Fragrance Reviews from April 2006

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Dry vetiver based scent that is done better by countless houses. Plus the lasting power isn't the best (which in this case isn't necessarily a bad thing). There's a lot more unique and wearable selections from this house. Not my bag at all.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I just couldn't warm up to this. It always made me feel slightly nauseaous. Interesting and strong. The citrus and tobacco contrast each other, but it just doesn't work on me. Hairy chested scent that is just something I can't wear.

Fraîche Badiane by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Lemon and Anise. It should work, but it doesn't. It got weird on me and ended up having an odd drydown that reminded me of the dehydrated urine you produce after a night of heavy consumption of hard liquor. Interesting, but didn't do anything for me. Very odd scent.

Gendarme by Gendarme

when someone requests the perfect office scent, there should be a picture of this automatically sent as a reply. Crisp, clean and wonderful. It's in the vein of Bvlgari Pour Homme and a classic in the truest scents. Fabulous scent and something that you can never go wrong with. Outstanding in every sense. Timeless.

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

WEIRD. That's about all I can say. Citrus notes combined with a sickly sweet celery note. I've worn this a few times and don't know what I think. It will leave an impression if nothing else, but not something I could ever wear. There's a ton going on here though.

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

If you like iris, you'll love it. If you don't, you won't. Floral to a fault and turned rancid on me. It has very good lasting power and has a lot going on, but not something I could wear at all.

Aqua Motu / Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Hot sand in a bottle. It smells exactly like crisp carribean air. Fabulous pick me up scent with decent lasting power. It gives me something different each time I wear it and again breaks up the redudancy of many summer scents. Definitely worth a go and one of the more unique scents on the market. Excellent scent.

O'Pomelo / Pamplemousse by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Let me preface this by saying that the lasting power of this scent is the worst I've ever seen. However, this scent is great enough to overcome that sad fact. Crisp sweet grapefruit, white musk and a hint of pepper make this the best pure citrus scent available without a shadow of a doubt. While I do need to reapply a lot, this scent is refereshing and wonderful. A must have for anyone who is looking for a bright summer citrus. Unisex as they come.

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

With Centaure and RdV part of LaPorte's "Death by Vetiver" line. The vetiver strangles any other notes that are trying to appear in the dry down. Not something I ever want to wear.

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The next season of 24 might have Jack Bauer trying to capture Jean LaPorte for releasing this horrid juice on the fragrance world. There are no notes in this that can stand up to the sledgehammer use of vetiver in this scent. The use of Vetiver in this scent reminds me of the rats in medical labs who are allowed to hit the morphine button as much as they liked with any consequences not being considered. If you're a vetiver lover, it might work, but this is a crime against humanity. It doesn't so much wear as radiate off your skin. What was he thinking. This makes a Villoresi scent look like a CSP.

Eau de Santal by Floris

Good pure sandalwood scent that will leave an impression on you. Dry and not terribly medicinal like some sandalwoods can be. Decent lasting power, though the Intense version reminds me of Himalaya (but not was nicely done). Destined to be a classic and one that most people will like.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Aside from the fact that it has horrid staying power, this scent is a huge let down from a house that I hold in VERY high regard. Another fresh marine AdG knockoff that leaves the wearer wanting more. It's nice, but uncreative. I expect more from a house that has put out gems like Pour Homme and amazing Black. Too bad, I hope this isn't a sign of times to come. C'mon Bvlgari, you're better than this.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Another Malle that has some interesting stuff going on in it, but just isn't something I could wear. Honey and musk are all over the place, but there's again that rotten flower note that gets involved and sadly ruins what is very interesting in its progression. Very much on the femme end of unisex. Definitely worth a try as it will leave an impression. Just not something I could wear.

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Another scent I've tried twice and remember nothing about, aside from being mediocre. It's not offensive or bad, just a run of the mill scent that fails to do anything either way for me.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

A thinner Lolita for men. Excellent Anise based scent that is different enough for me to tip my cap to Lanvin for this one. Worth a try and a nice and classy choice that will work well in most situations.

Musc Alizé by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This scent is fun. Excellent and one of the longer lasting CSPs. Fresh crisp musk with a hairspray vibe. Fun and casual. It's one that is great for lazy weekend days with a lot of heat and humidity. Great for breaking up the monotony of Summer Citrus scents that we all have.

PikakeGirl's avatar

XOXO by XOXO

This is a really light, PINK scent. Very young and girly. It's not awful, but... It seems as though it was meant to appeal to and be worn by the pre-teen set. This is what I imagine Barbie would smell like if she were a "real" person. It's not terribly complex and I think the person who gave this to me might not know me as well as they thought! I can't imagine anyone over 18 wearing this.

