Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

Sculpture Homme by Nikos

first i was dazzled by the commercial, the box and the bottle, especially because, when it first came out, it was considered one of the most high-end, sophisicated and trendy male scents. However its allround value for money is fairly poor, as it smells too synthetic at a cost that would have led me to expect only the best of the best. Luckily, as time went by after it was first launched, the craze and obsession around it calmed down. Strangely, it is not allround a bad scent, but far too abstract and too little masculine, being quite indecisive, not knowing what the designer had in mind creating this.

LoneFish's avatar
    LoneFish

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

I love this, it smells manly and grassy, and I may detect a cumin note which is quite interesting.

Magnifiscent's avatar
    Magnifiscent

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

After having tested GFT and Sandalwood cologne, which actually hadn't catch my attention, this was quite a nice surprise. Starting with a booze blast of green and citrus notes, it reveals the eucris heart note: hearty but chipre, floral yet dry. It dries down to a very manly scent remembering old books with dried bitter herbs inside, drenched in extra aged cuban rhum. It has something classy yet coarse that well fit a man. Definitely not for the boys.

Margareta's avatar
    Margareta
    Sweden Sweden

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

Less sweet than other new-released fruity variations of already exisiting perfumes. This one is really elegant! Better than the original, in my opinion, more "loud", yet fresh. The bottle - well, perhaps not the most beautiful, but really easy to bring along on travels. Thumbs up for this fresh fruity fragance.

MissCourtney's avatar
    MissCourtney

Fantasy by Britney Spears

The fragrance: Terrible!
    The bottle : Sweety
    But I don't can't spend money for a bottle.

Mr_T's avatar
    Mr_T

Nikos by Nikos

Very shortly after application, I can detect a rather smooth cherry note evolving, mixed with some cinnamon. I think it's a perfect blend. I agree with the other reviewers in that it's a gourmand scent, but due to its sublety and warmth, it creates a very sexy and exotic aura that I'm sure most people will find a pleasure to experience. Wonderful fragrance, but be careful not to put on too much, otherwise it might become slightly cloying. I'd say two sprays should be sufficient. On my skin, it's quite long-lasting, and as time passes, it becomes even more subtle and completely merges with my natural fragrance to make it even more intoxicating. I can only highly recommend this fabulous fragrance!

Aspen for Men by Coty

Ahh good old Aspen. One of the first frags I bought for myself. Well this frag is simple so I'll keep my review simple . Smeels green and woodsy and last a decent time. Thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar by Coty

This one is hard for me to describe It's very sweet but very soft to. I find it more simillar to those body sprays people are all buying today. Thats not ment to be a degrading argument. I like most of those body sprays...just a cologne or perfume should last a little longer and be a little louder then a $3 bodyspray. Thank god it's not to expensive cause if you like it you'll go through a lot of it reapplying 2 or 3 times a day! Does anyone else notice that this one and another one by cody called Universo smell exactly the same thats why ill use this same review for that one too!

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

What can I say about this one that hasn't allready been said. Well it's a very masculine smell..real heavy on the musk but its not bad. It does remind me somewhat of an old English Gentlemen's frag. I will disagree with people saying it's stong and last longing. On me it starts out strong but gets very light smelling in a matter of about 1/2 hour and my skin seems to just eat it away I find it doesn't last for more then 1&1/2 to 2 hours.

California for Men by Dana

I like this one it's very light smelling and fresh and does seem to last a fair lenght of time on me. Nothing spectacular just a nice simple cologne good for casual wear!

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

I really like this one. It is a little heavy maybe too heavy for casual or office wear but perfect for a formal night out with that special someone. It smells realy good very classic smeels of leather and musk(musk is overpowering at first but dries down real nice in a matter of minutes) and last for hours.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I first got this one. I was so ust to frags like CKone and all those softer frags from the 90's that I put it on like I would put CKone on 3 or 4 good sparys....man I stunk and in my cologne induced haze I blamed the joop I thought it smelled horrible!!!! but I recently tried it again and applied one little spray...way better still very powerful and long lasting but not offensive. I think the reason a lot of people don't like it is because they either used to much or smelled it on someone who did but used correctly its a very nice smell. It really does smell like candy to me gut for some reason I also smell a bit of a tobacco in it even tho theres no tobacco notes in it.

