Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Another Great fragrance from Guerlain! A refined Oriental surrounded by a mint/refreshing smell! Modern, luxurious, great for going out at night! Never cloying, simply amazing!

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

It seems to me that leather scents fall into two categories: either they are, 1) sharp and bright, rather in-your-face and almost chemical like the leather of a new leather jacket, or 2) soft and soapy, with a clean, powdery sort of scent like saddle leather that's been washed regularly. I guess this is because, technically speaking, when you smell leather you are really smelling either the chemicals that were used to tan it, or you are smelling the soap and chemicals used to clean it. Trumpers' Spanish Leather is of the soapy, warm, powdery variety and that is fine by me. I find this one to be slightly similar to Creed's Royal English Leather, but I like this one better (I know, the purists will now sigh and shake their heads at me) because it feels lighter and cleaner to me. It feels less soapy when I wear it and I get more of a whiff of what I would call "leather." This is one leather I might actually buy a bottle of as it is just soapy enough to feel clean without feeling like I have a soap scum residue on me, and still masculine too. Good stuff.

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

Being James Bond's cologne of choice I really wanted to like this one. And upon initial application I was quite impressed - very strong, masculine, rich, and classy in an old-world style. But it reminded me of something else, and as it dried down that something else became more apparent. It dries down to a scent very reminiscent of Xeryus, a fragrance that I do not at all care for. In the end, it seems to dry to a watered-down, tired, boring, old man's thing (hey, that sounds like a description of some Bond movies!).

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

This scent has what I could only describe as a citrus-floral-leather-sandalwood harmony. At first they don't seem to harmonize, with the sharper notes fighting the warmer ones, but as the base comes into play, the fragrance mellows, and the whole composition just clicks. It then becomes a distinctive, sharp yet creamy fragrance. It continues to get warmer and sweeter as it dries. I'm not sure sandalwood purists will love this one, but as a good all-around scent this is yet another Trumpers that I am going to have to consider purchasing.

28th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 06th April, 2008)

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior

A powdery light citrus-floral scent. Orange blossom and almond, and there's some sharper, herbally note as well. Like the other Dior colognes in this series, this one too is sweet and powdery. And like the others, it borders on being a foody scent while not quite being totally "edible." There is something about this fence-sitting quality that I don't like. That is, it is foody while at the same time including elements that are not edible, which to me borders on disgusting, like getting your dessert with a pile of talcum powder on top of it. Then there's this powderiness, something I really don't care for in a men's scent. I guess that this might be a well-made scent - it certainly gets rave reviews on this site - but it's definitely not to my liking.

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Sorry to be the first to rain on this parade, but this scent, like Cologne Blanche, I just cannot give a thumbs-up review. I find something about the two of these scents to border on disgusting, and I am surprised to be the first to mention it. Maybe in this one it's the immortelle, a note I don't like in Sables either. But I think it is also this near-foody quality crossed with an effeminate powderiness. On the plus side, this one is darker than Blanche, which makes it a little more interesting to me. Still, the sweetness, the chocolatey note, and the immortelle make this a "no" for me.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

The only one of the Dior trio that I like at all. This one is buttery and sweet. The almond here comes across as smooth and buttery, and the honey is obvious. As other reviewers have commented, the honey is sweet but not cloying, as this remains light and "up." The incense adds a nice touch to this, and for me, a slightly interesting twist as I am used to incense scents being darker, drier, and more pensive. This one brings to mind a stroll through a safe wooded park on a nice sunny, breezy day. My only complaint is that it borders on being too sweet, and most days I do find that I ultimately choose not to wear it because of its sweetness. Still, a nice scent and worthy of a thumbs-up review.

Tabac Blond by Caron

87 years after it's birth, I am fortunate to have obtained a small decanted sample of this legendary icon! It is rich, leathery, smoky, dry, thick and creamy~spicy! Carnation is one of my all time favorite floral notes, happily noticed after the long drydown of this blend. I love a complex scent with depth and can wear quite a range of fragrances well...BUT...this Tabac Blond is just too big for me!!! I don't know how else to say it. After applying a few drops of this liquid gold, I felt like a child who had sneaked into her mother's room and stole a squirt of her 'grown ups only' perfume! Silly isn't it? Honestly though, I have been put in my place and will continue wearing my self appropriated girly girl scents! Thank goodness for Bellodgia, and my flowery Fleur de Rocaille! Caron is the VERY BEST, and Tabac Blond only confirms my opinion.

En Avion by Caron

The powdery wooded base jumps up to meet the topnotes right from the start! It gently settles back down to allow the fowers their share of the spotlight. Rose and carnation - spicey and ever so slightly sweet - really stand out for me. As time goes by, the entire scent really mellows. There is a certain sense of quiet confidence En Avion imparts to the wearer. More approachable than Tabac Blond ~ yet rich and classy!

absynthium's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

no words can express what a beautiful unbelievable rose scent diptyque created with this treasure in a bottle

baron's avatar

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Absolutely gorgeous leather scent. On the one hand, the leather is quite brazen - it almost has the quality of body odor. On the other hand, the orange and cinnamon sweet notes balance out the animalistic qualities with perfect harmony, making this scent quite smooth and soft. A real masterpiece.

Dennis's avatar

Vétiver by Creed

What a gem! A refreshing yet refined maculine fragrance with a hint of ginger and an attractive wet-mineral note. Highly versatile, classy and unique; a delight to wear. I've owned or sampled most of the Creed line over the years, and in my opinion the 1948 Vetiver is quite possibly the best Creed ever made.

EnvYuS's avatar

Le Boise by Ginestet

It starts out with a strong insense note and a light spice to it. Then it becomes more woody and the pepper note comes out. It screams pepper and dry woods. It is similart to Gucci pH withouth a powerdery sweetness. It is very good if you like pepper and insense.

