Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

iMaverick's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

Ah, Shalimar...as a younger bloke, smelling it for the first time reminded me of baby oil and talcum powder. Nothing remarkable to think otherwise other that it's a classic that every SA tried to sell me on occasions for my mother's birthday/Christmas present. Smelling it today and actually smelling it on my skin doesn't indicate a cross-gendered preference in scent at all. Since it seems to magnify certain basenotes in male oriental compositions today, there's even no mistaking that one or more of the same essences were combined in the classic Habit Rouge of the house. A masculine scent is subjective these days, and I have no fear of wearing Shalimar in the sense that it could be mistaken for an ultra feminine oriental.

Sadly my only gripe is that it doesn't carry the full longevity of the scent as with all scents produced these days. You just have to be happy that it's still around and that you perhaps carry the bottle with you to spray on yourself every 2-3 hours. Spraying it even on the warmest parts of my body still left the scent lacking severely after a couple of hours.

Unfortunately, there will always be the gender mindset, but for as long as Shalimar will be produced, I'll wear it, and my girlfriend will be forced to wear Kouros for men (haha), but ironically there wouldn't be anything wrong with the scenario. To each his own.

Inessa's avatar

Neiges by Lise Watier

Neiges is a lovely, quite original fragrance from the Canadian brand Lise Watier - 'neiges' which means 'snow' in French - does smell like snow, at least the headnotes quickly transport you to an open field covered by snow on a cold yet sunny day. A bit later, the fragrance becomes powdery and you detect a bouquet of white flowers, namely hyacinth, lily-of-the-valley, jasmine, magnolia, orange blossom etc. The drydown is quite musky. The overall impression - romantic, feminine, clean and sophisticated enough to be worn on special occasions.

jude_c's avatar

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

Good stuff no doubt. Really nothing not to like. Unique and very strong lasts forever and a day. Not that interesting of a smell though, but no one would regret buying it. Smells very very good, but not all that interesting - like ungaro III, Yatagan, Antaeus, etc. Laguna is a very solid cologne. But not groundbreaking. But how many really are?

kewart's avatar

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

This is a little gem! An initial fruity burst of sparkling bergamot, mandarin and peach gently melds with a floral bouquet of ylang ylang and jasmine then finally relaxes into a warm blend of amber, patchouli and precious woods.
    This perfume makes me feel happy and revitalised.
    It is like a precious stone that slowly reveals its many glittering facets; Mauboussin is also a jewellers in Paris, which may explain the connection. Try it - you won't be disappointed I'm sure.

knightowl's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

Get Lalique (the lion) instead of Heritage. Less stuffy and much more modern!

Fleur de Rocaille by Caron

Fleur de Rocaille (1993) is one of my most favorite fragrances! It is a complex flowery bouquet with a touch of green at the top...dries down to a comfortable feminine veil of softness. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! When I wear this 'I feel pretty, oh so pretty' (ha!) Seriously, I spritz this one on and feel like a million bucks! Just like when you find the perfect pumps and matching handbag for a brand new spring ensemble...fantastic! Caron is simply the best.

Lady Caron by Caron

First I'd like to say Lady Caron is a wonderful tribute to the United States and it's symbol of her founding principals - The Statue of Liberty. (Also known as "Lady Liberty") This limited edition was launched in the year 2000, and it has come to be one of the most requested fragrances of Caron.

The scent itself is quite sweet with magnolia dominating. Jasmine is right up there at the top as well. The heartnotes are a bit softer and less sweet, but never really balance out the predominant top. After drydown, I was left with a 'green' essence - too sharp for my taste. None the less, this chypre is delightful and may be most enjoyable in the warmer months when a little sweet freshness goes a long way.

