Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I can't imagine who's 'fantasy' this might be.....
    Willie Wonka's???? Disgustingly sweet.

Touch for Women by Burberry

This scent starts off too strong, then it dissolves into almost nothing. I prefer something that starts off nice, continues with nice, and slowly ends nicely.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

This is such a lovely perfume. It's warm and creamy and very womanly. It's not overpowering and neither does it challenge too much, yet it remains unique in my mind. It's subtle enough that it won't revolt people who might not like it enormously, yet rich enough that it can't be ignored.

Happy by Clinique

You can never put an age limit on any citrus or clean based perfume! They go well with everyone, and happy has been good for a ton of women.

Miracle by Lancôme

I love this scent, but it doesn't last. I bought the body cream and it is gone soon after it is applied. I don't know if it is my chemistry, but the lighter scents aren't working for me.

Margareta's avatar

Crystal Noir by Versace

Crystal Noir's name is very well chosen. It's an oriental-floral, who turns out dark and very clear, not at all powdery or velvet. Crystal-clear, one can say... It is very longlasting, too. I am very fond of this fragance. The bottle, who is beautiful, is made by almost black glass, so it can stand on my chest of drawers, I don't have to hide it from day-light. This is an extra plus.

Update 2011: Still in my wardrobe after five years. I am still very fond of it. I guess it is Crystal Noir's clear darknes I just love! Perhaps the best dark perfume on my skin!

26 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2011)

baron's avatar

Rush for Men by Gucci

So good! The opening is such a brash and impolite blast of dry cedar that I can see why people have the initial adverse reaction. If one just waits a few minutes it all sorts itself out beautifully into a milky warm glow with lovely balance. Really one of the great drydowns I've ever experienced.

This is the first scent I bought, the one that led me into this hobby. Sevaral years later, my nose has developed considerably but my affection for this hasn't diminished one bit.

bonni's avatar

Curious by Britney Spears

Really surprised by this one. I absolutely detest Fantasy (cupcakes in a lolly shop, ugh), but this one is really very nice.

Lovely soft, sweet creamy florals and a note of Anjou pear, with a base of vanilla-musk. It's not too sweet, the florals are pretty and nicely balanced, and overall, I think it's a really well done perfume.

As for the bottle, I don't think they get much more fabulous than this.

Faucet188's avatar

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Unlike other reviewers this perfume does not remind me of garish colors. It has a warm feeling to it- a bit doughy on my skin, and most definitely feminine. I was on the fence for a while about it I didn't find it edgy but it feels comfortable on and exudes a subtle flavor. It is not as sharp as carnal flower and not as young as En Passent. I am harkened back to the lovely smell of Chanel Lipsticks and this makes me smile at the thought of it.

Hugh Parsons (Blue) by Hugh Parsons

A somewhat spicy, aromatic, fresh scent, I would guess. Hugh Parsons opens with a citrus / berry / pepper accord that is clean, a bit too sharp, aromatic, and not really unique. It’s a bit of a messy opening, but, fortunately, the opening doesn’t represent the rest of the fragrance: in fact, the slight mess is the complete opposite of the rest of the fragrance which is refined, discreet, and elegant. Hugh parsons Traditional Blue is a light fragrance that offers a desirable complexity and movement that make the middle and base levels worth waiting for. With the heart notes, Hugh Parsons Blue takes on the clean ambiance of a subtle angelica, cardamom, and juniper. The angelica is perfect, the cardamom doesn’t exhibit any of its wayward bodily emittance potentialities, and the juniper is just a tiny bit too strong to my nose. It is a dry accord, rich but not strong, and a bit aromatic. It an excellently refined accord that signifies taste and quiet sophistication. The base follows with a smooth, subtle wood / ambergris that is captivating and superbly wearable.

Except for the first ten minutes of the opening, all the accords are balanced and refined, and the individual notes are quite clear and natural. The freshly cleaned shirt image fits this fragrance quite well: I find that Hugh Parsons Traditional beautifully serves the same purpose as the understated and excellent scents such as Gendarme and Bvlgari Pour Homme – scents to use on those occasions when a high quality, discreet fragrance is the order of the day. It’s quiet cleanliness made it one of my most worn scents when I lived in East Asia, and it is still one of my favorite subtle scents after all these years. (Edit of March 27, 2006 review)

27 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Scott McClintock by Jessica McClintock

To my nose, the herbaceous notes dominate this fragrance for much of its movement. The opening citrus lasts only a short time and then the spices join with the herbaceous notes to create a pleasant and comfortable ambiance. In its heart, the fragrance reminds me a bit of Carolina Herrera’s 212. In the dry down, the wood, musk and moss at first stay in the background to provide a rich depth, and then they gradually blossom to dominance in a full wonderful traditional base. There’s not a lot of sillage with this fragrance—but it does have body and presence on the skin. The richness and balance of the dry down alone earns this fragrance a thumbs up—it is excellent. Very good longevity.