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Steel Mod by Monika Klink

The name does describe the bottle but the scent itself has nothing to do with it. Also has this metallic linger to it as well as a cheap bottle design. This very amber-woody fragrance isn't bad at all but could use some lasting power. The scent of Echo by Davidoff would go better with the name and bottle design. Anyways the rich woods and sensual musk make this nicely priced sleeper a surprise hit for the women... definitely!

Frederik's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

I like this one a lot. On my it's very spicy and not at all sweet. that why I get away with it , I think. You have to apply lightly, 'cause it's a bit heavy

HackerX's avatar

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Totally awesome scent! A spicy start followed by a woody and insense-like finish, also with a subtle sweetness probably due to the sugar cane. somewhere in there reminds me a bit of Timbuktu and Santal Noble but with some smokiness. This is definitely a top 5 scent of all time, a superb new fragrance from Lubin in a new century!

ikkitosennomusha's avatar

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

I is not a bad fragrance but probably not one I will purchase anytime soon. I need to try the original to better make a decision by contrast.

liam1977's avatar

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

This is my holy grail scent. For anyone looking for a true Catholic Mass scent this is it, much more so than CdG Avignon which almost gets there but has too much of an ash/burnt smell. This one has none of that and smells all the better for it. I really can't believe how close an approximation of incense used in Catholic Masses this is - I go to mass regularly and believe me this is it.
    There's a shocking herby blast when first applied but it dries down within minutes to a beautifully smooth, piny, woody (and almost vanilla like) scent with the true scent of church incense. Stunning.

perfectscent's avatar

Austria Austria

Tam Dao by Diptyque

I spent so much time searching for a fragrance that smelled similar to Donna Karan's Black Cashmere, but for a man. Until Tam Dao. A beautyful incense with a hint of herbs and citrus in the top note perhaps it is: dark, smoky, sophisticated and uplifting at the same time. It evokes far away places, deep ancient forests, churches burning incense and spirituality.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

Nice inoffensive scent! Subtle, well, initially too subtle, develops to a light green smell containing some citrus notes. Floral notes are also present, probably the announced violets, and make the fragrance more thick, exquisite. It's versatile and maybe I'm being induced by its name, but I see myself wearing a basic jeans and a white t-shirt while wearing this scent!
    Think of a light, non spicy Rive Gauche and you got Jeans Couture. Also reminds me of a toned down Gucci Nobile.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

EDP Review: On me Joy is aldehyde heavy and has a super synthetic smelling, heavy jasmine note that is just awful. Also something in this makes my allergies go off the charts. Simply horrible smelling stuff in my opinion. As Quarry mentioned in her review, if aldehydes hurt your nose, you can rule this out! Chanels' do not work for me either. I envy those that this works on.

Narcisse Noir by Caron

Dark incense with civet dominate. Sadly, this turns 'gamey' on my skin. Underneath that mutton like fleshy tone I can smell the gorgeous jasmine and orange blossom trying to gently force their way through the thickness. If the darker side of this fragrance worked with my chemistry NN would be an excellent perfume. Lucky for me ~ Narcisse Blanc came along (eleven years after Noir) and is free from the civet and heavy incense. The Blanc version is lighter, brighter, and softer - I prefer it.

Narcisse Blanc by Caron

A lighter, more simplistic Caron fragrance. Softer and a little sweet! Jasmine, orange blossom and rose are fresh. Understated elegance! I don't get along well with Narcisse Noir (much to my dismay) but Blanc and I have an excellent chemistry! If you are new to the fragrances of Caron, this would be a fine introduction for you!

Nuit de Noël by Caron

Ernest Daltroff had extreme talent, as is proven in Nuit de Noel. This fragrance is everything the previous reviewers have written - and then some! The many notes (and there are many) in this complex creation are utterly seamless, as they transition one to another. It really doesn't matter if you choose to wear it, you should experience for yourself Daltroff's artistry and keen craftsmanship as Nuit de Noel is superb! I have tried the current formulation and the vintage stuff. The vintage stuff is what catapulted this fragrance into stardom as a Caron masterpiece...the newer juice - meh, only a speck of the original.

29th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

Vivid by Liz Claiborne

Marigold is one of the many notes in this fruit/floral arrangement. It ruins the whole scent for me...bitter, sharp, and cloying. Especially combined with tangerine...nasty combo! Thankfully, this one has been discontinued.

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

30 years ~ must be something to it! I liked this one on a boy when I was in high school. On a recent trip to the grocery store, I saw it was still being sold so I sneaked a little sniff. I still sort of like it! Great memories!

29th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2008)

as4160's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

Unlike anything else i have. Just an awesome scent.

booklover76's avatar

L'Effleur by Coty

L'Effleur is well-suited to all age groups and seasons. This was one of my first perfumes and holds special memories for me. Very clean and floral without being overwhelming or offensive- not one particular flower note stands out- just a lovely bouquet! It is the one and only fragrance by Coty that I adore- even though Basenotes' information states this is still in production- every other site I have consulted claims this one is discontinued- so I will horde the 3 mini parfums I bought on ebay.

booklover76's avatar

Truly Lace by Coty

I received this as a free sample when it first came out- very powdery and floral at first but dried down to a sour scent on my skin. The fact that the only compliment I got on wearing Truly Lace was by an older woman (I was 18 at the time) lead me to believe that not all scents are ageless.

HackerX's avatar

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

This is THE find of the year for me. It is totally amazing. It smells green, woody, spicy, smokey, insensy and something in it does remind me of plastic, that vivid plastic subtleness really gives it a mysterious character. If evil had a smell this would be it. It's as if Satan had walked the earth carrying with him trails of fire that could not be extinguished.