Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A warm, soft, cozy fragrance, perfect for winter and cooler evenings. While L'Eau d'Ambre is sharp, medicinal and synthetic, Ambre Extreme is much better balanced and has a calming effect. Although it's very deep and long lasting, it isn't cloying at all.

HackerX's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Two thumbs up! A bold and daring iris fragrance for men and it managed to remain masculine. This is probably my favorite powdery sweet fragrance with a floral bite. It also smells really classy, definitely not for t-shirt and jeans, i think it suits really well in the professional business environment. This has quickly climbed on the top of my list.

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

Secret Wish by Anna Sui

When I first tried this it was foul! But this is certainly a scent you shoud give a second chance. A month later when I tested it again it smelt wonderful! It was so sutbly fruity and musky. The top note of melon was the most prominent and the dry down was an interesting woody smell. To top it all off, this has the most beautiful bottle cap design I have ever seen! The bottle itslef looks like a green-blue rock with a little fairy perched on top. It would look beautiful on any dressing table.

Rashkae's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

It's quite a unique scent, and always brings back memories of High School, where i wore this... It's strong, has great longevity and is very unique. Just doesn't work too well in warm weather.

Rashkae's avatar

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

This is a really great fragrance! It's warm but mellow, very sexy and mysterious. An excellent, excellent scent with great longevity. Go easy on the squirts though, or you'll OD and it'll go bad. 2-3 squirts will last all day and envelop you in a soothing, yet at the same time dark and mysterious cloud of sexyness.

Stench's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This drys down to Versace Dreamer on me. Lasts OK on my skin. Dreamer lasts far longer for much less.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This smells exactly like my grandma's cedar chest; fresh cedar with a faint touch of citrusy mothballs. I say that in a good way. NR is a comfort scent to me. I don't believe this is really heady or strong enough to be a real vampy seducing musk scent. When NR dries down, it lies very close to the skin with little to no sillage. I wouldn't repurchase, but this is still a very interesting & unique musk based scent.

The_Giraffe's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

The opening is to my nose EXACTLY the same as that of Benneton Sport. It doesn't take too much time however for this to develop and gain some florals. I can't pinpoint exactly which flower I smell though one in particular does come to mind. Might be a lily or something. Whatever flower it is wears the scent much better than I do. This is just a really OK scent. I can rattle off a whole bunch of scents I'd rather wear than this no matter the occasion, thus it is really not worth the money in my eyes. Check it out though if you want a fresh, youthful scent that would be sporty if it weren't too floral to be sporty. Or just don't, cuz while it doesn't suck it is sort of a waste of time.

tmp's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It took a while for me to warm to this one. It starts out very strong, but the drydown is great- the smell of skin warmed by the sun. Like most Lutens scents, it doesn't have heavy sillage, so you won't be blasting people with your scent.

Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron

This Caron classic is quite lovely. I detect a spiced rose here - drydown is powdery and remains floral. Easy to see why it has held such popularity over the years. So many seem to prefer it over the Fleur de Rocaille - however I am not one! Fleur de Rocaille is much more suited to my personality and the current fashion trends for women. What I miss in this blend is the crisp green note that leaves a fresh feeling. If you are not a fan of this 'Fleurs', then you probably will like 'Fleur' and vice versa. Personal preferences aside, this is a top quality timeless feminine fragrance.

Ma Griffe by Carven

I can almost taste this one! It is very heavy, in a syrupy sort of way. Reminds me of eating baklava with Greek style coffee - thick as mud - exotic! The cinnamon is very pronounced. (I think one of my great aunts used to wear this...seems I remember it from childhood somehow.) I think everyone should sample this globally renown scent ~ but I'm not sure how many will actually wear it. Extremely unusual.

Coco by Chanel

It's been awhile since Coco has graced my pulse points. Having just re-purchased yet another glorious bottle, I'm here to tell you; Coco is the ultimate classic. Specifically, the EDP. There is a world of difference between the EDT & EDP versions. Coco Eau De Parfum is a multitude of precious essenses fused seamlessly into a single luxurious golden elixir. In comparison, the EDT seems stark - lacking some of the stunning sweetness & warming quality of it's sister. If you are looking to try a timeless classic fragrance, one that exudes strength and femininity; please try Coco, and let it be the EDP! THUMBS WAY UP!

