Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Ayala's avatar

Black Rose by Goya

The most incredible and unexpected birthday present I received was vintage Black Rose by Goya. It came in a cute
    little matchbox with a dark rose. Only 1/3 of the perfume is still there (about 1ml at the most I think). And it’s smells heavenly of dark burgundy rose, almost black petaled, almost dry yet fragrant than ever. The scent is quite old, and becomes faint after an hour or so, so I cannot give you very accurate impressions of the base. Overall, it is similar to Nuit de Noel, only with the rose being the theme, and less the dry Saxon moss. The base is slightly mossy, perhaps with civet and amber, only that it is not sweet. But the top to middle notes are divine and rosy, like tucking your nose in a cushion of dark petals.

24 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2006)

Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9

Inspired by great "Grande Dame" aldehydic fragrances of the 50s and 60s like Madame Rochas, Calèche, Magie and Climat. It's very well constructed and very elegant.
    The name suits the fragrance very well. I can already imagine those rich Upper East Side ladies in their Oscar de la Renta dresses at a benefit at the Metropolitan Museum.

Fashion Avenue by Bond No. 9

Very soft and talc-like. For someone who is looking for an innocent fragrance. I can imagine this very well on children, maybe a little girl's first fragrance.
    They should have called it Eloise, like the Eloise in the Kay Thompson books.

Central Park by Bond No. 9

A more complex version of Jo Malone's Lime, Basil and Mandarin? A refined casual fragrance.

christykat's avatar

Hawaiian Ginger by Calgon

Mmm, I first smelled this at the gym - I had to ask the girl what fragrance she was wearing she smelled so good. I was pleasantly surprised that it was something so cheap! I can always recognize it when someone has it on; it's light and fruity, very summery and fresh, but it wears off pretty fast.

flee's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Dzing does kinda smell like something alive at first. Its very different and special. I wanna buy a full bottle then I said no that's ok. But its growing on me and I'm loving it more and more. So it looks like I'm buying dzing when I get a chance. Its a special frag

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Rush for Men by Gucci

This fragrance is waaaaayyyyy too woody smelling. So woody that you cant smell anything else. I tested a bottle of this stuff and was really disappointed. Kind of like a bunch of pureed wood and cinnamon mixed together. You have to spray and spray and spray to get any kind of long lasting fragrance out of this one. Envy for Men by Gucci is one of the greatest colognes ever made and then they come up with this weird stuff? It does smell faintly of decay, but smells mostly dirty and piney. I think a Chevron station smells better. Just go ahead and avoid this one, it's not really worth trying. I hate the bottle also. This is one of the WORST scents EVER!!! Yeck!!!

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Anglomania by Vivienne Westwood

With a name like Anglomania you'd expect a young, funky, high-spirited fragrance... One that would grab any man by his shirt collar pull him seductively close and kiss him deeply with ruby-red lips, the color of the bottle... But, Anglomania is far from that... she is more subdued on me, no not shy really, not hidden either, but not BOLD & ADVENTUROUS as I'd have hopped it would be. Just really subtle in a very sexy way... At first when you spray it, it's full of promise... promise to deliver just that... ADVENTURE & FUN! Something like a collision of Mars and Venus... Like the electricity that two bodies in love create while falling in love...LOUD!!!! Like a crack of thunder! But, after about 2 hours, (maybe not even that long), Anglomania (once full of promise), turns into a little cozy fluffy bunny! Yep a fluffy BUNNY! No kidding! It becomes all gentleness and softness and... OHhh wait! I think I'm starting to get the picture here... LOL as I'm writing this... wow what a perfect scent for a first date... You spray some of this on as you get out of the car to meet that special man... and while you may come off as BOLD and Ravishing in the beginning of the evening and you show your tigress-wild side to him, by the end of the evening you are a little bunny which he cannot help but want to love... Well maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part... but I can actually see how this could work LOL And while I may not have found my perfect CRAZY, wild, all out, scent I have found something far more interesting... hmmm perhaps a secret weapon even... on the other hand, I may just have found the right CRAZY, WILD fragrance that I can spray on when I go out with my fiance and have a great time out... but on the way home... he'll have only one thing on his mind ;)

Godeke_Michels's avatar

Joop! Jump by Joop!

Radiant, sweet, stylish - this one certainly is no wallflower! I love its cool kind of sensuality. Wear it now - it might be completely out of fashion ten years later!

lefay's avatar

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Lovely, classic, and sophisticated, with no hard edges. A gorgeous and timeless leather chypre with floral, green, woody, and powdery notes. Wish I had discovered this years ago!

mariostill's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

too powdery smell .. reminded me of rexona non-alcoholic deodorants .. but I like that smell

mobyv's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

probably a great scent on some. for me it had wonderful top notes that quickly mellowed to the smell of a good chewing tobacco.

sherrie11's avatar

Miss Me by Stella Cadente

Nordstrom gave me a couple of samples. It smelled rather synthetic and plasticky to me. Made me feel a little queasy.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

In Gaultier 2 I smell ambergris, musk and vanilla. Also this has a sweet, creamy and powdery violet balsamic finish. Honey isn't listed as one of the notes of Gaultier 2, but I seem to get a hint of honey too.

