Fragrance Reviews from April 2006

Jon_Remy's avatar

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

When I first sprayed this on, I thought it smelled VERY similar to Opium for Women. However, after it dried down, yes, it smelled classy and like a "pool of whispering Gold," which is Naed Nitram's description. Thanks, Naed Nitram (Dean Martin spelled backwards) for your accurate description. I do smell cedar in there somehwere and feel this fragrance would probably be best suited for the end of summer, beginning of fall, and into winter.

jpara's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Great for the evening out, smells great the entire time. The drydown remains with me a long time. Still isn't so popular that everyone in the club is wearing it yet. Enjoy!

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

The only fragrance by Calvin Klein i truly enjoy. I just love the mandarine and other citrus notes which create a very serene, pure and stylish atmosphere. Clean-cut tour de force, before Klein started creating many disturbing " modern" fragrances which led the concept of modernity on unbearable experimental ( or rather failed experiments) levels.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Extremely sweet, not a discreet and barely perceptible sweetness but a heavy touch of caramel. Not incidentally a pink bottle...pink like box of very synthetic and completely unilateral candy. Overdown sandalwood, extremely powdery and extremely strong in the bad sense of the word, like Amen or Lagerfeld classic, all of these reminding of very stuffy and very repulsively sweet sandalwood incense with a hint of extremely sugary, otherwise almost tasteless soft-drink with excessive artificial sweetener. Besides, in larger quanities, it becomes even more unbearable.

Lynx Orient / Axe Orient by Axe / Lynx

Tough not my taste when i first smelled it, i remember its notes- which by the way smell genuinely oriental and not like some cheap by-product- with great delight. It reminds me of the days when i didn't use any perfume at all( partly because i was to small, partly because i wouldn't have fancied , especially Oriental , scents, irrespective of age)but now this strictly platonical reminder of a chance never taken makes me a little nostalgic, especially since this one was discontinued.

Nike for Men by Nike

Much more pleasant to me than other sporty fragrances, i genarally avoid this cathegory, yet this one smells more than nice and has a good lasting power. Fine sweet notes, very ozonic and cooling, tough a little neutral towards the middle, and very precious spicy, almost Oriental touches towards the end- which, to my surprise, don't smell synthetic, but even more expensive than its actual price cathegory. Even the bottle is innovative, practical and handy.

Venezia Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

While the female version is an exquisite, but slightly heavy Oriental, this one is surprisingly fresh and more one the aquatic side. Airy and discreet citrus notes, even a touch of salty, humid air. Pungent and astringent up to the point of being antiseptic yet much lighter than Roma Uomo, a scent which i also love, but which may not be as light and easy to wear like Venezia Uomo.

Prêt à Porter by Coty

Back to my school days and the dancing classes when all my teeage female classmates wore this one, not only because it was ridiculously affordablde, but also because it was considered high-fashion due to a regretable herd instinct. What can i say, extremely sweet, as if it was soaked in cheap vanilla and caramel essence, essentially girly. After a while it smells only of unidimensional sweetness and thus becomes unbearable, with an unfortunately long lasting vile aftertaste.

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Totally outstanding fougere. In my honest opinion this juice represents the essence of this category of fragrances. And what a fantastic job at that! Manly, soapy, mossy but fresh and with just a tad of sweetness - as classic as they come. Basically gives you the most pleasant, clean barbershop vibe imagineable - like an upscale luxurious shaving cream. Incredible longevity as well, keeps you confident all day. Only downside I guess is it's extreme simplicity which probably could prevent many from making English Fern their signature scent. It would perhaps get a little boring using it every day. But despite it's somewhat austere and linear character I sincerely think this should be everyones first choice in the search for the ultimate basic fougere. Truly Excellent.

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I never thought of rose as a particularly feminine smell. If you smell the actual flower in a dewy garden it smells very genderless to my nose, just a nice, mild and fresh aroma. I think it's the extremely synthetic rose in the tacky mass market fragrances of the last decade that has tarnished the reputation (and woman-ized it)of this beatiful floral component. The rose found in Geo F Trumpers ancient Rose Shaving Cream for instance smells very gentle and natural, not girlie in any way. The same can be said for Comme de Garcons Red Series Rose. So with this in mind I was never afraid or worried about the strong rose element when I finally got around to sample Hammam Boquet. After all this one was released over a century ago. Unfortunately the overall impression of the fragrance left me somewhat underwhelmed, I guess I expected a little more - afterall Penhaligon's Blenheim Boquet is one of my favourites and a monumental statement of everything brittish. Since, I've warmed up to it slightly but there is a dryness in HB which just doesn't sit well on my skin. The quality is stellar though, literally smells expensive (and it is!) and for the right person I think this could give the perfect ambiance of understated elegance. Good stuff, just not for me.

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

Very surprised that no one has mentioned the utter similarity between LP No.9 and Yves Saint Laurent's Opium Pour Homme... This is clearly a blatant rip off, neither improving or belittleing the french original. Unfortunately many of Penhaligon's recent launches follow the "Creed-trend" of plagiarism. Too bad since the mighty boquets Blenheim and Hammam & the brilliant English Fern surely stand on their own with plenty of history as well.
    Go for Opium PH instead, which ironically is cheaper as well.

