Fragrance Reviews from April 2006

tinker424's avatar

Nymphéa by Il Profumo

This starts off VERY sharp, almost offensive, strong waterlily. That calms within a few minutes to a very serene waterlily scent with tiny hints of milky fig and honey. This is an aquatic scent that doesn't reek of "ozone accord" or algae. My only complaint is after inital application there is not alot sillage.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

A sparkling youthful scent - fresh and modern! I particularly love the vetiver/patchouli base wich is very classy and gives great sillage to this perfume. (I also notice Dior's Miss Dior Cherie smells almost identical...hmmmmmm.) When I sampled this one, there were 2 young ladies - maybe aged 19-22 - ahead of me gushing over their love of Coco Mademoiselle. I personally prefer "COCO", but this is quite certainly a modern day success!

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

On white paper - Sicily is all the wonderful things every previous reviewer has written! When I wear it, however, it goes a bit musty on my skin. Maybe I'll spray it on my sheets instead ~ it is truly a well crafted scent!

Lulu Guinness by Lulu Guinness

*** CORRECTION *** Please note my previous commentary is actually for the fragrance "Cast A Spell" by Lulu Guiness - Currently not listed in Basenotes directory. Sorry for any confusion.

26th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 02nd May, 2006)

Very Valentino by Valentino

Bitter floral at the opening. Rose in the middle, quite nice. Probably one of the prettiest rose notes I've smelled. Takes awhile to get down to the base - but that's o.k., because the rose stays well throughout. This is a VERY pretty fragrance creation...although it's not for me.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Paris is a creation I've literally grown to love! When it comes to personal fragrance my opinions rarely change so dramatically, but here I am ~ a changed woman. The rose notes in this perfume are light and bright, not bitter in any way. Slightly dry, maybe - but in the most polite way. I also get a nice dose of sweet violet...reminding me of those square violet pastille candies of long ago. The drydown is clean, leaving only a trace of its earlier fresh cut summer bouquet as the musk & woods unify the entire blend. I truly believe my 'nose' has become better educated over the past year, and has acquired a greater appreciation of rose & violet notes in particular. Thankfully, I've been re-introduced to this gorgeous scent, it's a real beauty! I adore it.

26th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 26th June, 2007)

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Along the same lines as Annick Goutal's Eau De Hadrien...except Mugler Cologne has a musk base rather than the woods of EDH. I think it would be great to switch off between the two during the heat of summer ~ absolutely fresh, AND uni-sex!

Still by Jennifer Lopez

An odd, stale smelling scent, obviously not a fragrance for me.

26th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17th April, 2008)

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This chypre is light, yet deeply rich with the fragrance of honey, amber, woods, and egyptian musk. It lies close to the skin, making it more subtle. I noticed there are several bath products in this scent, and would imagine you could layer this fragrance to get stronger sillage or staying power that suits your taste.
    Sexy AND classy ~ breathtaking!

St John by St John

This floral oriental fragrance comes from the fashion designer by the same name. St John's clothing is sophisticated - and I think this fragrance has the same feel, however, it has a kind of 'stinky' top note & doesn't catch onto the "sophistication" until after the drydown. Not particularly modern. A bit cloying. I'll pass.

Crystal Noir by Versace

Crystl Noir is not a fragrance I'll choose to wear, but I do think it's excellent! There is no mistaking the gardenia/amber blend here, but it is not quite THAT simple. Strangely, when I spritzed this one on, the first scent I noticed was coconut!!! Very unusual, but not off putting by any means. Not the beachy variety ~ more like delectible and creamy. There was also a slight fruity - possibly citrus - note that made me smell pina colada! That phase lasted for awhile, making me feel like I was on a tropical vacation - out at a ritzy late night dance club, schmoozing with celebs! This scent felt more like an 'experience' than anything else. The amber is warm, the gardenia is sweet, and they compliment eachother perfectly! When you test this one, I hope it's fun for you too!

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

This Asian inspired elixir is very nice! The orange flower melts into the ginger effortlessly. Basenotes of honey and sandalwood give a light warmth, not heavy or cloying at all. The woodsiness is only slightly sweet, and the entire potion never comes off too 'food-y'. Quite excellent in my opinion. Simple yet sophisticated, very wearable. If you enjoy wearing Armani Mania for women, this scent would be a great hot weather alternative for you. The bottle is an absolute work of art!

True Star Gold by Tommy Hilfiger

Smelled a magazine sample of this and thought it was worthy of a real test run. I don't find it remarkable in any way. There are so many GREAT modern scents available, I don't see any reason to waste time with this sort of blase' concoction. Maybe someone else will find something worthwhile about True Star Gold.

Must de Cartier by Cartier

A beautifully made scent—extraordinarily well balanced and crafted. Not overtly feminine, but I think that element is definitely there. Just as with Must de Cartier Pour Homme, I find this one exquisitely crafted but lacking a special distinction. It needs a touch of uniqueness—a counterpoint—along the elegant flow.

26th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 06th December, 2010)

abg123's avatar

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Very interesting scent, it captures the smell of the sea in a very classy, and formal way. Great to dress upp to or wear to a polo along the coast. Excellent fragrance, who could have thought that something so new (2205) and so massmarketed could live up to the hype.

