Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

feuermandala's avatar

cK one Scene by Calvin Klein

spicy, wet, floral, perfect for a rainy spring day, or for a walk in the summer evening breeze. thumbs down on account of bad lasting power

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

S.T. Dupont Homme by S.T. Dupont

I love this very elegant and luxurious fruity/floral fragrance almost as much as S.T. Signature and Cartier's Declaration. Wonderfully sweet and fruity scent with some sensual woods. Although expensive when it first came out, it can be found in most places for a third of its original price. It's unfortunate for this designer to have fallen under the radar with luxurious, elegant and very sophisticated fragrances like this one, Essence Pure and Signature. Otherwise; S.T. Dupont it's an excellent and refined competition against Chanel, Armani, Cartier, Salvatore Ferragamo and Kenneth Cole. S.T. Dupont Homme it's one of the best fragrances today... Try it!!!

HackerX's avatar

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

A very sensual leather fragrance, though there's much going on besides the leather. This is like a toned down version of CDG 2 Man without the smoke and harshness. The Cuiron has a sweet character to it, but not in a sense of powdery or candy-like sweet. It is much more like a clean softness. It's too bad this scent is being discontinued as i've heard. It is a must have for leather lovers, and arguably the best leather fragrance ever made.

iamthekow's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I've read that this was supposed to be a men's version of Un Jardin Sur de Nil. It carries the same levity and freshness, but I find that it's a good deal greener than Sur de Nil. The substantial grapefruit notes of Sur de Nil are nowhere to be found here.

Ultimately I found Terre d'Hermes to be as elegant a green fragrance as I've seen (admittedly not as much as many here). There is a sensual note to it that I really like. At one point during the drydown it smelled vaguely soapy, but it's really much more sophisticated than that.

I would definitely suggest this as a good day-to-day fragrance that is probably suitable for any weather. I'm very anxious for warmer summer temperatures so I can see how Terre d'Hermes holds up then.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Egoiste is simply a masterpiece. Lovers of oriental fragrances that haven't tried this one yet are missing out on a whole lot!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Smells like spiced-up dryer sheets, and i like that!

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

I'm sorry, but this is ghastly. What a stinker it is.

kokila's avatar

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

guess this is the 1st positive review for this fragrance. simply love it! try it out with a dark blue/black shirt - blends perfectly. i think it lives upto it's name... dark and mysterious!

manicboy's avatar

Nightflight by Joop!

This is one of the first scents I ever bought. What initially attracted me was the flacon. It's meant to resemble a starry night. Elegant, regal, intriguing, inviting. And that's just the bottle! Now the juice inside. Opens with dark citrusey notes of pineapple & lemon. Very fresh opening. Refreshing to say the least. Slowly develops into a flowery scent. I read somewhere it has essence of night flowers in it. As the name suggests, it's mainly for nighttime use, and it will keep you refreshed all night. It's particularly good in the Spring/Summer. Fantastic scent to say the least.

manicboy's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

First, let me say this scent is not for everyone. It can be defined as an aquired taste. I gave my father some of this for his birthday, and he had to give it back to me. At first whiff, I'm sure the first response will be, “It smells like a pencil sharpener from grade school!” This was my first response too. But once you overcome the initial shock, give it a few hours to settle in. Yes, the initial blast is peppery and woody. Some would say pungent. Did I mention it's woody? However, once things settle down, the ambery, leathery, and sweet notes start to appear. And that's when it hits you that this juice is fantastic. Good for nighttime and going out. Would never wear while the sun is still out. Lasts until dawn.

marco's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

I really like this one. The cypress note is clearly there but never pungent, much more delicate than in Cypres Musc; no possible confusion or analogy with pine-scented toilet freshener (always the risk with coniferous notes, unfortunately); around the cypress, there's lots of sage which is one of my preferred notes, perhaps rosemary, a nice hint of lavender and a dry and elegant, almost smoky musk base.

Miketheman's avatar

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

You will stand out wearing this in the states; oriental scents are not as common here as they are in Europe. I'm on my third bottle. I would avoid the aftershave though, it has a somewhat 'stale/rotten' smell to it which clashes with the eau de toilette.

