Fragrance Reviews from April 2006

audrey's avatar

Germany Germany

Silences by Jacomo

Elegant floral chypre, feels like a happy marriage between Coco Chanel and Diva Ungaro,though both came some years later, but more fresh, green and less loud. The name, the black bottle and the general feeling are quite melancholic, but not in a depressing way, rather serene and calm. A definite classic, it goes smoothly through the notes, giving a somewhat powdered woody drydown.

czesc's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

very similar to dior's exclusive line Cologne Blanche - anyone agree?

Obsession by Calvin Klein

exceptional. nothing to compare it to. a great classic. 45+

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

this perfume will mess with your heart. and the body will not remain unaffected. the first morning of the world. this is lightyears of philosophy in merely a fragrance

Curious by Britney Spears

come on... give it up while your ahead. i love elizabeth arden, though

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

dark, mysterious, all-around gothik smell. definitely for the younger crowd. very difficult to wear. you must be a very strong and masculine person to accompany the slightly feminine scent. do i detect a hint of grapes, maybe red wine? it really turns me on when my lover wears it.

Giordano's avatar

Versace Man by Versace

Very interesting. I was at a department store just walking through the perfume section when this woman accosted my friend and me with a bottle of Man. She sprayed it twice on his arm and then on mine, then she said "Ooooh you have light skin, it'll be marvellous on you!" and sprayed some more.

I didnt realize at the time how nice it was (you know how it is with all those other fragrances around) or I would have asked for a sample. Only as we walked out the door and met up with our female friend who had been in the women's perfumes did I realize it. She sniffed me and said "mmm you smell like man" and she couldn't stop smelling me the whole way home.

As for staying power, I took a shower and I can still smell it as if I hadn't.

kewart's avatar

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I have only tried a small sample of this scent and may need time to "get" it. It strikes me as rather heavy and somewhat masculine at first sniff. I would perhaps wear it to a funeral or other such solemn occasion, but to me it is rather a joyless creation. Certainly not a mood -lifter and just too dark and melancholy for my taste.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Bouquet Impérial by Roger & Gallet

Memories of Paris in the 1890s. A soiree at the apartments of the great tragedienne Berma. They are all there: the Princesse and the Duchesse de Guermantes, the Marquise de Villeparisis, the Princesse de Parme, the Baron de Charlus, and, seated on a chaise longue, a pale and somewhat tired Marcel.
    A dimly lit interior, potted palms, a songbird in a gilded cage, a ray of afternoon sun piercing the thick gold brocade of the curtains, exotic eastern carpets, wrought iron spiral staircases, vases of orchids and lilies.
    'And tell me, Monsieur le Baron,' inquires Berma, 'what do you think of Bouquet Imperiale?' 'Definitive luxury,' replies de Charlus, 'if even with a hint of stuffy Victoriana. Quaint aesthetic depth, sheer sophistication, aristocratic shadows, ornate murmurs, while, against the closed windows, throbs the babble of commerce and democracy.'

notjohn1980's avatar

Voyage by Nautica

This very clean fresh smelling fragrance is perfect for daytime use.

Tovah's avatar

Hiris by Hermès

Hiris is the scent of a fresh, cool spring breeze carrying the scent of iris blooms. It smells airy, and light, yet as it dries down it gains a greenness and the floral intensifies. Truly lovely. An usual fragrance that captures just a hint of mystery.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

MUSTY! It reminds me of a dead rose pressed in between the pages of an old book.

QuietEarth's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

I wasn't impressed at first. But slowly, over time, I have almost come to grips with this. Although I prefer slightly heavier colognes, this one does seem to come across as fairly classy at first, but with a fair amount of fruit hitting my nostrils, which I am not overly fond of. However, I do like the fact that it kind of sneaks up on me under the radar. Not too heavy (as long as you don't splash it all over yourself) and it doesn't last as long as I would like. Not bad, but not my favourite.

180gVinyl's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Decided to be a guinea pig for various fragrances today: Some successful, some less so

This scent was purchased on the basis of the basenotes awards, unfortunately we don't get on

An overpowering chocolate blast is too much, I'm afraid

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Just as with the patchouli blend in Aromatics, I get a sum-total of "urine" when I smell this one. Very frustrating...I *know* that I love patchouli, but not like this.

Shycat's avatar

Gardenia by Jalaine

This is a very unusual, special, fragrance. I am in love with it! It may be a gardenia, or it may not be! It is pungently green, and softly sweet and a bit vanillic. The only other scent it reminds me is Diptyque Philosykos, but it's a feminine and floral kind of uber green. It doesn't last all day, as it dries down to a softly sweet, vanillic, musk. That 3 hour green note is enough to make it worthwhile.