Pour Une Femme (new) by Caron

The packaging of this fragrance reminds me of Youth Dew's bottle, by Estee Lauder. This one is not a personal favorite. At first whiff my senses were bombarded by a strong medicinal smell. Probably benzoin. I don't know why perfumers use this stuff. Must be a reason beyond my comprehension. Anyway, as the drydown goes - it melted quickly into a heavy amber resin that merely layed upon my skin. I cannot wear this one. It is not my fragrance in any way. With all that being said...it IS Caron...so I defer to the reputation of this design house and give it a neutral rating.

Angélique Encens by Creed

The first time I tried this scent evolved into a 'gamey' sort of baby powder on me...weird. I've since re-visited Angelique Encens and find it quite unique & interesting. It is powdery, with the vanillic/almond overture of angelica. There is a subtle incense in the base that doesn't exactly 'trip my trigger', and blame it as the culprit for my not purchasing this frag. AE is difficult to find as well. For my own personal taste/chemistry, Guerlain's Angelique Noire is a better presentation of angelica - sans incense. I cannot fault this Creed though, it is at least worthy of a test run!

03 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This scent is very nice! Understated and manly in a modern way. Got a sample for my husband, it was a good fragrance on him however, there was no staying power...his body seemed to 'soak it up' he had to keep re-applying. Would put us in the poor house to try and keep him smelling like GIT!!! If you are one for a VERY subtle scent or new to the world of men's fragrance this could be just right for you!

Miss Rocaille by Caron

This is a fresh green floral. Light and playful! At first, the green was reminiscent of Estee Lauder's 'Alliage'. Miss Rocaille is quite a bit lighter and fluttery than Alliage - which I remember to be quite heavy in comparison. This fragrance brings to mind spring and youth. I'll have to dab some on before planting my annual flowers this year!

USC2's avatar

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

I'm glad I discovered One Man Show. It's so incredibly refreshing and long lasting. It reminds me of a lush, vibrant greenhouse; lots of greens with some light florals. It is concentrated so one or two sprays works for me. If I could only have one cologne, this might be it.

czesc's avatar

Eau de Mûre by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

strong blackberry and fruity notes over a fresh clean musky base, however it is not fruity/fresh in the contemporary sense of the word ie: candied, smells very organic.

czesc's avatar

Rose Muskissime by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

pure sweet rose, if you love rose this ones for you!

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Banana Republic Classic it's a very nice, clean and awesome casual and daytime fragrance. Really it's one of the best fragrances for casual wear and fits well for all ages. This fragrance goes perfect with jeans and sweater wear but if your clothes are also Banana Republic, then you are complete. I highly recommend this wonderful fragrance!

Crave by Calvin Klein

Ok... I'm not sure what Mr. Klein was thinking when he made this ridiculous fragrance but I'd be embarrassed if I was him. For as popular as his name is, I know he could've done so much better with his imagination with both the scent and the bottle design. This stuff smells like floor cleaner, dishwashing liquid, well most household cleaners with oranges in it! Nothing original, very artificial and smell very cheap, cloying and awful. I think this is bottom-of-the-barrel CK kiddies stuff! This fragrance is bad… bad… bad… and too… too… too… orange. The worst of all CK scents! Thank it was discontinued and don't purchase the remaining bottles at stores.

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Le Baiser du Dragon should be marketed for men, it has all the characteristics of men's perfume (cedar, vetiver, woods, amber, musk), very warm, heavy, woody and amberish; none for women, no feminity at all. I don't detect any floral sweetness at all. Cartier should market this fragrance for men or unisex because it's very wearable for men.

kaylene99's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I have well over 100 fragrances......but this one is one i continue to go back to. A Masterpeice. Its feminine without being overly floral....its clean and refreshing without being clinical, its an elegant "for every occassion" fragrance and when wearing it I continue get complimentson it. Its not an "IM WEARING FRAGRANCE AND EVERYBODY IS GOING TO SMELL IT" fragrance. 10 out of 10 Mr Miyake

kaylene99's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Amazing fragrance.......on both my husband and myself! It smells very masculaine on my husband but sweeter and warmer on me! Yum! The dry massage oil is just brilliant, and is great to moisturise the skin, (the fragrance lasts ages) The concept of the fragrance is very clever, with the magnets on the bottles. Amber, vanilla, and musk are the notes used in this linear fragrance. Love it!

