Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

sherrie11's avatar

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

My mother wore Calandre during the 70's. It was lovely and unusual on her - very green/floral and aldehydic/powdery with a woody base. In retrospect I agree that there was something a bit metallic about it. It was the mix of ultra-modern with the classic prettiness that worked and made it unique.

Here are fragrance notes for Calandre that I found on imaginationperfumery:

FRAGRANCE NOTES - Bergamot, Fresh Rose, Geranium, Hyacinth, Woody and Powdery Base, Musk.

I guess they are correct, but they don't seem very specific. Anyway, if Calandre is unchanged it's a lovely scent. I agree the bottle is great, also Paco Rabanne's Metal bottle is great (similar).

ubuandibeme's avatar

Chance by Chanel

In addition to the above listed notes, Chanel's Chance also includes: White musk, Citrus, Iris, Hyacinth, Pink pepper, and Amber. In my opinion, there are too many leading ladies in this mix!!! The best part of Chance for me is the pink pepper which adds a subtle spiciness. Otherwise I find the notes competing against eachother for centerstage. Annoying. (Maybe it has to do with the fact my sister-in-law wore this fragrance - in excess - for a few months.) Sorry, no appreciation for this one.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

I can confidently say this fragrance is 'world class'! Read all the previous reviews - especially calchic's commentary - and you'll get an idea of the importance of this creation. Bal a Versailles is an icon in the craft of perfumery. It is a MUST TRY scent...along with Chanel No. 5, YSL's Opium, and a few other standouts by Guerlain, Caron, & Givenchy! I have yet to read or hear a negative comment regarding the chemistry of this treasure...wether it expresses your inner self or not, you will surely appreciate Bal a Versaille's beauty and wonder!

as4160's avatar

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

Great for daytime wear with a nice shirt. No complaints on longevity.

as4160's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

great stuff...seems to be getting really popular lately, even though its very different from Acqua Di Gio

bonni's avatar

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

I'm not a big fan of sweet fragrances. On me, they tend to become extremely sweet. I wasn't, therefore, expecting to like Dolce Vita, but I tried a sample on a whim and was very taken with it.

First, it's not too sweet, which is good. It's more of a soft, creamy sweet scent, rather than a candy-sweet scent. I'm not overly thrilled with the initial top notes, but once they settle down a bit, the perfume is very pleasant on me, very warm, inviting, and almost comforting.

I don't find it to be cloying, although I suspect it could be on a hot day or if applied a bit too enthusiastically.

It's nice to find sweet fragrances that I can wear, and it makes a welcome change from my usual florals and orientals. Glad I tried this one, and I don't at all regret buying a full bottle. I'm sure I'll be wearing this one with some regularity.

Cofthe3's avatar

Versace Woman by Versace

Mmmmmmm yummy! I'm not usually that into women's fragrances but I love this one: a orgasm of olfactory pleasure!

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

I have noticed the sulfurous facet of grapefruit in just about every grapefruit-scented product I have tried/tested/bought. Very bad in just about every case. But Guerlain manages it perfectly in this fresh and assertive fragrance, giving Pamplelune a funky/dirty side that sharply contrasts and complements the light, citrus notes. Rather a "tour de force" of perfumery. Not for everybody.

Eau Cendrée by Jacomo

My all-time favourite evening fragrance. My wife's favourite also. Deep and assertive, yet soft and enveloping. Women never, ever, fail to notice. A signature fragrance. Wore it first when I was 18,33 years ago. Had to without for decades, but have managed to score four bottles over the last two years. Capucci : please, please, bring it back.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Depth and freshness all in one.Stunning! Excellent persistence for a citrus fragrance, but then, there's a lot more to it that "citricity", maybe something of orange blossom or other white flowers. Great for evening wear, on top of Eau d'OV worn during the day.

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Masculine, indeed. Uncomplicated, yes. But subtle? I don't think so. I find it very assertive when freshly sprayed — the whole room "embaume" of pepper. But then the woody basenotes take over and it becomes almost discreet. Excellent persistance and, as Baron says, very versatile. Too expensive? I suppose so, but so is everything by Hermes. But can anyone name an other "maison" that attains such dizzy heights of excellence with ALL of its products? Has to be an expensive (and, yes, lucrative) business model.

Grommit53's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This was the favourite perfume of a woman I used to know, and I found it (and, consequently, her!) irresistable! A stunning fragrance. Sadly she found me all too resistable!