I've since added the EDT to my collection as well, it is perfect for when a lighter/brighter form of the fragrance is desired ~ I'm learning!

08 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

WhiteRat's avatar

Écume de Thé / Thé by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Here are its notes from the official site
    Top note: bergamot, lemon leaf
    Heart note: hibiscus, lotus, orange pekoe tea
    Base note: mate, tea wood

chantal9677's avatar

Pure Moment by Alfred Sung

Pure moment is a very understated and lovely fragrance. I work in a huge office and often get compliments on this one from both men and women that I smell fresh and so good. It is not overpowering in the least and can only be smelled by others when in close proximity. This scent is one of the BEST for office wear. It is not an evening scent however. The lovely fragrance easily gets lost when competing with other scents for a night on the town. My advice: Buy this one for the office or everday wear.

chantal9677's avatar

Jil Sander Woman Pure (original) by Jil Sander

This perfume is perfect for a summer day or if you want to smell fresh and beautiful without any overpowering smell. It gives of a fresh and clean, sophisticated scent while avoiding smelling too soapy or green. Excellent for summer and days at the office!

denstyle's avatar

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron

I have to come to the defense of my beloved Royal Bain! I get the impressions that people my miscontrue the nature of this great fragrance. The champagne reference, to me, is more literary than literal. It begins with an effervescence that conjures an idea of fizzing champagne, and mellows out into a soft and warm oriental fragrance. It does take a certain insouciance to pull it off maybe, but I always get compliments, and even more I love smelling it around me. It is definitely of its time, but is not an antique by any means. Rather, it transports me to a more carefree place mentally. Like all Carons, I found it took me living with the scent for a while before I really started to love it, though I had always liked it. I couldn't imagine not having it now. Not masculine or feminine, but hovering somewhere in the middle. Perfect for anyone who wants to be a little more glamorous.

expecto_patronum's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Citrico by Comme des Garçons

This cologne, the first time I smelled it, was like a strong soap. It actually almost made me a little nauseous. This was on a rainy, cold, day in March. About 3 months later, in June, it was a hot summery day. I tried it again. Suddenly, this scent was HEAVEN!!!!! Unfortunately, I only had 2 small decanters and try as I may to save it, it was too delicious, so they disappeared quickly.
    This is a fresh FRESH scent, very citrusy and clean. I don't know much about notes or anything, but it's definitely a scent that gets people's attention. I went to a Broken Social Scene concert wearing this and at least 5 different people commented on it.

I just WISH I could find it again!!

Basala / Basara by Shiseido

Shocking! Shockingly good! This cologne is amazingly kick butt, masculine and extremely spicy. The greatest aspect of this fragrance is that it is very enigmatic with a dash of mysteriousness about it. It smells nothing like others instead when people notice it they will surely ask you as to what you are wearing. It's probably one of the most unique fragrances I've ever had the chance to come across. There's also a smoky and woody character that gives a seductive aura to any man that wear this cologne. Words just simply cannot describe this cologne. I recommend this cologne to be worn during evening time especially out on date. Apply it with caution because it's very potent. Shiseido Basala it's an excellent fragrance and I highly recommend it.

Mackie for Men by Bob Mackie

I can't believe this fragrance is not more popular. An excellent clean/fresh scent that's much more complex than others fragrances out there (Polo Blue, Chrome, etc...). Great smell and decent scent with better than average lasting power. This fragrance is perfect for casual wear or outdoor activities but also it's nice for romance.

Aramis Life by Aramis

This cologne is mediocre at best. Don't believe the hype and just because a tennis star is promoting it doesn't mean a thing. Aramis is a very overrated cologne company and most of their stuff smells like puke. This attempt was better yet they added too much alcohol and not enough oil. It also is very faint, lasts very little with time and gets really boring quick. The stuff vanishes on your skin in 5 minutes. I don't know what Aramis was trying to do but the scent has no clarity. The sprayer jams a lot on me too. This has a Pour Monsieur by Chanel start and finishes like Old Spice. Not worth the money. Bad! bad! Bad! and very AWEFUL!!!