nepv's avatar

VV Man by Roberto Verino

Nice oriental-woody Fragrance, it's more woody and
    less powdery than Brit(for men)

PikakeGirl's avatar

Voile de Jasmin by Bulgari

Viole de Jasmin is a beautiful, intimate jasmine-- it stays close to the skin and has a soft, powdery quality. This is a fragrance you wear for yourself and for the select person closest to you. (It doesn't seem to last as long as the other Bvlgaris, but I don't mind reapplying.) It's very romantic and the best word to describe it is "pretty". It's a good addition for a fragrance wardrobe. I imagine a woman would choose this as her wedding-day perfume.

PikakeGirl's avatar

V Absolu by Valentino

This is a great fragrance... starts off sparkling, moves into sweetness, and dries down sexy. To me, it's a "dress-up" scent-- not for casual or day wear-- good for a night out on the town. It projects quite a bit, so a light spritz should do it. (It is very noticeable, so if you like "neutral" or "light" fragrances this one is probably not for you.)

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This smell is almost wonderful. One can smell how good it could be if it had just a tad less patchouli. The choclate is a wonderful- Godiva-type quality. The vanilla and carmale are rich and warm. And then comes the patchouli. All those wonderful food notes seem to DROWN in a thick cloud of patchouli. If Thierry Mugler had created this fragrance with just a fourth less patchouli this fragrance would be my favorite. But, as it is, one should wear this with a very, very light hand. That patchouli is just too potent!

Index Fig Apricot by Fresh

I cant get enough of this perfume!Out of all the fresh index scents this one is the best. It is definatly more "peach" than it is "apricot", so I find it strange its not called "Peach-fig". I also found that this fragrance lasts longer than most of the other index fragrances. This is a very non-confrontational scent that most anyone would like.

Eau de NoHo by Bond No. 9

This scent was wonderful! One of my favorite fragrances is Philosophy's "Baby Grace". But, it fades so quickly. This fragrance smells very much like it, but, being a Bond #9 scent, it really sticks. It smells clean and soft! I loved it!

Clean Baby Girl by Clean

I really liked this scent. It is the least expensive of the Clean scents, but also my favorite. The other clean scents feel like you're biting into a lemon. This has very little citrus in it. It actually does smell like a clean baby girl- soft, musky, and pleasant. It smells alot like Philosophy's "baby Grace", also. The concept is the same- smelling like a baby. I would really like to know who came up witht this fragrance first- because someone outright robbed another company's idea and scent!

Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This was a strange one. When I read the description it said it was a gardinia scent that was "almost buttery". It was not "almost buttery", it smelled like actual butter! I almost could'nt even smell the floral notes! After an hour or so of wearing it I decided that I actually do like the smell of butter, and wouldnt mind wearing it on ocassion. It's a fun smell, for sure. But, I doubt it will end up as anyone's signiture scent.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I loved this scent!!! From the description of the notes, I thought it would be much more floral. But, the cardamom really came through well- along witht the vanilla. It ended up being a spicey, sweet scent. The Gardina was almost butter-like, also. I have tried almost all of the bond #9 fragrances. This has been my favorite. So good! Give it a try!

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

You cannot go wrong with wearing Amazing Grace. It smells so clean- but not in the way the Dlish Clean fragrances smell. It doesnt smell like lemons or limes. This is totally unique. It is difficult to even say what notes it contains, it is blended so beautifully! It is a light musky, floral scent. The only downfall is you have to use a ton of it. It waers almost like a body spray. And because it is so unique it is hard to find any lotions to complement it. You have to wear it alone, beause any other smells will clash.

totalparfumlove's avatar