Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Ysatis by Givenchy

Floriental ~ soapy and strong! Heady floral notes with a base including patchouli. Not particularly my favorite to wear although it's a wonderful Givenchy perfume!

04 March, 2006

Organza by Givenchy

The bottle of this givenchy gem is quite elegant, as is the perfume itself. Honeysuckle and gardenia gently sweeten its smoldering sultry base of nutmeg vanilla and amber. I find Organza to be absolutely an evening fragrance. Rich and very different. I have noticed people occasionally wearing this as a daytime/casual scent which totally puts me off! There is a time and place for everything ~ including Organza!

04 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Ligea "La Sirena" by Carthusia

Initially, this reminds me so much of Mitsouko. Could be wearable by men or women...the drydown morphs it into a powdery vanilla base ~ softer and sweeter than Mitsouko, and more like Shalimar! Very subtle in the beginning, then it swells with intensity to a sweet vanillic opoponax. Ligea is a shape-shifter, and like SirSlarty said, can create a darkened mood. Funny, because Mitsouko does that on me too! I find this fragrance highly intriguing. The way it ends up on my skin is like a much more wearable, vanilla version of Montales' Sweet Oriental Dream.

04 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2009)

Par Amour Toujours by Clarins

The top note of this young and sweet fragrance is 'candy conversation hearts'! ULTRA sweet! Shortly after wrist testing I washed with soap and water. Took another whiff...wow...it's nice! The base notes of this lovely fragrance are delicate. Reminds me of Clarins Elysium. Still, they've hit their target market: girls first attempt at wearing fragrance. Sweetly done!

04 March, 2006

absynthium's avatar
    absynthium

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

i think this product it's a little bit overrated i just can say nothing more or less than any others citrus cologne,it lasts about 1 hour on skin

Shycat's avatar
    Shycat

7 Sinful Scents: Envious by Gendarme

Enviuos opens with a burst of mandarin. This strikes me as a spicey masculine top, and had me thinking Oh dear! The mandarin fades in about 5-10 minutes as the light airy jasmine and the strong almond arise. I suppose about 30 minutes into it, I also get the cherry. It seems a bit sweet then, and edible. As it continues to dry down the sweetness subsides and for most of the fragrance I enjoyed a very,very light and soft jasmine almond.
    I give it a neutral because the top seems so masculine and the base so feminine, it's a tad confusing to my tiny brain. I suppose it would be appropriate for men who were jealous of women and women who were jealous of men!

christykat's avatar
    christykat

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

It's true, men will love this fragrance on you. I love it, too - very original and mmmmm, what a great combination of summery fruit. Still, a little goes a long way; I find it a bit overpowering when people use too much. Plus, a lot of people wear it. One more thing (good/bad? you decide) - I've never noticed a fragrance that transfers so strongly onto my clothes/my guy as Cool Water Woman does. If you're snuggling with anyone, they'll smell just like you. ;)

Deskexplorer2's avatar
    Deskexplorer2

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

I recommend this as a good casual fragrance. Go easy when applying (especially if you're going to be indoors) as this scent will give the wearer and those around you a mild headache.

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

I’ve done a turn-around on this one, probably resulting from my new and growing admiration for the more subtle fragrances. Very light, very fresh and clear, Eau de Cartier has a subtle citrus and green opening that gradually transfers from a crystal clear citrus opening to a nuanced violet and lavender heart. The greens of the heart notes are like the gentle smell of a flower garden during a light rain — primarily soft green with a subdued floral background. The movement from level to level is imperceptible and the fragrance finishes with a filmy coniferous and amber base — light and transparent. This fragrance is so very comforting in its clarity and ease. It’s the perfect scent for the times that demand discretion in the fragrance one is wearing. Genuinely unisex, Eau de Cartier is refinement and whispering elegance personified.

05 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2008)

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Voleur de Roses inserts itself directly into the heart of its wearer. It tells a story that enthralls. A story as old as mankind: The story of beauty, love, loss, and the passage of time. We’ve heard this story in poems and rock-old tales. We’ve seen the story in paintings and sunsets. Now we can wear it…

Zanzibar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Good citrus opening, but not very different from the openings in many other scents. Not too sweet—freshened with coriander. The coriander holds for a long time before moving into the spicy mid notes. These spices are quite tame, with the pepper coming through nicely to add elegance to an otherwise casual fragrance. The dry down is a subtle wood accord. Even though not very much about Zanzibar is new or creative, it is a good solid scent while it lasts, which is not very long.

