Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I had heard how this was an epic fragrance. One of the greats- like Chanel #5. One must at least try it is one is interested in fragrance. I went to my local shopping mall- spritzed it on, and immediatly wanted to run away from myself. I raced to the car as quick as I could- with the Youth Dew demon fast on my heels. I speed home and took a shower at 1:00 in the afternoon. It was an awful experience. The most "Old Lady" perfume I have ever, ever come across. It is a sad, sick joke that it is called "Youth Dew". Ridiculous.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

I love Glow. It is really clean, but also musky and sexy. Has a little coconut in it, which most "clean" scents wont give you. It lasts a wonderful length of time. I often wear this to rock concerts, because even when you are hot and sweaty, you still smell fresh and sexy. This scent is easy to like, is very well formulated, and is almost impossible to over do. You can spray on a ton and not be overwhelmed. I get complemnts on this alot. Her best perfume by far. This one has staying power and will become a classic, even if it was made by "JLo".

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

I own about fifty perfumes. I am always looking for that one signature scent that will obliterate all the others. But, when I get sick of trying new stuff- my "go to" fragrance is Michael. Something about it reminds me of when I was a little girl. I dont know why. It is so warm and comforting, this fragrance. It has some nice watery florals, a beautiful musk. It is rich and long lasting. Not a hot summer day scent, but definitly a Sunday smell. My husband loves my baby girls smell like Micheal after I've been holding them. It is a heavier scent, but I am 27 and have been wearing it for about 3 years. It is not only for the older crowd- I promise! Hey, mabye I HAVE found my signature scent!

Dirt by Demeter Fragrance Library

This scent is so cool! I loved the accuracy of it! But, alas- the scent was so fleeting that I became angry for having spent 35$ on a bottle of almost just alcohol and water. If this fragrance "stuck" even for an hour , I would have been pleased. THis is something you only want to buy if you are intrested in the novelty. The "Hey, look, guys! If you press this button you'll smell like dirt for about 2.4 seconds!". I recommend sniffing a handful of actual dirt for 2.4 seconds, and saving your money for a real fragrance.

L'Eau by Diptyque

No, no- not a good one, Diptyque! The clove is just too much. This will absolutly make you smell like potpourri. This is more of a room spray scent to be used during Christmas. It's not a bad smell in and of itself. It just should'nt be worn on a person. A bowl of wood chips in the middle of one's table would suit this fragrance wonderfully.

Chelsea Flowers by Bond No. 9

I felt like this was a little boring, compared to the unique concoctions that Bond #9 has come up with. It was just flowery. It did not inspire any feeling of like or dislike. Just a very straight foward, unintersting scent. I would suggest sampling a few other Bond #9 fragrances before settling on Chelsea Flowers. This is nothing special- except in the fact that, like all of the Bond fragrances- it has great staying power.

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia

My mother went to Capri and brought this home for me. I wanted so much to like it. It was expensive, exotic, and famous in it's own right. Alas, it was not to be. This is one of the most sickining perfumes I've worn, and the worst I've ever owned. It is very floal. But, not soft florals like lilly or peony. It is made up of very sharp florals, such as carnation. I'm not sure exactly the notes- but it is a wholely unpleasant scent. The sharp floarls are not softened by vanilla or musk. They are handed to you like a big boquet of rancid weeds. It is a VERY mature scent. For very mature audiences- none of whom I'd like to spend much time near.

Stuka's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This fragrance smells like salt from the sea...and besides that ...nothing. Sorry but this is not a parfume to spend your money on it.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Poivre by Caron

I thought Tabac Blond was _the_ Caron for me but Poivre has seriously captured my heart! First there's the burning sensation of pepper and cloves but after a couple of hours there's the soft and gentle, almost nostril-caressing drydown of opoponax, oakmoss and most mellow vetiver imaginable. Simply perfect!

Tovah's avatar

Café Noir by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Very nice deep coffee, smoky scent. Its richness and warmth is perfect for a crisp, cold day.

Tovah's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Carnal Flower (I love that name!) is, as stated in a previous review, an amazing scent! There aren't many fragrances that truly smell like real flowers in the outdoors; Carnal Flower smells like a fresh breeze carrying the scent of flowers wafting through a window at sunset on a summer day. I don't mean to indicate that this is a relaxing fragrance, though. It's exhilarating, stimulating, and so beautiful.

yanna's avatar

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

I initially thought that Pure Poison was musky but have since decided that it has a very sultry yet clean smell. This perfume is delicious and enchanting and very cozy, like a big downy comforter that makes you happy it is so beautiful.

Shycat's avatar

Mimosa Pour Moi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love this scent for spring! I've not smelled the actual mimosa (or tilleuls-linden) but only perfumes. Indeed they share a common ground in my mind of delicate, fresh, airy, green. Mimosa pour moi is sweeter and smoother than my tilleul soliflore, touched ever so lightly with violet. I envision blossoms drifting on a sunny soft breeze.
    It has a natural feel to it that I adore, so that if I close my eyes, I could be walking along a tree-filled alley. Perhaps Mimosa, and I don't know! perhaps Linden but my easy breath and bouncy step are equally unconcerned!

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain

Monsieur Balmain is a classic fragrance from the 1960's. Do not expect miracles from this one. It's just a pure, clean citrus fragrance nicely balanced. It is described as a 'citrus aromatic' fragrance and contains: Bigarade, mint, petitgrain, rosemary, rose, ginger, sandalwood, vetiver and sage. The fragrance is nice, clean, fresh, rich and long-lasting and has a wonderful lingering 'spicy-woody' quality to it. Monsieur Balmain is superior to all of the other 'citrus' fragrance's that are available. I would say it's the most sophisticated citrus fragrance out there.