Grommit53's avatar

Eau de Santal by Floris

This is simply the best fragrance that I have come across (I originally came across it in Rome), and one of only two that women have really, really liked (!) and commented on without being asked (the other was M7).

jingles's avatar

First pour l'Été by Van Cleef & Arpels

I was bought this for christmas had hung my nose over it for months . whenever I wear it I get loads of compliments male and femail alike it is so stylish but not overpowering Will have to stock up this christmas

jingles's avatar

Touch of Sun by Lacoste

Touch of sun by Lacoste very Girly not my kind of perfume but Quite prety all the same Rather like a fruit salad with grapefruit, rather flowery the redeming fetures of this for me is that I can smell sandalwood and Jasmine as it warms up . touch of Piunk is richer but not by much they are both rather sugary, my 14 year old daughter will like this one

mariostill's avatar

cK one by Calvin Klein

i like that sweet scent but it should be for girls only

Topaze by Avon

Great, Simple, Elegant, Classy, and good on a man aswell. It is smooth, rich, and reminds me of a boat ride in the canals of Italy, truly a exotic, and romantic aroma.............

Essence In Harmony by Avon

This is a Two Part Cologne Collection. Called
    Earthfire & WIndswept. AMAZING!! My mother wore these two fragrances throughout my young childhood, I loved it on her and to this day she still wears it. It may be affordable, and to some even cheap, but as far as I'm concered, fragrances aren't better due to the price tag, it is how it makes you feel when you put it on that makes it truly valuble. Take my advice, GET SOME!!
    It contains some Jasmin, Rose, Sandlewood, Lily Of The Valley, and some soft Musks. Absolutly Wanderful!

Natori by Avon

La Belle Parfum.................

273 Rodeo Drive by Fred Hayman

Incredible! Sensational, and breath takingly Beautiful!!!!!

L'Interdit II by Givenchy

The best, most undeniably sexy, and classy fragrance from Givenchy. It smells nothing like the original, it is more floral, with strawberry, rose, Ylang Ylang, Sunflower, Freesia, and Sandlwood. It is wanderful!. It is incredible, and beautiful, Love it!!!!

Casbah by Avon

One of my favorites for Ladies from Avon. Part of the Parfums Creatifs Collection from Paris. Three were in this series, Casbah, Perle Noire, and Cest Moi!. Wanderful, and beautiful, get these, they are Wanderful!!!!

C'est Moi by Avon

What a classy scent. It's memo went like this." Cest Moi, a lighthearted, fresh floral fragrance that magically captures and vividly reflects your every mood... True, True, True, Wanderful!!!!

Undeniable for Women by Avon

Wanderful! A truly spectacular Ladies Eau De Cologne. It contains Sandlewood, Musk, Lily, Carnation. Really beautiful.........

Splendour by Avon

I wear this fragrance by Avon called " Splendour " It is a ladies fragrance, however it is a spicy, somewhat ambery fragrance. It is WANDERFUL! It is no longer made, but you can still find it on E-Bay. Go on, try this elegant, simply sensual Eau De Cologne call Splendour.

perfectscent's avatar

Austria Austria

Philosykos by Diptyque

Philosikos is an identical interpretation of a FIG tree, the tree's milk and the tree's fruit, so forget the fruit itself(which btw in a perfume can be overly sweet, sticky and cloying), this scent feels like laying under the fig tree in a hot summer day. Greenish fragrance, with a hint of coconut (Ever broken a leaf from a fig?)and just a hint of white cedar (freshly cut cedar tree or sawdust if you like) A great and unique fragrance, not many fragrances in the today's market smell like Philosykos!

perfectscent's avatar

Austria Austria

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Hey, come on! I think Freinds is a great clean uncomplicated scent, wan't offend anyone, the only problem I see here is that many people would associate it with Pledge and similar house cleaning products as they overused actual CITRUS and now it's doomed forever! This is a great alternative for Clean (much raved fragrance-dunno why, although completely worthles for its staying power). friends to me smells: citrussy clean, shower fresh, like you just rolled in citrus leaves (petitgrain), or lemon drop if you like and here is the description and notes:
    Moschino Friends Men is a tribute to friendship and made in Italy. The packaging alludes to the lively atmosphere of Italy, where the spirit of friendship is rich and passionate. The fragrance is citrus-like and colourful, with the strong freshness of the Mediterranean. Together, the packaging and fragrance form a special union - a special friendship - that creates a youthful fragrance, natural and spontaneous, suggesting the deep and sincere emotions of friendship. It's a new, lively and bright olfactive harmony, that blends the sparkling start of the citrus notes of the bergamot from Calabria, the tangerine, and the orange to a floral heart of courbon geranium and real Paraguay petitgrain, refreshed with a breath of Mediterranean sea breeze, and enwrapped in wood-musk notes.

Rashkae's avatar

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

What a wonderful frag! It starts off with a blast that reminds me of Eau Sauvage, but then quickly settles to a smooth, gentle Patchouli. Wonderfully done!

Rashkae's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I didn't quite get the incense note in this, though this could be due to skin chemistry. It's a nice scent, slightly floral, but longevity is poor for such an expensive frag.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Another Great fragrance from Guerlain! A refined Oriental surrounded by a mint/refreshing smell! Modern, luxurious, great for going out at night! Never cloying, simply amazing!