaurant, or even better, an evening lecture by a renowned professor. Finally, its longevity is very good, especially considering that it has an incense base (which I usually associate with poor longevity ala Passage d'Enfer). Pure class.

Salomanda's avatar

Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal

Eau de Charlotte is the perfect fragrance when you want to feel feminine and beautiful and old-fashioned. Perfect for a brunch date.

Salomanda's avatar

Enjoy by Jean Patou

I received this as a gift and loved it at first, but it just does not work with my body...it becomes very floral and astringent on me and gives me a headache. I have this problem with most florals, I've given them up for good. It's a nice scent, just doesn't work for me.

Schlomo22's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

I personally like this fragrance. It may not be my fave, but the ladies do appreciate it which is the main goal.

Happy by Clinique

I unabashedly love Happy, so I feel I have to defend it somewhat, although I haven't worn it in quite a while. I love the whole Clinique Happy range. My husband, unfortunately, does not care for it. He says it smells ok if you want to go around smelling like a glass of juice. He's not partial to fruity/citric scents anyway. But when I was wearing Happy several years ago I always received compliments on it, especially when layered with the body lotion, which I recall was emollient, so was good on the skin and not just perfumey. The fragrance just seems to work well on me. I found that it actually lasted, and it turned sweet and fresh on my skin. Yes, it's unsophisticated, uncomplicated and lacking mystery. I don't find it totally flat or uninteresting, however. And I don't get the connection to JPG Classique, which I own and wear, but I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison. That's an interesting point tho' and one I will try some day when I'm out gandering about the dept store perfume counters. Anyway, Happy's freshness and simplicity is exactly what I enjoy sometimes. It's sunny and uplifting and puts me in a good mood.

L'Origan by Coty

A nice person sent me a sample of L'Origan, I think it was vintage. Oaf that I am, I couldn't appreciate it. I tried it on my skin but it didn't work for me. It was too strange to my nose. It smelled clovey and medicinal, and very dry. Its powderiness was like the dust of a century. I can see its relation to Mitsouko, actually, rather than L'heure Bleue. I would never wear L'Origan. I can, however, appreciate its strange echoes from the time of Gustav Klimt. It must have been quite avant garde in its day.

Vanilla Musk by Coty

Truly not bad at all for a cheapie, but I had to give mine away. The sandalwood predominates on me - I mean total sandalwood that doesn't let up - and it makes me queasy after a while. Still, it's one of the few inexpensive drugstore fragrances that doesn't smell cheesy, imo. There used to be more of them, but most seem have been changed for the worse, alas.

Honeysuckle Splash by Estée Lauder

Yuck, I had this and gave it away, probably threw it away. It smelled like some old guy's hair tonic!

Jessica McClintock by Jessica McClintock

As a white flower lover, I think this fragrance is perfectly fine. I wore it for a while back in the 90's. It's very girly-girly, fresh and feminine. But I become bored by lily-of-the-valley as a perfume. I prefer it in shower gel or soap, which is refreshing like a spring rain. Actually, I like it best from my back yard in May! :-) Jessica McClintock is sweet and innocent and has that fresh airy muguet scent, what I think of as a young girl's scent. Very spring-like.

Krazy Krizia by Krizia

I had a mini of this some time in the late 90's and really enjoyed using it up. It was a warm vanilla-woody fragrance. You can still find it online. It would probably be more current now than it was back in the 90's.

Trouble by Boucheron

I like Trouble. When I tested it, it reminded me of Allure, but smoother and more mellow, not as harsh to my nose as Allure. And the bottle with the original serpent cap was great. I like scents that have cedar in them, but I didn't detect a heavy hit of cedar (as in Moschino Couture, for example), nor did I get root beer, and I've read that elsewhere, too, that it smells like root beer. I got more of a soft, custardy lemon-vanilla on my skin. I never think to put this on my wish list, however, and I don't know why. It's a very nice fragrance.

Helmut Lang Woman by Helmut Lang

absolutely delicious. I loved it when it first came out and saved my money for a big bottle. I sensuous and sexy, has notes that remind me of Santa Maria Novella Heliotropo and Agent Provacateur, although more vanilla in HL.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

In order to truly appreciate this fragrance's "in your face" avant-garde ness i think you have to put it in context...imagine 1994. this smells like 1994. More specifically it smells like Comme des Garcons fashion circa 1994. Finding a unique and somewhat outlandish moment between traditional arts and a vivid imagination...spices, remixed, minus the comfort.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Mass in a Glass. good for all us recovering catholics who want the smells and bells minus the confession.

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Hooray. Hooray I say because i can smell something like a mixture of baklawa and tea, but not so foody that i want to eat myself or feel like wretching...and the rose! it's so SOFT! it actually smells like ROSE and not like pot pourri. And even better...they have it in full size bottles now on Lucky Scent. Oh JOY.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Wood Coffee by Comme des Garçons

I am going to disagree with everyone...i really liked this. It started off gently spicy and then left me with a dry down that really was subtle...it didn't smell like perfume. it honestly smelled as if i had stuck my wrist in a bag of espresso several hours after putting a very nice perfume on. I really like its warm unperfume perfume smell. THis is my favourite of the series, easily, along with nomad tea.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Sticky Cake by Comme des Garçons

