Fragrance Reviews from April 2006

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

To me this is similar to Curve by Claiborne and not any more wearable. Nicely made scent, but not something I could ever wear.

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

where to start with this gem. good god, this scent is superb. it's sex in your face. it starts off with a note reminiscent of the monkey house at the zoo. don't plan on spraying this scent less than 20 minutes before you come in contact with anyone because the top notes are horrid. however, when it settles, it's brilliant. sexy, rich musk that is sweet and sexy and a mindblower. the complexity of this scent and the drydown make the horrid top notes worth suffering through. not for everyone, but this scent packs a wallop.

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

I wish I could wear this one. A dark and meaty citrus scent that has a ton going on. In many cases this scent is a formal summer scent that challenges the wearer and has more heft to it than any citrus based scent I've ever encountered. However, this scent is extraordinarily tempermental on my chemistry and at times will turn rancid and sickly smelling on my skin. I would like to wear it more often, but not knowing if it's going to be great or a trainwreck makes it impossible for me to wear. Too bad because it's a great scent.

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

Extremely nice scent and as the scent has been around for 140something years, surprisingly contemporary. Very fresh lavendar scent that plays well with casual attire and spring weather. Lasting power isn't the best, but it's worth a try for everyone.

Santal Impérial by Creed

Great scent, from a great era for this house. Nice creamy and mildly spicy sandalwood scent that is a nice change of pace from the usual overly dry sandalwood based scents. Funny note, my kids told me I smelled like a Quesadilla while wearing it.

Vétiver by Creed

This one is wonderful and a prime example of why this house is held in such high regard. It's, as you would expect, Vetiver dominant but it's not the kind of Vetiver you'd find it Guerlain's or MPG's that radiates and overtakes the whole scent. It's the centerpiece, but doesn't overtake the other notes. To echo Mike, it runs circles around anything put out by the house in the past 20 years.

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Sadly, this turned to rotten flowers on my skin. It's starts out interesting, but my chemistry shreads this one and it turns into something that reminds me of a garden after the first frost. In addition, the projection is non existent.

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Nice, but woeful projection and lasting power. I would like to wear it, but I coulnd't detect it 10 minutes after application.

Brit for Men by Burberry

it got panned on the board a bit, but I'm a big fan of this. It's not overly complex or overly strong. It's a wonderful casual scent that illicits a great deal of positive feedback. Perfect for a weekend of casual shopping or lunch. Excellent scent and another winner from Burberry....now if they can just do something about the clothes :)

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Interesting problem with this scent. When I got a sample vial of the scent, It was extraordinary.....second only to Malle's brilliant Vetiver Extraordinaire. However, after getting a fully bottle, it turned horrid on my skin. So I returned to the sample vial and then loved it again. Figuring I had a bad bottle, I tried it from the sample vial applicator and then found it was great. Here's the problem: in doses so small you have to hold your wrist to your nose to detect it, it's fabulous. In any semblance of a dose big enough to project, it didn't work on me. Too bad because it's very interesting. Just doesn't work with my chemistry.

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

There are three amber scents that are all similar to each other: Ambre Sultan, Ambre Precieux and then Ambre Extreme. Of the three, this is the top of the lot. If there's a better sweater for a cold winter day with a sweater on, I've yet to see it. Warm, sweet amber dominates and the lasting power is nothing short of extraordinary. It projects without being in your face. It's warm and never fails to give me an instant feeling of comfort upon trying it. A must try for fans of amber scents.

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Big disappointment. As a lover of clean musk scents like Musc Alize and Bvlgari Pour Homme, I was anxious to try this one. It's thinner than most Lutens, but comes off as smelling like hairspray and ending up being a nice musk scent. The huge price tag though makes this a big let down. Not worth it at all.

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Awful! It smells like a vanilla milkshake left to wilt in the sun. Sickly sweet and cloying as they come. I couldn't wash this one off fast enough, and my tastes run towards the sweet side of scent. There's countless scents that use vanilla better than this one does. Beware a blind buy on this one......

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Superb. While it lacks the lasting power to make it a regular in the rotation, it's an interesting take on pepper and quite stunning. With each wearing, it takes on different facets. Like much of the L'artisan scents, it's a scent for yourself and people you want to experience it. I'm quite happy that they sell this outside the Epices de Passion set. One of the better, and more unique, pepper based scents available

D'Humeur Massacrante by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Lots of cinnamon and very quite. Definitely an aquired tastes, but popular amongst the nine year old set.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

A disappointment of epic proportions. It's not bad, but it's essential an Au Fraiche version of Amen. It's nice, but I expect more from this house. Take out the tar and heavy chocolate note from Amen and you'd have this. Big let down and not worth it to my nose. Too bad.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda by Comme des Garçons

Think of a Demeter scent with heft. It's what it says it is.....lemon lime soda, but quite nice and does have a great deal of substance. A wonderful summer scent and has decent lasting power for a citrus scent.

