Fragrance Reviews from March 2006

Tubérose Indiana by Creed

When I first applied this fragrance it smelled as if my nose were smack dab in the middle of the most sweet and dewy rose...after about 15 minutes it smelled exactly like White Shoulders. For the money, I'd go with the White Shoulders.

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

I like this in the heat of summer, Lacoste pour femme really keeps its freshness. I'd classify it as a mildly/sweetly spiced floral. If you are at the waterpark, beach, picnic, tennis match, or anywhere else that might find you 'glowing' (aka: sweating) this scent won't turn nasty on you! I've also used their roll on deodorant which also receives a thumbs up.

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche (2003 version) in my opinion is not much different from the original, launched in 1971. The current product lists Aldehydes - Rose - Oakmoss - Vetiver in its notes. For some reason I can never isolate the rose in it! Rive Gauche is not a recommendation for anyone having a serious aversion to aldehydes...you would most definitely not appreciate this scent...now that's out of the way, to the rest of you I say "dive right in" this mix of softness is actually sharp!?! Very clean. I would also think of this as a unisex fragrance...kind of suprised they bothered with a male formulation. Wonderful year around scent. It takes heat very well.

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2008)

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Thumbs WAY UP for Annick Goutal's Eau D'Hadrien! In the extreme heat of summer, this is true refreshment. I spend alot of time at the beach, and there is no better feeling than wearing this bright, lively fragrance while out in the mid-day sun - OR - after being out in a scorcher; coming home to shower and spritz on this re-energizing tonic!!! The citrus lemon is pure, light, and not sweet. Just clean summer freshness. Ahhhhhhhhh, I can hear the waves crashing already.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Eternity for Men in my mind is an all-purpose sort of scent. It's a manly blend that doesn't shout at you...more subtle, like - 'hey, I'm clean and put together, ready for whatever' - a good ol' standby! I especially like the assorted herbal notes that drydown to a solid trustworthy base of sandalwood, vetiver and amber. Very nice and dependable indeed.

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

Wonderful. I got a huge bottle of splash for everyday after-shave use and it's terrific. What I like about it is that it *doesn't* last terribly long, so by the time I am dressed I can put on something a little more interesting and long-lasting. I really need to try the edt, but the splash is just delightful. It is sharp, crisp and not overwhelmed with lavender - there is just enough. There's also a "sec" quality to this that I especially like. As I said, this stuff is wonderful.

Brut by Fabergé

Odd thing. I worked in broadcast TV for many years and had an opportunity to work with many celebs, including sports celebs. Brut is the stuff they used. Smelled fine. A little cheap, a little tawdry, but not horrible. What is odd is that these guys could afford the entire line of Creed in 8oz size, and yet selected Brut. I don't mind it, frankly, but anything more than a drop is overkill.

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2007)

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

Boy, does this stuff smell cheap. And yet some women like it? Go figure. I can't stand it, and agree with the reviewer who expressed surprise that Mr. Lauren would market such a nasty little scent.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Someone gave me a bottle of this stuff for Christmas and I wore it to be polite. There is nothing particularly good or memorable about it, but it's not terrible either. Strikingly so-so.

English Leather by Dana

It's a fine scent, fairly unique too. I wore it often to high school dances and parties and I am darn tired of it now. Still, for an inexpensive fragrance, it's better than most.

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

The old Greenbriar was a light delight: bracing, crisp and refined (but not formal). My girl-friend like it also and used it nearly as much as me. Sorry to hear it has changed. The old version was early cool Spring in a bottle.

Hai Karate by Leeming

O the horror, the horror!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

There is something about this I don't like, maybe the sharpness. That said, there is something about this I do like - probably the softer notes. Oddly, I bought a knock-off spray cologne of this stuff in a Dollar store that I much, much preferred. I bought the real thing, hoping it would be as good as the knock-off. The knockoff was softer, sweeter and more accessible. The formality of the real Ferrera, along with its sharpness, just doesn't work for me.

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

The first time I smelled Jovan Musk I thought it was great. That was back in the Disco '70s when I was young and didn't know beans. (I now know some beans). I think young guys (and some women) would just love this; but it is nothing I would wear these days unless I want to make my friends wonder what the hell happened to me.

Leather by Demeter Fragrance Library

Maybe the worst fragrance (leather or otherwise) I have ever experienced. After the thrill of Creed's Cuir de Russie, the knock-you-sideways Knize Ten, and Creed Vintage Tabarome - this stuff is a bottled nightmare. Demeter makes some wonderful stuff, but not this.

Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

This is fresh lilacs in a bottle and extremely well done. There is no complexity nor subtlety: it's simply lilac water. It is bracing, refreshing and invigorating. Extremely good on a hot day. However, this is not a fragrance to wear out. This is for you to splash on after a shower, or swimming, and to enjoy for the 30 minutes or so that it lasts. Highly under-rated in my opinion.

