Fragrance Reviews from April 2006

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

A very bright and positive scent,made by Olivier Polge, that blends sparkling citrus notes with tangerine, and orange.Will be one of my summer favorites. I like it!

Jae's avatar

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A forest primeval, ancient untouched first-growth. Chene is not so much a fragrance as a place, to wear and close ones eyes and be transported to the woodland and the wild. This is the place that once was before a church was built and it became CDGs Zagorsk which is no less lovely but is more controlled, forgiving, and perhaps understandable. Chene is not for rational thought but for pure escape.

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

Sporty and casual scent at that's about everytinhg. I tried this in the hope of finding a scent which would change all my previous knowledge of scents, but there was nothing special or innovative about this one. Maybe better for younger users.

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Stylish subtle scent reminding a bit of a male version of Laura. Tranquil aquatic notes, a restrained, balanced and well placed sweetness, a fruity opening, a very fresh and clean middle part, clean and cooling, followed by a refined woody ending. Still, i'm deterred by its lasting power on my skin, inacceptably poor for this price cathegory. On the other hand, i am fascinated by the artistic box and bottle, hinting both at the allmighty, irreversible mechanism of time and timeless values- thus matched perfectly with the name. One of the best creation of 1999, standing for the spirit of that year and that decade in an innovative way, emodying tasteful and well interpreted modernity and unforgetable distinction.

S Oliver Man by S Oliver

As i said before i am not a fan of sporty scents, but this one is very good for its cathegory and price. Plain, but decent, warm and sweet, discreet and comfortable to wear.

parisa's avatar

Miracle So Magic! by Lancôme

Just got it today as a gift...all I smelled was the ROSE...lots of it. I am not a floral fan but for those who enjoy rose...this is for you.

Civet by Houbigant

A friend of mine said this was one of the best scents she ever had, nursed the bottle along ,but eventually it was gone.
    You can fins a few sites online offering it for about $100.
    It long discontinued by Houbigant but evry comment has been positive and it's hard to understand why it went away.
    I know this isn't a review of the perfume per se,but a relection on those scents which are gone, but not forgotten

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I've always had mixed feelings about GIT. When I first tried it I wasn,t sure whether I really liked it, or not.
    On further experimentation, it has become a very comfortable versatile addition to my wardrobe.
    It's the drydown the clinched it for me.

Warm subtle...I just wish I had some suits to match the fragrance!.

St Johns Island Spice by West Indies Bay Company

I've used their Bay Rum..It was almost out and then my wife and I went to the Columbus Flea Market in NJ. At a small table ,way in the back ,sat a little old lady. On the table were TWO 8 ounce bottles of St. Johns Island Spice Cologne.

I asked the price ..FIVE Dollars ,she said.

Well..how could I resist..I bought both for Ten .
    As soon as I arrived home ..opened one and tried it.

The combination of Bay Rum and spices was well balanced.
    It dried down to a comfortable long lasting scent.
    I put it on at 8AM next morning and I could still detect it the next day.

22 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2008)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Secret 55 Flirtation by Victoria's Secret

Secret 55 is one of those rare finds in the world of VS fragrance! It has a distinct evolution of citrus, to powdery sweet floral, to a warm yet light and airy sandalwood base...modern and sexy, and flirtatious!!! A delicious mix. There is a unique and wonderful note carried throughout that is unidentifiable to my untrained nose...I can only say it is warm without being too heavy. Creamy. To my knowledge, this wonderful scent has been discontinued - and what a pity! If you get the chance to sample it consider yourself lucky! Hopefully VS will re-visit Secret 55 in the future.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Secret 66 Romance by Victoria's Secret

Lily of the valley here, light and fresh. A breath of spring! The shower gel is nice too.

weymouthuk's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Quite unique, theres certainly nothing else out there like Grey Flannel. You can certainly pick up the Violet top note as it dominates the fragrance. As such this makes it wholly unusual but I would say none the less enjoyable. Its true that I've yet to receive any compliments about it but then its also true that I've yet to receive any complaints. After the initial spray, the Violet note, whilst remaining throughout does subdue a little allowing the rest of the notes to come through. I think it is here that people expect to be able to pick out the individual notes of this fragrance. I find this impossible. So subtle and precise is the blending of the notes that its hard to pick out Orange, Sandalwood or any of the others for that matter. Rather they provide a subtle bed for the Violet. I myself have never been a fan of the smell of Violets but this fragrance keeps me coming back. It is not one I would wear on a date though I would wear it socially. I do wear it in the office as it is the only sweeter fragrance I've found to date that stays with me for most of the day. I guess the genius of a fragrance like this rests in its surprise factor. Because its like nothing else out their, its bound to create interest albeit unspoken. I like this. It makes a statement about you as a person rather than defining you as a fashion victim. It says your individual and not afraid to try something more interesting, older, more obscure and as such should be considered cool, and yes even chic!

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

Cheap citrus generic wood cologne. In this case, you get what you pay for.

23 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Some fragrances are referred to as " Sex in a bottle." This is crotch in a bottle.

23 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

The soapiest vetiver I've ever smelled. Some will find it quite interesting, however whenever I wore this I felt that I was about to turn into a comic book character that burped soap bubbles.