Mackie for Men by Bob Mackie

It's Ok. Seems to smell a lot like Eternity to me. I do find it smells a ittle sour at the tail end of its drydown tho, but thats not a big deal just reapply a bit after a couple of hours. It does last a long time for being such a soft frag...all in all it's a good one but not great.

Raw Vanilla by Coty

I really liked this one when I first got it but as I wore it It just seem to get very plain to me. So I stopped wearing it. I recently bougt a couple o bottles on sale real real cheap and wore it again. The same applies it smells allright last a good time just very plain all I smell is vanilla and musk.... but then again thats what it's suppose to smell like so I'm giving it a thumbs up just for being true to itself and not trying to be anything else! so to speak. So if you like vanilla and musk this is perfect for you!

Universo by Coty

Read my review for Avatar smeels exactly the same. I think Coty just changed the bottle!

Wings for Men by Wings

Nice fresh and clean smelling frag with just the right amount of sweetness and it last a good long time I loves it!!!!!!!!

Xeryus by Givenchy

I don't like it smells like medicine to me. I just don't like it . On the plus side it seems to last a long time.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I really don't know how to describe this one except it's real sweet. I almost think it smells like a sugar coated watermellon with just a hint of spices(eat your heart out Martha Stewart)Seriously tho its real sweet last a long time and I love it!

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I agree that this one has similarities with Pi and maybe Lolita Lempicka - it's kind of sweet, warm, round, and easy-to-wear. I don't get powder at all and I don't get animalic in any way. It's vanillic and slightly spicy, sort of a warm oriental that does not resemble the original's synthetic air sanitizer smell in any discernible way...that in itself is worthy of a thumbs-up review! It lasts well too. YSL should have given this one its own name.

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

Starts off pretty good, fresh, but also interesting and somewhat distinctive. Then it dries down to something similar, but weaker, than its namesake, that god-awful public restroom concoction that causes so much commotion. This one too smells like a public restroom, but with a worn out air sanitizer - a weak synthetic, chemical, disinfectant odor. Nothing special, nothing controversial, just fake and kind of boring.

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

While I am impressed with how much like saffron L'Artisan has managed to make this smell, I am also a little repulsed by the smell of it. There's something about saffron that just does not work as a fragrance for me. This one smells like a sweetened rendition of paella, or maybe saffron flan - something I might like to eat, but not wear. On the plus side, it does seem to last longer than most L'Artisans I have tried.

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Starts off with a sharp hot pepper note that soon picks up a warm, sweet milky base. If you were to take Safran Troublant, remove the saffron and replace it with hot pepper, I think this is what you would get. It doesn't last very long, nor does it project much, but for what it is, it is nice. One of the few "foody" scents that I have liked.

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Blech! Smells like a bell pepper. Really. I don't get it. I don't think there's much else to this one, just raw bell pepper. It may be short-lived, but for my tastes, it lasts too long. Odd, but holds nothing of interest to me.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Well, 6 months later and it's time to eat crow yet again. I spent some more time with Timbuktu and must say that my opinion has changed significantly from that of my earlier review. With no other scent - save for Acier Aluminium - have I had such an about-face turn-about. I read my earlier review and wonder how I did not smell the fruit in this, especially in the topnotes, but persisting lightly throughout, as well as the peppery tingle. In fact, at times there is something herbal, almost minty, floating around within Timbuktu. What before smelled like plain charred wood to my nose now smells like burning incense and wood.

My opinion of this scent vis-a-vis Passage d'Enfer is that this is the more exotic, tribal incense, while Pd'E is the more traditional "churchy" incense, as in Roman Catholic Church. Pd'E smells more effeminate to this nose, probably because of the lilies, while Timbuktu smells like a masculine, almost rustic, potion concocted by a female tribal elder. Interesting and even intoxicating, I've found that when it mingles with my clothes I get nearly day-long longevity from it as well. And while it doesn't develop as much as a Lutens or Villoresi scent, in this case that is a good thing. It would not be the same if the slightly and lightly sweet fruit note were to vanish altogether.

