Fragrance Reviews from April 2006

parisa's avatar

Max Mara by Max Mara

Really elegant scent...not for everyday mom-wear. Wears beautifully for evening (formal) events.

Pepper's avatar

Brit Red by Burberry

Starts out nice, but as it warms up and dries down, the gingerbread part becomes very strong and makes me want to cough or choke. A li

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

At first I thought it smelled too strong of alcohol. I finally got around to wearing some on my skin and found that the sharp scent was there but with a more defined dry down. The woman I have been dating treats this scent like sex in a bottle but overall I will only wear it once in a great while and with a "gold buttoned down shirt". :)

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

My first impressions of this were that way too much alcohol was used in manufacturing this scent. I received it in the mail today, a co-worker sprayed it in the air to sample the fragrance, and both her and my work area complained that it smelled too strong and perfusely.

I finally bored up enough courage to apply a spray onto my skin about 2 hours later and felt the same as the rest of the office. After about 5 minutes of dry-down I became utterly amazed that it smelled as great and floral as it did. I found myself sniffing my wrist multiple times throughout the day and received a fair amount of compliments from the people who had complained earlier.

On average I would say 1 in 6 people do not approve but I am satisified with my $20.00 investment. If I had to pay more towards retail cost I might skip over it. For $20.00, the overall floral fragrance, and the lasting power of about 3/4 of my work day leaves me not complaining.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I have received great reviews and compliments from women on this fragrance until it dies off in about 1-2 hours. I find myself bathing in it to make the scent last for a longer period of time. If it had a lot longer lasting power I would probably appreciate it even more. Overall it is ideal for a spring or summer day for me and is definately appreciated by the younger women.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

First of all, I tried Kenzo's Flower EDP expecting to hate it. As, the last 2 Kenzo perfumes I hated with a passion. Violets, vanilla and a very delicate rose are the main notes on my skin. This has to be the most realistic violet note; hence the powdery feel of Flower. I have to say this is one of the only violet perfumes that doesn't turn dusty smelling on my skin. Also, the rose note in Flower EDP is so well done. It's not a synthetic, heavy, overtly perfumey rose like most others I've tried. It's really a delicate and light rose undertone. On my skin this smells cool, modern and just beautiful. Flower is very long lasting too, with wonderful sillage.

Keep this in the refrigerator for a wonderful refresh on a warm sunny day. I love to spritz on after I get inside from planting flowers.

Calèche Eau Délicate by Hermès

Well, looks like I'm the first bad review for Caleche eau Delicate! For some reason, on my skin this smells just like very strong celery seed. The lasting power (as in all Hermes scents) is incredible. This does soften to something soft and somewhat tolerable, but to me not worth the 120 minutes of smelling like a spice jar full of celery seed. On my swap list :)

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I love the Women's version and I also love this version on my husband. Very sexy.

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

Have you tried Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue? Yes? Then you've tried Shanghai Butterfly! On my skin they are identical. In fact I'd bet money that in a blind sniff test 99.9% of testers would not know the difference. If you have Light Blue, I wouldn't purchase! I will give this a neutral because it's so similar to Light Blue and Light Blue is longer lasting.

Incanto Charms by Salvatore Ferragamo

2.75 stars I'd give this. Incanto Charms starts out with the most mouth-watering passion fruit and apple smelling note. Then after it marinates on the skin for 20-30 minutes that honeysuckle just grows and grows, until it over takes the pretty fruit notes. I really think this is a case of me just not having the right chemistry for this one. Most honeysuckles turn overtly sweet then rancid with my body chemistry. I much prefer Incanto Dream to this!

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Antaeus by Chanel

Evening wear.
    The ultimate non-adolescent scent.
    Women miss this; like they miss masculinity, elegance, and wit. What more can one say?
    It has a slight touch of tragedy, it conjures up past loves, moonlit nights. Romance. The bravery to approach beautiful women. Quiet confidence. Self worth.
    No, you don't have to be tall dark and handsome to wear this--though if you are, and are using another frag, you're making a mistake.

Masterful.
    08 July 2009

(July 8th? Had to cut and paste today, 10/1 as former review was lost in cyberspace)

21st April, 2006 (Last Edited: 02 October, 2009)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Geir by Geir Ness

My winter version of Le Roy Soliel, something to lounge in jeans and raw silk shirts, as you hold court ever so casually. It's an amazing oriental frag that is not the least bit cloying. Still, being an edp, beware of the trap of over dousing, as some reviewers already noted.

The scenario that winters to mind (sorry, couldn't resist) that springs to mind is standing with your true love, at Yosemite, The Grand Canyon, The Fjords or Alps, or some equally breathtaking wonder of the woods, holding her hand and watching the sun rise over the mountains at dawn.
    Of course if you don't have true love, it's also a great clubbing scent that doesn't club any girl over the head unlike, say, Platinum Egoiste--to name the best of the 'loud bunch'

Enjoy!

21st April, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

aubrgene's avatar

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

I'm a fan of strong, masculine, leathery scents. This one fits the bill--- reminds me a bit of Trussardi Uomo, though I prefer the latter.

aubrgene's avatar

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I smell oranges/citrus at first and turns into the vanilla/sandalwood drydown. This one is one of my favorites in warmer months. Love it!

cK be by Calvin Klein

ck one's partner in crime, I use the soap in the shower its nice and clean, its not something I would wear as a fragrance tho

cK one by Calvin Klein

if you put all your pretentions aside (check my wardrobe) this is really not a bad scent. I find it similar in concept to gendarme but a bit sweeter. Its a truly unique scent and I have to give it a thumbs up

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

much better put together than epices noir in my opinion, very sweet and musky with a bit of amber and perhaps some woods? however it doesnt really have any je ne sais quoi to it to make it bottleworthy. this will end up another sampled and filed perfume in my history books.

