Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Stuffman's avatar
    Stuffman

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

A good scent, but it's something I can't wear. I can't really explain it, but it literally hurts my nose when I smell it- almost like a dagger going through it or something- but at the same time, I find myself wanting to keep smelling it. It's very, very dry in nature and it seems like something that would be good on a very hot, humid night.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar
    takemyhusbandplz

Vanille Peach by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This is my first experience with any Comptoir Sud Pacifique perfume. I recieved an atomizer of this as an extra in a great swap. Vanille Peach is a scent that I would've never even tried on my own. Usually, I hate gourmande or any type of sweet overly foody scents. Among my favorite fragrances: Dolce & Gabbana pour femme, Shalimar, L'Air du Temps, Gucci Accenti, Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil etc- nothing foody usually works for me.

My experience with Vanille Peach has been wonderful. Vanille Peach smells just like peaches with a dap of cinnamon and heavy cream, tho, not too sweet or overtly foody. This really has enough body to be worn at night, winter or anytime. I don't consider myself to be into anything 'teeny bop' and in my opinion Vanille Peach isn't juvenile in the least bit. Actually, it's quite fullbodied, spicy and has the potential to perhaps be even sweetly vampy. All with out being cloying. Vanille Peach isn't really that expensive, as this is VERY long lasting with plenty of nice sillage. Bottleworthy!! I'm loving this! The last reviewer is correct- "good for my diet"!

takemyhusbandplz's avatar
    takemyhusbandplz

Love at First Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Another soapy white floral with a strange sweat like orange fresh note. At least this one was better than the original Glow. Not my cup of tea at all.

Tiffany by Tiffany

The orange, jasmine and rose notes in this creation play on my skin as a replica of Giorgio. I find this combination a bit too sweet and very "old 80's". In all fairness, when I sniff this juice from the bottle it smells much more lovely than when I wear it...chalk it up to chemistry!

yanna's avatar
    yanna

Oh! de Moschino by Moschino

I owned this years ago.. it was my first perfume ..i have mixed feelings about it ...like the first lover :)

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Where I live, Aqua Velva and Old Spice are de rigeur, so Acqua di Gio is not well known. That said, I don't like it. There's a sour grass note in the mix that one can easily achieve by spending a few hours in a silo.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Did you ever hear a song for the first time and love it, but then, by the 10th hearing, you're just sick of it? That is Eau Sauvage for me. Liked it very much long ago; now I just can't tolerate it.

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

Truly wonderful, though it took some getting used to. The opening notes are brilliant and astonishing but then they retreat and are gone. What is left is quite unlike the opening; soft and inviting. It's a bit like an Italian woman who slaps your face but then grabs your tie to draw you in close. Well wow.

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

Nice stuff: subtle, warm and unique. So unique that, on me, it smells like a Manhattan. I like that.

Herbissimo Juniper by Dana

The juniper in Herbissimo reminds me of Acqua de Selva, though with other scents in play. (Sorry, I am not savvy enough to know what the notes are). It is pleasant, sharp, lively and (to me) Italian. This is the stuff for a casual first date, hands down.

Herbissimo Mejorana by Dana

Lovely, soft, floral, woody whisper. Reminds me of Bogner's Deep Forest. I always get wonderful comments with this. Last well too.

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

Wonderful stuff; elegant without being snooty. It's a most comfortable fragrance that suggests gracious living. Perfect for semi-formal country outings or cocktails on the fantail. Caswell-Massey's best.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

I always liked this fragrance, though it is easy to over-apply. (Long ago, this was available in something called a "sounding" cologne: it was foam that crackled when you touched it.) Great scent, but not for every day. It is one of the few fragrances that is completely unique (well, to me) and also reasonably priced. Good for a day at the races.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I go back and forth with Polo green. I like the scent fine, but then...? I will tell you this, though: women adore it on me. That's another thing: stuff I particularly like to smell, women are so-so about. But with Polo (and with "Bitter Orange" by Agraria) I find a nose in my neck with delightfuly regularity.

Preferred Stock by Coty

Preferred Stock is just not for me, and I don't mind inexpensive fragrances. There is no personality here, just a mix of notes, with one note being noticeably sharp. It's not terrible, but I don't plan on wearing it again, ever.

Glacier by Jovan

Extremely pleasant but not inspired. I used this stuff during college when 4 oz. of after shave could be had for under ten dollars. There is no sophistication here; just a light, slightly warm, scent that lasts well.

Geir by Geir Ness

Some newer fragrances take a little getting used to, but not so with Geir. It is immediately accessible and good-smelling. I only have a small sample, but it's definately on my "must get" list. Bravo to the Norwegians who made this: it terrific.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Long ago I got a bottle of Kiehl's "Supurb" Musk Oil and supurb it was. It was a heavy liquid with a dipper and the fragrance was light and astonishing. Thinking this might be the same, I bought some samples of Kiehl's Original Musk Oil and what a disappointment. It's dirty all right.

absynthium's avatar
    absynthium

Bursch by Acqua di Biella

very good fragrance iper masculine it smells of rum and mate and envelops you in an oriental spicy cloud

bonni's avatar
    bonni

Spiced Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

On me, this is spicy, but not overwhelmingly so. It's a soft, very slightly sweet, warm spicy concoction, and it does, indeed, remind me very much of spiced tea. I get the best results when wearing in accompaniment with the Spiced Green Tea scented lotion.