Mojo by Austin Powers by Gendarme

Addendum: This stuff calls me back again and again; it has become a real favorite. Took some getting used to, but it makes me feel very happy to wear this. It lasts well, with a lovely glowing sweet scent.

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2006)

Nine Flags: Ireland - Green Moss by Colton

As a young man I was given the whole set and used most of them. They provided a fine introduction to the world of fragrance and were (in memory now) very well made. I recall the Irish scent, green in color (what else?). It was light, slightly sweet and distinguised, a bit like the old Caswell-Massey Greenbriar. It did not last long; none of them did. The bottles were lovely little spheres.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Awful. I don't know which R.L. fragrance is the more horrid, Polo Sport or Chaps. I think these fragrances were created by a temp.

Skin Bracer by Mennen

If you're heading into farm country, or where there are trucker drivers with stained teeth, you'll blend right in wearing this stuff. Not for the faint of heart, and yet, it's a top drugstore seller.

Yardley Original by Yardley

I see that the launch date is 1992 for Yardley Original. Hm. I had a bottle of "Yardley" in the 1960s and it was among my first "real" colognes. It was spicy amber with a bit of sharpness to it that softened sweetly after 10 minutes. Not long after that I received a bottle of Yardley "Black Label" and that was a whole new world; much more complex and refined. But I am a loyal sort and the Original Yardley remained in front on the dresser. It was (and may still be) a wonderful masculine fragrance without being overpowering or cloying. Very fine; top marks.

St Johns Bay Rum by West Indies Bay Company

Tops. I think I was in college when my parents gave me a bottle of this and it was a real thrill. Still is. I don't know if this is the "original" Bay Rum but there is none better. I am out of stock at the moment and have some Caswell-Massey St. Thomas Bay Rum, which not as punchy, pungent and rip-roaring as the St. John's blend. I tell you, lads, that St. John's stuff will make you want to put a sabre between your teeth and climb the rigging. Oh arr!

bonni's avatar

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

Extremely well named. I got this as a free sample with another perfume order (picked it because I just happened to like the name) and found it to be fabulous.

It reminds me a fair bit of Tresor at the start (Tresor is my all-time favorite perfume, so this is good), and the works into a really nice spicy heart. The whole thing is very nicely constructed, very lush notes. I think it definitely lives up to its name.

bonni's avatar

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

What a shame this has been discontinued (I sincerely hope that the rumours that it will be brought back are true!).

I love this, although it's a "treat" fragrance for me, not one I wear regularly. I find it exotic, extremely sensual, and I love the tropical fruit notes (which is strange, because I'm not all that into fruity stuff).

It's very, very different from the fragrances I normally wear (mostly full-on florals), and I'm not the biggest fan of orientals, but this is one oriental I can love.

Max Mara by Max Mara

I agree that the dry down does not live up to the high expectations set by the top notes. While this is not one of my absolute favourites it still has its uses. I will keep it to spritz on a scarf on cold wintry days when I need a warm and comforting fragrance to nuzzle into.

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

Love this frag on my husband.There is real depth to the intoxicating blend of lime, nutmeg (coconut?) and spices. This one is totally masculine and very 'nuzzly'!

Midnight Bloom by Stila

For me sweet fig is most evident in the opening notes giving way to a divinely smooth blend of gardenia and amber which remains true in the drydown. Am not overly fond of sandalwood but it
    is subtly restrained here. This is one of my absolute faves - a delicious, unique fragrance which I shall keep for very special occasions as I don't ever want to tire of it! I also think it has great staying power.

createobject's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

Lovely bit of coconut in this one. It was this dimension of the fragrance that stuck out at me right away and actually induced me to purchase it.

I will agree, though, that it has weak staying power.

For the time that it does last, however, it's quite nice - very sweet.

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

Baraja by Acqua di Biella

Finally, I couldn't resist and purchased a bottle of Baraja even if I worried about its lasting power. Now, I got addicted to this scent. It really smells a bit like fabric softener (in a positive way), very clean, fresh, slightly fruity. And it lasts surprisingly long on me. It stays very close to my skin, compareable to the Gendarme fragrances, but I can detect it even after several hours. A feel-good scent suitable for any occasion.

JJ21's avatar

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

I know a few women who wear mens' fragrances for variety's sake and simply because there are notes that they like that are not commonly found in womens fragrances. However, Cool Water Woman is so good, that I'm almost tempted to wear it myself (it reminds me of Escape for Men for some reason...) Everytime I smell this on a female friend, I'm given a positive impression and consider it one of the all time 'fresh/fruity' scents.