Cuir de Russie by Creed

very dated, not something a young guy such as myself could wear (im 22). Its very very lemony to start and dries down into a pleasant but cold leather. I could see this really working on an older guy but its not something a young fly gangsta such as myself could work

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

very musky rose, try rose muskimee by MPG, its the same concept but better on the drydown in my opinion.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

its nice but its a little too light for my tastes, really doesnt announce your presence, and it stays very close to the skin on the drydown. I always thought I smelled a bit of cedar on the drydown which is not one of my favourite woods. overall I give this a thumbs up from an objective perspective.

Cannelle Orange by L'Occitane

This is, without a doubt, the most unattractive and painful fragrance I have ever experienced. It smelled like hell on me and my friends who were brave enough to try it. I tried to give it away, but no one would take it. I finally left it at my sister's house and ran away.

Heliotrope by Etro

I love Etro scents. So, I bought Heliotrope without even sniffing it. That was a mistake. I suppose every fragrance house has to make at least one thing I will detest, and this is the one for Etro. It begins WAY TOO STRONG. It made me sick. Two hours later, it had settled enough for me to appreciate some subtlety. I don't have the patience or the stomach to try it again, so I gave it away. Better luck next time, Etro. I still love you.

Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Gorgeous, rich, beautiful sandalwood in a mysterious blend. The ingredients are somehow familiar but just out of touch. Like other LV scents, this one is not afraid to make a statement, and I prefer to wear it in the evening. Don't get me wrong. You can wear it to work, but it is so rich and delicious you will spend most of the day sniffing yourself, and that could lead to trouble, at least where I work. It isn't cheap, but I splurged on a bottle and couldn't be happier.

Royal Pavillon by Etro

Do you remember White Shoulders? So does Etro.

Rumba by Ted Lapidus

This is a nice fragrance for early spring. It reminds me a lot of the early spring when the pyracantha bushes in the backyard started to bloom with their tiny little white flowers. The fragrance would fill the whole back yard and the fragrance was a kind of pungent "plant-like" fragrance, not really that sweet. Although this fragrance isn't real sweet, it kind of reminds me of Creation by Ted Lapidus. I would recommend it for a woman in her forties.

Talisman by Balenciaga

Yes, a gourmand indeed. It kind of reminds me of a women's version of Rochas Man. They are both sweet indeed. Talisman is a VERY long-lasting fragrance, so you get your money's worth. After it dries down, it becomes a bit more powdery, but I don't see the resemblance to Angel, Scenteur7. I do though smell a little gingerbread in there somewhere, but not overwhelmingly so. This fragrance is probably geared more towards the ends of the spectrum, either a very young lady or a older "motherly" type.

Caesars Woman by Caesars World

A lovely floral sharp fragrance. Yes, I do smell the incense, but it is nice and not overpowering. Definitely a unique fragrance. Ingredients: SD Alcohol 39C, fragrance, so high in fragrance concentration, and lasts ALL day. A wonderful signature fragrance for any woman.

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

FOOLS!!! Why would Balenciaga discontinue the BEST of their men's fragrances? This was one of my favorites for a long time. They discontinued their namesake fragrance for men. What does that tell you about the company? It most likely and very probably has to do with greed. Perhaps they didn't sell as much of it as they had wanted, but why did they keep all the other fragrances which don't even compare to this FABULOUS fragrance?!?! The only thing I've found that comes close is Lapidus EDT by Ted Lapidus. I wonder if Balenciaga will ever bring this fragrance back, perhaps when the fragrance fads change. They were definitely stupid to discontinue this GREAT classic fragrance. Perhaps poor management or just plain disrespect for those customers like me who LOVED the original Balenciaga for men.

Caesars Man by Caesars World

Yes, I remember this well when it was popular in the early '90s. Yes, it does smell a little like Drakkar, but a little more green in my opinion, maybe like Duc de Vervins. There was also a fragrance I bought at that same time called X Louis (don't know who the manufacturer is). I think perhaps it might even smell a bit like Gucci Nobile. I LOVE this fragrance. The ingredients are SD Alcohol 39C, fragrance--that's all--no water, so this fragrance lasts ALL day. I try to only buy fragrances that have alcohol and fragrance as they last a LONG time. I try to stay away from fragrances where the ingredient order is water then fragrance. The ingredients are listed in order of their content, the first ingredient being the most. Also, if you shake a bottle of cologne/EDT, the bubbles will remain longer if there is more oil. There are some fragrances that when I shake them, there are no bubbles lingering, reflecting the fact that they are indeed week and don't last on the skin. Look for LONG BUBBLE ACTION! Anyway, I prefer Caesar's Man over those mentioned because it lasts longer than those.

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

This fragrans is already light, and a lighter version would probably be undetectable or totally invisible. I think instead of making a light version, they probably should have made a stronger version, an EDP. Who's in charge at Balenciaga, probably the same %#*&$ that discontinued the ORIGINAL Balenciaga Pour Homme. This is a night light fragrance and after it dries down it leaves a light tobacco scent which is very reminiscent of Tabarome by Creed, a light biting tobacco note. I love it, but would have preferred this in an EDP (or Millesime so-called by Creed). No bad and not overbearing. Not as sweet as Pi either and NO COMPARISON WHATSEVER to JOOP!. I think Joop! smells like sweet "freezer pops" that you give to your kids in the summer. I think Cristobal is a little more formal and would probably get compliments from men, women, and those in between like me, lol!

21st April, 2006 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2007)