Incanto pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Incanto pour Homme has a fresh opening—fresh and somewhat citric from the bitter orange. There is a coniferous (cypress / cedar) note to the background of the opening notes. The coniferous note grows stronger as it moves into the middle of the pyramid, which has some very attractive accords—accords that are subtle, clear, and restrained and retain the initial freshness. The vetiver / sandalwood / musk dry down is in the usual pattern of being extremely subtle.

I feel that I have smelled this fragrance several times before—under several different names. Although I don’t find it very original, it is quite a good fragrance: It has some sophistication and is very well constructed. Rather short in longevity, though.

05 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

Conquest for Men by Agatha Brown

Refined citrus top notes: subtle, and balanced by a light application of fig leaf and lavender. The floral center is as smooth as the opening. The floral notes take over quietly, eventually giving way to the primarily light wood base keeping the soft, warm motif of the fragrance intact. I really can’t separate the notes in the base but it has a wood and tonka feel. I would like the base to have a little more presence. Conquest is a smooth, lovely, refined fragrance which presents a fine sillage and lasts impressively. Very unique!

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar
    Ibiza_Hippie

Island Kiss by Escada

This one smells similar to Rockin' Rio but it's a lighter version with a more prominent Mango top note. It's airy and fruity. I love this one however, the lasting power isn't great and the top notes don't last very long at all.

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar
    Ibiza_Hippie

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

This smells just like a cheap, sweet tropical drink with a heavy floral background. It's very linear too in that the smell doesn't change at all.

The good thing is great lasting power but that's just about it.

Inessa's avatar
    Inessa

Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali

My husband likes it too (see previous review), but I find it way too heavy, cloying and 'churchy' - not in a good way. Definitely not suitable for young women.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Fresh and beautiful? Yes. Boring and predictable? Yes. One of the safest fragrances around these days, Acqua is just too popular for its own good. I think it carries a lot of weight in the United States because people like to hear the Armani name associated with their purchase. There is only one person who wears this fragrance anymore, "I'm a middle-class white guy who knows all about luxury and having a good time." Run from the trend, not towards it. Gio at least opens the door for me to smell original with Aramis Surface and Givenchy BL. You can't go wrong buying this one, but that isn't to say a lot is going to go right, either. Safe and unoriginal to the extreme, which is sad considering this actually set the stage for all those aquatic scents that make this so bland. After the current trend dies down, it might not be bad to bring it back out, but until then...

Chemistry by Clinique

Meh. Reminds me a bit of YSL's original Jazz because I detect some sort of fern smell in both of them, but the only note they share in common is the amber. Pretty straightforward, and the girl I was with when I tried thought it was "too stuffy for summer." I think the scent is more of an acquired taste opposed to the more easily wearable Happy, so I'd label this Clinique offering a try-before-you-buy fragrance.

Chrome by Azzaro

Chrome is a pretty good scent, and one that has remained relatively popular in fluctuating fragrance market since its release. While it is pleasant and noted for not being obtrusive, it can be cloying and offensive if overly applied, trust me! Once on a city bus a man had put on way too much of this, and everyone on the bus noticed in a bad way. Sometimes the metallic notes can become too sharp-synthetic, making it hard to wear easily in real confined places. While I like to believe I wear it well, sometimes I smell some type of bazaar "doctor's office accord" of rubbing alcohol and sterilized medical equipment on other people. I reserve it for wearing out in hot weather, but I wouldn't reach for it when going to the office. Easily accessible and reasonably priced, Chrome isn't a bad choice for something fresh and a little different, but make sure it stays in the right hands!

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

The best of the Armani fragrances in my opinion. It was the first scent to feature that familiar Armani aura that is now typical of the later offerings, so while it may not seem so original to those who have to backtrack for a sample, it is still stands out in my books. The scent is light and fresh, but serious at the same time. While it was one-of-a-kind when it came out, today it smells like a combination of Alfred Sung Hei mixed with a lighter, yet more sophisticated version of Code. I get just enough projection and longevity to the point where I feel I've gotten my money's worth, and yet I don't have a headache from it ever becoming cloying. A very classy, modern fragrance. Wear it down Rodeo with pride!

Touch for Men by Burberry

One of my favorite orientals. I don't think this smells anything like Escada Magnetism, nor should it give anyone a migraine as others have suggested. Touch is smooth and creamy, with sweet tonka and white musk accenting and rounding out its essence very well. Perfect for something pleasant and mellow on a cold night, I wouldn't want to wear this in the heat. Certainly a seasonally-conditional fragrance, but one that is pulled off very nicely. Burberry has left me very impressed with this offering, that is a good alternative to the original.