Society Men by Society Parfums

Top: bergamot, lime, neroli, apple
    Mid: patchouli, rose, teakwood
    Base: vanilla, musk, labdanum

A nice fragrance—quite good considering how inexpensive as it is. The citrus / fruit opening is tempered by the patchouli and wood from the heart. The floral center isn’t very floral—I can’t determine the rose that is supposed to be in there, but it is a comfortable floral / wood accord that is pleasantly without synthetic undertones. The base quietly finishes the scent off with a pleasant, slightly sweet musky accord. Society is a restrained and gentle fragrance. It would work very well for someone who wants a pleasant, masculine, non-synthetic, non-aggressive ambiance without spending a lot of money.

Vanilla Fields by Coty

Although I love the scent, it is not a good perfume. I have a sentimental conection-a relative who is dearly departed bought it for me. I also go a lot of compliments when I wore it. But as an Eau de Cologne, it has zilch staying power and isn't very well made. Try Kenzo Flower parfum for a powdery floral vanilla.

Les Belles de Ricci - Liberté Acidulée / Liberty Fizz by Nina Ricci

I love, love , LOVED this when I first got it in 1996.The tomato leaf smells fresh on the skin, and the berry notes appealed to me at the time. That said, I now tire of the synthetic fruit notes and the minimal staying power. So I would have given in a thumbs up 10 years ago, but it's neutral for me now.
    If you're through with vanilla, ocean and citrus perfumes, however, this is decidedly different. I'd recommend trying before buying.

Les Belles de Ricci - Amour d'Amandier / Almond Amour by Nina Ricci

I'm in like, not in love with this one. What I like most isn't what's in: it's what the perfumers left out. There is no fake caramel-vanilla candy apple gourmand stuff going on here. I like those smells, but so many perfumes go to the exremes.

OK, what does it smell like? Almond blossoms. There's a smell of almond extract, white flowers, and soft fruits. I bought it for springtime, since I love rich smells but wanted smoething light. I bought this without smelling it first, yet I'm quite pleased. It's practical and functional, especially for summer. Staying power is medium. Is it sensational? No. It's a workhorse, like black flats.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I recently bought the EDP. I always thought of it as OLP-"Old-lady perfume!" But it's like many things in life, you can grow into it. It's not for everyone. The time to try it is when you have an open mind, yet really know what you like. I smelled it with my husband, and we both had the same reaction: a singular, heavy tuberose top note, so-so. Then, boom! This exquisite garden of jasmine almost magically appeared. I (and he) couldn't stop smelling it on my wrist after that. The drydown was wonderful. The staying power is super-long.

This is the kind of perfume that I'd respect, even if I didn't like it. I happen to really like it, so I'm happy I gave it another try. Time to smell some other OLP's!

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

Vanille Banane by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Delicious! This warm bananery scent smells more like banana cream or banana dessert then the fruit. It's sugary and reminds me of freshly baked banana cake.

When I wear this even my guy friends tell me I smell good enough to eat. This is a casual scent to be worn around friends who know what you're like though because someone I didn't know commented on how strange it was to smell like a banana whereas my friends know how cooki I can be.

The staying power is okay too. On me it lasts about 5 hours and I have oily skin which is supposed to retain scents best.

Definately one to at least try, unless you hate bananas..

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I love it! It is the best scent to convey appeal. It is still a trend-setter. The sillage of the floral, leathery esscense leaves a trail unmistakeable in todays market of clones. It is special to me as it provokes fond memories. A must have!

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I was left feeling indifferent about this one. I did not love it and did not hate it. I got a spicy amber scent with a hint of musk. Thats about it. Perhaps I missed something and more testing is needed but I was not moved enough to propagate another testing. I will not own this.

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is my favorite JC Ellena creation. It starts out kinda airy and soapy fresh and that subtle mineralic hint reminescent of a wet stone covered in moss diffuses through to yeild a brillant masterpiece!

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

My Favorite vetiver is Creed 1948. This FM VE would be my third perhaps. It is a little bit raunchy for my liking but overal not a bad fragrance. Although this will most likely not get any wear from me, I will still give it a thumbs up.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

This is my fav Hermes by far! It is so unique and fresh. I love that fig note in the center of mint. Overall, this fragrance is very green, fresh, and exciting!

