Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

I don't understand why Armani's fragances aren't higher rated! Some of them are really fantastic, in my opinion. This one is really fresh and beautiful, and the only fragance with Lilly of the Valley that I like. This note feels all the time during the drydown. Stays on quite long, too. Easy to wear, perfect for every-day-use, beautiful enough for evenings during spring and summer.

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Jaguar (new) by Jaguar

I find this fragance really nice, not at all worth the negative reviewes! It's not the most beautiful fragance around, but it is really well done, and sort of classic and clean. It's not a common fragance, either. Balanced, comforing and longlasting. A very good every-day-fragance. Some of the writers call it a summerfragance, but I think it works all year. Love it on my husband!

Naed_Nitram's avatar

GrigioPerla by La Perla

Seeping from its black container, a fairly sharp green opening. The best is yet to come: green turns to smooth and distinguished grey, velvety and soapy. Another fine Italian gentleman.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

Visiting my friend Marcel in his sanatorium the other day, I was accompanied by his valet Andre. Andre had thoughtfully brought his ailing master a bottle of Rochas Man as a gift but I feared the worst.
    'Andre,' I suggested, 'do you not perhaps feel that the sweet, rich gourmand fumes of Rochas Man might prove a little too much for Monsieur Marcel? I am in good health but, even so, I find the concatenation of flavours contained in Rochas Man rather sickly and jarring. I fear that Marcel, in his overwrought state of nervous debility, could well suffer a relapse at the merest whiff of such a perfume.'
    'No worries, Monsieur Nitram,' Andre reassured me, 'it'll buck him up no end. Everyone knows that Rochas Man is the only Rochas fragrance that can make your actual girlies gurgle. One squirt of the old scenteroony and Monsieur Marcel will be right as rain, fighting off the nurses and the lady doctors. Hubba hubba, Doctor Dora, care for a saunter down the old Palais de Danse? Know what I mean, Monsieur Nitram? It'll be a real tonic!'
    My fears, alas, were soon confirmed: at the first whiff of Rochas Man, Marcel's pale features convulsed with horror and he fainted clean away. 'Oh well,' said Andre philosophically, 'you win some, you lose some. Perhaps what he really needed was a drop of the old Lolita Lempicka?'

Quarry's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Picture this: The sun is shining down hotly on an otherwise coolish day. I lay my leather handbag on a sunny outdoor cafe table and order a cup of hot black tea. While waiting for my beverage, I pull a Sharpie marker out of my sun-softened leather handbag and scribble a little note. The ink's unnatural smell wafts about me slightly as the teacup is set in front of me. I put away the marker and add sugar to the steaming black tea. This is Dzing!
    I'm grateful to the reviewers who mentioned Bulgari Black (which I had a slight fondness for) because this reference stirred me to hunt down a sample of Dzing! Bulgari Black gets boring where Dzing! holds one's interest. Pleasant, mild, I don't think this will edge out Black Vetyver Cafe or New Haarlem from my wardrobe, but you can never predict these things for sure.

snikersprincess's avatar

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

I only bought this because I was experimenting with pheremones. I was pleasantly suprised. I dident think it would be as nice as it was. More fruity than I usually like. Very light, so you could probably layer it easily. And, actually- I thought the staying power was great! It was still fresh after 5 hours. And in the morning my clothes still had the scent. If you like Victoria Secret perfumes than you'll like this, I garentee. It smells alot like VS stuff.---- I dont know if the pheramones did much, but I did get some nice complaments over the course of the night.

Live by Jennifer Lopez

If you look at the notes listed above you could easily guess that Live is a very different type of fragrance from what it is. I know I was quite surprised by it. Live is not a fruit punch/ tropical drink/wear-for-fun scent, as I expected it to be (based on its notes and other J.Lopez fragrances). I enjoy some dessert type fun fragrances, so I am confident in saying that Live does not belong in that category. It's a beautifully balanced blend that simply creates a lovely fragrance. To me, it's rather elegant. I couldn't resist it and I had to have it. I can smell some pineapple, and the way it blends with vanilla and sandalwood is amazing. The most stunning thing about Live for me is its uniqueness among other fragrances. I can find similarities in many fragrances, but nothing I know of smells like Live. It stands out, and attracts. If you're looking for something lovely and unusual, give Live a try.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I've come so, so close to buying this, and I'm surprised that I don't own it yet. Unfortunately every time I've tried it I've gotten a raging headache, so I'm afraid something in Lovely causes it. I'm not ready to give up on Lovely yet, though. Lovely is often compared to Narciso Rodriguez For Her (I own NR edp) but they're not very similar on my skin. On me, Lovely has a clean patchouli base and bright notes of fresh lavender flowers and apple schnapps. The lasting power is terrific, and this fragrance feels classy. It may just be worth the headache!