26 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2006)

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

What follows is an attempt to sort out some of the confusion that seems to exist over the various incarnations of Annick Goutal’s *Eau d’Hadrien* along with a review of *Eau d’Hadrien* and *Hadrien Absolu*:

The men's EDT version is named *Eau d’Hadrien*
    The men's EDP version is named *Hadrien Absolu*
    The women's EDT version is named *Eau d’Hadrien*
    The women's EDP version is named *Eau d’Hadrien EDP*

Both men’s versions come in square bottles, the women’s in somewhat oval shaped, fluted bottles.

The men’s EDT juice is identical to the women’s EDT juice, and the men’s EDP juice (*Hadrien Absolu*) is identical to the women’s EDP, except that it is colored a little more yellowish than its female counterpart, *Eau d'Hadrien EDP*, but as far as the scent goes, the men’s and women’s EDT and EDP versions are identical. *Eau d’Hadrien* in it’s EDT and EDP formulations, despite it’s demarcation into different shaped bottles for men and women and different names, has always been considered a unisex fragrance. The fragrance takes it name after the Roman Emperor Hadrian, Hadrien in French, who reigned from 117 to 138.

*Eau d’Hadrien* certainly is a fleeting fragrance, as attested to by many of the reviewers below. *Hadrien Absolu*, on the contrary, lasts a very long time for a citrus based scent; although, it should be noted, it always stays close to the skin. *Hadrien Absolu* can still be detected up to six to eight hours after the initial few sprays, as opposed to the EDT, which lasts (on this reviewer, at least) an hour and a half to two hours, maximum, but, even then, what an hour and a half to two hours. A word of warning, though: *Hadrien Absolu* is not merely a stronger version of *Eau d’Hadrien*; rather, it’s a reformulation of *Eau d’Hadrien* as I explain below.

The first thing one notices about *Eau d’Hadrien* is its pared down structure when compared to most other fragrances: citrus (lemon, grapefruit, and citron), ylang ylang, and cypress, but what an amazing and amazingly simple combination. It’s such a sparsely constructed fragrance with a truly Mediterranean elegance to it. It’s the same kind of elegance in simplicity you find for instance in a meal of fresh, pan-fried fish seasoned with salt, cracked pepper, and lemon juice in the myriad little sea-side taverns one finds spotted all over the Mediterranean world. Anyone who’s had the good fortune to have such a meal, can’t help but be impressed with the minimalist approach to flavoring, which paradoxically produces such intense and clearly demarcated flavors that still manage to work, magically, as a whole. It’s the Mediterranean ethos––doing much with little. I tend to think of *Eau d’Hadrien* in this way and of all of Annick Goutal’s creations in this way for that matter. They are truly Mediterranean in their uncompromising use of essential, top quality ingredients and in their simplicity of construction. They do much with very little.

Now to the differences between the EDT and EDP versions: The cypress in the EDT formulation is more pronounced than it is in the EDP/Absolu version and this is what gives the EDT its characteristic woodsy spiciness. It’s a fresh, slightly herbaceous woodsy spiciness that works beautifully with the minimalist pairing of citrus and ylang ylang.

In the Absolu/EDP version, the ylang ylang is more prominent, and the pure citrus oils are a lot more concentrated, and while the ylang ylang is intensified, the cypress is muted (substantially, actually, if one thinks about it). In the *Hadrien Absolu* formulation, the more prominent ylang ylang note works harmoniously with the citrus and the cypress to produce a very beguiling bitterness. I am always amazed how the clean, sour edges of the citrus and the bitter, heady rotundity of the ylang ylang compliment each and keep the acerbic elements of the overall accord in check in the *Absolu* formulation. Like the EDT version, it’s a masterpiece of the careful, assured blending of elemental ingredients. In this saccharin world of mass-produced, ubiquitous, and artificial fruit flavors, it’s a truly refreshing scent as is the EDT. Unlike many other recent so-called citrus scents, both *Eau d’Hadrien* and *Hadrien Absolu* manage to remain unmuddled by any sweet notes. Sometimes, I turn to them when my palette has become cluttered and jaded with too many scents. There is a bracing, clarifying astringency to them that also adds to their appeal.

On reflection, I would classify *Eau d’Hadrien* as a citrus woodsy fragrance with a slight floral edge and *Hadrien Absolu* as a citrus floral with a slight woodsy edge.