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is an instant classic! RG and Jazz are my two absolute favorites from this house and I cannot be forced to pick the better. Rive Gauche is the epitomy of mystery, class, and sexiness. The star anise gives it that deep, dark character reminescent of those 80's powerhouse fragrances. In aa world of whispy, arid fragrances, this new modern classic is refreshing and a winner indeed!

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

I did not like this at all. It was sickly sweet. I am not a mango fan in fragrances. There was no need in this creation. Even worse, I hate papaya in fragrances as well.

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Aristocratic hostility at it's finest. I can honestly say this is the only fragrance with a true adversarial character, you really feel superior when wearing it, and almost despise the simpletons around you. Of course I'm exagerating here, but in fact 2 of my friends have commented upon Blenheim saying it almost frightens them in a way. There's something about the zesty citrus in the opening that fools you into thinking this is just another Eau Sauvage copy, but BB is infinitely more complex. The lemon, which btw is masterfull in this fizzy & slightly bitter rendition, hangs around much longer than in ordinary colognes and melts into the smokey, antagonistic base of deep pine. A little spice (cardamom or cumin?)adds even more dimension, but it is that very english pine that makes this Penhaligon really stand out - giving it it's chilling edge. I really don't want to scare anyone off with this review, BB is a fantastic fragrance, but use it wisely - perhaps during a hostile corporate takeover, heated debates about the tragic demise of the great commonwealth or after winning your local cricket-championship (^o^).

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Extremely refreshing summer-cologne type of launch from the jewelcrazy italians. As extreme and over the top as their watches and jewelry may be (nicknamed Vulgari by some...) as subtle and refined are most of their fragrances. And this one is no exception. Smells very much of the african red tea Rooibos, an accord hard to describe, but I`d say it's somewhat dry and with a irony touch. The same vibe can be found in some of Comme de Garcons reds, and Eau Parfumee au The Rouge could easily be a part of that series. Some vanilla in the base makes it linger longer than most offerings in this concentration. Completely agree with Marlen's whine comaprison as well. Could become a summer staple.

Jako by Lagerfeld

I positively like this fragrance. It starts off very uniquely - slightly fruity and fresh, but in such a different way. It smells very elegant and distinctive, is not overpowering and has tremedous allure. I almost feel intoxicated when I catch a whiff. After having worn it for a while, the fragrance evolves into something smoky and mysterious. Very different from the initial impression. Could almost be mistaken for a cigar-like smell, but certainly a very refined one. It most definitely has longevity, but once the basenotes have come out, it stays rather close to the skin. I can only recommend this fine fragrance to anyone.

Himalaya by Creed

I must admit that I hated this fragrance at first when I sampled it and I thought it was a huge mistake to let the sales assistant spray some of it on my skin, but as I wandered on and let it settle and checked back later just to reconfirm that I disliked it, I was completely astonished by how much it has changed on my skin in the meantime and how pleasant it has become. I find that this is the case with most Creeds anyway. You really need to try them on your skin and let them settle to observe what a drastic change the fragrances go through. Overall, I think Himalaya is a very light, slightly peppery fragrance that has some dominant tea notes in it, which can be worn at any time of the day and in any season. Probably summer would be the season of choice for most people, given its light aura, but make no mistake, it's extremely long-lasting. I really don't understand how some people find that it fades away quickly, as on my skin it stays on from morning until late at night and I can't even detect a fade of potency after many hours of wear. It's quite distinctive and connoisseurs would immediately recognise what you're wearing, especially given that it has that certain Creed house note in it.

Scent Intense by Costume National

All I can say is that this is the most perfect fragrance ever created. So very sensual and alluring, so unique. I've never smelt anything like it. It's dark in the sense that it's very ambery and incensey, while slightly fruity, and it's complex and intriguing at the same time. It must contain many more notes than the ones mentioned by Basenotes, since it just feels so much more complex than that. I feel so good when I wear this fragrance but it unfortunately distracts me all the time because I just want to smell it all day long. So wonderful. Words can't even describe it, just go ahead and try it and you'll know what I mean. You won't be disappointed.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Quite different from the rest, that's for sure. There is something sensual and mysterious about it. Perhaps slightly metallic at first, but fruity and sensual very soon thereafter; it's a wonderful fragrance that you can wear in all situations and one that will certainly be noticed by others. Very good for nights out. I don't agree with some of the other reviews that claimed it's tacky and synthetic. Not at all in my opinion. Perhaps an "arty" scent that is just different. But I highly recommend it anyway.