Love at First Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This is a very, very pretty fragrance that will be especially nice with a white sundress and strappy sandals. I can see wearing this on hot summer nights, and also as a cheerful daytime scent. Jennifer Lopez seems always to hit the mark when it comes to "feel-good" fragrances, and Love at First Glow inspires a happy mood. To my nose this is an inviting, sweet, fresh floral that dries down to a peachy-jasminy-rosy blend. I believe it will be thoroughly enjoyed by many. Those who like Ibiza Hippie, Maybe Baby, Incanto Dream, Escada Sentiment, or Very Irresistible should give this one a sniff. I'm willing to bet lots of lovers will be buying this for their significant others. It's the kind of fragrance that invites a kiss and a bouquet of flowers.

V'E Versace by Versace

This is the EdP version that says EXTRAIT CALAMAIO. It is bottled in a 1/2 oz glass bottled and encased in a beautiful acrylic case. Bought it back in 1991. I think this was a limited release scent. One word: Luxurious! They don't make it like this anymore for sure! Smooth,flowery and completely wearable for an EdP. Appropriate for both day and evening scent. Very feminine yet super super sexy! Quality and class all the way!!!!!!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I liked it when it first came out. I can't stand it anymore! I don't find the smell of coffee,chocolote and vanilla sexy at all, especially on a man! This scent is totally effimate and girls find it a little, well, girly on a guy. Memorable just because people think that you just marinade yourself in a coffee and cotton candy bathe. They won't remember you because you smelled sexy. Stuffy,sickly sweet, and sinus blasting vile juice!

Envy for Men by Gucci

Got it when it first made its appearance. Nothing special, a little too sharp and heady for me.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros,nothing like it! Such a memorable scent! Sweet,sexy and sweaty! The smell of sweat might be foul to some but if that person is a gorgeous girl, Hmmmmmm, sexy!!!!!! Kouros is that sweaty, sexy, and gorgeous girl! A little off-putting but just can't get enough!

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

If it is so terrible, then how come it became 2004 Basenote Award winner? It's good for what it is. Fresh, uplifting, and airy. Very casual and wearable. Perfect for dining al-fresco in Santa Monica Promenade or Sunset boulevard in the summer or late spring. Oh yah, and girls love it!

Ballardbeau's avatar

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

No substance?

Good lord. Love it or hate it, there IS a scent here..dense, different, heavy, and way, way off the beaten path. Count me as a fan.

Eau de Badian by L'Occitane

this cologne needs to be longer lasting.. great scent though.. all the girls at school love it

JHL by Aramis

im 16 and i recently came apon a small container of JHL at my grandparents house, and at first i had no clue what type of perfume it was.. all i knew was it is the best cologne i have ever smelt ever... it seems to make sense that it was created in 1982 and discontinued since i've never heard of it before. I experimented with wearing it to school, all the girls absolutely love it... and when they ask i have to unfortuneatly say it was discontinued... please bring it back.. the chicks dig it!!

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

dude.. i have to say i never really wore abercrombie before, but this is one of the most premium yet affordable (only 20$) colognes that ive ever bought,which makes it unbelievably great for any teenager who wants to pick up chicks.. it is true the store smells like this stuff.. whoever came up with this one is makin the big bucks... highly recommended for hot beach bodied guys.. if ur overweight i don't think u should wear it, plus u probably won't fit into any A&F clothes..

Clayton's avatar

Bonfire by Demeter Fragrance Library

A wood smoke fragrance marred throughout most of its short lifespan by boiled hot dogs. Once the wieners have faded, however, you are left with an attentuated simulation of having just come from standing around the campfire.

Clayton's avatar

Humidor by Demeter Fragrance Library

Pretty much as advertised: a cigar, unlit, sweet, and humid. It opens with a baked apple angle that recalls a hookah more than a humidor, then gets somewhat chocolatey as it fades. On me, the longevity is considerably better than most of the flash-in-the-pan Demeters -- perhaps 4 hours, tops.

flee's avatar

Candie's Men by Candie's

I first smelled this in a magazine. I had to get it and wasnt happy at all. The notes don't flow smooth its like when you spray it on, the notes start fighting with each other. Smells like a hand full of frags all mixed in 1 bottle.

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

This smells fabulous! This is one out of only two that I like from the chanel line. It is refined and gentleman-like but can also be comforting and embrace confidence and sophistication.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

Lush fruity-spicy combination which clearly stands out from most female scents. Fruit and spice, appearantly nothing could be more unusual, yet this one creates the feeling of space and light. At the same time addictive, quizzical and
    multi-layered like Fellini's timeless film bearing the same title. A siren like Anita Ekberg luring men into the theatrical, elaborate, magnificent universe like baroque Rome- the perfect scent to wear for a midnight swim in the Fontana di Trevi.