Echo by Davidoff

Kudos to Davidoff's push of this one. This could very easily be a forgotten ozonic/aquatic scent in a market that was already too saturated with them during its release, but clever marketing and a genuinely addictive scent separate it from the rest of the pack. I think this is leaps-and-bounds over the Cool Water series in both its concept and execution. The composition reads exactly as it smells, and works surprisingly well. You won't fool anyone about its synthetic nature, but there is certainly no reason to apologize about it. Crisp, mysterious, and invigorating. Two thumbs up!

Curve Crush for Men by Liz Claiborne

I'm not sure if anyone who ever did their homework bought this thinking that they had to have it. There is nothing wrong with this fragrance - good smell, sillage, longevity, and composition. The only thing barring me from giving this a "thumbs up" is that there is no real reason to own it. The top-mid notes do seem transplanted from Echo, but the base is a little more grounded with musky moss whereas Echo has a more metallic-transparent quality. That's about it, folks. Putting its ozonic qualities head-to-head against Echo, I would choose the latter every time, and if you prefer the mossy dry-down, you'll find it done better in the original Curve. Not a bad choice for teenagers or someone looking for something safe to buy someone for a gift, but better is out there. I've seen it packaged for a good price with its accessories from time to time, so if you feel the need to purchase this, I'd search out one of the gift sets rather than paying regular retail.

Style In Play by Lacoste

One of the fruitier fragrances that I truly enjoy, Style has very exhilarating notes that make me feel revved when I put it on. There is a lot going on in this fragrance compared to Pour Homme, but it always radiates very nicely throughout its application. Style gives off a lot of vigor and excitement - great for younger guys and anyone who wants "oomph" out of their cologne.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Not bad at all! Much more pleasant than many of the reviews lead on, this is perfect for younger men in a casual atmosphere. Although apple/green notes have appeared before in fragrances, this one smells unique and original. One whiff fills my head with images of changing leaves and fresh autumn mornings, which isn't to say that it should be relegated to the fall season. Flexible, crisp, and care-free, Be Delicious is great for someone looking for a cologne with a unique composition.

plumeria's avatar
    plumeria

Coeur de Vahiné by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

For the first few seconds it was very nice, sparkling, fruity and sunny. But then it became way too sweet for me. Kind of like very sweet fruit punch. Then it faded pretty quickly, but didn't dry down to something nicer. Rather, it held on to it's overly sweet note even while disappearing.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

This is a very nice perfume with one of the most effective marketing strategies I've ever seen! They gave you an actual sample in a vast number of magazines, rather than just a scented page. So, I got to try this on my skin straight from the advertisement!
    When I first tried this on I SWORE it had chocolate in it! I was shocked to learn that it did not. It is a very "foody" smell. Very rich and creamy. Actually, what finally prompted me to go out and buy a bottle was when my husband tired it on and said he would also use it. It is no girlier than HM or Rochas men. I feel like this is definatly unisex. I hate that it is so trendy right now. But, when the hype dies down, it will definatly be a favorite!

Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera

This is a very nice perfume. It is classic. It is very non- confrontational. I garentee that no one will be put off by you're wearing this one. It would be so much nicer, thuogh, if it were just a tad heavier. It is so light and airy, that, unless you are sitting VERY close to someone on an extremely hot day, it will go absolutly unnoticed. If you are a timid scent-wearer, but still want to know in your heart that you are wearing somthing beautiful ( even if no one else knows it... like lingerie....) then this is a great scent for you.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Why, oh, why does Estee Lauder always but so much aldehyde in her perfume? I have never smelled a fragrance of hers that I liked. I have almost liked a few, put they have this chemical quality to them that is just unpleasant! It's all that aldehyde!!!
    This pefume in particular. Forget about the lovely floral topnotes that it supposedly contains. This fragrance is full on aldehyde and patchouli. Two notoriously disliked fragrances. If you want to offend a very large percentage of people around you- wear this. I implore you, however to not be so unkind as to put this fragrance on if you work in close quarters with others (ie; a secretary) or at any place that serves food.

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I really like all of Comptoir Sud Pacifique's fragrances, including this one. It is mouth watering and it lasts a good amount of time. It also is wonderful to layer with almost any of their other fragrances. This is the only concern I must voice: These perfumes are very expensive, but their performances do not reflect their pricetags! They all have a slight alcoholic undertone. They are packaged in aresol-type cans, and they smell like something that came out of an aresol-type can. However,regards of my issues with this line, I will probably end up buying it again because the smells are so unique.
    It is quite hard to find a chocolate scent that is not inundated with orange or patchouli. It's a good one- but the entire perfume line is getting a neutral rating. At this price, they can afford to do better.