I have to say i am shocked. I hate to be totally contradictory to calchic, but i really really hated this one. I don't know if it's something in my personal history but of all the series 7 scents this was the one i had to wash off...it smelled like something you would find in a drug store for a "sophisticated" teenager only longer lasting because of course the ingredients are better. ugh. I found it to be quite strong too. not that i gave it much time to sink in.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Burnt Sugar by Comme des Garçons

sweet swweet swwweet/ I smelled it in the phial and thought: aaah. this is lovely. balanced. delicious. put it on and almost passed out from the sweetness. fortunately it developed into something a bit more complex, but for my money Nomad Tea or Wood Coffee are much better from this series.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Wonderfleur (original) by Mark

Wonderfleur to me, as calchic mentioned isn't one that will really move you to hate or love it. It's just there. Not bad, not great, not long lasting. I don't think it's strong at all. This would probably be nice for a very young girl maybe 9-14, as it is very nondescript. I think on the person with the right chemistry this might be nicer.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Coco by Chanel

Coco was the first fragrance I bought and it was also my signature scent for the next ten years so I have a very special relationship with it. I didn't wear it for a couple of years but have revisited it every now and then and have now found my old flame again!

If I let my mind roam free, my associations are: Mediterranean women, orange blossom wreaths worn by brides, black, leather, Tiffany lamps, candlelight, chandeliers, heavy gold bracelets, full-bodied oaky red wine, black coffee, dark bittersweet chocolate, Spanish brandy...

Like most of my favourite fragrances Coco is full of contradictions. In this case they could be summed up as: Spartan simplicity vs. Baroque. Coco is like the simplest possible Little Black Dress worn with the most barbaric gold jewellery. Coco is traditional, even conservative, but it has its wild side, too...

Timeless by Avon

I've loved this fragrance for 32 years! When I was a young girl it was considered to be too "old" and "sexy" for me by my mother, but I bought it regularly from my teen years until I was in my mid-30s. Why on earth don't I have a bottle now? I need to get one. Timeless is ambery, sexy, slightly powdery, and actually quite elegant for an incredibly inexpensive fragrance. It has a Classic feel that I really enjoy.

Rare Gold by Avon

I wore this when I met my husband, too! It was one of my favorite fragrances ever, when it first came out, and I wore it for a few years. I had the deodorant, shower gel, lotion, and all the fun stuff Avon makes for its scents. Avon has definitely changed the formulation of Rare Gold, and not for the better. The original Rare Gold was ambery-warm-sexy-orangeblossomy-vanilla, and was a beautiful fragrance. It's still pretty, but it seems watered down.

Pink Suede by Avon

Pink Suede smelled like sweet peas rotting in a brand new car on a 110 degree day. I wanted to crawl out of my skin when I tried this, and, just my luck, the lasting power is great. I couldn't wash the stuff off. I like some leathery fragrances, but I don't like ones that smell like new shoes. I'm sure this is nice on others.

Wanderlust Super-fume by Perfume of Life

Wanderlust is a beautiful, beautiful rose fragrance. Elegant, lovely, feminine, classic. Its lasting power is wonderful, its sillage is perfect, and it makes me smell the world through a rose-colored glow. Wanderlust is sweet, but in a fresh floral way, not candy-like or sugary. This isn't a Victorian-type powdery rose, or a role soliflore at all. It's along the lines of Ombre Rose, Quelques Roses, Caron Rose, Anna Sui Original, Victoria's Secret Victoria...just a beautiful, elegant rose fragrance. I am so glad I've found this one! If you enjoyed Ombre Rose, do give Wanderlust a try. I think you'll be thrilled!

Strange Accord's avatar

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Amazing fragrance; another Malle stunner.

Has a delightful basso profundo top note. For me the cedar "basenote" comes into play almost immediately. A bit of smoke at the top.

After the top,the fragrance quiets as it enters the heart.

Would be a great men's fragrance. (A great relief from the tediously overused men's bergamot & lavendar combo, although, this does have a bit of bergamot at the top.)

Well constructed and handsome (the fragrance, that is). "Tasteful" without being conservative. Smells "confident." For a man who has the opportunity to wear fragrance to work, a touch of this would be wonderful.

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

Each time I experience this aroma, it always leaves my senses wanting more. I find myself inhaling deeper to prolong the subtle enjoyment of this fragrance. This is a perfume I never get tired of smelling. Jil Sander N ° 4 is a perfect balance of sweetness and warmth, strength and softness, subtlety and distinctiveness... It begins with a burst of sweet carnations and ambery notes. Ylang Ylang then takes over without breaking any rhythm and blends into musky vanilla. Like the taste of honey melting in your mouth, the smell lingers softly with tonka bean and sandalwood, without loosing any substance. Finally the last note, rose, combines together a perfect harmony and chemistry.

Jil Sander Woman Pure (new) by Jil Sander

This fragrance lacks any kind of backbone or organic heart one would come to expect from the house of Sander. The nose can't recognize it's family. Not spicy enougn to be a citrus. But too airy to be called an earthy type. And not enough lift to be a floral... The lasting power of this fragrance lives no longer than 1/2 hr., if that. One might as well spray themselves w/ honey water if they wanted their eau de toilette to last until lunch hour.

Miracle by Lancôme

I actually find this frangrance quite invigorating and alluring. A very strong floral, yes, but the drydown is what makes it a fine fragrance. Woodsy and smoky... with a bit of dusty nostalgia and 1920's cigar cherry flavor. I find myself smiling with delight when I experience this fragrance. This cologne reminds me of my auncle "Roger" and his scent... how he smelled like when I caught a whif of his smoky-- cherry tabacco scented knitt cardigan.