Original Vetiver by Creed

The comparisons to Mugler Cologne are justified. At first whiff this scent is a striking clone of it. However, there are a great deal of differences that warrant having both in your wardrobe. After the first half hour, the basenotes of vetiver comes into the fray and makes this a very nice, if unspectacular, scent that works in most situations. I didn't care for it at first, but it grew on me after awhile. Typical nicely made, safe, unoffensive modern Creed.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Big thumbs down on this scent. I came in with high hopes, but found nothing to warrant another wearing. It has a horridly synthetic salty feel to it that turns rancid on my skin. If you're looking for an easily accesibly aquatic scent, stick with L'eau Par Kenzo. This did nothing for me aside from make me want to wipe it off as it got progressively cheaper smelling on me as time went on.

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This scent makes me feel like I'm at an upscale restaurant and saw something that sounded like it should be good but ends up leaving me hungry and completely unsatisfied. It just doesn't work and has no lasting power at all. Soak some pinapple lifesavers in water and save yourself $100.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Typical Lutens sledgehammer oriental that left no impression of any kind. I've worn it four times now and can't remember a thing about it aside from seeming like something they'd put out. That speaks volumes.

Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Sadly it's not available in the US very readily. This scent is wonderful. While it's compared by some to Play-doh, that's not the thrust of the scent. It's almond and white musk and really stunning. Sadly though, it's hard to find in these parts.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A vetiver based scent that I can't get a beat on. It's extraordinarily dry. I can't get a strong feeling for it either way, though there are some days where it works. It's a scent that's unique enough to warrant trying, but I really can't get a full bearing on what I think of it. I have to be in the exact perfect mood to wear it....regretfully that isn't very often. It has enough going on in it to warrant a test drive, but I can't figure out what it's trying to do.

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The best scent put out in the last 3 years. This is a total mindblower. It's a typical thick and syruppy Lutens that comes off a lot like Amen without the lavendar. Rich caramel and tar in this one. Outstanding lasting power and it projects without being over the top. Fabulous scent and one that lives up the reputation of this house. A must try.....too bad it's only available in the EU.

Original Santal by Creed

Wow is this horrid. I had the misfortune of applying one spray to my wrist at Neiman Marcus. This scent is one of the more powerful Creed scents out there, and in this case, that's not a good thing. It's a typical heavy sandalwood based scent with zero vision and even less wearability. Only one spray was enough to make my 87 year old Grandmother tell me I smelled terrible and that I was wearing too much "aftershave" and my sister (who was at a separate place and never comments on scents) tell me to, "take it easy with the cologne". Santal Noble does this far better and is far more wearable. Another in a long line of disappointments from the modern Creed noses.

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Picture a CSP scent with a soul. Fabulous scent. I can't say enough about this one. Fresh orange blossom and citrus that positively sings in hot and humid weather. While the lasting power is typical of a citrus scent, this one is beyond words and the best of its genre. Amazing scent.

Tovah's avatar

Sha by Alfred Sung

Sha is a fresh lilac with a clean musk base that's lovely in hot weather. It's a soft, natural lilac fragrance that has good lasting power, and it's so pretty.

Tovah's avatar

Paris Roses Enchantées by Yves Saint Laurent

Enchantees is my favorite of the Paris Premiere line. It's similar to the original Paris and the sparkling, bright quality can't be missed. Enchantees is much fresher though, and very clean (not soapy!). As it develops it smells like an outdoor garden, including the scent of fresh grass, and it's not as "perfumey" as original Paris (which I love). In Enchantees,the orange blossom mixes beautifully with the rose, and it smells less and less like original Paris, and more and more like Rosine Rosa Flamenca while developing on my skin. There are very subtle, but noticeable notes of warm lilac that give the fragrance as a whole a feeling of a breeze catching the scent of fresh flowers. It's appropriately named, too. If I had an enchanted garden I would want it to smell like this!

bonni's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I suspect it's mostly my own chemistry, which has a peculiar tendency to turn things very sweet, but on me Coco Mademoiselle is just sythetically syrupy and not very pleasant, particularly in the top notes, which remind me far too much of cough syrup. The middle notes are a little better, but still too sweet, and the base notes get very synthetic and fade into something flat, vaguely sweet, and generally unpleasant.

I wish I could find a Chanel perfume that I like and which smells good on me, but this isn't the one, unfortunately.

15th April, 2006

flee's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

To me something turns me off about this 1 it may be the patchouli in it. Its too much. There are soo many other scents out there that I put before this 1 and I would rather wear. Would I buy this? Noo

15th April, 2006