Quarry's avatar

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

All that rises to the surface on me is something akin to cloves. I suppose it's the spice/carnation composition or some element of the incense note. It's so hot and ugly it's almost painful. Another demonstration of how personal chemistry and individual perception play into the marriage that is fragrance and flesh.

sjas1962's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

A winner in my book, but not the first time I wore it. It took a couple of wearings to fully appreciate. Not as in-your-face as A*Men, but the spices and woods warm up nicely and hang around for hours.

Tiberius's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

The best perfume ever made! I was only 13 when I got it..my very first designer fragrance. My sis told me that it was the ultimate mens perfume..rich, sophisticated and very expensive. I have to admit that it stank on me. It was a man's scent and I was just a boy. Anyway, that first bottle lasted me 2 years. I abandoned the fragrance for about 11 years and just started using it again after hunting for a scent that truly represents me.

It is overpowering at first but settles nicely into a lingering, rich and sweet scent. Once you get it on your clothes it will stay there for a long time.

Like I said, its very overpowering and tends to make many people nauseous when freshly applied. Now that I've grown up it smells different.. better I must say. I get compliments all the time especially from women. They find it "striking", "sophisticated" and "sexy". One galpal said that it just makes her want to follow me everywhere and another just couldn't stop leaning on my shoulder and sniffing me during a movie.

Dream Angels Halo by Victoria's Secret

Strangely, this scent is spicy-clean! It reminds me very much of Very Sexy for her (the original)but with more spice. The top notes are a little sharp at first, but they mellow into the sandalwood base very nicely. Light and fresh ~ especially nice if you're not a big fan of traditional florals. I imagine this blend would appeal to a wide array of individuals.

Very Sexy for Her by Victoria's Secret

I first smelled this on a waitress and asked her what fragrance she wore ~ tried it for myself and also recieved compliments and inquiries! I'd recommend the edp version combined with body wash or lotion for added staying power. It is actually quite fresh. The name doesn't ring true for me, but none the less a good scent. I especially like the topnotes which are very different.

Hypnôse by Lancôme

This scent is advertised as a floral-oriental which gave me the notion it would be a heavier complex mix...but not so! This is a simple, light blend of passionflower & vanilla absolut with an airy sort of vetiver base. In fact, it's the nicest & most wearable feminine vetiver I've ever had the pleasure to spritz! I really like it! It's classy, refreshing, subtle - extremely wearable in any temperature...I would highly recommend giving this one a try.

21st April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

wcbird's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I had such high expectations from this after reading so many positive things about BdP. I must say, though, that for my taste, this is a little too "old man." Admittedly, it does improve during drydown, but it still smells a little old for a 30-year old. I like the smell of grandpa, but I don't want to smell like my grandpa. It's pleasant, just not how I prefer to smell.

wcbird's avatar

Modern for Men by Banana Republic

This one for me epitomizes the rule of smell the fragrance on your body - not just on a sample. I really liked Modern when just smelling the bottle - really thought it would be something peppery, cedary. Then I sprayed it on. After an hour, I went to the bathroom and scrubbed my wrist. Really soapy smelling (before I scrubbed my wrist!)...gave me a headache. World of difference in how it smelled on. No thanks.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Refined? Naw. Battery Acid? Close enough. Do women like it? I think Paris Hilton would, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

THE ultimate clubbing scent. Pick up raunchy females clear at the other end of the bar, with just one spritz. Two and you have GOT to wear pierced earrings and sport a dumbass haircut.

Chanel has come up with a masterpiece again, only this one is a bold interpretation of every LOUD, and overbearing male citrus/wood scent made in the last decade. But what the hell, it's the best of the bunch. Good 'ole Chanel.

22 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

London Glam by Rimmel London

Only yesterday I discovered that Rimmel's London Glam for women smells EXACTLY like Oceanus from the Body Shop, which is "for men or women". It's too strong and soapy for me, and reminds me of a cheap perfume.

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Oceanus by Body Shop

Only yesterday I discovered that Oceanus from the Body Shop, which is "for men or women", smells EXACTLY like Rimmel's London Glam for women. It's too strong and soapy for me, and reminds me of a cheap perfume.

czesc's avatar

Candie's Men by Candie's

probably one of the first frags I ever tried, I never owned a bottle but I had alot of samples. I really liked it back then and looking back now I think its pretty much one of the best "candy"ish mega fruity mens scents out there. I have really grown to dislike this category of scents however, and I still consider this worthy of its own existance so that tells you alot!

czesc's avatar

Immense pour Homme by Jean-Louis Scherrer

feels like I just got out of the rain with this one. Its very pleasant watery notes but not marine at all (ie: not a saltwater smell). Very fresh but without being overly fruity. Definate not a cloying/sweet frag. I had quite a large sampler of this would typically wear it on overcast summer days.