Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Jae's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Just get through the initial blast of a rather too sweet spicy and candied bergamot/lemon. Give it five minutes and sink into some of the most luxurious new clean kid leather with a twist of orange. Subtle, refined, impeccable with a smirk.

kewart's avatar

Love In White by Creed

This is a fabulous scent! I haven't been as excited by a new perfume in ages.The magnolia and jasmine are gorgeous and the whole melange seems to reek of class and purity. So nice to know that a portion of each sale is going to UNESCO - hope it's a large portion. I would feel confident wearing this for any occasion, although to me it says weddings or summer balls.
    I've always loved the minimalism of white flowers and this Creed composition is a tribute to their bewitching elegance.

knize10's avatar

Lacoste Eau de Sport by Lacoste

Beautiful green and fresh lively scent, a unique creation from 1967 (not 1968)by Jean Kerleo.
    Nice frosted glass bottle, a grand classic.

manicboy's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

In my opinion, one of the finest scents I've ever smelled. Very complex and subtle. Opens with a powdery burst of sweet and slightly smoky spices which I believe is Iris, Cocoa and Cardamom. Reminds me slightly of caramel too. Akin to walking into an exotic bakery. Slowly dries down to a sugary, leather note. Lasts all day. Bottle and atomizer are fantastic too. Bottle has some great straight lines and atomizer includes a metal tube that flows down through the flacon. Brilliant and unique!

Markinlondon's avatar

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

I get the caramel and honey straight away! lovely straight out the bottle! unfortunatly the drydown smells of posh toilets! Still, had a lot of positive comments and very long lasting.

mrliberfarb's avatar

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

I don't like this at all. it smells pretty vile. Sharp, offesnsive, not even close to sexy. I've never smelled a perfume this bad before.

Renato's avatar

Zipped Sports by Perfumer's Workshop

Extremely interesting and very long lasting citrus scent containing some puzzling notes I couldn't identify (presumably they're the coriander and juniper mentioned in various descriptions of Zipped Sport Spray). I keep a small bottle of it in the office for those hot days when the other ones conk out early, and I keep another at home for general usage.
    Renato

RHM's avatar

Un Amour de Patou by Jean Patou

The perfect Spring scent. As far as notes go, I've read it described as "fresh florals" & "extravagant roses".
    I definitely smell the rose but it's the dewy, fresh cut variety. This is a very "clean" smelling floral, quite long lasting. I'm very sorry that it has been discontinued.

sherrie11's avatar

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

I wore Dolce Vita around '98 - '99. It was very woody and aromatic on me, which I liked at the time. I liked the bottle, too. I never repurchased - moved on to other things. But it was nice while it lasted.

snikersprincess's avatar

Brandy by Brandy

I just got a sample vial of this and dident expect to be very impressed. I am more of a vanilla/oriental lover. But I put it on and was wowed! It has apple and peach as the top notes, very fruity but not really sweet, somehow. It felt light and I dident expect it to last. BUt it has been about seven hours and I keep sticking my nose in my shirt to get a big whiff. It is still going strong. I promised myself I'd take a break from perfume buying- but I have got to get this one. It reminds me of that scene from Anne of Green Gables- where she rides through the apple orchard and it is covered in white, fragrance apple blossoms. It must have smelled just like "Brandy". Wonderful!!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

Carnation is one of my most favorite floral notes - when done well. Too bad this Tuscany per Donna is not one of those. The spiciness of the carnation here is sharp and almost unrecognizable. It lacks depth, and I think it actually adds to the demise of this scent. Possibly due to the blend of other notes or poor quality product. The carnation I love is the one that shines in Caron's Bellodgia ~ spicy yet creamy smooth and soft. Also with peony listed in it's notes, I expected a softer more powdery drydown. And, yes, this concoction is some mighty powerful juice! I think the smell lingered for days...and for me...that was NOT a good thing.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

Shocking to discover this lovely fragrance has no vanilla notes within...however, there is a strawberry/almond blend that gives a distinct vanilla aroma!!! It is exquisitely blended, the fruity berry notes and the gentle sweet florals combine effortlessly with a connecting base of sandalwood. A quality modern day potion, worthy of praise from this perfume lover!