It's a shame this has been discontinued. It can still be found at some online stores, so if you like it (or want to try it), grab some now while it's still there.

bonni's avatar
    bonni

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I ordered this for myself purely on recommendations. I was looking for a nice lavender-based fragrance and several people recommended this. Since I'm not afraid to "switch sides", I gave it a try.

Well, it's nice on me. I like it. The lavender-citrus opening notes are a little powerful on me, but that settles down and it becomes a nice, soft, clean soapy kind of fragrance.

And then I wanted to see what happened when my husband wore it, how it worked on him and with his skin and his chemistry and... WOW. I'm actually kind of shocked as to how VERY good it smells on him. Something about his chemistry really works with this and it's just fantastic.

The lavender, which was a too strong on me, is, on him, strong but light and fresh, and the development into the vanilla is just delicious. I would never have thought of him as a bloke who could wear vanilla comfortably, but in this fragrance, it really works.

I don't think I'll be wearing this one that much in the future, because I fully expect to enjoy it on him, instead! Fabulous!

Shycat's avatar
    Shycat

Un Lys by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I like it very much. It's a very true to flower fragrance, and feels quite genteel. After five hours its leaves just a trace of vanilla musk. But it is pure true lily. I try to catch the lilac note others have mentioned but cannot find it, except to the extent that a lily smells like a lilac. This is not lily of the valley. This is an armful of oriental and asiatic lilies, with their six inch blossoms and deep throats warm from the sun. There is a sense of thick, waxy petals as well as sturdy green stems. The vanilla note is ever so slightly spicy. I can't call it sweet. I can't put my finger on why, but I think it doesn't call up spring but summer, and heat. There is also an airy feel, very fresh yet not cool or moist. It is refined. Not innocent, but well heeled. Pretty Woman at the polo match. Beautiful in silk and lip gloss. No stockings.

db's avatar
    db
    Sweden Sweden

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I bought both the EdT and the Deodorant stick quite recently and I must say that the EdT is really good, but the deodorant stick was not of the same quality.

Not only did the Deodorant stick not have the same or even similar scent as the "actual" EdT but also managed to get me a severe skin rash almost immediately when I put it on. Within minutes of application I washed the Deodorant off but despite that I had the skin rash for a couple of days.

This means:

Thumbs DOWN = Deodorant stick
    Thumbs UP = EdT

In summary this must mean that my judgement must be NEUTRAL!

// dennis

Eggberj's avatar
    Eggberj

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I was recently out to dinner with my boyfriend, and he asked me what I was wearing. It was Opium. We got back to my apartment, he sniffed the bottle and said, "You know, from the bottle, I would think that I wouldn't like this. But ON you, it smells AMAZING." That's plenty enough for me to give a wholehearted thumbs up. And as a side note, it lasts forever. I smelled it on my wrists the next morning.

expecto_patronum's avatar
    expecto_patronum

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

I bought this scent when I was interning in NYC... It was divine at first - the warmth of the scent was like a nice blanket during December, both sweet and spicy. But after about a month of wearing it, BLV started to make me almost nauseous -- headache inducing and too overwhelming. I actually gave it to my friend in exchange for a bottle of El Dorado .. (rum. haha)

Francoise_Papiran's avatar
    Francoise_Papiran

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

Loewe pour Homme it's a very elegant, unique, clean and fresh scent. This is the typical mediterranean scent: timeless and masculine. Wonderful and a great secret tip; No mainstream scent!!! Loewe smell very similar to Lauder for Men by Estee Lauder but Loewe it's more warmer and sweeter in the dry down. Give a chance to this fragrance and you won't be disappointed.

rmlj's avatar
    rmlj
    Philippine Philippine

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

It looks classy, smells classy!

TAMIII's avatar
    TAMIII

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

This is not a very complex scent but I'm pleased to own it and wear it. For me, it is the perfect thing scent to wear when I am looking for something soft, not too intrusive, but fresh.

Poison by Christian Dior

Like a bowl full of blackberries drizzled with honey, this potion is nectar sweet - and men just seem to be attracted to it! I always come back to a little Poison now and again. The most wearable formulation is the Esprit de Parfum, and only a dab - Brilliant!

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

Bulgarian Rose
    Bourbon Vanilla Absolute
    Mysore Sandalwood
    Tonka Bean

On the one year anniversary of my initial sampling of ADDICT, I'm writing a "sequel" on this magnificent fragrance which has become my signature! Oriental in composition, this perfume is sensual with a capital "S"! Each note is exquisitely blended, each commanding it's share of the spotlight. Slightly spicy, sweet, almost incense-like in it's opening, ADDICT slowly and steadily drys down to a richly warm, sexy smooth base that projects just the right amount of sillage. Womanly. I can't imagine any man pulling this one off! I wear it with such comfort. When I'm dog tired of sampling fragrances that leave me flat, unsatisfied, and dissapointed I return to this magical blend; it feels like home. I'm not too suprised at the mixed reviews. ADDICT is not for everyone. (Thankfully, I must admit!) But it is for me. Hopefully you will be as lucky. THUMBS WAY UP! As a side note, the shower gel, deodorant and body lotion are all excellent. They are true to the scent and very worth their price in quality!

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2007)