The bottle is a half of the purchase. It is a solid, heavy, chunk of cut crystal with a central well for the oil. The edges are beveled. The oil is potent and two drops constitutes a wearing. The stopper is another chunk of clear crystal. The photo doesn't do it justice, as it has a refractive coating which catches the light in an auroral manner so that it is a different color from different angles. Green and pink are replaced with apricot and cornflower which are replace with fuschia and blue. It unscrews from the metal neck and has a glass dabbing rod. They should sell refill oil!!! But my plan is to have this bottle and reuse it with any other oil I ever find that needs a home. My son covets it desparately !!!

But enough about the bottle. I fell for the oil from a passed along sample in a plain little vial and ziplock bag. And I absolutely advise sampling before you buy it !!!

Dirt by Demeter Fragrance Library

A moist, loamy potting soil. Quite accurate and quite pleasant, though it fades alarmingly fast down to a transparent and undemanding patchouli-like note.

Wet Garden by Demeter Fragrance Library

Freshly crushed leaves dominate the opening, eventually giving way to humid earthiness and light florals. Very evocative -- though more of a flower shop than of a garden -- with respectable tenacity for a Demeter.

Mojito by Demeter Fragrance Library

Unexpectedly appalling. The marketing for this fragrance sets up an expectation for something fun, refreshing, summery, and ultimately edible. Instead, I get no mint, no rum, and only the most inaccurate and cheaply synthetic of limes backed up by the kind of musky, powdery sweetness that doesn't belong anywhere near a beverage. To top off the insult, the powder proceeds to overstay its welcome by several hours after everything else fades.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

This has to be my fav D&G fragrance and one of my fav female fragrances of all time. It is absolutely stunning on a female. I wouldn't consider wearing it my self but I adore the moments when I catch a whiff of it.

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

The lavender and leather is ok but the overall feel is very animalistic and doesen't suit me.

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

Lemmon on top of fig and thyme. I like the drydown ok but the lemmon in the mix makes the overall fragrance sickening. I also cannot stand tonka beans.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Lemmon on top of tobacco. Simply rancid! I am one of those who cannot stand this putrid concoction.

Apparition Homme by Ungaro

My first impression was that it was a clone of Chrome by Azzaro. I asked a lady what she thought of it and she said it smelled like a scented tampon!

Legendary Harley-Davidson by Harley-Davidson

Legendary Harley-Davidson was my first cologne: a gift of my mother when I was 14 or so.
    It was my signature for years and I still think it's great: simple and sensual, masculine and intelligent, with this fragrance I started to love patchouli and sandalwood.
    I wore it day and night, but I put nearly double quantities for the night since it doesn't last.
    I read it's similar to XS by PAco Rabanne and I admit I like it very much too, but XS is much more aggressive. I NEVER put XS when I went to school, while I had no problems with Harley Davidson.

Silver Light by Escada

A little bit effeminate on me, I still think it's wearable in many occasions in which you want something fresh but not so "cool" like Cool Water.
    A litle complicated: that's its strongeness and weakness at the same time.
    One negative note: it doesn't last on me more than 3 hours or so.

Sybaris by Antonio Puig

This is the first fragrance I bought only after having read reviews instead of having tried it myself.
    The bottle charmed me, the name too and the reviews confirmed it. It's the scent I was loking for!
    I'm half-Mexican half-Italian and Sybaris remembers me of the colognes that many adult people (uncles and maybe my father too, but I know he used Antaeus at the time) wore in Mexico during my childhood.
    It revives some part of me that sleeps most of the time...
    Speaking of the notes, I think the Cumin is the touch of class: you cannot find a Mexican dish without Cumin!
    My thanks to all the reviewers of Sybaris and to Antonio Puig.

P.S.: I'm in my first 20s, not in my late 30s, but I care not! It's a matter of personality instead!

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Zino was the first cologne I really chose for me and I must say I went for it after having fell in love with Davidoff cigarettes years before. I first tried Cool Water and Deep and I loved them, but I wanted something more... More Davidoff! And Zino is that thing: I can spray it right under my nose and nearly reach ecstasy. Don't bother the ones who tell you that this isn't good when you meet a girl: intelligent girls will associate you with Zino's class and richness. Because classics always have something to teach.

Slinkybabes's avatar

Emporio Armani She by Giorgio Armani

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this scent, it is an all time favourite of mine!!! It's sexy, sweet, warm and adorable...I have had many bottles of this and can't live without it...It's great for day time use or layer it up for night, when I wear this people know it :0)

Slinkybabes's avatar

Emporio Armani City Glam for Her by Giorgio Armani

I sprayed this on in town and couldn't wait to get home and wash it off.....it STUNK, it actually made me feel sick, my hubby hated it too!!! Gotta be up there as one of the worst scents I have ever smelt....Disappointing because i love 'she' & like 'white' but not this!!!!Brrruuuu