A few words of warning though: overspraying *Hadrien Absolu* will bring out the oxygen-consuming headiness of the ylang ylang, which will then overwhelm you. I have found that wearing both the EDT and EDP versions together, with a minimum of two good decent sprays of the *Hadrien Absolu* and about 8 to 10 sprays of the *Eau d'Hadrien* works really well and allows one to enjoy the best of both worlds. If you decide to wear *Hadrien Absolu* alone, go lightly on the number of sprays, two to three at the most.

Finally, with the exception of the opening notes of *Signoricci 2*, there is probably no more ethereal and divine citrus experience than *Eau d’Hadrien*, but as with all things ethereal and divine, we should not expect to be able to hold on to them too firmly. Enjoy the moment of *Eau d’Hadrien* even if it is brief. In it’s beauty, it is, after all, like all beautiful transient things of this world, an intimation of mortality, perhaps even of immortality.

Philosykos by Diptyque

*Philosykos* starts of with a vegetal leafy greenness that is persistently but unobtrusively astringent and that captures better the complexity and totality of the fig tree's various scent possibilities--fruit, wood, and leaves--than any of the other fig fragrance on the market. While many fig-based fragrances can often seem leaden, the figginess of *Philosykos* is, from start to finish, handled with such aplomb, with such a lightness of touch that one marvels at how it simultaneously manages to remain fully present yet understated. The only other master perfumer who does this consistently with ingredients is Jean-Claude Ellena--I am thinking especially of the vetiver note in his Vétiver Tonka--and, yes, Olivia Giacobetti was already, IMO, when she created *Philosykos* at the age of twenty three a master perfumer. It’s remarkable to consider that just two years earlier, at the age of twenty one, she had created another marvel, the first truly fig-based fragrance, L’Artisan Parfumeur’s *Premier Figuier*, her first major fragrance if I’m not mistaken.

As the initial top notes of *Philosykos* dry out, the middle notes reveal a fig accord that is rounded off with a hint of creaminess that some have a called a “coconut” note. While there’s certainly no coconut oil present in *Philosykos*--it smell nothing like those highly aromatic sun tanning lotions loaded with “coconut” fragrance--“coconut” is a good descriptor of this particular type of creaminess which functions in *Philosykos* to keep the leafy astringency in check. Early into the middle note phase of the drydown, there also appears what some have called a “peach note”, though I tend to experience it more as a nectarine note, which, like the coconut note, functions to keep the leafy astringency in check but also keeps the fig note buoyant and stops it from becoming leaden and oily as tends to happen in many less deftly handled fig-based fragrances.

Well into the drydown, the astringent vegetal figginess begins to abate and is replaced by a basenote accord that’s light and sunny, musky and figgy at the same time, but it’s a muskiness that's not really derived from any animal musk; it's more of a non-animalic white musk, but even that’s not a sufficient description; it’s not really a white musk. One might even go so far as to say that it’s more of a fully mellowed out figgy lavender note, without any of lavender’s sharpness present; that is, it smells only like the memory of a beautiful fully mellowed-out lavender note with traces of fig. I am thinking, here, especially of the way D’Orsay’s *Arome 3* lavender note mellows out to become something more than just the aromatic sharpness of the initial lavender. *Philosykos’ drydown is a lot of things, but more than anything else it’s joyous, transparent, and transcendent.

Finally, don’t look for the white cedar (Thuja occidentalis) listed in Diptyque’s official description of this scent to make an appearance in the basenotes. White cedar is nothing like the Texas Cedar or Atlas Cedar notes that are used frequently in men’s fragrances as standard basenotes. White cedar, or cedar leaf oil as it is commonly known, can be pungent and balsamic, bitter, sharp and fresh, and even camphoraceous. It is a principle ingredient in Vicks Vap-O-Rub©. The white cedar is more than likely used to give complexity and amplitude to fig note effects in *Philosykos*, which achieves such effects so artlessly. Such an achievement is even more laudable when one remembers that there is no such thing as fig essential oil or even fig leaf oil. Fig leaves are abrasive and sticky and have a sappy, milky liquid in them that is an irritant, and they don't smell figgy at all. In fact, figs themselves don’t smell figgy. The tend to have a bland, barely detectable vegetal smell to them. It’s only in the preserving of figs in jams that the aroma we identify as a fig is brought out and intensified, and so it’s important to note that the complex fig note one smells in *Philosykos* is a marvel of aromachemical invention and Olivia Giacobetti’s art, and *Philosykos* is the paragon of such invention and art.