Castile by Penhaligon's

A very straightforward neroli/rose combo that is perfectly unisex IMO. A bit linear and one-dimensional but nevertheless great for refreshing summer usage. Great flacon like always from this house.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This one truly is as weird as the previous reviews indicate. It's very hard to describe L'Eau Bleue but there's definitely a vegetable thing going on, the opening is sligthly reminiscent of the cilantro/coriander in the top notes of Rochas Aquaman, but the overall impression is more complex and better. I think the blue concept of this fragrance is a little deceptive, a medium green bottle would better represent the contents. Top sillage and longevity as always with Issey but do sample this oddling before buying cause it is very original and an aquired taste.

moreyete's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

I think this fragrance is too fresh and sporty and can sometimes smell terrible.If you are sporty,then go for this fragrance but if you're not you better not buy this at all.

moreyete's avatar

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

This is a fragrance that you should try.It starts off with the sweet smell of grapefruit and watermellow and then gradually accelerates to citrus notes and blackcurrant. You just have to buy David Cool Water Game for Men.

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

One of my all time favorite fragrances, Iris Silver Mist makes me feel as though I have dug my hands into the ground, dug up fresh irises and crushed them roots and all in my fingers. I would never have thought that something that reminded me of the smell of dirt could be so provocative but this seems to capture the green life potential in the earth and transfer it to your scent receptors. Hypnotic.

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Oh, this takes me back to the summer I was 18 and practically living on the beach at Port Aransas, dating the most wonderful man and making love in the dunes in the afternoon after surfing all morning. His gorgeous smell mixed with salt and warm sun. MmmmmHmmmm, pure sex. Only with the MKK it's in a bottle.

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A Lutens masterpiece, Rahat Loukoum startsoutfor me as a strong gourmand, a cherry, almond, vanilla delight that makes me want to take a bite out of my own arm. I don't get any of the cough syrup note others speak of, just pure candy. Sometime during the day, I can never pinpoint where, it transforms into a smoky, tobacco melange that reminds me of the best tack rooms. Expensive leather rubbed, oiled and stored where men have stood smoking cigars or pipes and discussing the affairs of the day. It's the best of two worlds and I am in love with it.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I admit to being a musk lover but this has to be one of the most well done musks going. It's both a soft and a slightly spicy oriental blended into the sexiest fragrance I've found. I find people of both sexes and all ages sidling up and asking me what I'm wearing. I prefer the Oil and hope never to be without a bottle

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This scent reminds me of wet earth and fresh plant matter, like I've been digging in the garden. In that respect it is faintly reminiscent of Luten's Iris Silver Mist, but only faintly. It is more astringent from the juniper and has the glorious sweet cedar base note that I wish would last just a bit longer. Alas, that's the trouble with so many of JC Ellena's masterpieces. They are too fleeting. I just reapply and think it is a small price to pay.

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I can not say this any better than MikeD. This is like genuine dried lavender crushed in a mortar and pestle. It is very similar to Encens et Lavande but somehow feels "cooler". It has a lighter feel than the Encens et Lavande that I find more wearable for myself. I will have to be in the right mood for it however.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

i fail to see what all the fuss is about. it is nice, wearable and inoffensive. but it is way overrated and there are much better fragrances than this.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

this has an intriguing and bizzare leathery/rubber(!) opening/middle, which sweetens up very nicely during the drydown to something altogether different and quite nice. however it has serious longevity issues and it seems to disappear completely (and very quickly) once this sweetness appears after a couple of hours or so and you can't smell it unless you get really up close to it. the lack of staying power explains the the neutral verdict, definitely worth a try though.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

sweet honey and woodsy frag, with a hint of smoke. well rounded and has great staying power. all in all an excellent fragrance and well worth a try.

parisa's avatar

Baby Touch by Burberry

Great to scent my two boys clothing wardrobe...I don't really apply it to their skin. It replaces fabric softeners in our house with its clean scent.

parisa's avatar

Tender Touch by Burberry

loved sampling it but once i purchased and started wearing it often, got a major migraine...not for me. It's more for people that love florals.

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Was advertised as unisex by some......it's not. Floral scent that didn't work on me at all. Interesting, but not something most men could even come close to pulling off.

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Sweet, rich and cloying. I thought it was impossible to find a cloying summer scent, but they pulled it off here. Picture creme brulee and apricots. To clarify, not a good thing.

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Good but done better by L'artisan's Ambre Extreme. Not quite as thick as that one, but nice. If you own either Ambre Sultan or Ambre Extreme, there's no reason to get this one.

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Superb. A linear scent with Basil and thyme dominating. Not much progression but never fails to leave an impression and a great comfort scent. Works well in all climates and all styles of dress. Excellent scent and one that while it might not work for everyone, is excellent. The best that MPG has to offer along with Santal Noble.