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Forever Krystle by Charles of the Ritz

Forever Krystle is sensational... it's a lasting fragrance that charms your senses and plays intrigue with your imagination... It's one of the first fragrances that made me feel grown-up, I was only about 15 and yet 15 years later it still makes me feel amazing and for that I will always have a very special place for it in my heart and on my nightstand... It's funny though how it reminds me of some of the new ones too, like Trouble by Boucheron.... I was sampling Trouble a while ago and loved it instantly, and although Trouble opens in a slightly different way the middle notes were the exact replica of my beloved Forever Krystle :)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Everybody knows that different fragrances smell differently from person to person. But there is another factor I don't think is commented upon as often, but it's exemplified by A*men. And that's that some fragrances, though quite beautiful smelling, just aren't the kind of odour you want to carry around with you. I wore this when it first arrived, for a few years. I really do love the smell, but unfortunately, it doesn't cope well on my skin (ends up smelling like burnt cake or something) but more importantly, even at it's best, I just don't want to smell like that - not for more than 5 minutes anyway. Maybe it's something to do with its gourmand nature - after all there are many foods that smell gorgeous - for example, whose mouth doesn't water at the smell of roast lamb? - but would you really want to spray that behind your ears? Nevertheless, it is a revelation, I want to give it thumbs up, but I'm afraid I can't.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This is not, to me, the most beautiful smelling fragrance, yet it is perfect, and surpasses all others. Why? Because it's my favourite to wear. While others may smell appealing (take Joop! PH for example, THE love-hate fragrance of all time) it's just not human to smell like that. After 5 minutes it's like a stain on the skin. But Bvlgari PH never feels anything but just right.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I keep changing my mind about this, I really want to like it, and sometimes, fleetingly, I do, but overall there's something gluey and headache inducing about it. I don't find it particularly warm and certainly not rich. It's dizzying, the way florals can be, and after a while it makes me feel as though I've been inhaling floral scented washing powder. Perhaps it's one I might come to like smelling on others, rather than on myself (though I've not come across anyone wearing it yet).

09 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 September, 2006)

rjrober22's avatar

Wood & Spices by Montale

Sweet and Woody scent, long lasting and VERY pleasant...by far my fave of the Montale line (of the many I've tried...not all)

scenteur7's avatar

Fever pour Homme by Céline

A dull and uninspired new fragrance, slightly reminiscent of the eponymous original Celine pour Homme. Tumulte for Men is a much better creation, not surprisingly from the same creators, InterParfums. Although its a nicely created woods and citrus aroma, the lasting power and sillage are disappointing and I can think of at least 5 other scents that I would prefer to wear before ever reaching for Fever.

selah's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

For some reason, this smells exactly like the scent of Christmas trees on me. I love that smell when it is on a tree, but it isn't necessarily something I wish to smell like. I guess I just don't have the right body chemistry to carry this one off!

shij421's avatar

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

Smells very similar to Swiss Army the original, but not as sweet. Anyhow, love the fresh scent =)

Stuffman's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This one's in a league of its own. When worn correctly, its gourmand notes are truly sublime, and depending on how much you wear, sure to attract attention. There is a critical issue with this scent, however- the way you apply it determines whether it smells sublime or repulsive. If sprayed too close to the body in small, concentrated "patches," it tends to give off a burnt, putrid smell. If sprayed far away and allowed to cover a large area, the scent will be much more smooth and smell just truly fantastic. If you have a sample vial that doesn't spray, don't even bother- there's no way you can put it on right without spraying it. A little goes a long way, and the scent seems to last forever. Definately something worth checking out.

09 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2006)

Stuffman's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

What a shame... this fragrance is nearly an exact ripoff of Creed's Millesime Imperial, right down to the "Mediterranean Air Accord." The only difference is that this smells cheap and synthetic, while Millesime Imperial smells natural, and MI's drydown is orders of magnitude better than this. That they would so blatantly rip off Creed is, well, Unforgivable.