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

Orange sponge cake mixed to Angel without patchouli. The loss of patchouli makes it indeed a bit boring but it wins in wear-ability. The box of Innocent describes it as "airy", though it's a gourmand there really is something clean and fresh to it.
    on a plain, I think many people will rather prefer sitting next to someone who wears Innocent than next to an Angel-addict.

czesc's avatar

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

very undecided at first spritz, but calms down nicely after about an hour. from then on its absolutley intoxicating. One thing I must mention is that I smell alot more jasmine than rose, contrary to most of the other reviews

czesc's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

very dated, the bay leaf makes it almost smell like deli style dill pickles... gets better on the drydown. Definatley a classic but some classics better remain in memory than on the skin ;)

demegorgon's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

Rochas Man smells great from the bottle but the drydown is very powdery and cloying. I preffer A*man or HM over this.

DOCPSYCHO's avatar

Greyland by Montale

A very heady brew of deep fresh cut wood shavings. Cedar for certain. The description on the Aedes website says there is sandalwood in there but to my nose the other woods overpower it. This fragerance is not for the faint of heart or if your looking for light ephemeral stuff that you may or may not catch a light whiff of during the day. To my nose this is knock your sox off manly. I seem to detect a basenote of ambergris as well that gives it a slight animalistic charicter as well. Quite complex with an almost inscensy headiness. Well worth sampling. I wouldnt get this scent blind though. Now that I have tried it I find it quite bottleable for myself though.

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

So here I am wearing this for the first time and suddenly I feel like I should be in a harem, one of many of maharajas women... eating exotic fruit... listening to beautiful, longing music, warm night air brushing my long black curls of my face. LOL I know that may sound bad, but that is the first thing that came to my mind when I smelled it on myself. I really like this, even though I have to be honest that this would not be something I would wear often enough to grant a purchase of a full bottle. I’ll stick with my sample for now and when I run out I’ll probably buy another one :) ADDITIONAL NOTE: This somewhat reminds me of Black Cashmere by Donna Karen

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

When I wear this beauty I see big, NO HUGE... wax blossoms...mmm something out of the garden of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory... oozing with sumptuous fragrance...oozing like honey, dripping like the creamiest of ice-creams... melting into my skin...blending until they are only ONE... velvety fields of floral delight... tuberose blossoms as big as dinner plates and jasmine scented creamsicles... orangy color lifting all worry and sadness of the world and coloring the whole world in orange delight and 'orange smiles'!!!! I love the creaminess in this fragrance, love the way it lingers and caresses you with delicate fingertips and soft whispers in your hair... This is the fragrance of joy and delight and calm and love and all that is smiles and heart bursting with happiness...

HackerX's avatar

Thé Vert by Roger & Gallet

Finally, a superb green tea fragrance for men. The green tea is very pure and natural in this one, it simply dominates, and with the added woods it gives a mascluine character. It's really soothing and uplifting, and it could be worn any season, anytime and any occasion. The longevity is also quite surprising. This one is definitely on par with my beloved Yang, and as far as tea scents go, this is definitely right up there in the top 3 if not the best.

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I really like this fragrance.It's classy, but not too heavy.It has this nice combination of flowers...mostly roses and jasmin on me,combined with a spicy note.The drydown gets a littlebit less sweet and turns more woody.One of my favourite Chanels:)

J'Adore by Christian Dior

I used to love this when i was younger.It made me feel sofisticated and dressed up. Now I guess my taste has changed slightly. I still like it,but tend not to wear it that often.I think somehow it's a bit too ordinary, because too many people wears this perfume.But when I wear it I get lots of compliments and this one used to be a favourite of an ex of mine.It's a lot of memories attached to this one too, so I get a bit nostalgic when I smell it.So all in all I have mixed emotions about this one.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

The first time I tried N.R I hoenstly had to double check if it really said "To her" on the bottle.I found it a bit masculine ,and was put off by it.I guess I had expected something totally different.I however decided to give it another try a few months later.Then I felt completely different about it. It is slightly masculine, in a strange way.The opening is somehow spicy...reminds me of pinetrees with a touch of spices.after a while it calms down and turns into a soft,comfortabel scent.Reminds me of...cork and it's defenitely a touch of honey in it.If you expect a scent to smell a LOT this one isn't for you.After a while I can't smell it that well.It is a very "close to the skin"scent.But it makes me feel comfortable and sofisticated.Love it now!!

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

The topnotes in this fragrance is the freshest.After a while it turns into a sweeter, more fruity scent.I think it's a nice summer fragrance.Espesially here where it's not that hot and humid. but I can imagine that this one can be a bit too fruity for some people.To me this is a nice change from all the more classic fragrances I normally wear.(I like vanilla and rose based scents)I must say it's not a scent I wear that often,but like it when I'm into a bit more romatic mood.My boyfriend really like sthis one.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

I recall wearing this to a job interview/seminar four years ago. One of the employees I was talking to stepped away from me for a brief moment to do something. Seconds later, she comes right back to me to conversate some more. It must have been this scent that captivated her senses. It is a very woody, sweet-sexy fragrance that's suited for a mature man. Only problem is you have to reapply this scent, does not last long.

Rochas Man by Rochas

Starts off with a rich, buttery chocolate note. Then after awhile, the sweet lavender notes intertwine with the chocolate. Creating an aura of subtle beauty, like two graceful dancers. It last forever, girls will faint.

Ungaro III by Ungaro

One of the most complex scents ever. At first blast, it smells of wet rose with pepper accord. Then It dries down to a deep, sensual aroma. I don't know if I would chacterize this as the 'dark' title given by many reviewers here. All I know is that it is really good, magnificent!!!!1