Strange Accord's avatar

Virgilio by Diptyque

Michael Edwards says the heart note is mint.

zenpiper's avatar

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

I like this stuff. I like the opening better than the dry scent, which reminds me a bit of Bois du Portugal, but slightly lighter. The opening is a real blast!

Barbershop's avatar

Cuir / Cuir de Russie by Piver

I have a Barbershop in the Netherlands.Whe sell the most of L.T Piver fragrance,s.im happy there are a lot of people they like L.t Piver.At last the Cuir De Russie Lotion is back for over 50 years.www.barbershopclassics.nl

Pi by Givenchy

I love this scent. Wonderful for winter, girls love it. Warm, sweet, makes girls want to get closer to you, just smells awesome. Tt lasts, too. The END.

Touch for Men by Burberry

The only thing that really comes out on me with this scent is the pepper and the white musk, then, after it dries down quite a bit, there is a little fresh smell (violet) to it. It must be my skin because my friend had it and it smelled more refreshing on him. I liked it more on him more. I don't like the musk/pepper smell that seems to be over taken on my skin. Right before it goes away it smells good though...alas.

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Starts out as a nice fruity smell, then dries down to a synthetic smelling cough syrup smell. Does not last at all on me either. Will be getting rid of it.

fenton_t_fox's avatar

Wales Wales

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

starts off with a blast of bergamot then after a short space of time a superb rose otto fragrance which lasts ages om my skin kicks in.Finally the afore mentioned rose otto morphs into a top grade sandalwood which seems to flicker back and forth between the rose otto for the protracted bottom note.
    To sum up a fresh fragrance slightly morbid for some maybe but such a change to the freshness of the usual citrus offerings for us men and consequently unlike nearly all citrus types extremely long lasting and earns a big fat thumbs up from me.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

meet the one person who never purchased this fragrance. acqua di gio is my life! - NOT
    at least i try to be different from the rest of the planet.

cK one by Calvin Klein

if it's gay, it has to be ck!

Hugo by Hugo Boss

only if you are a lesbian... somehow they seem to like it... i hope i won't get a chance to smell this on a man again... terrible. it reeks! masculine perspiration at it's fullest. this is not eau de toilette, this is an excuse to mock masculinity. i hate hugo boss. you must be really idiotical to purchase this. reminds me of str8.
    but, nevertheless, for our lesbian friends it seems to be the ultimate fragrance. well, go figure!

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

oh, my god! do all boss fragrances smell like perspiration? check out Hugo. another olfactory disaster

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

boring. too much damn lemon, yeah, yuzu, my ass!
    don't go there!

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

do not purchase this one unless you are bottom-versatile... otherwise, you'll be turning heads in vain. great lasting power. but all too common. if u ever went to bruxelles, you would know what i'm talking about.

Nemo by Cacharel

this is my no.1 fragrance. why does cacharel not make it anymore? why, cacharel, why? i'd like to buy a dozen of 100 ml bottles. i'd bathe in it. will i ever get the chance to use it again, cacharel? don't do this to me, please!

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

even bjork would love this one. and i like love all that is bjork. why thumbs down? don't buy it, it's mine!

The Dreamer by Versace

the fragrance is extraordinary, but it's widely missused. the dreamer redefines sophistication. that's why i don't get the fascination that people who wear costumes and sports shoes have with this one. it's for LGTB, not str8 hotshots!

Echo by Davidoff

extraordinary fragrance. thumbs down because on my skin it smells like chimpanzee vomit. be very careful with this one. test it on your skin, then retest it. good luck! it's a great one

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

really, mister monkey man, did it ever occur to you that maybe there could be different skin types? news flash! i have no longevity problems with neither this one, nor the indeed "mighty original". by the way, was it supposed to have similarities with Obsession for men? believe me, mr klein knows his marketing (check out his low prices, if that won't make people buy, nuttin will). what if l'eau bleue d'issey would have been a version of the original, only so that it had "similarities" with the legend..

31st March, 2006 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2006)