26 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2009)

Cool Water by Davidoff

Much too mass-markt and unimaginative. Tough i usually enjoy marine scents, this one rather alludes to very watered-down herbal tea, to antiseptic medicine. Besides the lasting power is very substandard and the allround impression is that of a neutral scent with nothing special about it- 99% of cheap supermarket smells are similar to this, only much better and more valu for money. Typical teenager scent, trying to be hip and conformistic at the expense of good taste and high quality. Besides, it tends to become, alongside with a few others, a cologne that so many people wear, that it becomes far too commonplace. Snobbish failure with agressive, but tastless marketing and undeserved succes.

Culture by Tabac by Mäurer & Wirtz

Pleasant, slighly lighter and more playful interpretation of a classic. Even if i mostly avoid modern versions of classics, this one is the true exception. It manages to smell modern and quite provocative, yet not excluding a very classy, lush old-school attitude.

Eruption Man by Mäurer & Wirtz

Ridiculously cheap yet very exquisite, you woldn't guess that it was affordable. Leathery, ambery, woody notes, somewhat reminding of Farenheit. Very masculine, yet discreet, clean, even a little conservative, the essence of both timeless and effortless elegance at an almost too good to be true cost.

Good Life by Davidoff

The very name is unsuitable, because it made me believe that this one is a scent reminding of conservative, comfortable, even luxurious and slightly extravagant country-club, old money lifestyle, like Polo, many scents by Burberry's, Old Spice, Eau Sauvage, Knize Ten and other basics, yet comparing all these masterpieces to Good Life is a blasphemy and completely out of place. And i'm not biased against Davidoff scents, even if i hate Cool Water with the same devotion, i truly enjoy Relax and Zino. But this one is so esentially 1998, the year in which it was launched- a time when metrosexuality was not yet a mass pehnomenon, yet all the male scents had to be fruity and flowery in an obscene way and all the males had to be blonde, feminine, long-haired, vapid, childlishly cute sunnyboys and exhaling a half trashy, half corny Lolita-esque sexiness. It is for them, not for the males over 35 which return to the essential, basic values in life, inspite of what the ad and the concept are stating, that this perfume is for. Davidoff should be ashamed of tricking young and often immature generartion into buying pure exploitation, pure camp and supermarket quality scents. This one is obscenely sweet, that it nauseates- and i don't dislike sweet male scents for instance, Boss Bottled is sweet yet an artwork. Too many misplaced notes of fruit, of vanilla, of a huge lack of freshness and coolness essential for a male scent. It doesn't smell clean either, but overblown with heavy, unbearable intoxication. Maybe syrup or a desert should smell like this, yet in a male fragrance it is the worst idea.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

A timeless basic in a wardrobe like...grey flannel, especially a grey flannel suit. Slightly green notes, the powdery notes being counterbalanced by zesty, juicy citrus before becoming too overwhelming. Plesant cedar and mossy touches towards the end- the carefully rounded, almost iconic expression of flawless manhood and exquisite fashion consciousness. Let's hope they won't discontinue this one, like they did unrightfully to many classics.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Oh...they say don't imitate innovate: this truly was an innovation of bad taste reinvented. The "dude" among scents, far too superficial and easygoing in order to be taken serious. Horrid colour, unpleasant smell with overdone tones of apple and artficial, ill-smelling apple pie. The only good thing about it is the bottle, quite an interesting concept for that time. But ever since it appeared it has become even more shallow due to its undeserved succes. Unless you want to film a sequel or spinoff to " Dude where is my car?", avoid it. Feels like if Miss Sixty suddenly started to mass-produce male scents.

Knize Ten by Knize

Legendary almost like No.5 by Chanel launched two years earlier. Exhales timeless class and excessive, conspicuous roaring twenties extravagance at the same time. First, it gave me the impression of sitting in a church, as the notes of incense were too powerful and spicy. But once these notes evaporated it left the most long-lasting, unforgettable impression of precious leather and citrus notes- which is pretty much what i love and crave for in every male scent, and also slight touches of very refined tobacco and cedar. It smells like Belle Epoque Vienna, a both conservative and bohemian capital of fashion, culture and lavish lifestyle, a city which combines the riches and sophistication of both West and Orient. So get your formal wear ready and head for the annual ball held in the Viennese Opera wearing this one-you can't go wrong. Easy recognizable yet no-nonsense multilayer artwork. Even the bottle is a masterpiece.

26 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2009)