While science and art are definitely behind the genesis of this paragon, the experience of *Philosykos* is the experience of Nature, of airy, fleeting summer fruit and vegetal greenness softened, mellowed, transfigured, purified, and made white by late afternoon Mediterranean wind and sun. It is the fig tree, its fruit, and its leaves magically transformed into breath.

L'Oranger Neroli by L'Occitane

They are two product under L'Occitane's L'Oranger rubric, L'Oranger *Orange Leaves Eau de Cologne* and L'Oranger *Neroli EDP*. They are two entirely different fragrances. The review that follows is a review of L'Oranger *Neroli EDP*.

L’Occitane *Neroli EDP* is the least L’Occitane of the L’Occitane range, which typically contains pleasant, competently-made, quality fragrances based on a larger than usually percentage of natural ingredients. They’re mostly well-crafted fragrances, but they’re definitely not what you’d call edgy. L’Occitane’s *Neroli EDP*, however, is edgy; it’s very edgy. It begins with a very sensuous, decidedly floral, and feminine neroli note. What is the difference, you might well ask, between a feminine and masculine neroli note? I see the difference as follows: a masculine neroli note is one you find in the “barbershop” renditions of neroli such as Penhaligon’s *Castile*, or Czech & Speake’s *Neroli*. In these two fragrances, the neroli note has the freshness and lightness of orange flower water and a syrupy thick viscous “nosefeel”. It’s always a buoyant, happy, and clarion note, uplifting and refreshing. A feminine neroli note is decidedly more dense, without being syrupy and has an exotic, even otherworldly feel to it. It’s has a thinner and more complex, even prickly, nose-feel than its masculine counterpart; it has a more ether-like, elevated floral component, which is dense and heady and which approximates the heavy, floral, ether-like, headache producing quality of some higher grades of ylang ylang essential oil.

The neroli in L’Occitane’s L'Oranger *Neroli EDP* is edgy in the sense that it pushes one’s olfactory responses to the edge with an oriental-like sharp, bitter, but vibrant exoticness which is accentuated by a very thin, exceedingly dry, non-resinous cedarwood kind of note with which it is interlaced and which persists well into the drydown, as does the neroli note, which still remains discernible in the drydown when its edgy, ether-like qualities abate and are subsumed into a coumarin prominent, quieter, powdery, tonka bean and dry cedar finish. It’s really beautiful and intoxicating in an impressively weighty, sensual way, and it has incredible sillage and longevity. In this sense, it begins to approximate the qualities of parfum. A word of warning at this point: go very easy with this one. More than 2 or 3 sprays and the fragrance will become unbearable on the wearer. As I said earlier, it’s very un-L’Occitane like, and it’s quite spectacular. When you’ve reached this level of art, questions about whether it’s actually a women’s fragrance or a man’s fragrance fail to apply. It’s both, and like all true works of art, it’s universal.

Somedude's avatar
    Somedude

Pi by Givenchy

I went out to a shopping centre after church and went to the department store that was moving. Went to the discounted perfumes, found Pi and sprayed once on my hand, and it opened pretty generic, IMO. However, the Midnotes were horrible. I took a gamble and bought it anyways, since it was so cheap. Half an hour later I smelt my hand, and it was magic! Quite sweet and vanillic. I didn't want to wash my hand afterwards!

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

The green notes and pine in Private Collection are too pungent for my senses. Ayala's review is superb, and I think I know the "bug" she's refering to. When I was growing up, we called it a 'stink bug' (ha!) I guess it is an appropriate moniker. {Lauder's Alliage has this same effect for me.} I like Private Collection so much better after the drydown! It is truly a CLASSY elixir! I used to know a woman who's signature scent was PC - her business was in the fashion world and she was always dressed to perfection! She was a true socialite, and whenever I smell this fragrance her image is immediately brought to mind! For this reason, I have never felt comfortable wearing PC, although I find it to be an absolute wonder!

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

A real grown up floral. All about the sillage - it's just right! I really get the lilies and peonies here too! Pleasures is the snowy floral perfection that Gucci's Envy Me (pink) and McClintock's Number 3 failed to attain. The balance from top to bottom is exquisite! For the many floral notes this fragrance contains it never comes off too sweet, too powdery or too dry. Lauder fans and foes should give this one a try, it's very wearable.

26 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2008)