Sui Love by Anna Sui

The bottle is absolutely beautiful! Probably the nicest I have ever seen. It's a pretty stained glass butterfly with a golden lid. From the bottom it slowly fades to clear glass revealing the pink juice inside. However, the juice is a little too floral and heavy for me. It's okay but not fantastic. I would just buy this for the bottle.

Escada Sport Feeling Free by Escada

Very refreshing and marine like, it really does smell like it's name. It almost smells like sophisticated soda pop. It's fizzy yet complicated and rich enough to be a wonderful perfume. However, I'ld only wear this scent whilst doing leisurely activities as this does seem to intensify the smell of B.O.

Country Weekend by Escada

I find this fragrance to be more of a male one. It's nice and refreshing though I'm disappointed at how linear it smells. It's like fizzy cinnamon and wood notes. It really does a good job of smelling like the country.

Escada Sport Spirit by Escada

I do like this one, it's my favourite from the series! It's airy, almost aquatic and fruity as opposed to your usual intensely fruity fragrances with heavy floral backgrounds.

It's a little more feminine but does smell right on a lot of guys I know who've worn this.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

This is definately not unisex! It's completely sweet and feminine. The top notes are very sweet, sugary and a little spicy and the dry down is even sweeter maybe creamy. Suprisingly it works well in cold weather too. My only compliant is that it smells quite childish, it's certainly not sophisticated.

kewart's avatar

Mimosaïque by Nicolaï

This captures the true smell of a mimosa tree perfectly. I remember buying a few sprigs of Mimosa,to cheer up the room I was renting in Alsace, and am transported back there every time I spray this on. It is a very distinctive smell and not to everyone's taste, but I love this Nicolai version. Anise lends a spicy note and I suspect other floral notes are in here too. The sillage is not wonderful, but just keep topping it up -it is so uplifting and refreshing!

kewart's avatar

Lea by Lea St Barth

This isn't distinctive enough on my skin. It produces a "barely there" whisper of vanilla- scented almond. Almost the sort of scent a child could wear.

paddy's avatar

Portugal by Geo F Trumper

tried a sample and i like this. fresh spicy citrusy hit to start off, which mellows throughout the day.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

Well, I was looking for light scents as Azzaro Chrome and CK Crave and after reading a lot of rave reviews about Claiborne Sport, I finally decided to buy it. What can I say? First of all, It's a nice fragrance: subtle, light and fresh.
    But Don't expect too much of this one. In my opinion, It's not a compliment getter. Too generic... I think there's something missing here, maybe a sweet note (as in CK Crave), maybe a more citric character (as in Chrome).
    It starts really nice, really fresh and It should have kept this smell all the way. Sadly, It vanishes in two minutes and suddenly a "plastic" or maybe synthetic smell appears. It's not an "easy" smell and It takes time to get used to it. Some might not like it, so It's not a so safe scent...
    The longevity is not so good, but It's normal when we're talking about fresh/casual fragrances.
    After some time, the fresh character is surrounded by a woody dry smell, I think It's due to the cedar.

Renaissance_Man's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

If I had to choose one aquatic/marine scent (and thank God I don't), this would be it. It's a little warmer than and not as irritating as all the aquatic designer junk out there these days. The bottle is beautiful and I think it matches the bamboo type accord present in it. Longevity was O.K. However, it's not something I would consider buying again.

riversandseas's avatar

Salvatore Ferragamo by Salvatore Ferragamo

Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Femme is a sparkling, sumptuous and delicious fragrance. It's extremely classy and long lasting, it never loses seems to lose its sparkling top notes. The delicate musk starts developing after about an hour, which makes it a very alluring perfume and intensifies the never ending top notes. The perfume alternates from sparkling fresh innocence to a delicate, musky sexy, never committing itself to one nor the other and leaves the wearer and other admirers entranced and wanting more...

riversandseas's avatar

White Jeans by Versace

If you want to be transported into the Garden of Love instantly, then this fragrance does the trick. A very warm, sensual fragrance that doesn't hold any nasty dry down suprises. It's all warm white florals, subtle powdered vanilla/jasmine, puppies in a basket and long summers at first, then dries down into this very naughty, yet also innocent, musky warm scent. My husband reacts to this scent every time, it's like a calling... *wink* The packaging is also beautiful and the bottle looks like a love potion from the greek gods... the House of Versace must have been insane to discontinue this. You can still buy bottles from fragrancenet.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Garden Blu by Avon

This is. a very fresh smelling floral perfume. It reminds me of a rose garden in the rain. I got my bottle for like $2.00 on clearance in the Avon brochure. A steal, as I really enjoy this one. It's not very long lasting, but for this price, I can refresh the scent.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Obsession by Calvin Klein

In my opinion, Obsession is one of the all-time best American fragrances ever created! I don't particularly jump out of my skin for most other Calvin Klein scents...but this one is truly a jewel! It is the essence of 1985 and has captured that special place in time the way no other fragrance possibly could. I remember wearing it faithfully throughout the later 1980's. It always garnered compliments from men whenever I wore it! It just so happens my mother fell in love with Obsession too! Actually, she wore it exclusively for about 15 years! Her signature scents over the years have been Tabu, Ciara, Charlie (original) and - Obsession. If it didn't have such a dated place in my mind, I might spritz some on today. It's quite good, especially for a designer scent.

06th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Tabu by Dana

I love this stuff! Tabu is one of my most favorite fragrances of all time. It is best in it's original vintage form, and in the cologne concentration - which amazingly has sillage & longevity to spare! It is dusty/musty and honey sweet, with a world rocking patchouli in the base. Funny thing too, is of all the scents I've worn over the years, Tabu never fails to garner compliments! True, it can come across a bit "loose" or even "whoreish" ~ but it is stunningly attractive. I'm quite certain my fragrance wardrobe will never be without it!

06th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)