Gaultier 2 strikes me as a more feminine oriental, than a unisex scent. The idea I've read was for this to be a scent for a couple to share, not necessarily unisex.

Gaultier 2 stays pretty much the same from first spray till it wears off, which it lasts a long time. Actually, to me Gaultier 2 smells very similiar to Creed's Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie, only Gaultier 2 is sweeter and more balsamic. Also, I smell the honey note that's in L'Instant. Which is strange because they really don't share many similiar notes. I've not completely decided whether I will purchase a full size bottle after I'm done with my deluxe sample atomizer as I find it less interesting than its similiar counterparts such as Youth Dew Amber Nude, L'Instant and the Creed Jasmin Imp. Eugenie. I will update, it might just grow on me!

Tovah's avatar

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Miami Glo is fun, warm, and happy. It smells like Spring Break in a warm climate after a cold, gray winter. It's bright, uplifing, and full of tropical fruit notes, but it doesn't smell like sticky Mai Tais. The lasting power is outstanding and puts other fragrances to shame. It's a wonderul fragrance that I'm really going to enjoy in the coming hot months.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Pheromone by Marilyn Miglin

I find takemyhusbandplz's review very interesting! Neat to know those bits of fragrance trivia...anyways...Pheromone is not for me either. Very different blend. If you are not a real flower lover, this might work very well for you. It's been around since 1978, so I gather there are many fans.

wicozani's avatar

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

Why in the world am I not wearing Nicole Miller for Men more often? This is an amazing, unique scent that I just have to get another bottle of to serve as a backup. This fruity (presents me with an "orangy" effect), boozy, leathery, slightly sweet, sandalwood, oakmoss, and musk elixir is incredibly comforting to wear, perfectly balancing opposites as has already been noted. Nicole Miller for Men strikes me as a cross between Michael for Men (or D'Orsay Le Dandy) and Trussardi Uomo, all other scents I really like as well. However, Nicole Miller for Men is unique enough not to be duplicitous with these. Really, really nice! Get it while it's still available!

Wicozani

Adriano's avatar

Versus Time for Action by Versace

Wonderful scent! The true fresh surge of energy.

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

Maja by Myrurgia

Lovely, green, herbal and powdery at once. Right up until the kerosene odor comes in. I almost was really liking this one. :(

blah114's avatar

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

Absolutely amazing cologne. It changes througout the day, to a spicier scent. It's simply the "safest" fragrance for men I have ever smelled, but at the same time, it's so pleasing. Amazing stuff. In my top 5 and that's saying a lot considering my love for Creed, Chanel, and Santa Maria Novella.

blah114's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Amazing stuff. I think it is quite fresh. And it's not that high priced, either. It may smell like other fragrances, I am unsure, but it lasts forever. It's a very fresh fragrance which lasts a long time. Amazing stuff, high quality. You can get a tester of this from scentiments.com for much cheaper than Mugler.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

I got this cologne and was impressed. TBH I wasn't expecting much at first but then it hit me... It's fruity yes but it's pretty easy to wear. In fact out of everything in my wardrobe this is the one girls go crazy for the most - go figure! After seeing the comments even my guy friends have asked me about it. Unfortunately now it's all over the place - kinda like my circle's Aqua di Gio lol. Great longevity too.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

This is my favorite gourmand. Received it as a gift from my gf. Never fails to get a good reaction and it's quite different. I think of it as a much better Rochas Man (another favorite) - which is not very detectable on me for some weird reason. Anyways def an A+...

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

Alright here's my disclaimer... because of my work I received a bottle for free lol. That being said I tried it as a joke. WOW!!! I went out right after I tried it on and got tons of compliments (from only 2 squirts). I personally can't stand Paris Hilton but to be honest if it were a different mass-market name it would have much wider appeal and def more popular. I don't think many guys 25+ would be caught dead with this in their cabinet. This is more for the high school/college crowd. Longevity was even pretty good on me too.

Gaz's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

An elegant and beautiful fragrance that strikes me as more for the sophisticted lady as opposed to a male fragrance which could explain why so many women love it.

Gaz's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Caron state that Pour Un Homme was the very first fragrance ever created for men. It is certainly highly distinctive with a balanced, almost 'herbal' and quite intoxicating kick. A good every day 'business' fragrance and one that few others will be wearing. Good investment.

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Not bad choice for summer, but i wouldnt wear this. I dont like such a simple fresh fragrances, there's something better for me like Angel Schlesser Homme.

Angel Schlesser Homme by Angel Schlesser

My absolute favorite for summer. Smells like beautiful forrest after rain in the sunny summer day. Very clean, very natural, very unique, very refreshing.

Starwalker by Montblanc

Very nice fragrance, interesting blend of freshness and spices, good alternative to all fresh scents. Quite unique, though not ground breaking, cleen, with a little sweetness.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Starwalker by Montblanc

I agree with the review below that says "this fragrance is not as original as Presence". But...that said...I really enjoyed it. It is spicy and sweet and perfect for the summer.I've become a big fan of Mont Blanc and this is another good addition to this line of fragrance. Joshaugustt