If you're a fan of barbershop scents, this may be a true love. Try it.
    I'll pass. For me, VH feels like a subtle but unfinished version of Guerlian.

23 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2009)

aubrgene's avatar

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

On my last visit to Paris ( March 2006 ), I smelled this one and instantly fell in love with it. I never buy fragrance on impulse. I went to the Frederic Malle at Rue de Grenelle and stocked up on his 'classics'. Now Im back and just had to get this scent. I bought it today at the Dior Homme boutique on Rodeo Drive . Alas, it brings me back at the Galerie Lafayette in Paris. Now I feel complete- I love this fragrance and MIGHT be my signature fragrance for the moment!!

aubrgene's avatar

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I decided to buy this fragrance today but only after I've sampled it a week ago. This scent made such an impression that I had to have it. I've always loved Lavander but this is the one that I actually would spend money on. The Annick Goutal Lavande comes second.

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

The best in from the 3 original Garden of Stars series IMHO (had not tried Angel Rose when I wrote this). It's much brighter than good old Angel and indeed much more wearable. The Piony has a spring feeling. There is a hint of spice that balances well the sweet caracter of Angel.
    Though it's edp, I feel that the Garden of Stars series is less concentrated than Angel. The new body lotion should add longevity.

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

L by Lolita Lempicka

After more sampling, on the skin this time, I somewhat have to change my first impression. There is much more deepth than I thought.
    Like Maurice Roucel's famous creation for Frederic Malle: Musc Ravageur, "L" is very ambery and vanilla-ish. "L" has a brighter opening made of oranges, I would say it's more of a very sugary preserved orange note. I smell more the spiciness of the cinnamon than that of the everlasting flower. The everlasting flower is much spicy in AG's Sables and in IUNX's Eau Ivre N°3. I get also somesort of mocha/coffee bean effect. Except for the very early stages after spraying, the fragrance is rather linear, which suits this type of gourmand well.

Quite a few non-perfume addicts talked to me about this perfume, so think it must be selling very well. Ofcourse having such a gorgeous eye catching packaging (love the orange box) helps, people are attracted to it like magnets.

This is for sure one of the highlights of 2006.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

something unsettling about this one, sour and salty at the same time and cloying. I don't understand the mass appeal

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

probably the only CK thats truly outstanding, its a shame its been discontinued. so spicy so yummy! I use to spray the fur lining of my winter coat with this back in high school so the girlies would all put their noses in it at the bus stop :)

The Dreamer by Versace

too pungent and in your face, a big recommendation is a little known jewel named M by Mimmina (its not even in our directory yet), its basicly what the dreamer should have been

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

a fun frag for teenagers, way too much orangy candy vanilla for my tastes nowadays but I use to like it (back when I had no taste :).

Eggberj's avatar

Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I would consider this one of those 'nostalgia' type scents. To me, it's reminiscent of the cinnamon sugar covered nuts they sell at little kiosks in the mall, which I might add, are quite tasty. I would hardly consider this a sexy scent, but it's very comforting and evokes good memories. Jour de Fete is something you wear for yourself, to invoke a daydream vacation.

Eggberj's avatar

Stargazer 7.71 by Yosh

Not a 'true' lily, such as Frederic Malle's Lys Mediteranee, but strikingly beautiful nonetheless. It's got a very fresh, green quality, which tempers the abundant florals. Florals generally don't work for me, but this is incredibly easy to wear, without feeling like I'd been covered in debris from an exploding florist shop. And, as with most Yosh oils, it lasts next to forever.

Spring Fever by Origins

This smells exactly like spring at my grandparents old house, standing on the hill overlooking the river. Cottonwood & fruit trees budding, new grass, daffodils & iris blooming. The cottonwoods make the air syrupy & thick, warm & sweet, like honey.
    I am thinking about putting it in a roll-on, to better control the amount. Sometimes it seems a bit strong in my cube in the beige cube-farm. It lasts all day.
    Notes: Artemesia, Apple, Marigold and Linden Blossom, Mandarin, Cypress and Watermelon.

Ginger Essence by Origins

I like this but wish it would last longer. It smells like Hansens Ginger Ale Soda, with a splash of orange. It even smells a little fizzy.
    It's very light and clean smelling, so would be great for work.

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is a very clean, nice scent, not obnoxious, great for work in the beige cube-farms. If I want to smell fresh & clean, but not advertise at all that I'm wearing PERFUME, I wear this.
    If a guy wore this, I'd think he was a classy, subtle guy, who doesn't want to kill people with his cologne.
    It's hard to say if it lasts all day, but I do notice that I can smell it on my clothes the next day, in a subtle clean way.

Jack Black Signature Black Mark by Jack Black

Lasts most of the day, smells very clean.

incedal's avatar

Geir by Geir Ness

Sorry to be the first one to give this one a thumbs down. I tried to like it but could not. With all the hype about how amazing it was, I had to get one, to my surprise it just smelt plain boring, it does not smell much different then Givency Blue label and Allure Homme Sport it has aairy fresh note and a cherry like sweetness.

The lasting power and sillage are not that good either, I know its a EDP but its not much different then a EDT, it lasted about 4 hours on my skin even during then I could hardly smell it. During the few days I wore Geir I did not get one compliment or a head turn like a few other fragrances.