Miketheman's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Smells like Vicks vaporub meets Bengay.....I kid you not.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is much older - but sold under another name (same bottle).
    Great stuff for that "clean & fresh spring day" feeling.
    Have had disappointments with the EdT - the bottle sprays fine for a few days, then turns into a water pistol stream that doesn't even spray straight, but rather at a wierd, unpredictable angle. Oh well, when that happens, my left ear lobe smells great - as does the wall behind me!

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Insence .. lots of warm insence on glowing coals in an old cathedral..not at all feminine. Warm, very warm.
    It's what I'd consider a male version of Parfum Sacre by Caron.
    WOuld also siúit the man next to a lady wearing Mitsuoko.

musclegod007's avatar

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

Why someone would want to smell like an 80 year old hooker, with ripped fishnet stockings, is beyond me....

mysticaldeath's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

love this, nutty chocolatey, earthy yet fresh. gorgeous bottle that looks like a tourmaline crystal

pagola's avatar

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

this has to ber spent my money on
    i mean talk about longevity

thing i have ever spent my money on
    some pure nonsense
    it starts out nicely but then it dires down and completely dissappears after and hour or two
    i really hate it when fragerances do that
    i was going for a conferecne feeling all proud and stuff that i have on something new but come to realize that it is worthless
    im sticking to old fragerances thank you
    DO NOT BUY THIS NO LONGEVITY

snikersprincess's avatar

Fashion Avenue by Bond No. 9

This is another wonderful scent from Bond #9. It is soft, but has wonderful staying power, as do all of their fragrances. It smelld innocent, smooth and clean. The mimosa and cashemere musk and also the citrus topnotes make it smell a little like one a scent "Dlish" would make for their "Clean" line. I love it. I want it!

Navy by Dana

I remember loving this scent in high school. It was a great smelling scent. Cool, crisp and long-lasting! I don't find this heavy or 80ish at all. I don't use this anymore as I find it a bit immature now, but great scent for a teenage girl.

Mark.blu by Mark

This one is just BLAH. It's not interesting, just a bit boring IMHO. Not bad, not good, it's just...there. zzzz

Incanto Dream by Salvatore Ferragamo

Pretty floral with pineapple, pink lady apple, mango, white florals and just a hint of musk. The apple note is very realistic. The pineapple mixes wonderfully with the mango and apple. If Light Blue didn't work for you, you will probably enjoy this. This is long-lasting with sillage that lies very close to the skin. This is mostly one-dimensional, as it stays the same from opening until it wears off. I find this enjoyable and very relaxing, but I will not be purchasing a full size bottle.

Just Me by Paris Hilton

This perfume isn't bad, but it isn't one that really stands out to me. It was really light, nonoffense and uninteresting. Just a quite usual floral with a very light musk base. This type of fragrance has been done to death. NEXT!

Surreal for Her by Avon

Surreal is very long lasting on my skin. I believe that Surreal has berries, red amber, freesia and other florals amongst the notes listed in the brochure. I also smell musk in Surreal too. This one makes my allergies go off, so I wouldn't buy it again. Tho, it really is pretty if you like girly, flirty and fun musks that are long lasting without the high price tag. Girly musks or berry florals are not really my thing, yet I enjoy Surreal. I still wish Avon would've added a little more red amber to Surreal. Surreal isn't record breakingly original but, in its class of young berry florals it's above average. Surreal's flacon is colorful and fun. Worth a try!

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

This really is an interesting scent and has unbelieveable lasting power. The only thing that bothers me is on my skin there is a very strong peppery green note that I just cannot get over. This has decent sillage, but just doesn't work for my chemistry.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

Being the first Lauren fragrance for women, it seems to have the best composition effort put forth from this design house (in my opinion). It is an unusual combination of 'old fashioned' florals like violet, carnation and rose paired with top notes of green and base notes of wood. It is quite representive of the later 1970's when designer fashion really took hold amongst the masses! To this day I enjoy revisiting this scent. It 'wakes me up' and refreshes! I also love the bottle! (I must add, the newer reformulated juice is nowhere near the quality of the original - snag a vintage bottle, if you can!)

31st March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

Parfum Sacré by Caron

WARNING - 2 DIFFERENT PERFUMES -
    this perfume has been reformulated, repackaged and relaunched!
    The picture above is the old formulation - the new one (which smells completely different) is in a purple package. At least Caron differentiated between Fleur de Rocaille and Fleur(s) de Rocaille ... Basenotes should split the page and allow comments on each scent separately

31st March, 2006 (Last Edited: 08th January, 2011)